• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Pachimari

First thing, Gotham is fantastic , and so is Agents of Shield. This episode was lit and I loved the fight choreography during the Quake vs Mace fight. I had really hoped we would see the Quake LMDs go nuts though.

Pachimari

So I wonder, will the last act be entirely inside the framework? I kind of hope so, because then they can play around with everything with no limits. But then again, what happens in the framework doesn't matter if they all come out unscathed anyway. I seriously hope they'll play around in here. Have Ward as the head of Hydra, there's no Shield, Quake as part of Hydra and all that.

Opinions on Gotham
Just chew on it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So many good scenes in this episode. At first I was like, damn they're holding back on Daisy's powers once again, but then the Mace and Mack/Coulson fight scenes happened.

Good mid (three quarters? I don't even know anymore with how this show is formatted anymore) season finale.

Ward body double made me sad, it would have been awesome to see him sit up and look at Daisy.

Dat Triskelion too

I would start from the beginning, but knowing that season 1 is largely considered the worst (with season 3 not far behind). But I think you really need to watch it all to get the most out of the series, because you'll get to learn how the characters started and see how they grow.

Also, bail out of this thread until you're caught up.

Lies! I am the first to admit that S3 was by no means perfect, but people seem to forget the steaming pile of shit that was big parts of S1. There were some real terrible turds in those first 15 episodes, and even after the show got better after Turn Turn Turn, the real turn in quality came with the second season.

ZeoVGM

Banned
People are a bit rough on season 3. Yes, the second half with Hive was very shaky. The first half was just as good as season 2 though.

Pachimari

Lies! I am the first to admit that S3 was by no means perfect, but people seem to forget the steaming pile of shit that was big parts of S1. There were some real terrible turds in those first 15 episodes, and even after the show got better after Turn Turn Turn, the real turn in quality came with the second season.

People are a bit rough on season 3. Yes, the second half with Hive was very shaky. The first half was just as good as season 2 though.
Nah, I'm with StarCreator on this one. Season 3 wasn't far behind the first season, but that said, I really digged the first season and binge-watched it. I was very disappointed with last season.

Neoxon

damn I have watched every single MCU movies and shows besides AOS...
Haven't even watched one episode yet, should I start from the very beginning?
this season, from what I heard, seems crazily good.
I'd say yes, mainly to get the most out of the characters. Though be prepared, the first half of Season 1 & the 2nd half of Season 3 will test you (more so the former than the latter), but it's worth it.

AMUSIX

I would say watch it from the beginning...and even though some people may give you 'watch lists' of episodes to skip, don't.

Well, except for Season 1, Episode 9 - Repairs....the single worst episode in the series. Made even more terrible because it comes right as the awesomeness is ramping up.

KarmaCow

Honestly they should have had Ward sit up and say Hey Babe. Wasted opportunity

Either that or not show the picture for the suspense. Still that ending montage was hype as fuck. It's cruel to do that and then have the remaining episodes after a six week break. D:

edit: as for watching the show from the beginning, the first 3/4ths of season 1 is terrible even if it does set the stage for the reveal after it. If you already know that reveal, I'd say skip it. The best moments really come from after that.

Neoxon

I would say watch it from the beginning...and even though some people may give you 'watch lists' of episodes to skip, don't.

Well, except for Season 1, Episode 9 - Repairs....the single worst episode in the series. Made even more terrible because it comes right as the awesomeness is ramping up.
S01E09 is the equivalent of the show gathering the quality Spirit Bomb for the rest of Season 1.

Dynomutt

More than any other show I would agree. Seeing Daisy progress has been a pleasure. Also May becoming more human is a great watch as well. I can't front there was a time when AoS was slipping but after GR arc and this tense LMD arc they have redeemed themselves.

Khaz

First thing, Gotham is fantastic , and so is Agents of Shield. This episode was lit and I loved the fight choreography during the Quake vs Mace fight. I had really hoped we would see the Quake LMDs go nuts though.

