• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

ZeoVGM

Banned
Did a Gotham fan seriously get the Agents thread locked by making a parody thread out of anger for the love Agents was getting?

My goodness.

I remember when folks were saying that they had no chemistry and shouldn't be together. Now, that relationship is one of the best things about the show. It certainly provides us with the best acting performances by a long shot. Plus you throw Ophelia (she's Ophelia to me now dammit! she's alive) in to monkey wrench their relationship and it's top notch.
All the FitzMack stuff feels like yesterday.

We've come so far.

LotusHD

Banned
I remember when folks were saying that they had no chemistry and shouldn't be together. Now, that relationship is one of the best things about the show. It certainly provides us with the best acting performances by a long shot. Plus you throw Ophelia (she's Ophelia to me now dammit! she's alive) in to monkey wrench their relationship and it's top notch.

I kinda got it at first because it was pretty one-sided with Fitz loving her in a romantic way first. Then the show continue to build upon in Season 3 and onwards. One of the best parts concerning their relationship was when Simmons slept with that guy on the blue planet, and Fitz surprisingly wasn't a cliche ass about it. He wasn't 100% happy about it of course, but he silently kept it to himself for the most part and did his best to bring the guy back to Earth.

Altazor

Did a Gotham fan seriously get the Agents thread locked by making a parody thread out of anger for the love Agents was getting?

My goodness.

once more: some people are salty.

I kinda got it at first because it was pretty one-sided with Fitz loving her in a romantic way first. Then the show continue to build upon in Season 3 and onwards. One of the best parts concerning their relationship was when Simmons slept with that guy on the blue planet, and Fitz surprisingly wasn't a cliche ass about it. He wasn't 100% happy about it of course, but he silently kept it to himself for the most part and did his best to bring the guy back to Earth.

That was a beautiful scene for Iain and Elizabeth:
-"You think I didn't look for dirt on him? I did. And there's nothing! I can't hate him, he's great - why else would you fall for him? He did everything right..."
-"AND YOU DOVE THROUGH A HOLE IN THE UNIVERSE FOR ME!"
*Fitz just stares at her for a second and bam, kisses her like there's no tomorrow*

LotusHD

Banned

My goodness.

Is that why it's closed?

Damn, guess AoS really does bother ppl like that. Admittedly the AoS title was pretty provocative
although accurate
, making a parody thread over it is amusing lol

Ithil

Is that why it's closed?

Damn, guess AoS really does bother ppl like that. Admittedly the AoS title was pretty provocative
although accurate
, making a parody thread over it is amusing lol

For some reason a number of people have this vehement hatred of AoS and an obsession about telling everyone else about their hatred constantly.

I dropped the series at the end of season 3. Should I pick it up again? Now that a fifth season has been confirmed it may be worth it if the current season is good.

Edit: I liked the third season but I gave up on the show because I hate following shows that get cancelled prematurely and ratings for season 3 were rather grim.

lol people actually said that? They are the most obvious pair that should or at least would end up together.

Volimar

For some reason a number of people have this vehement hatred of AoS and an obsession about telling everyone else about their hatred constantly.

Gaf seems particularly afflicted with these types of people. Also the hate watchers. I used to love watching shows along with the thread butI rarely do these days just because those people color my enjoyment. Not even speaking of AoS particularly.

I'll echo the few people that thought the Ghost Rider arc was actually the low point of the season. The character is great and the VFX are spectacular, but I just wasn't feeling it. The arc's villains were simply boring and maybe the team being split up and keeping secrets from each other for most of the arc bothered me more than it should have.

TDLink

S4 is the best superhero show on any platform. It's legit crazy good.

Oh wow, that good? That's great news!

It's better this year, and of course it's subjective but...that's very much hyperbole.

There's a lot of good superhero TV out there now and while AoS S4 is at least competitive with the others (unlike the prior three seasons), I still wouldn't say it's the best out there definitively, and certainly not better than very strong past seasons like Flash season 1 or Arrow Season 2.

I will say, I wish AoS had been this good for the prior 3 seasons. So it's pretty impressive how much they improved it. But still, let's not get crazy.

LotusHD

Banned
It's better this year, and of course it's subjective but...that's very much hyperbole.

There's a lot of good superhero TV out there now and while AoS S4 is at least competitive with the others (unlike the prior three seasons), I still wouldn't say it's the best out there definitively, and certainly not better than very strong past seasons like Flash season 1 or Arrow Season 2.

I will say, I wish AoS had been this good for the prior 3 seasons. So it's pretty impressive how much they improved it. But still, let's not get crazy.

Well like you said, it's subjective lol

I'mma always say AoS S4 is better than everything else, including Flash and Arrow's best seasons, just as there will be those that disagree. As long as no one becomes a total asshole over which shows are best, it's not a big deal tbh

TDLink

Well like you said, it's subjective lol

I'mma always AoS S4 is better than everything else, just as there will be those that disagree. As long as no one becomes a total asshole over which shows are best, it's not a big deal tbh

Of course. I just think it's easier to trust opinions when people are more moderate in their view rather than those who instantly jump to "the best ever" or "the worst ever" kind of descriptors. Would I recommend S4 of this show? Yes. But for someone interested it's a bit misleading to say "It's the best ever". Even if that's genuinely what you believe, it's best not to set expectations that high. Especially considering this show's staunch fans that insisted S2 was so much better than S1. And that S3 was getting better than S2 (early on, before admitting it was ultimately weaker). So for some people who may have left the show a long time ago, it's a bit of a boy who cried wolf syndrome.

With how much TV there is these days I should have abandoned AoS a long time ago with how bad and then middling it was. A lot of people did. But I stuck around for some reason, and I am very pleased with having done so because of this great season. But not everyone is going to be like that.

LionPride

Banned
Arrow season 2 has a lot of dumb shit in it

Flash Season 1 has filler but it's lit

SHIELD has consistently been phenomenal this year. No bad episodes and consistently improved.

Everyone's got an opinion. And that's mine. I liked Flash S1 and Arrow S2. The complexity of the story and of the relationships in AoS S4 seals it for me. Legion has only had 8 episodes, but I have really high hopes for it.

Slayven

Arrow season 2 has a lot of dumb shit in it

Flash Season 1 has filler but it's lit

SHIELD has consistently been phenomenal this year. No bad episodes and consistently improved.

One thing SHIELD Has on just about every drama, is pacing. Shit is constantly moving forward. The framework shit would have been a whole season for most shows. But SHIELD is like "Nah, we got other shit to do"

kirblar

One thing SHIELD Has on just about every drama, is pacing. Shit is constantly moving forward. The framework shit would have been a whole season for most shows. But SHIELD is like "Nah, we got other shit to do"
Yeah, this was close to Vampire Diaries S1/2-level.

LotusHD

Banned
Of course. I just think it's easier to trust opinions when people are more moderate in their view rather than those who instantly jump to "the best ever" or "the worst ever" kind of descriptors. Would I recommend S4 of this show? Yes. But for someone interested it's a bit misleading to say "It's the best ever". Even if that's genuinely what you believe, it's best not to set expectations that high. Especially considering this show's staunch fans that insisted S2 was so much better than S1. And that S3 was getting better than S2 (early on, before admitting it was ultimately weaker). So for some people who may have left the show a long time ago, it's a bit of a boy who cried wolf syndrome.

With how much TV there is these days I should have abandoned AoS a long time ago with how bad and then middling it was. A lot of people did. But I stuck around for some reason, and I am very pleased with having done so because of this great season. But not everyone is going to be like that.

If I'm recommending a show, or anything really, I generally wouldn't use those kind of descriptors in the first place. But in a thread where people are just saying what they prefer and such, sure why not. That's what I believe, so why I would say otherwise.

At the end of the day, I personally am not going to go too out of my way just to get strangers to watch a show. I'll tell you why I think it's worth watching, answer some concerns a person may have, but if they obviously aren't into it (It takes 17 hours to get good!), then there's really nothing more to say.

TDLink

Everyone's got an opinion. And that's mine. I liked Flash S1 and Arrow S2. The complexity of the story and of the relationships in AoS S4 seals it for me. Legion has only had 8 episodes, but I have really high hopes for it.

