• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

The M.O.B

*Info courtesy of Wiki, quick n dirty OP*

banner0mi3.png

alice-madness-returnslq7g.jpg
alice-madness-returns-3pjs.jpg
alice_madness_returns_4s69.png

detailskkrr.png

Developer - Spicy Horse
Publisher - Electronic Arts
Designer,Creative Director and Co-Writer - American McGee
Engine - Unreal Engine 3
Platform - Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release date -

NA June 14, 2011
EU June 16, 2011

Genre - action-adventure, platform
Mode - Single-player
Rating - ESRB: M
PEGI - 18
BBFC - 15

plotfni4.png

- Madness Returns takes place ten years after the events of its predecessor, the same amount of time between the two games' releases.[5] Alice was released from Rutledge's Insane Asylum at the end of the original game, and now lives in Victorian London under the care of a psychiatrist, where the traumatic memories of her parents' deaths in a fire continue to haunt her. Although she seemed stable for a decade, she now begins to experience previously repressed memories that indicate that the fire which claimed her parents' lives (which in the original game was seen to have been caused by a cat knocking over an oil lamp near the fireplace) may not have been as accidental as she remembered; these memories will take the form of retcons to the existing backstory. However, the stress caused by regaining these lost memories has caused her hallucinations and internal struggle to increase in severity, and she returns to Wonderland in hopes of security and comfort. Unfortunately, it has once again become warped by her growing insanity, and she must save its residents - and herself - from the evil that is taking over Wonderland and also embarks on finding the true cause of her family's mysterious deaths if she wishes to retain her
precious sanity.

mediakuo8.png

Launch Trailer
Beautiful Insanity Official Trailer
Opening
Preview 1

*These pics are taken straight from the PC version I have

Seeing all the worlds is a big part of the game imo, so I don't want to show any levels past the first chapter. The environments are extremely varied and Alice changes clothes in every level.

Artbook for this game is available on Amazon.

Tweaks for PC Version

- How to uncap the frame-rate and get 60fps
Alice Madness Returns Framerate Fix – 60 FPS Tweak
Open Alice.ini in text editor, you can find the file located here:

\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini

and Set these to your desired values for framerate boost:

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Reviews -
PC Gamer - 82/100
Giant Bomb - 4/5
GamePro - 3.5/5
Gametrailers - 7.2/10
Gamespot - 7.0/10
GameInformer - 6.75/10
Ign - 6.7/10
EuroGamer - 5/10
GAF Consensus - >7.0 at the very least

Review by Gaffer Luka
Finished the game after 13 hours with a completion rate of 96%. Very pleased. Didn't have much trouble with it overall, hell I didn't even die once in combat - not even on the final boss. I'll have to sit on it a bit to form my final impressions because it was so damn long. It's definitely not as dark or twisted as the first game, understandably so from a story perspective. The original took place within a shattered mind and the worlds were visibly fragmented and highly abstract - as much a result of technical limitation than story obviously, but it worked. Not sure which approach I prefer really. The first game was oppressive and soul-crushing in it's darkness - this one never evokes the same kind of dread and confusion, but it does make for more eye-pleasing worlds to run around in.

Complaints that immediately come to mind:
-The story and dialogue doesn't seem nearly as plentiful as it was in the original, nor was it as amusing. The only line that was really as memorable as some of the old ones was "if you're not on edge you're taking up too much space.."
Chesire cat was grossly underused and Alice is much less talkative this time.
-Could use more variety in encounter design. In the second half you're just kind of going through the motions. Doesn't stop being fun though.
-Some chapters, particularly 3 and 5, tend to drag and aren't as interesting as the others, for the most part.
-If you're boring, pretty much every fight can be won by keeping a distance and spamming the teapot.
-I've said it before, but the soundtrack just doesn't measure up to Chris Vrenna's amazing music from the first game.

