• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

BLACKLAC

N8hEOQi.gif

GIF_zpsxebotwvt.gif

Tovarisc

I was promised the end of an arc!!!

Well they did stop dealing with LMD's, presumably most if not all got wiped out when LMD May detonated the bombs. They shifted into whole Matrix kinda deal now.

Also show has visually benefited from being moved to later airing time. I doubt we would have seen level of visual... gore if they had stayed in original slot, LMD beheading or not.

Edit: Over 30MB worth of GIFS? ffs, people start linking webm's already!

What if Shonda Rhimes is doing a Marvel show?

But it would stop being Marvel show 5 episodes into 1st season and devolve into mindless and moronic relationship drama that is so forced it makes your head spin.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
wow I think this is their best ever episode, great arc, great action, fitz & simmons chewing the scenery like it was a free buffet...awesome stuff.

t7fEq9f.jpg

I said GODDAMN!

What an episode. Blew right past Turn Turn Turn and One Door Closes, maybe even 4,722 Hours, and I'd say it's on the same level as S.O.S Part 1 & 2, my personal high point of the series.

Can't even pick the MVP this week. Gemma, LMD Fitz, Daisy, Aida, L.May.D ...

The action was on point, the suspense was real, but the real high points were the 1 on 1s. Aida and Radciffe, Fitz and Simmons, Simmons and Daisy, May and Coulson. Iain de Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge are the acting MVPs of this show, and looking back to season 1, it's absolutely insane, how pretty much every actor on this show has grown. For all the hate May gets sometimes, I even think Ming-Na Wen is great, as long as the material she gets to work with is good.

But looking back it's just so incredible seeing Caestecker, Henstridge and even Chloe Bennet now, which probably has to do with the fact that they are the youngest actors in the main cast. And because I had to look that up I just learned that Ming Na Wen is 53, Clark Gregg is 54 and Henry Simmons is 46. That's some virgin blood shit right there.

To bring my ramblings to a close, this is my first episode of the year contender, it's going to be a long wait and I hope that by some miracle they get another season or a sweet Netflix deal.

Also, S4 shits on every other superhero show from a great height, barring judgment on Legion, which I think looks great.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Episode was a lot better than I ever would have thought. I love Daisy so much. If the show ends in the next few years I wish they would give her her own show or move her to one of the Netflix shows/movies.

Guys, Simmons isn't dead
the Framework takes away a regret, so the program probably tried to put her back on the other planet...
They talked about the Framework program being altered for the new guests in this episode. However, Daisy and Jemma are just slipping into the already existing reality without further changes, so I don't think their situations are customized for them. I might consider that since they were planning on adding them in the changes would have already been done, but without their brain scans it would've just been guesswork.

Tovarisc

Wait, what? May gets hate?

I always read that she's much too robotic, perfect for an LMD etc.

To be honest, I might just not be in on a joke.

To be fair for longest time she came across as distant, closed and even cold. I know that her backstory played into that big time, but was major part why some people didn't find her interesting or engaging character. Compared to "original" from early seasons current her is a lot more open and warmer to people around her.

There is also vocal opposition to FitzSimmons ship. All that hate and mental gymnastics of why it never ever can happen was entertaining read. Hell, they wanted Simmons to hook up with Ward.

LotusHD

Banned
To be fair for longest time she came across as distant, closed and even cold. I know that her backstory played into that big time, but was major part why some people didn't find her interesting or engaging character. Compared to "original" from early seasons current her is a lot more open and warmer to people around her.

There is also vocal opposition to FitzSimmons ship. All that hate and mental gymnastics of why it never ever can happen was entertaining read. Hell, they wanted Simmons to hook up with Ward.

I see...

Also FitzSimmons is one of the few relationships on TV that like actually felt completely earned, so it's weird that people fought against that.

Ward and May sleeping together was so weird tho, right?

Khaz

Also FitzSimmons is one of the few relationships on TV that like actually felt completely earned, so it's weird that people fought against that.

I did, as I was seeing their relation much more like brother/sister than anything else. Simmons presumably felt that way too, as she didn't exactly fell into his arms at the reveal. I felt one-way feelings that doesn't end in mutual love would have been original, as the trope tends to go the other way. But I'm very happy with how they are now, the chemistry works very well.

Tovarisc

I did, as I was seeing their relation much more like brother/sister than anything else. Simmons presumably felt that way too, as she didn't exactly fell into his arms at the reveal. I felt one-way feelings that doesn't end in mutual love would have been original, as the trope tends to go the other way. But I'm very happy with how they are now, the chemistry works very well.

They kept that relationship in oven for just right duration and allowed it to grow from co-workers and friends into something more meaningful and deeper for both character. In general there is surprisingly a lot good character growth over longer period of time for whole cast, not something you would expect from show like this.

LionPride

Banned
Fitz dealt with being inept following his brain injury that kept his ass handicapped for two years

Simmons dealt with falling for a space man who was actually an evil alien presence bent on "fixing" humanity

They done been through the ringer

So my biggest problem with the episode: if they knew they had an LMD detector in that hallway, then why was the prove-it action to slit a wrist, rather than, you know, walking through the perfectly viable robot detector again?

They're bringing back Ward? #WhyNotTripp
That could still happen. Along with Garrett, for that matter.

"So my biggest problem with the episode: if they knew they had an LMD detector in that hallway, then why was the prove-it action to slit a wrist, rather than, you know, walking through the perfectly viable robot detector again?"

I can give Simmons a pass because she's scared shitless and Fitz would obviously not mention or try any idea that would conclusively verify his identity.

The Kree

Banned
Best episode of SHIELD.

