• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

The PS3 version has a 20-30 minute install. The original game is a 950Mb add on download and is only accessible from the in-game menu, not the xmb.

:-/

Grisby

Played for about an hour and made it to the
Mad Hatters
. The game feels good on all accounts. I'm digging the combat and the graphics are very colorful.

I also couldn't stop
shrinking myself just for the fun of it, over and over.

I'm not sure I'm following the story too well. Was Alice insane in the original? Like how she talked and stuff? Because shes playing up the madness bit pretty well here.

Having a lot of fun. Only thing that bugs me is the pop in.

Grisby said:
Played for about an hour and made it to the
Mad Hatters
. The game feels good on all accounts. I'm digging the combat and the graphics are very colorful.

I also couldn't stop
shrinking myself just for the fun of it, over and over.

I'm not sure I'm following the story too well. Was Alice insane in the original? Like how she talked and stuff? Because shes playing up the madness bit pretty well here.

Having a lot of fun. Only thing that bugs me is the pop in.

Yes...yes she was.

Grisby

Ajemsuhgao said:
Yes...yes she was.

I mean, I know the whole deal is that she is insane. I had just wondered if there was a moment where she was normal or something. Mostly, I'm just talking about her 'particular' vernacular.

Also, DAT HAIR.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished the first chapter. Seems like it's going to be a rather long game (apparently the critics hate that?). Really love the feel of combat, works well even with a kb+m, and the game looks astonishing - especially once you unlock the framerate. Platforming was moderately simple in the first chapter and secrets weren't too hard to find. Hopefully it gets a lot harder.

And yes, dat hair. I can't stop staring at it whenever I'm in a windy area.

The M.O.B

luka said:
Finished the first chapter. Seems like it's going to be a rather long game (apparently the critics hate that?). Really love the feel of combat, works well even with a kb+m, and the game looks astonishing - especially once you unlock the framerate. Platforming was moderately simple in the first chapter and secrets weren't too hard to find. Hopefully it gets a lot harder.

And yes, dat hair. I can't stop staring at it whenever I'm in a windy area.

LOL when I got to that area in the sky, I just say there and spun the camera around, amazing to see her hair flow across her face.

Oh and apparently the critics hated that the game was repetitive as it went on. I have yet to complete even chapter 1 so I can't speak to that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is the Alice 'remake' on 360 a LE thing or an Online Pass esque thing? I do want to buy this, but the whole 'EA dropping their games to 40 for a week a month after' makes me want to wait

Daigoro

glad to hear some positive impressions. i thought things were looking pretty negative pre-release, but this game looks so cool, i want it to be good.

On the consoles, the game will include the original American Mcgee's Alice for Free with purchase. "Those who do not have the code can purchase the game through Madness Returns' main menu for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox Live or $9.99 on PlayStation Network."

yeah wait, so this isnt making sense.

if you buy the game you get the code, so why would you need to buy the original title through the new games main menu if you already have the code?

anyone know if the original available on Live seperately?

dreamfall

TheWiicast said:
The PS3 version has a 20-30 minute install. The original game is a 950Mb add on download and is only accessible from the in-game menu, not the xmb.

:-/

So I can't just pay $10 to play the old game without owning the new one?! That makes me so sad! :(

JohngPR

Lissar said:
I had no problems at all access the site or the download (even found out I had an EA account... I don't ever recall making one.)

Thanks. It worked this time around. Earlier I tried it a few times in the span of 30 minutes and the URL didn't come up as one that existed.

I just tried it and it came up no problem. Only 9 songs eh? Well, It's better than nothing I guess.

:p

njean777

Really enjoying the game so far, just got to chapter 2. Its a bit wonky in areas, but I love the world, and the dark twist thrown on it. Have it on ps3 btw and it runs just fine, bit of pop in due to Unreal engine but other then that, its a gorgeous game.

The M.O.B

Daigoro said:
glad to hear some positive impressions. i thought things were looking pretty negative pre-release, but this game looks so cool, i want it to be good.

if you buy the game you get the code, so why would you need to buy the original title through the new games main menu if you already have the code?

If you buy the game used you won't have the code.

fernoca

Daigoro said:

Probably for used-buyers, second hand, etc.
It is labeled as an "online pass" that lets you unlock that download. Then again, you can buy online passes alone, but still need the actual game to use them anyway. So at the moment, there's no information if it will be released as a separate download.

The achievements/trophies for the original game are also listed along the rest of the sequel (6 achievements/trophies); so at the moment that confirms that it won't be released by separate.

