• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

'i'm thrilled to be here for this mystery!...'

still very early going, but i basically already despise saga. yet another kidult protagonist (with her own child?!), who responds to investigating the discovery of the mutilated corpse of a fellow agent who disappeared 13 years previously with the enthusiasm of... a happy little puppy playing a video game? trying to keep an open mind, but, damn! what a step down from francis york morgan...

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yooo what up Max

UCiOFFh.jpg

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Playing on PC and the visuals are insane. I was just staring at the wet roads. The way it's all playing out is really neat as well.

Last edited:
Right but is that gameplay proper puzzle solving and some sort of mechanics for it or is it just walking sim style stuff where you walk from A to B to trigger a cutscene and the case is "solved". Almost every post seems to focus mostly on how great it looks and how cool the story is and I can't get a sense of how it plays personally.

I don't want to waste my money on pushing forward to the next cutscene type of game design is all so I wanna make sure 😅
From what I’ve played so far. Mostly what you described - I’ve shot like 3 people but I’m also only on chapter 2? Hopefully it picks up in that department

Also: To people saying the console versions are about on par with the pc ones,.. uh I don’t think so. The amount of aliasing stuff, like weird shimmering on stuff all over the place - i don’t know why this is but it is VERY noticeable to me. And I’ve seen it just doesn’t exist on the high pc settings. It would improve the experience immensely for me if that was not part of the visuals. Otherwise it looks absolutely stunning

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Has anyone come across anything that's blatantly "woke" since it was revealed that company Sweet Baby had their hands on this? I don't count playing as a black girl woke, even though she was originally white.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone come across anything that's blatantly "woke" since it was revealed that company Sweet Baby had their hands on this? I don't count playing as a black girl woke, even though she was originally white.
Nah. No wokeness so far. Awesome Finnish dudebro jokes and Twin Peaks people vibes. I am hoping that they used that company just as protection money and plausible deniability.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nah Sagas fine aside from her originally being white 😂

Whatever. She’s great. The fucked thing is how you can hear the Euro accent slip in sometimes during dialogue. But it’s charming to me. Reminds me of Heavy Rain with NAHMAN Jayden.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's lots of Control references just in the first two chapters, not sure why they would say it's not needed to have played before AW2.

Anyone whose playing this without Control will have absolutely no idea what all their shit is about.

phant0m

'i'm thrilled to be here for this mystery!...'

still very early going, but i basically already despise saga. yet another kidult protagonist (with her own child?!), who responds to investigating the discovery of the mutilated corpse of a fellow agent who disappeared 13 years previously with the enthusiasm of... a happy little puppy playing a video game? trying to keep an open mind, but, damn! what a step down from francis york morgan...
also found this a little weird but it's not exclusive to saga. in the incident at police station shortly after the scene you describe there's shooting, the sheriff disappears and the 2 deputies basically trip over the body over another officer. your explanation is basically
"yeah man it was crazy the sheriff's gone and the corpse turned into a monster and attacked us, we gotta go catch him!"
the deputies say "oh shit that's crazy, you go do that and we'll clean this up".

lol.

no. where's this coming from? nothing in any of the previews or reviews described anything "woke"? remedy has never been "woke"?

are we becoming like the purple place and need to ask other players if a game has content that might trigger our sensibilities? fucks sake

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fuck me, FUCK ME, I came cross the Crossbow and just recently find out the place when you encounter your first enemy and place you find the heart there is Shotgun I forgot to pick up.

I could have defeated the first boss with the Shotgun! Is there way I can go back to pick it up?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

no. where's this coming from? nothing in any of the previews or reviews described anything "woke"? remedy has never been "woke"?
vrYY3RX.jpg

Plus Saga was originally white but changed to black, is it due to the above or an actual creative decision, who knows. But the company above is useless and shouldn't have any involvement in anything whatsoever except to appease their own world view.

phant0m

vrYY3RX.jpg

Plus Saga was originally white but changed to black, is it due to the above or an actual creative decision, who knows. But the company above is useless and shouldn't have any involvement in anything whatsoever except to appease their own world view.
meh. so far AW II is great, Spider-man 2 is great, GoW: Ragnarok was solid. not saying they're "good" but just that their involvement doesn't necessarily mean a game turns into shite.

