• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

She is calling a spade a spade, but outside of inhumans, there isn't really anything I can think of from AoS that the movies should bother to mention or tying together.

Daredevil, Punisher, JJ, Elektra, Luke Cage on the other hand, though, should be more closely tied together. Would have been nice to at least get a "Devil from Hell's kitchen" mention in CW. We'll see how Luke Cage handles it as well, now that it will be the only show that takes place after the accords. The netflix shows have not mentioned a lot of stuff from the MCU outside of the new york incident and I believe Hulk vs Abomination fight.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If Alfre Woodard will really play a different character on the show than she did in Civil War, then chances are Luke Cage will care even less about keeping it loosely connected.

Khaz

You have to wonder why there is no sign of the Advanced Threat Containment Unit when discussing accords about dealing with enhanced people like the Avengers, and building prisons to contains the ones who won't sign. Why is Ross around but not Talbot?

You have to wonder why there is no sign of the Advanced Threat Containment Unit when discussing accords about dealing with enhanced people like the Avengers, and building prisons to contains the ones who won't sign. Why is Ross around but not Talbot?

Presumably, classifying the Avengers as "threats" to be contained wouldn't go over well with at least a decent chunk of the public, given all the good they've done. Thus (Civil War spoilers)
they instead dropped them into a top secret superhuman Guantanamo in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no fanfare.

Khaz

Presumably, classifying the Avengers as "threats" to be contained wouldn't go over well with at least a decent chunk of the public, given all the good they've done. Thus (Civil War spoilers)
they instead dropped them into a top secret superhuman Guantanamo in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no fanfare.

But that's ATCU's secret branch (SHIELD) prerogative though. Who is Ross responding to?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
^^^
The Accords was a multi-national agreement, which I guess the Secretary of State was a part of. It speaks to the importance to the the Accords that he himself is meeting with the Avengers.

A name drop was the least we should have had nonetheless. Something about "all those vigilantes in New York, wearing devil costumes" etc. Even though the Sokovia Accords were officially framed to address all enhanced individuals, all that was talked about was the Avengers. Even the status of Black Panther, an Enhanced person, vigilante, but with a diplomatic status, isn't addressed. The film gave us cool action sequences, it had a great plot putting the Avengers against each other, but the regulation in the background was super crap. Not even a discussion of what enhanced means, when one of the Avenger is a normal human with super spy training, and many others are regular people with technology.
Look, we're not going to get namedrops, because of the politics of the situation. We just have to deal with it. I understand wanting to know the nuts and bolts of the Accords, but it's not really needed to keep the movie going. I think they got their point across by using the term "enhanced." Something like that used to be addressed in ancillary products, like a novelization.

Mack gets turned inhuman. It is actually him in space with the cross. New superpowers mean he is OK. Calling it
He gets the same powers as the demon from Fallen, thus Fallen Agent. Boom!

Fuu

Ross is the Secretary of State, so he reports directly to the President.

I know the answer is "movies don't care about TV lol", but a possible in-universe explanation could be that Ellis decided to leave the dealings with the accords (CW)
and the Raft
separate from the ATCU because he knew Coulson would raise a major stink.

Talbot is officially "in charge" of the ATCU but he technically responds to Coulson. Ellis probably prefers to have someone separate dealing with the Sokovia Accords. Also, having other world leaders keeping a closer eye on the ATCU isn't in the longterm interests of any of the involved.

If Alfre Woodard will really play a different character on the show than she did in Civil War, then chances are Luke Cage will care even less about keeping it loosely connected.

There's no "if." Her character in Civil War is named Miriam (presumably after the comics character Miriam Sharpe), not Mariah, and even if that weren't the case, it's completely impossible to reconcile her character there with the villainous politician/crime boss she's apparently playing in Luke Cage.

jph139

I mean, Sousa from Agent Carter also played Random Cop #2 in Avengers, so it's not like this is the first dual casting in the MCU.

Random Cop is Sousa's grandson. Random Lady is Mariah's estranged twin sister. I dunno.

Fuu

Either way, my point was that I don't think Luke Cage will ever bother making a single mention of the accords. Or any of the Netflix shows for that matter.

edit: although registration could make for some interesting cases for Jessica or Matt to get involved with in the future...

Khaz

Either way I don't think Luke Cage will ever bother making a single mention of the accords. Or any of the Netflix shows for that matter.

edit: although registration could make for some interesting cases for Jessica and Matt to get involved with in the future...

Luke Cage is an origin story, so no accord there. Maybe a bit of super-soldier serum lore, but probably not much.

We don't even know what qualifies as enhanced, and if the accords is about regulating the international operations of these enhanced only or something else.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Either way, my point was that I don't think Luke Cage will ever bother making a single mention of the accords. Or any of the Netflix shows for that matter.

edit: although registration could make for some interesting cases for Jessica or Matt to get involved with in the future...

The Netflix shows typically are set at the time they were filming, so I expect Luke Cage to pick up in September 2015, right before the conclusion of Ant-Man and the beginning of Agents of SHIELD's season three. (And ... during ... Daredevil season two, I guess)

Fuu

Luke Cage is an origin story, so no accord there. Maybe a bit of super-soldier serum lore, but probably not much.

We don't even know what qualifies as enhanced, and if the accords is about regulating the international operations of these enhanced only or something else.
It will be comprised of flashbacks and stuff that takes place after JJ too, basically how DD and JJ did it. Mike Colter said this:

"I can tell you what they’ve allowed me to, which is basically Luke Cage will take place a few months after Jessica Jones. So in real time, if you watch Jessica Jones, you’ll find [at the end] Luke Cage uptown in Harlem, working, trying to make ends meet."
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Marvel-Luke-Cage-Netflix-Series-Take-Place-91817.html

The Netflix shows typically are set at the time they were filming, so I expect Luke Cage to pick up in September 2015, right before the conclusion of Ant-Man and the beginning of Agents of SHIELD's season three. (And ... during ... Daredevil season two, I guess)
Good point yeah. It doesn't hurt the shows, but the timeline of the Netflix shows is still kind of muddy in the grander scheme.

Hint:
They're back in the finale.

Source? If you mean the official synopsis, they're still credited as regulars for the last few episodes, in which they didn't appear, so that doesn't mean anything.

Even if that were true, though, it wouldn't have anything to do with Most Wanted not being picked up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Given that Marvel Studios and Marvel Television are separate divisions, not likely.

Anyway, boo fuckin' hoo. The AoS showrunners and writers have no rational reason to expect the film side to follow their lead; if they want to maintain the #ItsAllConnected pretense and avoid getting questions like this, it's on them to avoid storylines that take place on a global, public scale. Studios proper may not have stopped them from ending S2 or beginning S3 the way they did, but they certainly didn't force AoS to do so, either.

the problem is that AoS gets all the limitations of being in the shared Marvel movie universe, but none of the perks. Sure, maybe AoS shouldn't do big world-threatening stories, but it also wouldn't kill Marvel to have a movie hero show up every once in a while for a one-off adventure.

Volimar

You don't see Tony Stark telling Black Widow to go home though! Daredevil could probably kick Hawkguy's ass too, so it's not like everyone on the team matters.

I think it has a lot more to do with Spidey's connection to the Avengers in other media. He teams up with them on the regular. Still, I really wish they'd throw the other heroes a bone.

Source? If you mean the official synopsis, they're still credited as regulars for the last few episodes, in which they didn't appear, so that doesn't mean anything.

Even if that were true, though, it wouldn't have anything to do with Most Wanted not being picked up.

Hmm, that is possible. I hope they show up for the final battle, though.

MajorMane

Just came to post this.

Uhh, yeah, I have no clue what's going on.
Dream sequence maybe? Hallucination?

EDIT: Yahoo article related, sort of: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/39-agents-of-s-h-i-1430049850908726.html

Favorite quote:

Hive may not be able to beat them with brute force, but he’s certainly proven to be quite a persuader. How would he do in an all-out charmfest? Grant Ward definitely holds his own against the likes of Steve Rogers and Tony Stark in terms of good looks. “Maybe he would do quite well at a bar,” muses Dalton. “Hive does his research. I bet he would read every single book there was on how to win on a first date — the right thing to say at the right time.” He’s also mysterious, a snappy dresser, and, adds Dalton, “He has Malick’s money. So he’s got a lot of things going for him.” So maybe he stands a chance against the Avengers? “Here’s the real answer,” he says with a laugh. “Put me in a movie and let’s find out.”

But Spiderman can lift cars and shit
Daredevil can punch people
Jessica Jones can solve mysteries
None of them really useful in a fight with Capt, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, Ant Man, and Bucky
Hawkeye shoots arrows.

Daisy Johnson can vibrate your heart into mush and level a base walking around casually.

Fuu

This necklace shit is ridiculous lol. Hope the finale is good despite all the death teasing.

Hawkeye shoots arrows.

Daisy Johnson can vibrate your heart into mush and level a base walking around casually.

It's been said before, but Daisy is way too OP for this show. Maybe this universe. She could probably wreck Thor's shit.

If something isn't done to depower her before Infinity War part 2 than there really is no way they can explain away why she wouldn't be on the front lines.

They're totally going to depower her before Infinity War part 2.

TheOddOne

Two hour season finale today:
Season 3: episode 21 "Absolution" and episode 22 "Ascension"

S.H.I.E.L.D. TAKES ON HIVE – WHO WILL LIVE, AND WHO WILL DIE? – ON THE MUST-SEE TWO HOUR SEASON FINALE OF ‘MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.’ ON ABC “Absolution”/”Ascension” – It’s a showdown a season in the making as S.H.I.E.L.D. takes on Hive, and when his master plan is finally revealed, the team must spring into action. Who will live, and who will die? Things heat up in the exciting two-hour season finale of “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,”
- Promo for the season finale.
- ICYMI: 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' Renewed For Season 4.

I mean, Sousa from Agent Carter also played Random Cop #2 in Avengers, so it's not like this is the first dual casting in the MCU.

Random Cop is Sousa's grandson. Random Lady is Mariah's estranged twin sister. I dunno.

Still not as bad as Doctor Who. They had a random Torchwood Employee get killed by Cybermen in the Season 2 finale only for her to be cast as the companion of Season 3. I think the excuse there was "cousins"

duckroll

Daisy Johnson being super OP and yet largely disconnected from the larger Marvel U is something that's consistent with the comics as well though. Bendis first created her for his Secret War miniseries, where it was clear she was super duper powerful and Fury's ace in the hole. But she doesn't join the Avengers or help in much else other than stuff Bendis wrote. She showed up at the end of Secret Invasion with the Secret Warriors. But other than that I think she was mostly just stuck in Secret Warriors until the character was revived due to the TV show. Even Hickman hasn't really shown much interest in the character despite writing all of Secret Warriors after Bendis handed it over.

Special C

Daisy Johnson being super OP and yet largely disconnected from the larger Marvel U is something that's consistent with the comics as well though. Bendis first created her for his Secret War miniseries, where it was clear she was super duper powerful and Fury's ace in the hole. But she doesn't join the Avengers or help in much else other than stuff Bendis wrote. She showed up at the end of Secret Invasion with the Secret Warriors. But other than that I think she was mostly just stuck in Secret Warriors until the character was revived due to the TV show. Even Hickman hasn't really shown much interest in the character despite writing all of Secret Warriors after Bendis handed it over.

MCU Daisy doesn't strike me as OP as Comic Daisy though. She's OP as far as the AoS cast goes but not really on the Hulk/Thor level, and about on par with Wanda and Vision.

duckroll

MCU Daisy doesn't strike me as OP as Comic Daisy though. She's OP as far as the AoS cast goes but not really on the Hulk/Thor level, and about on par with Wanda and Vision.

That's because she's held back by awful writing. Lol. She has the power to bring down cities and to destroy your heart or brain with just a thought, but instead all she does is fire weakass shockwaves. It's hilarious.

That's because she's held back by awful writing. Lol. She has the power to bring down cities and to destroy your heart or brain with just a thought, but instead all she does is fire weakass shockwaves. It's hilarious.

Some of that is just budget, but yeah, I feel like I can count on one hand the number of times that she (or Lincoln, for that matter) has done something more interesting with her powers than standing in place for ten seconds while shooting CG out of her hands.

Khaz

She did show a bit more in the last few episodes when she got unleashed. She crushed Malick's head, snapped the spine of a skrull, pinned Fitz to a wall and almost levelled the base. Of course now that she is freed from the influence of Hive, she will go back to shooting repulsive shockwaves
and do kickass action sequence shots.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

IIRC she was fucking up Mack pretty bad during that rescue- and extraction-mission.
kwFqPb0.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I probably won't be able to watch tonight because of the basketball game but I hope it's good! Last season's finale was great.

Boem

If Daisy shows up in the movies, it'll be a quick 2-second shot during Infinity Wars or something, when we see Thanos' forces raining down on earth or something (I don't know the comics, no idea what will happen). But I'm not even counting on that. The only thing from the TV shows right now that has a chance of showing up at one point is Daredevil, I think. And even that will be a stretch.

Fuu

They could push the risk of Daisy's powers fucking up her body as a reason for her not unleashing it all the time. It's an interesting angle that was there before and it works as justification.

Disney's had pretty strong success with The Force Awakens, showing that they can take a strong franchise and successfully pass the torch to a younger generation of heroes. I think that's what they'll eventually do with the MCU.

Around Phase 6 or 7, we're going to see SHIELD Director Daisy Johnson and Parker Industries CEO Peter Parker bringing together a new team of Avengers.

Top Bottom