Well the explosion only took May and Coulson, as Fitz went downstairs to activate their cohort. We should assume they are still intact and will show up again in the last episode when Shield tries to reclaim the base.

Dai101

Banned
lRlTqgt.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Yes. The first season is the weakest one, but then Winter Soldier happens in the middle of the season, and you can guess how that shakes things up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Paxton is probably too busy with Training Day but how great would it be if they got him back for an episode?

They could even bring back Trip and Victoria Hand as well.

AMUSIX

Other than maybe a single small cameo in one episode (Hunter and Bobbi?) I really don't think they're bringing anyone back.

The funny thing about the end credits is that jemma "managed to locate their avatars" in the framework .. but she probably looked for the person standing near fitz in the framework unaware that she's dead.

So she basicly hijacked someone else body while her own body is dead in this simulation.

Make sense , since convincing fitz as jemma would be freaking easy for her , but posing as someone else ? much harder .

Hopefully the 3 recruits managed to move all the agent bodies in some safe place and hopefully that blast was contained in the hangar so they don't have to rebuild EVERYTHING for season 5

The funny thing about the end credits is that jemma "managed to locate their avatars" in the framework .. but she probably looked for the person standing near fitz in the framework unaware that she's dead.

So she basicly hijacked someone else body while her own body is dead in this simulation.

Make sense , since convincing fitz as jemma would be freaking easy for her , but posing as someone else ? much harder .

Hopefully the 3 recruits managed to move all the agent bodies in some safe place and hopefully that blast was contained in the hangar so they don't have to rebuild EVERYTHING for season 5

The first half of Season 5 is basically house hunters lmao. They even bring in people from that show/channel

Namikaze1

Missed it last night but just got around to watching the episode. Had no idea what to expect with the episode. As soon as they showed the text Daisy got, I immediately said "Watch it be Ward." Holy shit! They fucking did it. They brought him back, even if it's just within The Framework.

Ithil

First off, the episode was amazing and I think im gonna have to force the wife to watch it later just so I can watch it again :)

While im a big fan of Flash et al, the thing that makes Shield better is that the writing is just too damn good.
Flash has some great actors, same goes for Arrow and Legends but Shields not only has great actors but also material that is well written, doesn’t make character intentionally stupid for story sake and actively builds towards something.

That’s not to say the other comic book shows doesn’t have that at times, Season 2 of Arrow and Season 1 of Flash are some of my favourite seasons of any show but it has been inconsistent ever since. Legends had a good first half of the first season but the second half dragged a lot. Luckily season 2 has been great stuff and a lot of fun.

If you told someone who had seen episode 1 of Shield about all of the stuff the characters went through and how they have changed they wouldn’t believe you, or at least think it must be poorly written to get them so far. Instead we have a show that even at its slowest times still deals in emotional subjects that have lasting consequences for the characters and story. That’s not something I tend to find with the other shows, while things happen to them and they slightly change, they are still the same people overall.

The only other comic book show that has almost changed as dramatically is Gotham which went from a terrible first couple of episodes to now being one of the best shows on TV. Shield still comes out on top though simply for the dramatic scenes, while Gothams very dark its also quite cheesy. That is part of its fun for sure but it hasn’t had one moment like the reveal of Ward being Hydra and Sky’s reaction and the teams fallout, or the journey Fitz and Simmons have been on together, or A spys goodbye which remains one of my all-time GOAT moments in TV.

I could go on and on with more examples but basically Shield is the SHIT and if it gets cancelled I will not be very happy to say the least ;)
Flash (like most CW shows) has the issue of having the same basic structure for each episode. It makes it feel less serialized. Arrow started to suffer badly from this by Season 4, but the high quality of Season 5 so far has made the structure less apparent.
SHIELD by comparison (and Gotham too) generally go chapter to chapter in an ongoing story. Your feelings on the quality of the story may vary, but it's always moving along, episodes don't have a standard structure.

Which is funny how far we came, given the biggest problem with early SHIELD was how rigidly episodic (and dated) it was, straight out of the Xena/Hercules 90s shows style.