I like that the core thrust of the show continues to be Girls to the Rescue. Throw as much shade at Whedon as you like but that's all him.

Mariolee

Gimme Victoria Hand and Robert Gonzales back too.

Oh my goodness, this just made me realize how brilliant The Framework is as a celebration of the show before it inevitably gets cancelled. Being able to bring back all the fan favorites including Hunter and Bobbi and bring to a culmination what made the show great.

Neoxon

This episode was pure insanity, & I love it. Daisy & Simmons were truly the GOATs of this episode.

The next arc better keep up the hot streak that Season 4's been on.

LionPride

Banned
Oh my goodness, this just made me realize how brilliant The Framework is as a celebration of the show before it inevitably gets cancelled. Being able to bring back all the fan favorites including Hunter and Bobbi and bring to a culmination what made the show great.

Man if Bobbi and Hunter come back in the framework Imma cry big ass tears

dorikyasu

What an episode that was.

Other than what have already been discussed. I'm curious what Mace's Framework fantasy life might be.
I would love to see that Mace actually taking over the mantle of Captain America in Framework, complete with Cap's suit & shield and all.

First off, the episode was amazing and I think im gonna have to force the wife to watch it later just so I can watch it again :)

While im a big fan of Flash et al, the thing that makes Shield better is that the writing is just too damn good.
Flash has some great actors, same goes for Arrow and Legends but Shields not only has great actors but also material that is well written, doesn’t make character intentionally stupid for story sake and actively builds towards something.

That’s not to say the other comic book shows doesn’t have that at times, Season 2 of Arrow and Season 1 of Flash are some of my favourite seasons of any show but it has been inconsistent ever since. Legends had a good first half of the first season but the second half dragged a lot. Luckily season 2 has been great stuff and a lot of fun.

If you told someone who had seen episode 1 of Shield about all of the stuff the characters went through and how they have changed they wouldn’t believe you, or at least think it must be poorly written to get them so far. Instead we have a show that even at its slowest times still deals in emotional subjects that have lasting consequences for the characters and story. That’s not something I tend to find with the other shows, while things happen to them and they slightly change, they are still the same people overall.

The only other comic book show that has almost changed as dramatically is Gotham which went from a terrible first couple of episodes to now being one of the best shows on TV. Shield still comes out on top though simply for the dramatic scenes, while Gothams very dark its also quite cheesy. That is part of its fun for sure but it hasn’t had one moment like the reveal of Ward being Hydra and Sky’s reaction and the teams fallout, or the journey Fitz and Simmons have been on together, or A spys goodbye which remains one of my all-time GOAT moments in TV.

I could go on and on with more examples but basically Shield is the SHIT and if it gets cancelled I will not be very happy to say the least ;)

Renpatsu

The stand offs in that episode were on a whole 'nother level of intensity than you're used to.

Also those homages to Terminator had me giddy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I've liked large parts of the Flash and Arrow series, but the noticeable difference to me, is that SHIELD doesn't rely on things going sideways based on the decisions of the main character/characters, at least not as fast and furious.

If something is indeed the fault of someone, usually it takes a few episodes for it to unfurl (See Fitz and the LMD/Framework)

Barry and Oliver are almost constantly their worst enemy.

Anson225

damn I have watched every single MCU movies and shows besides AOS...
Haven't even watched one episode yet, should I start from the very beginning?
this season, from what I heard, seems crazily good.

LotusHD

Banned

Yes. It's part of why the show is so phenomenal, because of how far our main cast has come. S1 may test you a bit, but trust me, you'll know when that quality spikes up.

I would start from the beginning, but knowing that season 1 is largely considered the worst (with season 3 not far behind). But I think you really need to watch it all to get the most out of the series, because you'll get to learn how the characters started and see how they grow.

Also, bail out of this thread until you're caught up.

LionPride

Banned
Seeing Daisy go from her slave name of Skye to unlocking her true potential is litty
Fitz and Simmons going from FitzSimmons to being amazing
Couslon!
That slave name thing was a joke ladies and gents

After watching the episode and sleeping, am I alone in wanting Chloe Bennett to be an action hero? Like, yeah I get it was imitating Terminator, but damn if she didn't do a good job.

LotusHD

Banned
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02...ras-return-simmons-fate-and-framework-changes

IGN: What's Yo-Yo going to be up to while everyone else is in the Framework?

Whedon: Just, you know, watching sports.

Lol

After watching the episode and sleeping, am I alone in wanting Chloe Bennett to be an action hero? Like, yeah I get it was imitating Terminator, but damn if she didn't do a good job.

If you told me the woman from The Night Life would later become one of my favorite actresses, I'd never believe you lol

Pshh, no way...

Gotham ain't good, end of story
I will fight both of you ;)

I honestly love it these days, i went from thinking the show would be pointless and rubbish, then being justified the first few episodes but stuck with it and it not only turned itself around but also has done some great versions of classic characters, built young Bruce to the point where you can not only see him as batman but also why he is needed for Gotham.

Also Jerome is 3rd place for his characters portrayal for me, plus penguin, riddler, mad hatter, freeze etc. We're all great, especially penguin and riddler.

LionPride

Banned
I will fight both of you ;)

I honestly love it these days, i went from thinking the show would be pointless and rubbish, then being justified the first few episodes but stuck with it and it not only turned itself around but also has done some great versions of classic characters, built young Bruce to the point where you can think not only can you see him as batman but also why he is needed for Gotham.

Also Jerome is 3rd place for his characters portrayal for me, plus penguin, riddler, mad hatter, freeze etc. We're all great, especially penguin and riddler.
Opinions

Top Bottom