• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys teaser site - news and updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhood56

Banned
Interesting. We know that the co-ordinates are definite things (the events location), what we dont know is what words like Gab, ice-cream and CUT-HERE relate to. And what about firefighter?
Firefighter could refer to 999 - which is, after all, the UK's emergency number
:)
I'll be up for a twitch stream/whatever (I'm not a member there yet though).
All you have to do is make an account but what it is chat. So instead of using the default one it is a private one.

Irru

Neo Member
The only thing that made sense is that we needed to get the words once per week OR when the counter started OR the numbers the counter displayed throughout the teaser are critically important. and as we know it is just a countdown and that nothing would have changed (as far as we know) if the words appeared quicker, it is very likely that it was made so to draw attention to the number the counter started with, and I can't bring myself to explain what 0303 might mean.

The only other explanation is that they might have wanted us to have ample time to solve the puzzle of the site, but that doesn't make much sense either as words needed to solve the puzzle are revealed over time.

My theory is that it started on 0303 because of Zero (0) Escape 3.

Yeah I dunno if that makes sense, but that's the best I can come up with.

My theory is that it started on 0303 because of Zero (0) Escape 3.

Yeah I dunno if that makes sense, but that's the best I can come up with.

Yeah, that's what I thought of as well. I couldn't bring myself to say that because it is either wishful thinking or very obvious and I don't want to hype myself even more, that's why I didn't say it.

Yeah, that's what I thought of as well. I couldn't bring myself to say that because it is either wishful thinking or very obvious and I don't want to hype myself even more, that's why I didn't say it.

That's the mindgame: make us think it's so obvious and then spend 4 months doubting and meandering.

Irru

Neo Member
033f03d9a3.png

Frank deWindt this time. I'll have a look at the credits of VLR, but his twitter says he's the Head of Production at Aksys. Pretty big name I'd think.

Edit: Seems I was correct.

e04b28ea35.jpg

Psychopath was added to the site.

Code:
<h1><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="10">34.0419</marquee></h1>
<h1><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">coin</marquee></h1>
<div class="ujic-hold ujic_center"> <div class="ujiCountdown ujic-classic" id="ujiCountdown1"></div></div>
<h1><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left" scrollamount="2">-118.2687</marquee></h1>
<h1><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="5">firefighter</marquee></h1>
<h1><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left" scrollamount="7">psychopath</marquee></h1>
<h2><marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="9">CUT&#8211;HERE</marquee></h2>

So, we have +10, 0, -2, +5, -7, +9. With right being positive and left being negative. I still think the different values are there purely to make it seem chaotic, but if anyone else sees a pattern then by all means post it.

D-Man

I remember listening to an interview featuring Mr. deWindt regarding the Zero Escape series. If I remember correctly, he has a lot of frequent and direct contact with Uchikoshi. It would make sense for him to be involved with this project if it really is ZE3.

grim-tales

Well
Ace
and
Left/Brother
could be psychopaths imo.
What if
we split that word in two = Psycho Path, perhaps one path in the game could be "good" and one evil/crazy etc, the "psycho path"

*shot*

grim-tales

Wonder if thats something else like the Punchline game. I really doubt that will be ZE3 on a more powerful home console.

yami4ct

- "Look, the Zero Escape games sell better in the West!"
- "What's the healthiest platform in the West?"
- "PS4!"
- "Let's go with that."

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since the most of the fanbase isn't there.

I'll play it wherever, but please give me a handheld release (With a vita option, preferably). I like reading VNs on a handheld far better than wrangling with them on a big screen.

Lots of VNs get combo handheld/console releases now. If that is in reference to ZE3, I wouldn't worry about it not getting a handheld release too.

It's not that unusual for vns to get console releases. The Xbox One has a few, like that Psycho Pass game, and Ever 17 has been released on PS2 and 360.

Slightly more odd if it is Zero Escape though, since that's been exclusively handheld only so far. Although it did change platforms between 999 and VLR I suppose.

On the Punchline game: I was guessing Vita for it, but I can't see any actual mention of what platform it's on. PS4 could be a possibility, since it shares a publisher with the aforementioned Psycho Pass game.

Prelude.

Shizuka

Most visual novels with a console release come with a handheld release at the same time or not too long after release.

