• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

bqXhLrbFZHxg4.gif
When the haters hear about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is renewed for a fifth season.

Gambit

Even though I was hopeful I still can't quite believe SHIELD will continue.

It is sooooooooo deserved after this season. I just hope they continue this way.

The story set-up feels like typical 6-issue comic book storytelling brought to life on TV. It's genius.

jdstorm

Banned
Just got done bingewatching a few mid season episodes. Just going to post a few thoughts.

- i really hated Ward and Mac when i used to watch the show. Watching now i have mellowed a lot and even enjoy some of their scenes in a campy way. I guess i just needed some time off to accept them for what they were.

- Trying to turn Lincon into a bad boy is probably the biggest writing mistake of this season. In season 2 he was practically Steve Rodgers with a Medical degree. Now he's a try hard bad boy and hes about as good at it as Ward was at being a good guy.

- Daisy/Skye's commitment to fight training has been incredible. Having actors who can believeably do action scenes is suprisingly rare in this genre. Yet AoS has two actors in Daisy and May who can pull of Cinema quality fight scenes on a TV budget.

-Daisy and Simmons are this groups MVPs and its good to see the writers falling back into that late season 1 rythm that was peak AoS. Seems like i dropped AoS at its low point.

Thanks GAF for convincing me to jump back in.

Ithil

The actress that plays Aida deserves an emmy, she literally is playing two different characters

Tatiana Maslany has played roughly 12 different characters in Orphan Black so far and took til season 4 to get an Emmy for it (and Season 3 to even be nominated).

LotusHD

Banned
So we're giving out emmys to anyone who overacts now?

I mean, she's done other shit....

- Daisy/Skye's commitment to fight training has been incredible. Having actors who can believeably do action scenes is suprisingly rare in this genre. Yet AoS has two actors in Daisy and May who can pull of Cinema quality fight scenes on a TV budget.

Every season I'm like, let's give Daisy the "Most Improved" award lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i cant believe that dumbass got my fuckin thread locked
Got into AoS again because of your thread. Thanks.

Season 3
The first half continues the pace from season 2. The second half does, admittedly, struggle a bit. But it's still a good show and certainly doesn't go back to the early days of the series.
This right here has me hyped for S4 because im really liking the last couple episodes of S3. On finale now and cant wait to dive into 4.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just finished the S4 first episode opener. i understand the responses now. Seems like its going to be fun. Also im pretty sure this is the first time theres been blood like that.

S3 finale was very strong. i thought the first 1/3 of S3 was pretty meh. Lost my attention long enough to drop being current on the show. Its funny too because if i had waited a couple weeks i probably would have been caught back in. To be fair though its different when you have to wait a week so maybe not.

Time to get caught up.

Ashtrax

Aida in the latest episode was incredible. Legit terrifying. And basically to pull off all that emotional range in 40 minutes, kudos to the writers.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The season 1 trailer came out four years ago today.

WELCOME TO LEVEL SEVEN.
I've been watching S1 from the beginning for the first time since it originally aired and I like the early episodes so much more than I did the first time. Knowing that it won't be "Avengers on TV" like I thought it would be before the show started really helps. Plus already liking the characters makes me a lot more invested than I was the first time. I never thought I'd watch the first half of S1 again but I'm really glad I did.

As a reference, I dropped the show the first time around when Skye got shot and then caught up once Winter Soldier came out because everyone said that it shook up the show. I then never stopped watching.

jelly

Aida in the latest episode was incredible. Legit terrifying. And basically to pull off all that emotional range in 40 minutes, kudos to the writers.

Yeah, it was amazing. Both actors were superb. You could really feel the emotion, tension build up. That explosive change, yikes. Fantastic episode and this series has been great.

R.I.P. Powers Boothe

The second big bad from AoS to pass away in the past couple months. Such a great actor.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTk2MjA1NjQ2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE5MTgxNzE@._V1_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

RIP to both BP and PB
they died in the framework, opposites of who they were in real life
but they'll both be remembered for how great they really were.

The Red-shirts acting in the last episode shows just how good Fitz and Aida are.

Someone should add text to that gif above. So many uses and E3 is around the corner.

jdstorm

Banned
Today has been kind of surreal. Was just binging some of the latter half of season 3 including the episode where Daisy kills Booths character. That was a little wired. I mainly knew of him from Agents of Shield and Nashville where he was mainly playing vilanous roles. So its fair to say i despised seeing Booth on the screen in the best possible way. He was a great actor and will be missed.

