• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce wants to address the situational "kid disability" problem a lot of players have.

MarkMe2525

This is being taken out of context, but I guess it's normal for gaffers brains to turn off when someone with tits says something.

Unknown?

Having kids is a disability, this isn't news.

Imagine all the stuff you can't do anymore once you have kids. Literal nightmare.
Yes but in her case imagine how much bigger they'll get filled with milk. I'm sure she will see the positives.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Just press the share button. We've had this discussion as an industry 3 years ago maybe? People were all pissed off at not being able to pause cut scenes.
Thank GIF

Finally someone who gets it.

I used to press the PS button that takes you to the dashboard. Not sure if this works with the current generation.

A pause button would be preferable obviously.

Last edited:

Metnut

Disability is the wrong word but her main point is right. There’s nothing to be done about it though.

Some games work better while playing live without a pause option and kid havers need to deal with that. As someone with two young kids, I generally avoid playing any GAAS or multiplayer games. Souls games are fine though. Usually I can get to a safe spot and stop the game. Sometimes I have to leave and end up dying and losing souls/runes. Life goes on.

Also, it’s hilarious how a pretty girl triggers a lot of the snowflakes here. Hit the gym, dress better, and get out there and some of that hate will go away. Life is too short to hate women.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I agree, though, there is no reason a single player game shouldn't have a pause button and it is a limitation, not just for people with kids or people with ADD, but people with phones and people who pee, and people who can't always dedicate uninterrupted 3 hour blocks to gaming.

mdkirby

FYI: You can quickly save and quit whenever and wherever, and return to your exact spot upon reload.
Oh, when did it start doing that 🤦‍♂️…I’ve always played until either dying or reaching a site of grace 🤣, as I’d had it stuck in my head that bailing without quitting properly would lose progress

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Oh, when did it start doing that 🤦‍♂️…I’ve always played until either dying or reaching a site of grace 🤣, as I’d had it stuck in my head that bailing without quitting properly would lose progress

Since day one. The same is true for every FromSoft game.... I think?

Killjoy-NL

First, none is hating women.

Second, disability is a serious topic and should not be trivialized the way she does it, like a brainless silly-blonde cliché.
Disability doesn't even make sense, because there is nothing stopping parents from ignoring their kids so they can play games.

If there is any -ility parents are subjected to, it's responsibility and accountability.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think she's making that up

Dear, having to put down the controller and maybe lose the game because you have to care for your child isn't a disability. The word you're looking for is "responsibility."

Last edited:
What the fuck is up with this thread? Or with people in general.

She is 100% right. And this is not even about her, this is common sense. But some fuckers on here are just so eager to jump on witch hunts and talk shit about people that they throw common sense out the window. PLEASE, lets not be like that other site.

For those that want to learn...

Lets start with the word disability

From google: A disability is any condition of the body or mind (impairment) that makes it more difficult for the person with the condition to do certain activities (activity limitation) and interact with the world around them (participation restrictions).

then now just throw in situational before that (which in this case would also mean temporary), which a kid would fall under. So would having to get up to take a leak... hell chores you have to do.

The point of this, is simply that accessibility in game design considers these things. And as crazy as this may sound...being able to pause your game.. or anything that has a pause option for that matter, is literally there to address stuff like this. And this is something everyone has had to deal with on some level already. eg. Its why I don't play Tekken online if I am babysitting...
Disability is clearly the wrong word to use in this case. The word is thrown around so liberally its kinda absurd. You even wrote the definition and still think it's suitable? I'm confused.

Having a child is not a condition. Taking a piss, is not a condition. Having a child is (in the majority of cases) a choice. Taking a piss, is a bodily function. These are not 'conditions' end of. Now, if you had a bladder problem that caused you to need a piss a lot, or maybe diabetes that caused to piss a alot, then sure. This word is being used incorrectly wether by her in public, or behind closed doors in studio.

Now, is there a conversation to be had about wether games should allow you to pause or not? Sure. I also generally think Alannah is fantastic.

But is an inconvenience a disability in any way shape or form? Obviously not. The term refers to something valid but the term itself is incorrect and diminishes the word.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Angry What Is This GIF by Adult Swim

lol there is a disability for everything now... I'm disabled too, i had to piss and shit... it stopped me from wanking..

ai makes her look better
alanah_pearce_stable_diffusion___beach_by_animeplaces_dg1nhfg-414w-2x.jpg

Are you serious? She looks way worse in that AI photo. Plus her camel toe is like 2 inches out making it look like it could be a micro penis.

As for the topic at hand:

Adding a pause feature in most games make sense, but you can’t do that for an online MP game. I assume this sprouted from Elden ring? Even if you played in SP offline mode in those games, pausing would elevate the pressure for bosses or allow you to time dodges/parries way easier thus ruining the fights.

It isn’t a disability to need to put a controller down to tend to an important matter like a child. Would you really ignore a kid if you couldn’t find the remote to pause a movie you’re watching? No you’d let it run and get up.

As someone with some kids. I agree lol. Man get the fuck out of here with this shit. This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of in a while.

SirTerry-T

Gold Member
Ahhh. So THAT'S what the pause game option is for...

I swear, in the last twenty years humanity has collectively lost anything that resembled common sense.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
You can carry your kid and also play on one hand. If not I say you need to get good.

switch allows for that.

Yeah and as they get older multiplayer gaming awaits. I like playing my games but I wait until either the kids are in bed or at the weekend. If I play during the day they are at school. Multiplayer me and my son usually play at the weekend. My daughter wants to play sometimes so we play Mario kart, super Mario wonder or the bluey game. (She loves playing it and in happy to join the game).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Girl uses a term typically used by gaming Dev(s).
Girl gets piled on for letting us know.
She was never a Dev. She was a HR stunt hire they did for publicity. There was a post on Reddit once by someone who basically said she didn’t do anything but browse Twitter all day and they had to get an intern to write the flavor text on weapons she was hired to do.

Shifty1897

In this case, I get what she means. My friend always asks me to play multiplayer games with him and he absolutely does not understand that being the primary parent of a spastic 3 year old boy means I can only play while he's napping or sleeping because I don't want to screw him over and have to leave in the middle of a game.

No, it's not a "disability." Why is our society obsessed with using this type of victimhood language? Why can't we use the term for people who are ACTUALLY disabled? However, any single-player game that doesn't have a functional pause button is a mortal gaming sin in my opinion.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
My wife sometimes gives me blowjobs when I’m playing Call of Duty and it really messes up my reflexes sometimes.

Now I’m going to start parking in the handicap spots

Topher

Gold Member
I think she's making that up

Dear, having to put dow the controller and maybe lose the game because you have to care for your child isn't a disability. The word you're looking for is "responsibility."

I wish she was. She posted a blog link on twitter that goes into detail. It actually makes sense.....until it doesn't.

What are Situational Disabilities?​

Situational disabilities are temporary and based on a specific set of circumstances. Examples include broken limbs, environments that inhibit the senses (e.g., a loud music venue), and surgery recovery.

If we are talking about a situational disability as in recovering from surgery or a broken limb then yes, it makes sense. But a loud music venue? What idiot puts being in a bar or at a concert alongside recovering from surgery? And at this point, "situational disability" becomes a phrase that is far too broad for people to know what is being referred to. Should not shock anyone that all of this falls under the heading of "inclusivity" in order to "elevate your company's image".

"Consumers now expect organizations to promote inclusivity, so embracing accessibility is also an opportunity to elevate your company’s image. "

Top Bottom