Prelude.

why would it being on ps4 be a deathwish?
Putting it exclusively on a platform where 0.1% of its owners played the two (required) previous games is nonsensical. If it's not exclusive it's probably just a significant waste of money for a series like Zero Escape, no one is going to jump in now.

Putting it exclusively on a platform where 0.1% of its owners played the two (required) previous games is nonsensical. If it's not exclusive it's probably just a significant waste of money for a series like Zero Escape, no one is going to jump in now.

they could target a new audience and or assume we will flock over Dragon Quest style

Prelude.

they could target a new audience and or assume we will flock over Dragon Quest style
There won't be any new audience, it's the third game in a series and you need to have played the previous games and I hope they're not so delusional to think that their fans, which are on completely different platforms, are willing to pay $/&#8364;399 just to play it.

There won't be any new audience, it's the third game in a series and you need to have played the previous games and I hope they're not so delusional to think that their fans, which are on completely different platforms, are willing to pay $/€399 just to play it.

yes and no. they can recap the events of the previous 2 games either by sewing it into the narrative or providing it in the prologue.

witcher 3 did it. you could also play it in such a way that you don't even need to have played the previous 2 games.

Prelude.

yes and no. they can recap the events of the previous 2 games either by sewing it into the narrative or providing it in the prologue.
Ignoring the plethora of informations they should squeeze into a "recap" why should they botch the game so that people that never cared about the series until now can play the final chapter? Which plot-heavy game ever did that?

you could also play it in such a way that you don't even need to have played the previous 2 games.
No, you can't. It's gonna use old characters and we have a general idea of what it will be about, they can't pull that trick again.

witcher 3 did it. you could also play it in such a way that you don't even need to have played the previous 2 games.

Do you really think they could attract enough old fans to get a PS4 for ZE3 as well as attract enough new customers to a final game in a trilogy (excluding ZE fans who already own a PS4) to turn in a profit?

I think it is very risky to do, why not just go for your established audience who have either a Vita or a 3DS?

Prelude.

I think it will be a ps4/vita game personally. I'll probably buy both versions too.
Well, even if I don't care personally I hope it's on the 3ds too. It'd be pretty insulting skipping one of the handhelds after those collages people sent to Uchikoshi, Operation Bluebird and all that.

Ignoring the plethora of informations they should squeeze into a "recap" why should they botch the game so that people that never cared about the series until now can play the final chapter? Which plot-heavy game ever did that?

No, you can't. It's gonna use old characters and we have a general idea of what it will be about, they can't pull that trick again.

I have faith they won't botch the game, and honestly, the more newcomers the merrier. We have no idea how they'll handle the final chapter.

It's a great opportunity to actually flesh out the events of the first two games, since the biggest issue with the first game is the pacing.

Do you really think they could attract enough old fans to get a PS4 for ZE3 as well as attract enough new customers to a final game in a trilogy (excluding ZE fans who already own a PS4) to turn in a profit?

I think it is very risky to do, why not just go for your established audience who have either a Vita or a 3DS?

Risky? Well, I suppose there is a barometer to gauge the risk involved. However it is a different climate now for VNs, as the West is becoming increasingly receptive to VN games. Going multiplatform would suit ZE3 best. 3DS/Vita/PS4/PC would be ideal for development. 3ds and Vita are quickly dying. PS4 and PC are on the rise. Best catch those new waves.

Swamped

Banned
I too believe that if at all there is a ZE3 it will be multiplatform. It will probably sell best on the 3DS of course, but I do think it would be silly not to release it on PC given how so many new VNs are being released on PC. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if part of the announcement was that the first two games are going to be re-released on PC, so a whole new audience could play the series.

takoyaki

Uchikoshi's new game might be released for PS4:
https://twitter.com/2BFLiam/status/613076029146591232
Was this known before?

Thanks for sharing, this is definitely interesting.

It's from a book called "The Untold History Of Japanese Game Developers" that was kickstarted in early 2013. I have a copy myself. The Interview is 10 pages long and covers Uchikoshi's life and career. All interviews in this book were conducted in the fall of 2013 (the Uchikoshi interview is from 28 October 2013). That was before the PS4 had been released, when people still had hope that it would do really well in Japan.

This is how the interview ends:

Q: Is there anything else you'd like say?
A: Since in overseas countries my works - 999, Virtue's Last Reward - have been much appreciated, there's just one thing I want to say: have great expectations for my next work.

Q: When will it be out?
A: It comes out after your book.

