• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Wizz-Art

The good people at Remedy decided to hire a local music production company, writers, singers and make their own original songs this time to circumvent licensing fees like the original had and the first song "Follow You Into the Dark" is really well done, it fits the atmosphere perfectly.

Production values for this game seems to be high, how they managed to pull it off did EPIC pay them that much?

sinnergy

The good people at Remedy decided to hire a local music production company, writers, singers and make their own original songs this time to circumvent licensing fees like the original had and the first song "Follow You Into the Dark" is really well done, it fits the atmosphere perfectly.

Production values for this game seems to be high, how they managed to pull it off did EPIC pay them that much?
Yeah sure .. but no Roy Orbison is a total loss imo .

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Initiation part 4: We Sing.

I can safely say I’ve never done anything like this in any video game.

Straight out of twin peaks madness and insanity, and the best moment in any game 2023. In a year full of games filled with “oh wow” moments … this ? This was … beyond special.

SCB3

Just started today and the first hour or so, this whole detective thing could be a game in of itself, I like it

So does Saga have some kinda power of intuition or something?

Also sidenote, I really need to go watch Twin Peaks, between AW, Control and Deadly Premonition I'm sure I'd love it

Last edited:

Shakka43

Fellow 4070ti owners........We are feasting! Path tracing with everything Ultra this feels smooth AF. Looks amazing. You could tell me this is 1440p native and locked 60 fps and I would believe you or question this feels 70-90 fps so far in the first 90 mins.
Is this with Frame generation? I'm not having the greatest experience with a 3080 ti, indoors is fine but wood area is pretty bad.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Do people who hated Control enjoy this? I found that game to be a real uninteresting slog. Hated the character, location, and all the batshit stuff going on that made no sense.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Straight out of twin peaks madness and insanity, and the best moment in any game 2023. In a year full of games filled with “oh wow” moments … this ? This was … beyond special.
The combine between the game and live action was very creative....I was impressed.

The Deadly Premonition reference is very subtle but it made me chuckle. When you meet the sheriff, Max Payne Alex Casey comments that they hope he isn't the killer lol

Also this game is not immune to bugs. I've had a menu prompt for Saga show up while playing during Alan's section. Very annoying.

Also, T-Pose!!
(minor Initiation 2 spoilers)
ZTuTn5E.jpg

Hugare

Do people who hated Control enjoy this? I found that game to be a real uninteresting slog. Hated the character, location, and all the batshit stuff going on that made no sense.
I hated Control, but I loved the first Alan Wake

So play that first? Should be required for the sequel

I'm loving it. Only 3h so far tho, but its the sequel that I've always wanted and then some

Last edited:

M1987

Is this with Frame generation? I'm not having the greatest experience with a 3080 ti, indoors is fine but wood area is pretty bad.
Must be as it's not that much faster without it.What settings and frames are you getting? I have a 3080TI,but I want to know how it runs before I buy the game

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fuuuuck me the shooting feels good. It’s not re4 of course, but Remedy has always had their own distinct feel of their gunplay.

It’s weighty and it’s loud. And it feels fuckin awesome.
much, MUCH better than the original game, both movement and shooting. in original game Alan had lung of 90 year old man, one small sprint and he will get tired.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Must be as it's not that much faster without it.What settings and frames are you getting? I have a 3080TI,but I want to know how it runs before I buy the game
On medium settings (RT on) dlss performance (3440x1440) it hovers at low 30s in the woods area. It runs over 60fps indoors.
I have a 9700k cpu, doesn't seem like the game it's too cpu heavy though.

Last edited:

decisions

Sorry, I'm hoping it's a total flop with its decision to go epic game store exclusive..

They really shot themselves in the foot with that one. Control was kind of a breakout hit for them, not sure why they felt like they needed Epic after that game. I’m the only one in my PC friend group playing this game because I’m the only one with a PS5 lol.

Last edited:

M1987

On medium settings (RT on) dlss performance (3440x1440) it hovers at low 30s in the woods area. It runs over 60fps indoors.
I have a 9700k cpu, doesn't seem like the game it's too cpu heavy though.
That's bad,is that with path tracing off?

End of Ch4 on both characters.

It's really good, nowhere close to GOTY good I'm definitely enjoying it heaps.

Survival horror? This game is a comedy. It's just super tongue-in-cheek, Saga and Casey are so hilariously matter-of-fact.

A dude with his heart cut out just tore through the station? Just another day in the office!

Saga drops one-liners like that blasting through demons in the forest "Well now there is less monsters!", "Finally an exciting case!", kid you not.

Don't get me started with the Finnish bros, this shit is hysterical.

And it totally works.

Like the story and where it's all going. Combat is fine, still probably game's weakest point but lightyears better than the first game, which is not exactly an achievement. Both characters have their own mechanics to keep it interesting and I'm surprised how open and wide-linear the game is. So many huge optional areas and puzzles.