Pros:
-Chapter 4 was the peak of the game's art and level design. Simply amazing from beginning to end.
-Combat is very smartly designed with a methodical pace and an easy to follow rhythm. If you try to mash your way through you will fail. You're encouraged to use all of your weapons for crowd control and AOE.
-Visually gorgeous and amazing art design. But everyone knows this. Unlock the frame rate for an orgasmic experience on PC.
-Chapter 4 is seriously fucking awesome.
-A platforming game with a focus on actual platforms and precision jumping! What a novel concept! No scripted or automatic bullshit here. Fluttering between invisible platforms feels light and effortless while combat is heavy with crushing blows that send debris and particles everywhere.
-I loved the progression of the story and how later in the game you have a hard time telling what's real anymore. They did a great job at conveying that kind of manic delusion.
-Chapter 4

I wouldn't say it's everyone's cup of tea (hurr hurr) considering how slow and methodical the pacing is, and the general lack of OHMYGODDIDYOUSEETHATWASHOLYSHITAWESOME every 10 minutes. If you're tired of AAA megabudget hyperfocus-tested 5 hour interactive movies and glorified whack-a-mole shooters, buy this. If the art style and concept alone pique your interest, you're probably the type that will adore it.

bonusmu0m.png

Original American Mcgee's Alice comes included with the PS3/360 versions of the game. For PC, you must buy the complete collection off Origin to obtain it.

Explanation on how to access it is below courtesy of fernoca.

fernoca said:
Regarding how to obtain the original Alice; from what has been posted:

Xbox 360-PlayStation 3
A code is included in new copies of the game (used, if you're lucky :p). This code is labeled as an online pass. You redeem this online pass through the game menu/marketplace and it let's download the original game through the Madness Returns menu.

Once downloaded, the original game is recognized as (basically) downloadable content to Madness Returns. That means that only through (and with) Madness Returns you can access the original game.

There are 6 achievements to earn and tied to the Madness Returns achievements. That also means that if you plan on getting all the achievements/trophies for Madness Returns, you have to play and finish the original game too.

(So at the moment, you can't buy the original game as a separate game and play.)​

PC
You get it by buying the 'Complete Collection' from EA's Origin store, you get both games for the same price ($49.99); for a limited time [1]. Each is a separate download and can be played independently from each other [2].

Regular versions of Madness Returns on retail, Steam and other services; don't include the original game.

1: Salsashark added that this is no longer available to purchase.
2: Zefah added that to access the original of the Complete Collection, you still need to do it through the Madness Returns menu
.​

K.Sabot

Wondering where this was.

I really want to play this, despite the press, because I really enjoyed the first game even though people say that game was trashy.

Also, it's absolutely gauuugeousssss

Yuripaw

Banned
Glad to see one of these was made. I was tempted to do it myself, but I was worried I'd do a bad job cuz I've never made one before.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
I'm really enjoying it so far, the combat is straight up 100% Ocarina of Time lock-on sword/dodge, but the environments look amazing.

Lijik

Bought this today on origin (I was gonna hold out on steam, but I realized I also wanted to finally play the Mirrors Edge DLC and didnt want to have a service just for one game), can't wait to play it later tonight!

DryvBy

I recently replayed the original. I loved it. It holds a certain charm to it, if you like weird level designs.

I'm trying to get out of work soon so I can open my copy of this and DNF. What a nostalgic week!

e_i

DryvBy2 said:
I recently replayed the original. I loved it. It holds a certain charm to it, if you like weird level designs.

I'm trying to get out of work soon so I can open my copy of this and DNF. What a nostalgic week!

Yeah...two old games getting sequels in the same week. Wow.

Lijik

Totobeni said:
This one is the most subtle, and for that reason out of all of the crazyass hair animation magic I've seen in this game, it impresses me the most. Can't believe how well they've pulled it off.

Salsa

quoting myself from an old thread:

SalsaShark said:
After seeing those gtx560 videos im pretty sure this game has the best use of Physx so far.

chest-dual.jpg

ground-dual.jpg

jump-dual.jpg

oil-dual.jpg

Cant wait.