Zeal

Banned
grabbed it on 360 and greatly enjoying it. the visuals are completely incredible and the gameplay is fun and addicting.

i swear, i think reviewers nowadays are smoking crack and i have learned to trust only word of mouth.

AcciDante

I forgot to take the 360 version of my gamefly Q when they sent me the PS3, so it looks like I'll have both come in the mail tomorrow. Is either version superior? I don't really have a preference either way.

njean777

Zeal said:
grabbed it on 360 and greatly enjoying it. the visuals are completely incredible and the gameplay is fun and addicting.

i swear, i think reviewers nowadays are smoking crack and i have learned to trust only word of mouth.

Joystiq gave it a decent rating, of course for certain games I really could care less for reviews. This is one of them.

What sold me on it was Giantbombs quicklook ,or preview where they showed the game.

Daigoro

fernoca said:
Probably for used-buyers, second hand, etc.
It is labeled as an "online pass" that lets you unlock that download. Then again, you can buy online passes alone, but still need the actual game to use them anyway. So at the moment, there's no information if it will be released as a separate download.

The achievements/trophies for the original game are also listed along the rest of the sequel (6 achievements/trophies); so at the moment that confirms that it won't be released by separate.

that makes sense. i didnt know the original wasnt being released seperately.

i didnt realize the achievements were tied in with the new game. thats kind of odd.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
dak1dsk1 said:
Is the original Alice on the actual Xbox360 or PS3 disc, or do you get a download code?

You get a download code so you can get it for free, but rather than being a separate application you have to download it as an add-on to the game. No buying it if you don't already have the newest game, in other words. It only launches through the in-game menu.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Lissar said:
You get a download code so you can get it for free, but rather than being a separate application you have to download it as an add-on to the game. No buying it if you don't already have the newest game, in other words. It only launches through the in-game menu.
Thanks for the reply. This system seems like a confusing bunch of hassle. Worst I heard of yet. I'll skip and hunt down the original Alice for PC.

Volcynika

Well a friend owed me money and I had hoped I would get the game on Steam, but it's not on there. So I was looking to see if he could gift it to me on Origin so I could just get the complete pack. Well there's no way to gift directly on Origin at this time. Blah. So he just gifted it to me on D2D, installing now...

I guess I can only try the original Alice (have it somewhere at home) by getting the PS3 version or something, since I can't purchase it and play it without the sequel.

I would really love to get this game when I have money, but I'm not sure whether to get the PS3 or PC version. Are there any glaring negatives for either version?

PS3 has comfy couch, analog controllers (that I don't have to set up), free game, and I enjoy playing games more on there anyway.
PC has better graphics including PhysX. But it's not on Steam...

...I guess Portal 2 really spoiled me. :(

Lijik

Why would you do that? said:
I would really love to get this game when I have money, but I'm not sure whether to get the PS3 or PC version. Are there any glaring negatives for either version?

PS3 has comfy couch, analog controllers (that I don't have to set up), free game, and I enjoy playing games more on there anyway.
PC has better graphics including PhysX. But it's not on Steam...

...I guess Portal 2 really spoiled me. :(
I believe if you get the game on the Origin service before the 17th you get a downloadable copy of the first Alice.

Lijik said:
I believe if you get the game on the Origin service before the 17th you get a downloadable copy of the first Alice.
I don't have money now, though. So I'd miss out on the free game.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, because I didn't really like the first game when I played it a while back.

Really loving it so far, wow. That first opening bit was awesome. I'd love a game set in that time period, etc. Fucking beautiful game if nothing else.

Lime

Is it possible to register a retail copy of the PC version on Origin, so that you get the complete collection?

The M.O.B

Lime said:
Is it possible to register a retail copy of the PC version on Origin, so that you get the complete collection?

I doubted, EA is really giving us the short end of the stick with trying every way to force this Origin crap on us.

The M.O.B

Impressions after 2:30 of playtime. I'm just now starting chapter 2.

Broke into the 2 main parts to this game

Art/Graphics
+ Wonderful style to the environments and characters, they made things look as ugly as they wanted or as beautiful as they wanted, nothing looks like anything else you have seen before.
+ Lots of variety in the environments, you won't spend more than 20-30 minutes in one same looking place, as soon as you start to feel the environments are feeling the same, the game transports you to a brand new environment with new enemies, new mechanics and new clothes.
+ Dat Hair, no really the hair in this game is the best I have seen. It flows naturally using physics. Especially impressive when the wind starts blowing her hair all around.
+ Alice gets new clothes in each chapter. The game doesn't really give a reason as to why she keeps changing clothes but it is very pleasing to see Alice in different clothes each time.

