• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(AirPlay) Logitech UE Air Speaker [1st gen iPod Touch owners beware]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
I purchased the Logitech UE Air Speaker over the weekend at a sweet clearance price [$230; previously $400]. The description said it was "Made for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad" and the sales dude told me he preferred the sound quality of it over the [$400] 'Beats by Dre' speaker box. He also said it blew away all the other speaker docks by a mile.

I told him I needed something to use in the living room as a shelf system [the previous bookshelf stereo is being moved to the nursery to play Disney CDs] and for it to be portable enough to be moved around the house, and outside for BBQs. He said it was perfect for both scenarios as it uses AirPlay to stream via Wi-Fi.

So when I got home and hooked it up, I was very disappointed to find out that it only worked with 2nd Gen (or later) iPod Touches, while I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch. It didn't say this anywhere but in the instructions manual. So laaame.

I found a couple of limited work arounds, one of which is to use an ethernet cable to connect to my router. This allows me to play from iTunes on my PC. No wireless steaming though, so placement of the speaker is limited to wherever I can run an ethernet cable. The other one is to use a male-to-male 3.5 jack to connect my iPod Touch or my Android phone to a port on the back of the speaker. Again, this would remove the streaming capabilites and I would not be able to use my iPod Touch as a remote.

I'd normally return this sumbitch immediately, but I was really impressed with the sound quality and really would like to be able to stream throughout the property. I also think I got a great price on it and would hate to return it. I hope I can somehow convince the wifey to splurge on a new Touch (which is very doubtful).

Airplay pls.

CNet said:
The good: Logitech's elegant UE Air Speaker can capably fill a large room with dynamic sound, and its accompanying UE Air iOS app reduces pairing to a few easy steps.

The bad: The rotating hinge under the hardware dock feels flimsy and prone to malfunction.

The bottom line: The Logitech UE Air Speaker is a worthwhile third-party AirPlay speaker for homes demanding premium sound from iOS devices, but bargain hunters can save $100 and go portable with the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker.

Performance

While the SuperTooth Disco and other Bluetooth speakers are ideal for an individual auditory experience, the UE Air really shines in a group setting like a party or a barbecue where it can flex its powerful double rear-mounted subwoofers. The unit can blast music at astoundingly loud volumes that will likely turn you deaf before blowing out, and your sweet tones will capably reach across large, open spaces thanks to the dual tweeters in front.

The bass on The Dream's "Fast Car" blasts out of the introduction with gusto, and the UE Air keeps tempo with clean thuds and a satisfying rumble that complements the lower spectrums of the synthesizer solos. As stated, the UE Air iOS app lets you add incremental bass and treble boosts, but the quality of the wireless stream achieves such sonic gains over Bluetooth that there's really no need to fiddle with micro-adjustments.

Conclusion

The Logitech UE Air speaker features impressive audio performance thanks to the AirPlay wireless standard. It makes an excellent bookshelf speaker, but be prepared to pay a premium for the relatively new technology. If you simply can't get past the price, however, a Bluetooth speaker like the SuperTooth Disco may fall more within your reach.

Am I lame for still having a 1st gen iPod Touch? Or is Logitech a bunch of assholes for not specifying on the box that it's for newer iPod Touches?

SUPREME1

Banned
does the 1st gen iPod Touch even support Airplay?

Would have been nice if the box said so.

I have an iPod Touch. The box says "Made for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad" with no mention of any exclusions, so I'm assuming I'm good to go.

I blame Apple.

Steve never would have allowed this shit to happen with their accessories partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom