• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

anaron

same quote basically

"@debrabirnbaum: Channing Dungey says moving #AgentsofSHIELD to 10pm will allow Marvel to take more creative creative risks and try darker material."

It's been said before, but Daisy is way too OP for this show. Maybe this universe. She could probably wreck Thor's shit.

If something isn't done to depower her before Infinity War part 2 than there really is no way they can explain away why she wouldn't be on the front lines.

They're totally going to depower her before Infinity War part 2.

Shows going to be cancelled before Infinity War 2, no nerf needed

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is honestly exciting for season 4, the writers have always been trying to push the show to some dark places.

This reminds me how pretty much every season we had at least one death scene that gave us pause, lol.

They're gonna say shit on TV aren't they!!

YU9RFAd.gif

shingi70

Banned
Seems pointless considering they'll now have two hours beforehand of programming that doesn't really lead into Shield. Could have had shieled at 9 andost wanted at 10.

MajorMane

If it helps with going a little edgier, that'll be great. Edgier Shield is usually better.

Plus, it helps me watch all my comic book shows on Tuesdays.

Does this mean they are trying to get closer to the Netflix Marvel shows in terms of tone and themes? If so then that can only be a good thing.

Penguin

I'm a fan of the new time slot.

Flash -> iZombie -> S.H.I.E.L.D. would be perfect.
Well that's assuming the CW keeps its current schedule.
The Flash won't move, but I can see iZombie moving since it is a decent enough performer to pair it with another show and use The Flash to help an ailing show or launch a new one.

Does this mean they are trying to get closer to the Netflix Marvel shows in terms of tone and themes? If so then that can only be a good thing.

No
Network TV still has some restrictions just more lax at 10 than 8

And it's mostly PR speak to justify the move to 10pm. Because saying it wasn't working as an anchor show doesn't really bode well.

duckroll

Moving the time slot is just the first step before the eventual announcement that trying riskier things with the show didn't pay off and ABC will pass on renewing the series.

SHIELD is in the wrong place. A genre show on a network surrounded by procedural after procedual and comedies? It was never going to grow it's audience on traditional TV. I'd love to see the move to Netflix, and then integrate it with the DD/JJ/Punisher crowd. That way the TV side of the MCU can really tell the movie side to kiss its ass.

Boem

SHIELD is in the wrong place. A genre show on a network surrounded by procedural after procedual and comedies? It was never going to grow it's audience on traditional TV. I'd love to see the move to Netflix, and then integrate it with the DD/JJ/Punisher crowd. That way the TV side of the MCU can really tell the movie side to kiss its ass.

Meh, I wouldn't want shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones being bogged down by having to take Shield into account. It would probably improve the quality of Shield as a show, but I'm scared of the effect it would have on DD/JJ. None of the Netflix shows would be improved by Fitzsimmons being able to turn up, or implementing stuff like the Inhumans into their storylines.

Referencing the biker gang from Shield in Daredevil, or mentioning that one bad guy from Shield on that boxing poster is about as far as you can take it, I think.

Dungey also reconfirmed that despite Most Wanted not getting a series order, the network still has other Marvel projects in development. Though who knows if they'll even get pilot orders.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, since POI won't be back, I don't have a show that interferes with SHIELD at 10/9. Though, I much prefer just having the Flash/SHIELD 2 hour block. Not sure if there's anything left that I care to watch in that middle hour now.

Khaz

Meh, I wouldn't want shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones being bogged down by having to take Shield into account. It would probably improve the quality of Shield as a show, but I'm scared of the effect it would have on DD/JJ. None of the Netflix shows would be improved by Fitzsimmons being able to turn up, or implementing stuff like the Inhumans into their storylines.

Referencing the biker gang from Shield in Daredevil, or mentioning that one bad guy from Shield on that boxing poster is about as far as you can take it, I think.

It doesn't have to be that, though. Daredevil could have a threat assessment episode where agents manage to corner him, he'd fight back for our viewing pleasure (maybe a baton showdown with Mockingbird, or Daisy messing up his senses with her blasts) and then escapes as Coulson wisely agrees that he's doing good work. Besides, they're here to manage enhanced people, not to deal with the Mafia.

Jessica Jones would have had an encounter with some agents after her public call for witnesses, agents more interested in her own powers than the mythical Killgrave. She'd tell them to f* off in a typical JJ way, and would go her merry way.

As for Agents of Shield, these two would never come to the base, but could cooperate to some extent when a mission brings the agents in Hell's kitchen.

Moving the time slot is just the first step before the eventual announcement that trying riskier things with the show didn't pay off and ABC will pass on renewing the series.