Does this game have loading screens everywhere like Starfield, or is this a real honest to goodness current tech game?
this a real-ass current gen game. outstanding visuals. animation quality on par with any 1st party AAA. it does the "instantly teleport you from one place to another" even better than R&C. it loads in the following occasions:
  1. Initial load aftering pressing new game/continue
  2. After dying
  3. Between chapters (1+ hr each). It's hidden behind a cutscene so you really don't "notice" it

game drips with tension. probably the best horror game i've played since RE VII. it's got it all too, it doesn't over do any horror trope too much (at least 4-5 hours in). soundtrack and audio design is great.

my #1 complaint is i CANNOT see a sam lake character model with james mccaffrey's voice and not think Max Payne. i almost hope at the end it's revealed that Casey is Payne's alter ago when he gets off a pills & booze bender or some other weird FCB/AWE shit.

Last edited:

nashman

Fellow 4070ti owners........We are feasting! Path tracing with everything Ultra this feels smooth AF. Looks amazing. You could tell me this is 1440p native and locked 60 fps and I would believe you or question this feels 70-90 fps so far in the first 90 mins.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fuck me, FUCK ME, I came cross the Crossbow and just recently find out the place when you encounter your first enemy and place you find the heart there is Shotgun I forgot to pick up.

I could have defeated the first boss with the Shotgun! Is there way I can go back to pick it up?
I got the shotgun but I haven’t been back. So idk. Good question.

That first song though.

hua-concert.gif

Needlecrash

Spent 3.5 hours in the game so far on PS5. Game is a STUNNER. So far the game is more Adventure/Supernatural focused with Action elements than Action w/ Adventure focused. It starts off crazy, then chill then some... WTF moments in there too. This is a must buy for anyone interested, for real.

There's some light shimmering issues in some areas in the game but it's not prevalent. Runs smooth on performance mode too.

kikkis

Personally I don't think game looks good at least on perf mode. Forests look alright but town kind of middling. I think it would benefit greatly from increased resolution but perf mode it is for me.

Jedi0608

Personally I don't think game looks good at least on perf mode. Forests look alright but town kind of middling. I think it would benefit greatly from increased resolution but perf mode it is for me.
I’m all for performance mode like 95% of the time but graphics mode is the way to go here for this game. It’s jarring at first but after 20-30 minutes it’s fine. It looks much better than performance mode, graphically.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Aaaaaaand.... all of this 1080p DLSS Performance @ 576p and only 7% of people could play the game at native 1080p High preset without RT was complete and utter BS:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Even 3060Ti can run the game at native 1440p with High preset without hardware RT and with + - stable 30FPS lock. Remedy, what the fuck were you doing by making that PC Req table?:messenger_weary:

I'm getting 99% stable locked 4K DLSS Quality 40FPS experience with every setting maxed out except hardware RT and PT (both completely turned off) on my 3080Ti and even though the game uses almost all VRAM, there's no memory leaks and massive stutters or performance drops like you can experience in Cyberpunk and which won't be fixed ever. I'll take that, thank you very much. When there'll be actual hardware available to run the game with the same settings and performance and full hardware RT + PT enabled, I'll do that, but for now, I'm perfectly fine with software RT and maxed out raster image, which btw is insanely good looking:
XrJvH45.jpg
VjZN0A1.jpg
A3UsdQW.jpg
Tq15q7M.jpg
uS8ZbwR.jpg
FzeGjiT.jpg
Easily one of the best looking games I've ever played along with Horizon: Forbidden West, Demon's Souls, A Plague: Tale Requiem etc. Absolutely mind-blowing stuff even with a few visual compromises here and there in terms of assets and geometry quality (mostly past gen rock formation quality with moss as flat textures, lack of tesselation/mech shaders and stuff like that). Also, with mesh shaders, there's no need for tesselation anymore which is very expensive performance-wise while mech shaders not only look insanly good but also much less performance intensive on a capable hardware. Idk whether or not the ground and other geometry can benefit from mesh shaders as well to achieve the same visual effect as much more expencive tesselation, but if they are... then why the fuck do we even need much more expensive and outdated tessellation anymore?