Well part of the thing with AoS is despite the prior seasons being poor they did build the characters. AoS S4 wouldn't be as effective as it is without the prior character work considering everything with Fitz and Simmons, the Skye/Ward stuff, where Daisy is at the beginning of the season and for the first arc, etc. Something like Flash S1 had to do establishing character work in addition to delivering on a great plot.

Legion is phenomenal btw. It's a bit hard to compare to the other superhero shows because of how abstract it is though.

Honestly it should have been, I think only spending like 4 eps on it works, but isn't necessarily the best they could have done with it. They built an interesting world there that was honestly the most interesting part of the season. And they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted without worrying about some sort of other continuity they don't want to clash with. Even if it was like half a season instead of an entire one, I think a lot more could have been done with that plot-line. Especially with the mental (And physical in the case of Mace dying) repercussions.

Pachimari

I gotta say there was some clear hyperbole going on in that other thread. Look , Agents of Shield is one of my favorite shows but one shouldn't have called it the best thing ever on TV because it's not and never was and it never set out to be. It also didn't need its own thread as we have this one to celebrate and the 2016-17 season thread to bring other over in. Or else everyone could create about their show getting renewed or getting better along the way.

That said, I love this show.

My goodness.
I didn't see anyone do this? Who was it?

Going back to before the Framework arc, there was the inhuman brother of Senator Nadeer. He got killed and they dumped him in a lake/Sea. There was a final scene where his body changed again or something? Can someone refresh what happened and is he poised to show up again?

My goodness.

Lol wut

LionPride

Banned
Going back to before the Framework arc, there was the inhuman brother of Senator Nadeer. He got killed and they dumped him in a lake/Sea. There was a final scene where his body changed again or something? Can someone refresh what happened and is he poised to show up again?

Lol wut
He got shot by Nadir, dumped in the ocean. Powers evolved to show he ain't dead probably
He ain't been back since. Ophelia's healing probably comes from him.

When Ophelia said "But what, Leopold?", Fitz should've been like
omgwtf.gif

Dude dun goofed when he mentioned Jemma.

Cuburt

The writers definitely deserve a lot of credit for how they handled them since they've really done well at finding a way to develop each character separately and they've earned the turmoil in their relationship through the circumstances and not just self-imposed high school drama and jealousy. It's allowed the actors to just really showcase their range and I think this season has been the most brutal for the two characters, between LMD Fitz and Framework Fitz. Even Jemma being trapped on a planet gave the writers a way to introduce relationship drama with also more sci-fi machinations so the relationship (and personal) consequences were real, but everything else can be conveniently explained away so the writers also don't write themselves into a corner.

It also helps that AoS has managed to keep most romance/relationship sub-plots to a minimum and any time that they do take center stage (for both the characters involved and within the context of the show), it is often integrated into the main narrative as to not distract too much from all the other shit going on. Season 3 was a little iffy with Lincoln being more of a character there for a romance subplot than an important part of the team or the main narrative, even Hunter and Bobbi often dragged things down for me whenever the show focused on their relationship drama, but I feel Season 4 has nailed that balance, even to the point where I actually was okay with the way they handled the Skyeward pairing, for the first time ever.

mm04

Heck, I love Gotham too. It's pulpy and goofy and I enjoy that about it. The villains constantly clashing against each other is good stuff. I left that thread early, but I thought one of the biggest dissenters was a Flash fan. I was a big fan of Flash Season 1, but the trajectory since then in quality has been downward. If it weren't for Cisco, I wouldn't even watch the show anymore. Arrow was also great early, then nosedived when Felicity became the damn co-star of the show, and now is back to being good again because they're not together anymore.

This season of AoS is definitely top tier. That they could make me turn on Fitz in a single episode and buy that he was Hydra for life, is good story-telling and great acting. Same thing with Ophelia. I would've forgiven her in an instant had she not killed people AFTER she became human.

RS4-

I dropped Gotham S3 after a few eps, just didn't feel the same after how good S2 was.

Glad to hear that AoS is getting another season.

As for comic shows this year, AoS > Legion > Arrow.