Odds are it's toast once it meets the syndication minimum. Dungey has already proven herself to be less generous to struggling shows than her predecessor was.

...and I know I'm repeating myself, but I still can't believe Most Wanted even made it to the pilot stage. A direct spinoff of a struggling show, one that had literally no chance of drawing anyone who wasn't still watching the parent series. With genius decisions like that, no wonder Disney ousted Paul Lee.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
SHIELD at 10? Camera is going to linger an extra second or two when someone burns alive, or they're removing someone's skull.

Khaz

About Bobbi, now that Barbara Morse has been outed as a spy and can no longer work for a federal agency as such, could she instead put on a mask and protect her secret identity with an alias, to continue working with Shield? Eh? Especially now that Most wanted won't happen.

"No one will ever recognise me under this mask!"

Volimar

^She'll come back just in time to be replaced by a Skrull.

I wouldn't be surprised if iZombie gets moved to Monday to lead in Supergirl. Having AoS not compete with my CW shows would be great.

JSevere

moving to 10pm means Flash and SHIELD back to back will no longer be a thing. that block has served my Tuesday nights well the past couple of years

but if it means the writers have more freedom then I'm all for it

Stage On

moving to 10pm means Flash and SHIELD back to back will no longer be a thing. that block has served my Tuesday nights well the past couple of years

but if it means the writers have more freedom then I'm all for it

Well crap, Moving it to 10pm means I can't just watch Flash and Shield straight back to back. Since I'm not the only one who wants the tv this makes it a total pain in the butt since I'd have to leave the living room for an hour only to come back which is just more trouble then it's worth especially when my parents have a show at 10 they already watch

anaron

Odds are it's toast once it meets the syndication minimum. Dungey has already proven herself to be less generous to struggling shows than her predecessor was.

...and I know I'm repeating myself, but I still can't believe Most Wanted even made it to the pilot stage. A direct spinoff of a struggling show, one that had literally no chance of drawing anyone who wasn't still watching the parent series. With genius decisions like that, no wonder Disney ousted Paul Lee.

I don't know that the decisions made necessarily reflect hers entirely. She's incredibly well liked but she directly has to report to Ben Sherwood, who is a total bean counter.

XcysQGq.jpg

That's not how it works.

and I'm pretty sure they only ever ordered a script.

They made a put pilot "commitment," which means they have to pay a penalty if they don't produce and air a pilot.

However, a quick Google search turns up a number of other put pilots from last fall that didn't get actual pilot orders and weren't in contention for this fall. I can only assume that said penalty is much less than the cost of actually producing a pilot, and that networks these days see it as a cheap way to lock down shows that they're merely considering for pilot orders.

I don't know that the decisions made necessarily reflect hers entirely. She's incredibly well liked but she directly has to report to Ben Sherwood, who is a total bean counter.

XcysQGq.jpg

Fair, but whether it's Dungey herself or more Sherwood, the point still stands. Lee seemed to give a blank check to everything ABC Studios produced, and that era is clearly over.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
That's not how it works.

and I'm pretty sure they only ever ordered a script.

ABC Developing Marvel Universe Comedy Series - Variety

As for put pilots:

Slanguage Dictionary - Variety

What and How Networks Order During Pilot Season - Backstage

Television pilot - Wikipedia

Now, I don't actually know how much of this actually works in real life, but all indications point to it working like that.

EDIT:
They made a put pilot "commitment," which means they have to pay a penalty if they don't produce and air a pilot.

However, a quick Google search turns up a number of other put pilots from last fall that didn't get actual pilot orders and weren't in contention for this fall. I can only assume that said penalty is much less than the cost of actually producing a pilot, and that networks these days see it as a cheap way to lock down shows that they're merely considering for pilot orders.

Fair enough.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also: if next season doesn't shift away from Inhumans as the primary focus of the show, I'm probably done.

The Hive/Ward/Hydra thing does seem like the logical endpoint for this particular Inhuman-heavy arc, but I imagine they are going to be a pretty important part of the show. I mean, it gives them an easy and constant source of new super-people while still being able to be conveniently ignored by the actual film MCU. Even moreso now that the Inhumans movie is at least like 4 years out.

ABC Developing Marvel Universe Comedy Series - Variety

As for put pilots:

Slanguage Dictionary - Variety

What and How Networks Order During Pilot Season - Backstage

Television pilot - Wikipedia

Now, I don't actually know how much of this actually works in real life, but all indications point to it working like that.

EDIT:

Fair enough.

Yeah, those definitions of the term must be pretty outdated, because I've had no trouble Googling several other put pilots "ordered" around the same time that are nowhere to be found on THR's pilot scorecard (The Family Show, Ordinary People, Murder Town) - and that's just for ABC alone.

Top Bottom