Peformance and visuals aside and even though I'm not that far into the game yet, but I like this game more that the first one for sure, plus it's more like modern RE with some investigations stuff which is great and right up my alley. Will be playing the game the whole weekend and share more thoughts later.

Last edited:

Forsythia

I've run into an annoying bug where I cannot leave the Mind Place. I also cannot use anything on the board when that happens. Only solution is to restart the game. Series X. I might have to wait for a patch before I can continue. 😑

Jedi0608

I've run into an annoying bug where I cannot leave the Mind Place. I also cannot use anything on the board when that happens. Only solution is to restart the game. Series X. I might have to wait for a patch before I can continue. 😑
Damn sorry to hear that. I will say I don’t like not being able to save on the fly. I get the old school
Thermos joint, but cmon lol. Exploring can actually take a bit of time and then if you die, you’re back to the beginning if you didn’t find a thermos. But that’s a very minor criticism. This is masterpiece stuff in my eyes.

TrebleShot

Haven't started properly yet, just checked quickly and I'm a bit dissappointed that the DualSense features (on PC) are wired only.
Yeah annoying and not sure it’s “full” dualsense features as I don’t have it on my PS5.

Currently running a 4m usb cable from my media unit, it’s like the old days with wired controllers blurgh

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I beat encountered the first boss nightingal I’m playing on hard and this guys just wouldn’t die.
I feel like I'm missing something, went through the ammo I had plus some extra ammo in some boxes during the fight, and still ran out. If hard mode just means "can't miss any shots or else you won't actually have the ammo to progress" I might have to bitch out to normal mode. That and the save point cadence is a bit weird.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah annoying and not sure it’s “full” dualsense features as I don’t have it on my PS5.

Currently running a 4m usb cable from my media unit, it’s like the old days with wired controllers blurgh
Is there anything else I need to download or do I just plug the cable into the dual sense and my PC and it works?

I've never used a ps5 controller on my PC as I just use my 8 bitdo ultimate

Jedi0608

I feel like I'm missing something, went through the ammo I had plus some extra ammo in some boxes during the fight, and still ran out. If hard mode just means "can't miss any shots or else you won't actually have the ammo to progress" I might have to bitch out to normal mode. That and the save point cadence is a bit weird.
Assume you got the Shotgun? def makes the battle easier, but I did a bit of exploring to load up on ammo.

Last edited:
Are you talking about that 7 year old easter egg in Quantum Break before Remedy even knew they were going to make Alan Wake 2?

Last edited:
Is there anything else I need to download or do I just plug the cable into the dual sense and my PC and it works?

You may need to use a PS5 to update the controller firmware, but other than that it's pretty much plug and play.

TrebleShot

Yeah just plug it in, most of the games that use it have built in support (spider man, ratchet, F1, Alan Wake 2) if using a steam game you’ll have to disable steam input and restart that game.

As mentioned though a lot of them have half DS support so you’ll get the triggers and the haptics but the speaker may not work.

Also when you first plug it in , might show up as a speaker in windows, so just select your usual sound output.

Certinty

Really enjoying this.

No idea what’s going on in the story but it’s weird and trippy and I guess it’s meant to be confusing for the time being.

Slow start to the game but glad I stuck around through it.

Have to also say i’m enjoying this far more on story difficulty than normal as well. Just flows better, not a fan of this being a survival horror game, just doesn’t fit that vibe for me. I prefer the atmospheric horror it produces far more.

Top Bottom