Worth pointing out, the game also seems to allow 100% backtracking if you missed anything in later chapters, no areas on lockout with missables... this is just the type of design that really helps my OCD where my day is always ruined having realized I missed some random pointless piece of bullshit somewhere. Thanks Remedy.

Voice acting is spot on, I hated the idea of FMV implementation but at this proportion, it somehow comes together nicely.

Quality mode on PS5 looks superb and plays fine adventuring but goes to utter shit in combat, in performance IQ takes a hit but to me it's a good trade-off against slideshows.

Back to it!
Yeah combat leaves to be desired. If it was like TLoUPII it'd be awesome.

Needlecrash

I bet you Epic paid Remedy VERY well for this. Tbh, Epic got that Fornite money and can afford to get those publishing rights first. I'm very happy to see the evolution of the Northlight engine. I can't wait to see how Max Payne 1 and 2 remake, and Control 2, will look with the engine.

MCplayer

Guys! I have a question about the mindplace clues, can the clues be misplaced and therefore affecting the investigation? If not why not just let the game automatically allocate the clues in the caseboard since the player cant misplace it.
Someone answer this please

Arsic

It cannot be stressed enough how amazing GeForce now ultimate is. I will not be upgrading my PC ever again now lmao.

Being able to play the game at max everything 4k with zero issues is bliss.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I want to buy it right now, however, I am not going to pay the full price in digital edition.... Let it come out in physical format and they already have my purchase.

Last edited:
2 main gripes : a lot of bugs, and the investigation part with Saga feels very artificial, and doesn't do anything good for the overall pacing of the game.

Also i'm playing on console and i think the gap with PC must be huge, aliasing, shadow resolution, reflections...all of this is shockingly bad on console. The game still looks very good overall but it lacks a clean visual.

As for the rest i'm enjoying myself despite the game taking its time at the beginning, i was never bored.
I had a bug, which happened when I picked up an item and got attacked during the pickup animation. Afterwards, if I pressed forward on the left stick, Saga would float faster than run-speed to the right. Made it so I could easily avoid the enemy, but it was unplayable, of course. I just reloaded in that case.

There's lots of Control references just in the first two chapters, not sure why they would say it's not needed to have played before AW2.
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ
You don't want to put off part of your potential customer base.

Does this game have loading screens everywhere like Starfield, or is this a real honest to goodness current tech game?
Nope--it's seamless once you're in an area. And the areas are quite large, where you'll be spending an hour or two in them.

That Koskela Bros

It’s like a bizzaro world Finnish Tim & Eric sketch
I was smirking during that first ad, but then "Fuck the Government" made me laugh out loud. Genuinely funny.

I thought Control was fine but that it's story and dialogue was off-putting. I'd say the writing in AWII is much better. And that's coming from someone who laughed at the story in Alan Wake 1: "It's not a lake--it's an ocean!" Miss me with that meaningless sequel bait ending. But now AWII has got me actually caring about what happens.

Flabagast

Twin peaks season 3 is the wildest TV has ever been.

Go watch it

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone answer this please

Not that I know of. I tried bruteforcing some clues and if you select the wrong category Saga will sigh or say something like "I have to think" and the image will go back in your inventory.

Arsic

I know it's a great game, but my rule is clear...

Don't buy digital games at full price.

Also, sooner or later it will come out in physical format....
Who is putting a gun to your head or making these rules?

You’re literally fucking your own life up with weird ass rules.

It’s a hobby to have fun bro. Your one sale has 0 impact on what EPIC, Remedy, or all these companies plan to do. All digital is the future anyway.

If physical ever happens, then buy it then again if you want.

Or if you want to sanely support a developer who got to make a dream game thanks to this format and epic support so you can then enjoy yourself in your free time, just play it.

Or don’t. Limiting your own enjoyment on the planet is your own call.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Only 3 hours in, there are times when this game looks just god awful. i went with quality mode since the fps of totk made it easy to play 30 fps games again but still even with quailty mode on this game looks fuzzy, blurry and gritty. Fsr is a terrible technology and i much prefer to play this game at a lower but a real resolation. My tv is a 65 inch Sony Oled (A80K) so i dont think its because of my tv quality.

nightingale boss fight is just bad btw. You can not see shit. The area you fight is very hard to find your way through. Beat him on the first try but i was very frustrated with the level design.

I played the original back when it was first released and loved it. i like the second one so far but i do not understand how it got 10s and 9s all over. Maybe it’ll pick up later, no?

I was looking at PSNProfiles, and the game debuted with just little over 1k players... this is really bad imo.

I think "digital only" will heavily affect the game's sales on consoles. Maybe it will do better on Xbox and PC, since Microsoft is pushing digital hard (and the og game was an Xbox console exclusive).

Top Bottom