Q: Oh! Is there any hint you can give?
A: <laughs> I think it will be out on Playstation4.

Q: Excellent. I look forward to it. Do you like working on Playstation 4?
A: I haven't actually touched the Playstation 4 machine. We first write the scenario, then we develop it.

Q: Do you feel that other visual novel developers should put more effort into releasing their games outside of Japan? It feels like we're missing out on a lot of titles.
A: With visual novels I feel that there are many titles out there that are really interesting. But the big answer there would be that they should definitely be translated, to try the overseas market. But the biggest problem here is that for these visual novels, the volume of text is really huge, and it becomes a serious obstacle towards localising them for overseas.

Q: Thank you very much.
A: Thank you!

note: quote taken from this book, written by S.M.G Szczepaniak, available on amazon (kindle/book)

I also remember at least one survey done by Aksys to see which platforms people want to play VNs on, the timing fits if that had something to do with planning ahead for ZE3. Especially if they are involved in development this time.

People who don't own a PS4 shouldn't be worried. I think a PS4/PS3 version is a possible option, but something that would happen additionally to a handheld version. That's a model used quite frequently for VNs in Japan (428, Steins;Gate, Root Double, etc.). Console/PC versions could also mean that ZE1 and 2 get a re-release, otherwise you can't really grow the franchise on console(s)/PC.

takoyaki

Psychopath was added to the site.

Code:
[B]<h1>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="10">34.0419</marquee></h1>
[B]<h1>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left">coin</marquee></h1>
<div class="ujic-hold ujic_center"> <div class="ujiCountdown ujic-classic" id="ujiCountdown1"></div></div>
[B]<h1>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left" scrollamount="2">-118.2687</marquee></h1>
[B]<h1>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="5">firefighter</marquee></h1>
[B]<h1>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="left" scrollamount="7">psychopath</marquee></h1>
[B]<h2>[/B]<marquee behavior="scroll" direction="right" scrollamount="9">CUT–HERE</marquee></h2>

So they used header1 for the first 4 moving words/numbers, switched to header2 for CUT-HERE which is the only word written differently, and now the've switched back to header1. Still think that "CUT-HERE" is supposed to stand out on purpose. My guess is still that it's an instruction.

grim-tales

There won't be any new audience, it's the third game in a series and you need to have played the previous games and I hope they're not so delusional to think that their fans, which are on completely different platforms, are willing to pay $/€399 just to play it.

I agree. If its exclusively on PS4 thats way, way too much money for me at this point. I dont mind 3DS/Vita as before but having the last one on a home console (with possible enhancements) even if its also on a handheld doesnt make sense IMO.

CassSept

It's a visual novel, not really a perfect fit for a home console game.

grim-tales

I can see why they might re release the series on PC though but
They'd still have to rewrite one of the series' best twists if they did

Drago

Oh god if it's a PS4 exclusive (and I don't think it will be, but...), I guess I'd have no choice but to give in and buy one. I don't really need or want a PS4 too badly right now, but if ZE3 was PS4 only, I'd buy one ASAP. It's one of the very few games I'd do that for
at least it would mean I'd also get to play the new Ratchet and Clank

Just give me a 3DS/Vita release. Or even PC, I'd love if they ported the entire series over!

I imagine that it could be the game he's referencing in the interview, but then again he did say he wanted western fans to look forward to it, and I doubt he'd be referencing the Punchline title that way.

This teaser needs to end! O_O

They turned the panty avoiding into a game mechanic.... I should have seen that coming.

Different ending to the anime. I hope the anime actually does have a proper ending, since we're never getting that game.

takoyaki

Short summary of the important stuff from the Famitsu article:

• They'll finally have details on the game in this week&#8217;s Famitsu
  • Punchline will be available on PS4/Vita, the article will introduce us to how the game works
  • Interview with Mr. Kazuhiro Ichikawa from MAGES (the producer) and Mr. Kotaro Uchikoshi from Spike-Chunsoft (the scenario writer)
  • Quote from the interview: &#8220;The end of the game and the anime will be different&#8221;
  • director: Takumi Nakazawa
  • character design: Shota Iwasaki
  • music: Tetsuya Komuro
  • release: this winter
  • genre: adventure [note: some games that are referred to as &#8220;Visual Novels&#8221; in the West are called &#8220;Adventure Games&#8221; in Japan]

Good to see the game looking nothing like the teaser site ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom