• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce wants to address the situational "kid disability" problem a lot of players have.

GrayChild

You tell 'em girl. We need to go even further and create more stories that bring awareness to the negative part of having kids. Like... the fact your life will no longer revolve around gaming and gaming only. Who in their right mind would want to live like that?

P.S. This is also another thread where everyone's encouraged to post some visual proof of how brilliant and forward-thinking our NeoGAF queen is.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Excuse Me What GIF by CBS

mdkirby

This is a problem with Elden ring etc. obstensibly single player games but no pause. They make them pretty unplayable by my friends with kids. Returnal was particularly bad where a session may last 2hours, it’s just uninterrupted time that cannot be guaranteed by a parent. Multiplayer is ofcourse worse.

This is actually a perfect use case for those ai clones Sony patented. So when u have to check out it just takes the reins from you for a bit and mirrors your style.

This is a problem with Elden ring etc. obstensibly single player games but no pause. They make them pretty unplayable by my friends with kids. Returnal was particularly bad where a session may last 2hours, it’s just uninterrupted time that cannot be guaranteed by a parent. Multiplayer is ofcourse worse.

This is actually a perfect use case for those ai clones Sony patented. So when u have to check out it just takes the reins from you for a bit and mirrors your style.

It is a genuine nightmare when your toddlers are jumping all over you, trying to get your attention, and you are trying to backstab a harpie right up the arsehole and get the timing just right. Come on devs - give us a pause button to fend them off and then we can get back to slaying!

Zathalus

Sounds about right, situational disability is a very broad term and refers to anything that prevents you from completing X task in an optimal manner due to a specific (often temporary) issue. Getting distracted by your phone or bright lights while driving is an example of it.

Doesn’t really mean you are mentally or physically disabled or anything like that.

GrayChild

Is having a full time job also a situational disability? What about a bladder or a stomach with their own needs? I never realised how limited I was.

1. Yes. By her definition, you can mark everything that prevents you from progressing further as disability:

3gOfKRa.png

Take me for example. I have to work some extra hours these days, so I can't progress that much in Shadow of the Erdtree. Therefore, my job is a disability.

2. Yes, but you can just wear a diaper, which is technically an accessibility feature.

Toots

Gold Member
You tell 'em girl. We need to go even further and create more stories that bring awareness to the negative part of having kids. Like... the fact your life will no longer revolve around gaming and gaming only. Who in their right mind would want to live like that?
Goddam right !
I'd go even further and say what pisses man/womanchildren off is everything in their life doesn't revolve around themselves anymore...
And they seem totally oblivious to their egotistical behavior.
On dating apps some time ago i saw a lot of women describing themselves as solaire (which means "sun like", with sun qualities). I think they meant they were shining brigthly or something but im pretty sure it really meant "im the center of the universe and everything revolves around me"...

Last edited:

DJ12

Terminology aside, she's right though. Not being able to pause a single player game is stupid.

Some of you have a massive hate boner for this woman, not sure why.

It's called responsibility, not disability.

You are a parent and you have more responsibilities now, deal with them instead of playing video games.
If a game designer doesn't want a pause screen in their game it's their choice to do so.
Ok what about when my child needs to pause the game when he needs a piss or shit.

Should he just die and lose all his progress or sit there, shit himself and carry on.

Last edited:
Looking at these pictures, I am unable to stand up which I guess is also a situational disability. It's really ironic because I have got an advert just pop up showing a T-shirt saying ''I know I am old, but at least I saw the world before it went to sh*t.'' Sums this story up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

P.S. This is also another thread where everyone's encouraged to post some visual proof of how brilliant and forward-thinking our NeoGAF queen is.

There is nothing wrong with what she is saying. Why do you feel the need to make this into something bad? Games should be pausable in most cases. Even a sneeze or doorbell could require a break. Kids is just an example where there is a constant chance of a needed interruption. Developers that don't consider this are fucking assholes.

Lunarorbit

Just press the share button. We've had this discussion as an industry 3 years ago maybe? People were all pissed off at not being able to pause cut scenes.

Plus that term is dog shit. I'm not captain PC by any means but putting the word disability in a term should have more gravity than meaning kid's interrupt game play.

It's called parenting.

Darchaos

Thank gid we have random people on the internet telling us things. Not proffessionals with real jobs, in this case a doctor maybe? And im pretty sure that doctor would have laughed and just walked away🤣

The fuck is wrong with the world, it gets worse every fucking day. Thank fuck you can turn it off grab a fishing rod and just go fish and listen to the nature, then everything feels actuall fine.

DAHGAMING

For fuck sake well done, we have already got a nation of scummers with a fake disability to claim that dole money, now were guna get a new wave claiming for this shit aswell.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
"Situational disability refers to a temporary impairment in a person’s ability to interact with technology due to their situation, context, or environment. For instance, someone might struggle to read a screen under bright sunlight, type on a keyboard with a broken arm, or hear a phone call in a noisy crowd."
Yes.
It is a correct term in this situation, and has nothing to do with calling having kids a disability or some nonsense like that.

So technically correct.
But... it's a problematic term to use in practice, for the other meaning of the word "disability" and because people have regressed so far mentally that they have become incapable of reason in many instances.
Getting so triggered by the use of a single word that the rest of the context just disappears from someone's mind is peak online discourse in 2024.

Mowcno

Next time you see a parent and a small child just tell them how sorry you are they have a temporary disability

See how they react.

You may be gorgeous chica but wrong on this one
A situational disability is just a term that refers to anything in your surroundings that impacts your ability to fully use your senses. You can hate that's the term if you like but it's factually correct.

Top Bottom