Other season 3 thoughts.
- Fitz Bond is one of AoS most fun reccuring threads. I always enjoy when they go to that well.
- Daisy with that Lando face when Hive/Ward shows up. "This deal is getting worse and worse all the time"
- Lincon is such a missed opportunity. They have Dr Steve Rodgers with lightning powers and He's acting like a combination of Johnny Storm and every miserable TV spouse ever.
- Daisy really needs some power creep. She's practically an Airbender/The Avatar. Where are the sonic powered jumps, or making the Air go so fast it catches fire ect.

Pachimari

RIP Powers Boothe. This is really sad.

He was such an amazing actor, and I only knew him from The Avengers and Agents of Shield, but he had great screen presence and such powerful and convincing acting.

Cuburt

Oh, it's already happening on the gaming side.

s3lIbXX.gif

lol Meme worthy.

RIP Powers Boothe

I'm grateful we were able to see him reprise his role from The Avengers in a way that felt like a big deal to anyone who cared that the MCU is "all connected".

- Daisy really needs some power creep. She's practically an Airbender/The Avatar. Where are the sonic powered jumps, or making the Air go so fast it catches fire ect.

I agree. It feels like the only really creative displays of Daisy's power was when she first got it can couldn't control it.

Now she can control it but all she ever wants to do is shoot sonic blast, which doesn't look very cool.

There could be so many creative ways to showcase her power that shouldn't even cost much to do the effect, but would make her so bad ass and they almost never do it. They have a superhero they've built from the ground-up with a powerset that could create some unique visuals and they mainly have her shooting air beams and opening portals. It's disappointing anytime I start thinking about it. I get making her too powerful makes her harder to write for, but there are ways to do it without having to give into power creep and upping the intensity of her ability too much.

jdstorm

Banned
Just got done with season 3. Wow. You guys werent kidding when you said it got better. I'm going to have to rewatch The Winter Soilder arc to see what i liked better.

Since this is the Season 4 thread Im going to post some unmarked season 3 spoilers.

1. Lets talk about that ending. First in space. They finally turned Lincon into Dr Steve Rodgers. Doing a virtual copy paste on The First Avenger was a great touch. Although a few extra easter eggs would have been nice, like Lincon and Daisy organising a date.

Then there was the time jump and Daisy got a sonic jump and a Neo inspired ending. Given what i have heard about season 4. That seems like some fun foreshadowing.

2. More Daisy hype/praise. She has come so far since her days as Sky the hacker chick. From her early days as a complete Mary Sue to now where she is a character that writers have to nerf because she is too effective. At this point she is clearly Avengers tier and would be among the most capable on that team.

3. Fitz Bond is so much fun, as is that new scottish mad scientist.

4. The stunt team on this show is so great, but at least 50% has to go to the casting department for actually casting athletic actors. It helps so much. That Lincon vs Ward fight was pretty good for having 2 actors fight each other. It felt like a made for tv version of Keanu Reeves fighting Paul Walker.

I totally forgot about the time jump at the end of Season 3. In retrospect, it was a great way to signal something news was coming for S4 (and introduced LMDs)

Now I am wondering what they will do on Tuesday. I guess they won't do another jump, but I would like them to end with a bang to single what's coming in S5

Would love if they secretly cast and filmed a brand new character, and tossed it in at the end of the episode tomorrow.

Just got done with season 3. Wow. You guys werent kidding when you said it got better. I'm going to have to rewatch The Winter Soilder arc to see what i liked better.

Since this is the Season 4 thread Im going to post some unmarked season 3 spoilers.

1. Lets talk about that ending. First in space. They finally turned Lincon into Dr Steve Rodgers. Doing a virtual copy paste on The First Avenger was a great touch. Although a few extra easter eggs would have been nice, like Lincon and Daisy organising a date.

Then there was the time jump and Daisy got a sonic jump and a Neo inspired ending. Given what i have heard about season 4. That seems like some fun foreshadowing.

2. More Daisy hype/praise. She has come so far since her days as Sky the hacker chick. From her early days as a complete Mary Sue to now where she is a character that writers have to nerf because she is too effective. At this point she is clearly Avengers tier and would be among the most capable on that team.

3. Fitz Bond is so much fun, as is that new scottish mad scientist.

4. The stunt team on this show is so great, but at least 50% has to go to the casting department for actually casting athletic actors. It helps so much. That Lincon vs Ward fight was pretty good for having 2 actors fight each other. It felt like a made for tv version of Keanu Reeves fighting Paul Walker.

Glad you're enjoying it. Love reading your impressions.

Now get on that Season 4 ride! Watch out as there'll be a lot of spoilers posted in here after the finale this week

Top Bottom