Season One's job early on was to establish characters and relationships. Also to give the actors a chance to find their groove.

It did all those things. Very nicely.

Which is funny how far we came, given the biggest problem with early SHIELD was how rigidly episodic (and dated) it was, straight out of the Xena/Hercules 90s shows style.
In retrospect that's one of the great things about season 1, though given Winter Soldier it's not like they had much choice but to do it that way. Start up with a show full of straightforward weekly adventures, until something else comes crashing through.
oldspice.png

Probably the best episode of the series. Every scene was amazing.

They talked about the Framework program being altered for the new guests in this episode. However, Daisy and Jemma are just slipping into the already existing reality without further changes, so I don't think their situations are customized for them. I might consider that since they were planning on adding them in the changes would have already been done, but without their brain scans it would've just been guesswork.

Came here to say this. The world was "restarted" after each entry, so Jemma and Daisy are not inserted in their own perfect scenario.

-Coulson regrets joining SHIELD, so we see him as a teacher (does he actually hate Inhumans though? Doesn't seem like him.)
-Mack regrets losing his daughter, so he gets his family back (in hindsight now we know why we never saw them)
-Fitz may regret not being closer with his father, so we might see Fitz's father.
-May regrets Bahrain, but how that extrapolates to joining Hydra remains to be seen.
-Mace regrets... possibly being a puppet? Would he still be fiercely loyal to SHIELD even after the Hydra betrayal?

I think, without Coulson in SHIELD, the Avengers may not have even formed, but having the Chitauri ruling Earth is beyond their budget, so maybe the events in Winter Soldier happen sooner and Hydra defeats the Chitauri.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

oh hi, I'm here, pls follow this watch list (episodes in italics are not vital to the plot but provide background information on characters or the world that is referenced in later, better episodes of the show):

1.01 Pilot
1.05 Girl in the Flower Dress
1.07 The Hub
[Thor: The Dark World]
1.08 The Well
1.09 Repairs

1.10 The Bridge
1.11 The Magical Place
1.12 Seeds
1.13 T.R.A.C.K.S.
1.14 T.A.H.I.T.I.
1.15 Yes Men
1.16 The End of the Beginning
[Captain America: The Winter Soldier]
1.17 Turn, Turn, Turn
1.18 Providence
1.19 The Only Light in the Darkness
1.20 Nothing Personal
1.21 Ragtag
1.22 Beginning of the End

You honestly could read Wiki summaries of what happens in the italicized episodes to get the background information in them without suffering through what are mostly bad episodes. Yes Men, 1.15, is OK, though.

Probably the best episode of the series. Every scene was amazing.

Came here to say this. The world was "restarted" after each entry, so Jemma and Daisy are not inserted in their own perfect scenario.

-Coulson regrets joining SHIELD, so we see him as a teacher (does he actually hate Inhumans though? Doesn't seem like him.)
-Mack regrets losing his daughter, so he gets his family back (in hindsight now we know why we never saw them)
-Fitz may regret not being closer with his father, so we might see Fitz's father.
-May regrets Bahrain, but how that extrapolates to joining Hydra remains to be seen.
-Mace regrets... possibly being a puppet? Would he still be fiercely loyal to SHIELD even after the Hydra betrayal?

I think, without Coulson in SHIELD, the Avengers may not have even formed, but having the Chitauri ruling Earth is beyond their budget, so maybe the events in Winter Soldier happen sooner and Hydra defeats the Chitauri.
Heck, without Coulson in Shield, Tony didn't find Palindium(Or wherever his new core was made from) and dies from the built up poison,Banner is left as a wild card, Thor likely never recovers Mjolnir meaning Loki never leaves Asgard and finds the Chitauri, and Cap is never woken up(I like to think Coulson's fanboy nature was what convinced S.H.I.E.L.D. to check out the artic).

If all this is true, the Chitauri never even had a reason to come to earth meaning that Project Insight likely unfolded without a hitch.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This show is absolutely crushing it this season. I very much look forward to Tuesdays now. Flash and AOS is tough to top.

