• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

fernoca

From what I remember, only the console versions included the online pass which unlocks the download for the original game.

On the PC-side of things, only the ones bought through the Complete Collection for $49.99 through the EA Store/Origin included the original game too. Regular retail (PC) copies bought outside those "stores" doesn't. If you preordered you got a soundtrack though.

Wow what the fuck EA. I know your manuals have been shrinking over the last few years, but opening this one up, and it's officially "Manual included on disc"

Fuck.

OG Alice is downloading NOW!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
CronosBlade said:
Wow what the fuck EA. I know your manuals have been shrinking over the last few years, but opening this one up, and it's officially "Manual included on disc"

Fuck.

OG Alice is downloading NOW!

I saw this too and was kind of like :/ I love large full color manuals, and this time it was like "Oh... a slip of paper that tells me I can look on the disc. Thaaanks?" Of course I've noticed manuals progressively becoming more and more pathetic (both lacking color and size) but ugh... my boyfriend said when he saw it, 'Wow, they couldn't even afford to make the slip telling you about the manual in color?"

Also, total dick move making the original Alice add-on only.

But I'm downloading it now and then eventually will get to playing both sometime today!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
luka said:
If you have a good cpu and no physx card, medium is the way to go. I get a few hitches on my C2D 3.5GHz, but otherwise running identical to low. You don't get the fancy liquid or smoke from the looks of it, but all the debris and particles are there.
Maybe I spoke too soon. Some of the areas are huge with loads of debris and particles all over the screen, coupled with dozens of enemies that shatter and liquefy it's starting to do a number on my machine at medium physx. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lissar said:
I saw this too and was kind of like :/ I love large full color manuals, and this time it was like "Oh... a slip of paper that tells me I can look on the disc. Thaaanks?" Of course I've noticed manuals progressively becoming more and more pathetic (both lacking color and size) but ugh... my boyfriend said when he saw it, 'Wow, they couldn't even afford to make the slip telling you about the manual in color?"

Also, total dick move making the original Alice add-on only.

But I'm downloading it now and then eventually will get to playing both sometime today!
Well, if the manual on the disc is large and full color I'd say it's a net improvement.

Grisby

1Jiza.gif

Picked Alice up along with Child of Eden. Gonna dig into this tonight.

Also, I echo the sentiment of the manual. I felt kinda empty opening the case and just seeing two slips of paper.

Grisby said:
Picked Alice up along with Child of Eden. Gonna dig into this tonight.

Also, I echo the sentiment of the manual. I felt kinda empty opening the case and just seeing two slips of paper.

At least you got two slips of paper! Retail PC version comes with one, and the disc :(

Lissar

Reluctant Member
SapientWolf said:
Well, if the manual on the disc is large and full color I'd say it's a net improvement.

Haha, I guess that's a good point. I just love books though, so being able to flip through it is enjoyable to me (I especially love it when they include character art... they don't do that anymore either.) I guess I shouldn't complain too much. At least there is a manual at all and they don't just let the in-game tutorial handle it all.

The M.O.B

Lissar said:
Haha, I guess that's a good point. I just love books though, so being able to flip through it is enjoyable to me (I especially love it when they include character art... they don't do that anymore either.) I guess I shouldn't complain too much. At least there is a manual at all and they don't just let the in-game tutorial handle it all.

Get the Artbook, you will not regret it. It is a bit expensive but very high quality.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Lissar said:
Already own it! Good thing too, seems impossible to get now.
I had the book in my cart a few weeks ago but for some reason I never went through with it. Now Amazon is saying it could be anywhere from late July to early September before I get it. :(

Despera

Banned
awwh... that PhysX thingy is only fully compatible with nVidia cards.

Guess I'll go with the PS3 or 360 version, whichever performs better.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
luka said:
I had the book in my cart a few weeks ago but for some reason I never went through with it. Now Amazon is saying it could be anywhere from late July to early September before I get it. :(

My boyfriend tried buying it too, a little bit after it came out. They keep moving up the date of when it's supposed to ship. They also offered me $40 to sell back my copy. So yeah, it's hard to say when/if they'll get more copies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game looks gorgeous! Everything from the scenery to sexy Alice. I heard the game is pretty lengthy, as well. Apparently it took about seven or so 15+ minute YouTube videos just for a chapter 1 walkthrough.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Hey guys, saw this in another forum:

"here's how to change the max FPS to 60, give it a try

documents/my games/alice madness returns/config

open 'aliceEngine' with notepad

look for MaxSmoothedFrameRateand change it to 60"

Somnid

Well this sucks, the installer gets to Installing Direct X and hangs. Seriously when did the basics of software become so difficult?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
loganclaws said:
Hey guys, saw this in another forum:

"here's how to change the max FPS to 60, give it a try

documents/my games/alice madness returns/config

open 'aliceEngine' with notepad

look for MaxSmoothedFrameRateand change it to 60"
Thanks!

The M.O.B

Somnid said:
Well this sucks, the installer gets to Installing Direct X and hangs. Seriously when did the basics of software become so difficult?
Mine stuck there for a good 5 minutes, stick with it unless it stops responding.

Somnid

The M.O.B said:
Mine stuck there for a good 5 minutes, stick with it unless it stops responding.

15 minutes later it's at copying new files. I can't tell if the bar is stuck or I'm just getting 1% every 5 minutes.

anyone else have this problem with the PC version? as soon as they give me control of the game, the camera wont stop spinning, and it only accepts input from mouse/keyboard, not from the gamepad i have plugged in.

edit: nevermind, fixed it. it was using the input from the flightstick i have plugged in :lol

jhawk6

I just finished Chapter 1 and I have to say that I'm impressed so far. I love this art style and the story presentation so far has been top notch.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm really loving this game! It's so beautiful and so much fun to explore all the areas. The only thing that has been bothering me is being suddenly blocked off from previous areas. It always seems to be like, "Oh, what's through this door?" Then I go through the door and find I can't go back the other way (even though there was another area I wanted to explore.) That's really my only gripe so far though.

Well this game was definitely not on my radar. I've only played a little bit of the first game years ago. This looks very interesting, so I'll keep an eye on it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
B-Dex said:
Anyone tried the Original Alice yet on PC?
Did they add "modern" resolutions to it?
It's a quake 3 engine game that can run at any resolution your monitor supports. It can even play in widescreen with a quick config edit.

I didn't get a download voucher with my copy but I already own the old 2 disc version. It's probably the same.

Never played the original but the fact that the original does come with purchasing this game and the launch trailer got me hyped I'm thinking of getting it. So what should I expect in terms of gameplay, length, etc.

Jubbly said:
NVIDIA's got an article online looking at PhysX on vs. off, and other stuff: http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/physx-in-alice-madness-returns

(Click for uber res)

Regardless of the game's quality, it's probably the best PhysX showcase yet, and based on the 560 article from a while back it appears to run pretty well even on the worst mid-range gpus.
for anyone that's interested, it doesn't seem that Alice works with a hybrid physx configuration, so ATi owners are out of luck even if they have a secondary nvidia gpu.

at least, i seem to get the same performance hit eitherway. could just by that my secondary gpu isn't enough horsepower anymore.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
dreamfall said:
Wait, I'm wondering about the original Alice on consoles. Anyone try it yet? Does it play well?

I played it for a little while before jumping into the newer one. I thought it played pretty decently, but I never played the original release. The only issue I had (and won't be an issue for... most people I would think) is that my PS3 is Japanese (so X and O are switched), but controller buttons on the prompts remains as though it was still on a US console (and I like my buttons being that way so I've never looked into changing them. Normally button prompts change automatically to what I'm set up for.) It's just a little weird and I have to remember to press O when they say X. Otherwise I'd say the game looks pretty good from what I've played of it.

JohngPR said:
Has anyone the pre-ordered from Amazon been able to get the EA site to work to DL the soundtrack?

I had no problems at all access the site or the download (even found out I had an EA account... I don't ever recall making one.)

Getting this from Gamefly tomorrow, I really have to try before I buy. I have been hearing its a difficult platformer, which is not my cup of tea usually.

d58e7

I'm having a weird issue with this game on Ps3, I try to load it and the screen goes blank almost looks like it's disabling the hdmi.

luka said:

I did the same thing. Had the game and artbook in cart but, I'm broke so I'll have to wait on both unfortunately. For now I'll have to just dream about pretty hair. :(

Anerythristic said:
I have been hearing its a difficult platformer.

I sure hope it is. Because, that is my cup of tea and the biscuits as long as the PC version lets me use a controller.

Top Bottom