The hell happened to Poison Ivy

Comic book aging magic.
Some dude had powers to age people by touch, most of his victims dying of old age in seconds. He managed to graze Ivy after she was caught snooping on them, but instead of getting a good grip, the bridge over the river she was standing on broke and she fell in. Next episode, she was like that.

Pachimari

2017-05-12_1535.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373190

He copied the original Agents thread and changed some words around to fit Gotham, including my season-by-season summary that the OP of the Agents thread added in after I posted it. Haha.

Oh, and he's banned now apparently.

Lmao what in the fuck ahahaha. Why the hell. I'm a huge Gotham and AoS fan but why would anyone copy a thread for fuck sake. That's salt if I have seen any.

That said, there's a point to be made, and that is the AoS thread shouldn't have been made in the first place. But lol what a way to do it.

Cuburt

This. So much this.

The pacing is so good that they had the brilliant idea of having 3 full story arcs in a season and it works even better than before. Not only that, it somehow has all managed to tie together; robots, magic, digital alternate realities, superheros, and spy shit.

The pacing feels like such a breath of fresh air, like the writers actually respect my time investment in the show, which shouldn't feel like such a rare thing when there are so many TV shows out competing for my free time.

2017-05-12_1535.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373190

He copied the original Agents thread and changed some words around to fit Gotham, including my season-by-season summary that the OP of the Agents thread added in after I posted it. Haha.

Oh, and he's banned now apparently.

I saw both threads were locked and read the parody thread before the original and I assumed the title was the only thing was was copied since the rest of the OP seemed like sincere enthusiasm for a show they thought was also overlooked. When I read the OP of the other thread and realized it was practically a word-for-word copy, complete with the season breakdown post quote, I knew the salt was flowing heavy.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This. So much this.

The pacing is so good that they had the brilliant idea of having 3 full story arcs in a season and it works even better than before. Not only that, it somehow has all managed to tie together; robots, magic, digital alternate realities, superheros, and spy shit.

The pacing feels like such a breath of fresh air, like the writers actually respect my time investment in the show, which shouldn't feel like such a rare thing when there are so many TV shows out competing for my free time.

What is so admirable about the pacing in this show is that it's 22 damn episodes. The biggest complaint about the Netflix shows (not just Marvel but many of them in general) is that many of them have a period where it slows down and people say the seasons should be even shorter.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is like, "Yeah, okay. It's the episode count's fault. Sure. Watch and learn."

And it's not even new to the show. Season 2 had two major arcs as opposed to three and the pacing was great.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
r83xQGf.gif

Maybe forgotten in all the NOOOOOOOOOoooo Gifs, but the literal Shield is one of my favorite little reoccurring gags on a TV show.

The Flash could do with more of these sorts of ideas
on top of not having it's leads continue to do stupid things in the name of "more plot"

Pachimari

I would love it if they made Coulson use his arm much more. I'm like "hnnnnggg fuck yes!" inside of me every time his shield pops out of his arm. That's like cooler than Cap's shield lmao.

Show is bloody amazing.
Worried about what a reduced budget means though.
When Fitz told Aida he only had room in his heart for Jemma...that eyelash bat she gave and then "What?"

You done fucked up, Fitz. You know she's emotionally unstable and overwhelmed from her first experience with these feelings and you go ahead and tell her you love another woman? While you're locked in a room with her?
Yeah, and considering he had the most knowledge about her mental state, as well as her abilities..
But he was clearly a mess himself. He actually pulled himself together admirably, realising he could potentially convince her to save his friends.
Aida is the worst. Please get rid of her.
Damn it strafer, no!

Although one has to imagine that's exactly what Robbie is here to do.
We need to destroy that damn book too!

LotusHD

Banned
Comic book aging magic.
Some dude had powers to age people by touch, most of his victims dying of old age in seconds. He managed to graze Ivy after she was caught snooping on them, but instead of getting a good grip, the bridge over the river she was standing on broke and she fell in. Next episode, she was like that.

She got groped by some Indian Hill mutant who quickly ages his victims. But she broke away and aged just enough to make viewers question their morals of looking at a 14 year old in a 20 something year old's body.

Well then...

Top Bottom