Looks better IN MOTION

As far as particles go this is the best looking game ever made

Been thinking about buying this for my girlfriend since she's a huge Alice In Wonderland fan. She has a short temper with difficult games, so is this going to be a problem for her? She just played Lego Pirates and had to look up walkthroughs online several times to get out of tough spots. By the end it was more of a chore than anything.

Salsa

derFeef said:
Wait, no crazy hair without hardware PhysX?

Im sure its there to the consoles point, probably crazier with PhysX or something, lol.

That shot of her in the air seems to be jumping on one side and falling on the other.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
derFeef said:

Amazing hair is in the console versions and (edit) PC no need for PhysX hardware.

Lijik said:
This one is the most subtle, and for that reason out of all of the crazyass hair animation magic I've seen in this game, it impresses me the most. Can't believe how well they've pulled it off.

Lets hope other developer copy this awesome hair tech/physics in the future.

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
Im sure its there to the consoles point, probably crazier with PhysX or something, lol.

That shot of her in the air seems to be jumping on one side and falling on the other.
Misleading shot then? And I am sure you can render some leafs without it....
The hair even is in the console versions. Bullshit PhysX stuff, I hate it.

The M.O.B

Warning for PC guys, game seems to be capped at 30fps. My fps won't go higher than 30 but it does drop below it. :/

Oh and I actually tried PhysX on High despite having an AMD GPU, the results were expected.

At one point when fighting multiple enemies with tons of particles flying off them, my fps dropped to 10fps......

After you turn it off , it's really disappointing to see half of the particles are completely gone.

Persona7

Banned
So the only way you can play the original game is by having a copy of Madness Returns?

I wonder if this method actually works or if they are missing out on some revenue by not having it as a standalone.

I will start playing this tonight most likely.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
e_i said:
Yeah...two old games getting sequels in the same week. Wow.
Not only that, but it's 2 games I never ever thought would get sequels at all. On the same day. It's totally surreal.

derFeef said:
No PhysX card here, in-game PhysX set to low and the hair looks incredible.

derFeef

The M.O.B said:
Warning for PC guys, game seems to be capped at 30fps. My fps won't go higher than 30 but it does drop below it. :/

Oh and I actually tried PhysX on High despite having an AMD GPU, the results were expected.

At one point when fighting multiple enemies with tons of particles flying off them, my fps dropped to 10fps......

After you turn it off , it's really disappointing to see half of the particles are completely gone.
Thanks, that seals it. Ridiculous.

Salsa

The M.O.B said:
Warning for PC guys, game seems to be capped at 30fps.

boohoo

hope there's an unlocker

and as far as the hair thing goes; all the console footage of the game ive seen looks like the PC version with PhysX off, would be dumb to make an exception just for the hair.

edit:

luka said:
No PhysX card here, in-game PhysX set to low and the hair looks incredible.

there you go

derFeef said:
Thanks, that seals it. Ridiculous.

Well, when you turn a feature on and then off its obviously gonna be disappointing considering you already know what the game looks like with it on. Im sure its fine from the beggining if you play it without comparing it. Game looks great either way.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Totobeni said:
Amazing hair is in the console versions.
I guess a modern computer CPUs just aren't enough to handle all the crazy hair PhysX™. Makes me wonder how Red Faction and Battlefield can keep a steady 60fps on an i7 even with fully destructible environments.

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
Well, when you turn a feature on and then off its obviously gonna be disappointing considering you already know what the game looks like with it on. Im sure its fine from the beggining if you play it without comparing it. Game looks great either way.
Not if those effects are in the console version, without physx. The nice leafs for example.

Dizzy-4U

The M.O.B said:
Warning for PC guys, game seems to be capped at 30fps.
What? Isn't this Unreal Engine 3? My PC can max out this game so easily :(

Will wait for an unlocker (and Steam version).