- The textures can be pretty bad at times, stretched, blurry and even tiled wrong in some instances.
- A bit too bloomed out in some areas, Alice's face becomes one giant glowing pale thing sometimes.

Exploration/Fighting

+ Lots of secret areas out of the way to find.
+ The jumping is fine, though some may find it annoying that Alice will not grab ledges.
+ Fighting is great, many weapons and different abilities to use. Dodging enemies and countering is very satisfying. All the weapons have nice impact to them so you really feel like you laying down some pain. And every 20 minutes the game seems to introduce a new enemy with different tactics to defeating it. Fighting is always enjoyable and sometimes it even gets tough, i admit I have come close to dying many many times.
+ Upgradeable weapons gives you plenty incentive to collecting all them dang molars, when you upgrade weapons the look of them changes too, it's the little things that I appreciate :p.
+ Thankfully switching into shrink mode is instant, so it never becomes a chore to quickly look around to see if you missed anything.

+/- Platforming is quite easy, perhaps too easy, I might have died once or twice so far. Maybe later in the game it gets harder.

- Invisible barriers, a bit too many of these. You find a hole that you think you can shrink into but instead run into an invisible barrier :/
- Too many switches, I wouldn't doubt it if there was over 30 switches in chapter 1 alone.

ced

I remember loving the original Alice, and I'm really enjoying this. I'm really happy with the combat, platforming is as expected. Be interesting to see if it holds up till the end if there is not much more variety.

Lime said:
i had my fingers crossed that this would be the case, but it seems not to be. you HAVE to register your game on Origin to play it for the record, but doing so doesn't get you the first game anywhere that i can see.

Ricker

Grisby said:
Also, DAT HAIR.

And that hiccup hehe...on to chapter 2 now and it`s still great,this game is awesome,I have no problems so far with the platforming,gameplay is good for those section(and it`s mostly all of the game so far) and the atmosphere is still eerie and all.Fighting is good also,in one section I thought I was playing a mini Ninja Gaiden section ;P ....pleasantly surprised so far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I wish the retail PC version would also include Alice HD. I want Alice HD for PC, but I don't want to buy the game as DD, as physical copies are always superior to DD to me. Dammit EA.

AEREC

I have some Amazon credit, if I buy this on Amazon's download service can I attach it to EA's origin store using the key?

XeroSauce

God damnit, I was looking forward to this game, but the distribution shit that EA pulled sucks. I'd rather have retail then Origin/DD.

I might crack soon. I have a thing for crazies.

XeroSauce said:
God damnit, I was looking forward to this game, but the distribution shit that EA pulled sucks. I'd rather have retail then Origin/DD.

I might crack soon. I have a thing for crazies.

why that? only a piece of paper in there. normally I am same, like to have a box and a nice color manual. but no manual in this case.

looks like u can buy gamersgate or amazon for $5 off

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
i-cPTP5rv-L.jpg

AEREC

How is performance on the PC?

Ive got a:

Win7 x64
i7-870 @ 2.9ghz
8GB Ram
GTX 460 1GB
9800 GT as the physX card

If I can constantly keep it above 30fps I would be happy.

Lime

Fuck, I'm thinking about getting the game, but I don't want to support EA's anti-competitive behaviour. Why do you make it so hard for me to give you money, EA?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
AEREC said:
How is performance on the PC?

Ive got a:

Win7 x64
i7-870 @ 2.9ghz
8GB Ram
GTX 460 1GB
9800 GT as the physX card

If I can constantly keep it above 30fps I would be happy.
Locked at 30 I heard.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Lime said:
Fuck, I'm thinking about getting the game, but I don't want to support EA's anti-competitive behaviour. Why do you make it so hard for me to give you money, EA?
If it's any consolation, whether or not you buy Alice won't have any effect on EA policy. I'd get it and chalk it up to necessary evil.

autobzooty said:
anyone else have this problem with the PC version? as soon as they give me control of the game, the camera wont stop spinning, and it only accepts input from mouse/keyboard, not from the gamepad i have plugged in.

edit: nevermind, fixed it. it was using the input from the flightstick i have plugged in :lol

Same shit as Dead Space and Dead Space 2. Doesn't EA learn from their mistakes? :-/

Top Bottom