• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce wants to address the situational "kid disability" problem a lot of players have.

Killjoy-NL

Alt?
Well I’ve been here for 19 years, seen the ups and downs, been off the board as well and returned. GAF is fine.
And gaming violence is so much more realistic today than decades ago, cool that your kid is fine but do you for real mean that you can’t think of any game not suitable for young kids? Then I have nothing more to say to you.
No alt.

But obviously I wasn't talking about letting a 6yo play TLOU.
At 10 or 11 though, I don't see a problem.
And there are more games than just TLOU.

Also, obviously you keep an eye on how your kid handles certain games, but that's your role as parent.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
lmao okay go play TLOU2 with your kids if you want 👍
But I’m not using my kids as guinea pigs on how gaming violence affects a young mind.
If you are going to have an argument, at least have one that isn’t based on disingenuous assertions and strawman arguments.

Fredrik

No alt.

But obviously I wasn't talking about letting a 6yo play TLOU.
But at 10 or 11, I don't see a problem.

And there are more games then TLOU.
If you’re talking about 10-11+ year old kids then don’t say ”Kids can play all games we can play as well.” as if you’re talking about kids at all ages.
Pointless discussion.
But for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t let my 11yo play TLOU2 or any game with realistic violence. Call me grandpa or snowflake all you want. I chopped heads in games 40 years ago but then it was just big pixels. Today things look more or less photo realistic and I’m not willing to use my kids to see if they turn out fine with no restrictions.

Killjoy-NL

If you’re talking about 10-11+ year old kids then don’t say ”Kids can play all games we can play as well.” as if you’re talking about kids at all ages.
Pointless discussion.
But for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t let my 11yo play TLOU2 or any game with realistic violence. Call me grandpa or snowflake all you want. I chopped heads in games 40 years ago but then it was just big pixels. Today things look more or less photo realistic and I’m not willing to use my kids to see if they turn out fine with no restrictions.
Okay, Karen.

This "games turn kids violent" rethoric is really old-fashioned thinking.
And saying "but back then, it was just pixels" is a flawed argument, because everything is relative. Especially when it comes to how kids perceive media, regardless of time-period.

If there's any kid that becomes violent due to media, they already had concerning psychological underlying issues.

Fredrik

If there's any kid that becomes violent due to media, they already had concerning psychological underlying issues.
I agree on that. But I’m not a phsychologist so I deliberately avoid testing my kids if they have issues and go rampant without restrictions. And therefore I want more big budget AAA games that kids can play.
🤷‍♂️

Hrk69

Gold Member
I like her channel and opinions.

But she's dead to me since she a filthy Liverpool fan who loves Van Dijk.
Premier League Yes GIF by Liverpool FC

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I agree on that. But I’m not a phsychologist so I deliberately avoid testing my kids if they have issues and go rampant without restrictions. And therefore I want more big budget AAA games that kids can play.
🤷‍♂️
It has long since proven that violent games do not make someone violent. Only shitty parenting does that.

As long as you educate your kids, they will be fine.

Last edited:

MonkD

When people without disabilities started using it to push their own fucking agenda that is better described with the word inconvenient.
I don't disagree with that. But at the same time I've been with enough workplaces to have seen/heard so many illogical terms for stuff that I simply don't care. If it's dumb enough it will die out on it's own. This is making a mountain out of a molehill
It's part of the "inclusive/Woke" nonsense.
Tbf, most of them are mentally disabled

Top Bottom