Ricker

Nice,I`ll repost my early impressions here from the other thread,anyway,rented the game and played for about 1 hour and a half and I think it`s pretty good so far...graphics are detailed,the textures on the 360 aren`t that great though,looks a little muddy but the fighting is ok so far,atmosphere is pretty eerie at times,a little exploration is nice,the mechanic to shrink to see clues to gather collectables is nice(love the hiccups hehe),shooting snouts to reveal paths is also a nice idea...I had a few problems in the platforming but that was mainly because I was trying some harder jumps and floats to reach a well placed memory,it was totally skipable.

Played more now and it`s still fun,getting a little harder now as well,even on normal...there`s something i`m not quite sure how it works though,maybe some of you know...when you shrink and see some of the hidden paths in blue,you can`t jump though to reach some of them when small, and there`s been one instance where they where moving platforms...it was almost impossible to navigate...how do you jump while shrunk so you can see the hidden platforms??

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The M.O.B said:
Yeah I definitely noticed that. Seems to be another Dead Space situation.

I'm looking through the inis to find something.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SalsaShark said:
no reason for it to be on consoles and not on PC

I thought it was exclusive feature in PC version to PhysX cards or some shit like that, I edited my post after luka's comment on that.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Totobeni said:
I thought it was exclusive feature in PC version to PhysX cards or some shit like that, I edited my post after luka's comment on that.
I don't know for sure. There are 3 PhysX settings: high, medium, and low. There is no straight "off." I'm going to muck around with them a bit. I'm guessing console settings are around medium.

MNC

I so want to play this. Game looks great, but I want to try the original first since, y'know, it's a sequel and all.

The M.O.B

I should clarify that that PhysX is always on, Low, Medium,High.

PhysX High
alicemadnessreturns201qjac.png

PhysX Low
alicemadnessreturns2012kf1.png

......yeah, the particles are the only real difference. Cloth and hair physics are still there on low.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
If you have a good cpu and no physx card, medium is the way to go. I get a few hitches on my C2D 3.5GHz, but otherwise running identical to low. You don't get the fancy liquid or smoke from the looks of it, but all the debris and particles are there.

DryvBy

MNC said:
I so want to play this. Game looks great, but I want to try the original first since, y'know, it's a sequel and all.

The game comes with the original. So now's your chance!

DryvBy

MNC said:
Ack! Is it on steam or anything?

Not yet from what I hear. I think it's on whatever EA sells their DD on. I got mine on PS3 so my wife could watch me play through both. :)

Plus, the original is like $40 alone in the states still.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Can anyone confirm whether you get a voucher for the HD version of the original Alice or not when you buy the retail PC version, or do you have to buy it as a DD off the EA store to get HD Alice?

OP says all console AND PC versions come with the original game, but..I just bought the PC version and..there's nothing. No code to get it on PC or anything.

Why? :(

The M.O.B

Combichristoffersen said:
Can anyone confirm whether you get a voucher for the HD version of the original Alice or not when you buy the retail PC version, or do you have to buy it as a DD off the EA store to get HD Alice?

So far, No.

I got the reail PC version, so far no luck. My copy came with no voucher or anything.

I emailed customer service to see if I get anything but we shall see.

The only way to get the orginal is to buy the complete collection off Origin.

The stupid part is that there isn't even a way to buy the original separately like you can on PSN/XBLA.

Ajemsuhgao said:
OP says all console AND PC versions come with the original game, but..I just bought the PC version and..there's nothing. No code to get it on PC or anything.

Why? :(

Sorry :( From what I originally read it sounded like all platforms would get it.

The M.O.B said:
So far, No.

I got the reail PC version, so far no luck. My copy came with no voucher or anything.

I emailed customer service to see if I get anything but we shall see.

The only way to get the orginal is to buy the complete collection off Origin.

The stupid part is that there isn't even a way to buy the original separately like you can on PSN/XBLA.

Pretty shitty that retail PC copies get shafted like this. :\

Top Bottom