Heck, without Coulson in Shield, Tony didn't find Palindium(Or wherever his new core was made from) and dies from the built up poison,Banner is left as a wild card, Thor likely never recovers Mjolnir meaning Loki never leaves Asgard and finds the Chitauri, and Cap is never woken up(I like to think Coulson's fanboy nature was what convinced S.H.I.E.L.D. to check out the artic).

If all this is true, the Chitauri never even had a reason to come to earth meaning that Project Insight likely unfolded without a hitch.

I agree with a lot of this:

-Stark becomes Iron Man but doesn't start the Avengers. He probably dies from the poison built up, if Project Insight doesn't get him first.
-Banner dies from Project Insight, as well as Stephen Strange.
-Without Coulson to save Thor from Hawkeye, Thor dies. Loki doesn't come to Earth.
-Cap never wakes up.
-Widow and Hawkeye are either SHIELD agents on the run, or get taken out by Hydra.
-No Vision as there's no Mind Gem from Loki's staff. No Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch.
-Fury dies because he doesn't have Fitz's gadget to get out of the car. Or maybe he escapes anyway because he's Fury.
-Jemma's date of death is Nov. 8, about when the episode FZZT happened (Simmons jumps out of the Bus, Ward saves her, Fitz develops an antidote). With no Fitz in SHIELD, Simmons gets no antidote.
-Daisy is Skye, no powers, likely recruited into Hydra with Ward.
-We could see Bobbi and Hunter. Lincoln never meets Skye. Afterlife may still exist.
-The possibility for guest appearances is endless. Malick as a Hydra head? Deathlok? Quinn? Raina? Real SHIELD? Tripp? Skye's parents? Whitehall? May's husband?

The Kree

Banned

Or worse. She buried herself alive.

oh hi, I'm here, pls follow this watch list (episodes in italics are not vital to the plot but provide background information on characters or the world that is referenced in later, better episodes of the show):

1.01 Pilot
1.07 The Hub
1.08 The Well
1.09 Repairs

1.10 The Bridge
1.11 The Magical Place
1.12 Seeds
1.13 T.R.A.C.K.S.
1.14 T.A.H.I.T.I.
1.15 Yes Men
1.17 Turn, Turn, Turn
1.18 Providence
1.20 Nothing Personal
1.21 Ragtag

You honestly could read Wiki summaries of what happens in the italicized episodes to get the background information in them without suffering through what are mostly bad episodes. Yes Men, 1.15, is OK, though.

No FZZT? Get out

ZeoVGM

Banned

1.01 Pilot
1.07 The Hub
1.08 The Well
1.09 Repairs

1.10 The Bridge
1.11 The Magical Place
1.12 Seeds
1.13 T.R.A.C.K.S.
1.14 T.A.H.I.T.I.
1.15 Yes Men
1.17 Turn, Turn, Turn
1.18 Providence
1.20 Nothing Personal
1.21 Ragtag

Whatever you do, don't listen to this.

If you're watching a series, it's silly to skip episodes, especially if you're following a watch list that only leaves out a few.

For example, his list leaves out 2-4. 2 isn't a very good episode but it introduces an object that gets brought up again later in the season. (It also has a great cameo at the very end.)

3 and 4 are also not great but both introduce characters and story points that are important to the series.

And he left out episode 6, "FZZT," which is the first really good episode of the series and is important to the growth of the characters later on. It was where a lot of people started caring about Fitz and Simmons.

If you plan on jumping into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., just watch the whole series. The first half of season 1 has plenty of problems but skipping episodes is silly.

Damn what a great episode. Can't wait for next week!

So, Simmons plugged into the Framework but is just gonna be stuck 6 feet under? Or is this gonna be the debut of Zombie Marvel?

Maybe May is pretending to be Hydra, with the goal of taking it down on the inside. It was stated she thrives on conflict, so this would make sense to me.

And Ward is back!

Aw. Yiss.

Wonder if Bobbi and Hunter will show up.

Top Bottom