• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anticitizen One said:
I would thank John Richotello and management of ea for giving an obscure ten year old franchise another chance. McGee and his team are very talented they should be making the AAA games of tomorrow not shovel ware for Facebook.

This, I can't believe McGee signed with Popcap, and after playing Madness Return, I don't want to see Spicy Horse wasting their talents and time with Browser games or iphone crap, I just Hope this game sells well and McGee and his studio get another chance and money to do another console game.

bluerei said:
Sooo many probs on the PC side. Especially with key binds overlapping the default key setup, items not working, and random freezes. I'm only 2 levels in. Uggh.

You're the first to have any problems in this thread.

The M.O.B

Sorry to hear your troubles bluerei, it seems like there is always someone who is just unlucky.
:(

I was fortunately able to complete the game with only a single crashed that happened near the end of the 4th chapter.

Jerk said:
Do I still get the nice effects on a non-NVIDIA card?
Try setting the PhysX on Medium. That way you get all the particle physics but no fluids. If your framerate drops too much for you to enjoy the game, then you may have to set it on Low.

I set it on Medium and it's working like a charm, as long as I don't overuse the Hobby Horse.

@bluerei: Random freezes? I encountered exactly none so far. I had a few graphical glitches and environmental collision errors, where Alice would just stand there doing nothing until I made her jump, but aside from that the game works perfectly finde for me.

Still partway through Chapter 2. I dislike
underwater levels
in practicaly every game I ever played. But at least the
shoot'em up section
was pretty fun though :D

Got to Chapter 4 tonight.

Looooved the 2D sections in the paintings. Very nice.
Some of the fights are getting fucking HARD. A fight with a colossus and those goddamned wasps that paralyze you... ugh. It's just crazy. Can't even begin to think how they'll be on Hard or Nightmare.

one other note:

I wish I had a joint or two to puff on throughout this game.

Lime

In chapter 5: The
screws in the surgery room
is probably one of the most disturbing moments I have experienced in recent years.

disappeared said:
Got to Chapter 4 tonight.

one other note:

I wish I had a joint or two to puff on throughout this game.
You shouldn't wish. You should act.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Ok, so after seeing many Witcher-GAF post here I finally decided to join the party. :p

I tried to play Alice..uhh..1 ? and it was really unplayable. :lol
I know the characters of Alice, well I don't remember ALL of them :p But I know the friends and foes at least. Do I really have to play the first one to completion -_- ?

Lime

Yurt said:
Ok, so after seeing many Witcher-GAF post here I finally decided to join the party. :p

I tried to play Alice..uhh..1 ? and it was really unplayable. :lol
I know the characters of Alice, well I don't remember ALL of them :p But I know the friends and foes at least. Do I really have to play the first one to completion -_- ?

You can just settle for the story recap in the menu of Alice 2 under Extras. Or the visual storybook app on Apple's app store.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lime said:
You can just settle for the story recap in the menu of Alice 2 under Extras. Or the visual storybook app on Apple's app store.

Oh I didn't know they added a story recap in the menu! Nice!

nightside

played a couple of hours yesterday, really liking it. awesome art style.

I really need to buy a 360 pad for my pc since the kb+m controls don't feel really natural for me.

John said:
^^ that physx video was really fun to watch.

how're people on gtx260's handling physx? can you play with it on medium?

This is what I expected from PhysX... when it was announced like 4 years ago. Funny how long we had to wait for first game that does it right (Mirror's Edge was too little, UT3 only had some special levels etc.).

Having a dumb moment...

I had a couple of quid in my PSN account so bought the weapon / dress DLC on impluse... but can't seem to figure out where you use the items in the game? I go to 'weapons' the options but all it lets me do is upgrade the grinder and vorpal blade?

Lime

NinjaFusion said:
Having a dumb moment...

I had a couple of quid in my PSN account so bought the weapon / dress DLC on impluse... but can't seem to figure out where you use the items in the game? I go to 'weapons' the options but all it lets me do is upgrade the grinder and vorpal blade?

"Equip" in the main menu

Bmul

Neo Member
Is it me or do the PhysX effects like, for example, the sludge look really.... bad.

It's nice to see it finally being utilised to some degree and hopefully a sign of things to come, but some of the effects it produces simply don't look good.

Riposte

Just started playing. Got a knife with one simple 3-hit combo and nothing else and eventually a gun. Does combat get more interesting than this? (dodge seems overpowered too)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Riposte said:
Just started playing. Got a knife with one simple 3-hit combo and nothing else and eventually a gun. Does combat get more interesting than this? (dodge seems overpowered too)
Yes, you're barely beyond the tutorial.

I have not read through this thread for fear of spoilers (not everyone uses the spoiler tag), but can anyone quickly tell me if the EU console versions come with the original Alice DLC, or whether that was just NA?

Mush

kurtrussell said:
I have not read through this thread for fear of spoilers (not everyone uses the spoiler tag), but can anyone quickly tell me if the EU console versions come with the original Alice DLC, or whether that was just NA?
I'm pretty sure they do, yes.

Bmul said:
Is it me or do the PhysX effects like, for example, the sludge look really.... bad.

It's nice to see it finally being utilised to some degree and hopefully a sign of things to come, but some of the effects it produces simply don't look good.
i like the way the effects look. i don't think there's anything wrong with them from a technical perspective, but i can see people prefering the look of the game with them off from an aesthetic point of view, and i can fully understand anyone who prefers the extra frames over them.

Dave1988

NinjaFusion said:
There's no equip on the main menu and the in game menu has

Weapons
Memories
Configuration
Restart
Main menu

Under weapons I can only spend teeth?

Press Square on the Main Menu or whatever the X360/PC equivalent of square is.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
EA and Sony are still shit and incompetent.

Translated from Danish:
Hi

I've called both EA and PlayStation support (the expensive Nordisk Film Hotline)

EA told me PlayStation has problems with their servers, and they can't get the game up just yet. I did get a new code from EA which I should enter. This code didn't work, and I'll call them back now (their line is almost always busy, so I'll write again when I've gotten an answer.

And now for the bad news: Like I said, I called PlayStation support. The customer service rep gave me quite a shock. He asked for my code for Alice, which I then gave him. To my big surprise he told me the code wasn't valid in neither Denmark, Sweden or Norway!!! He tells me it might be an error on the publisher's part. At first he thought it was because I had imported the game. but it was bought at GameStop in Denmark..

It seems to be a big error. But I'm getting nervous. We haven't gotten the Alice: Madness Returns DLC yet. Might it be that we won't get American McGee's Alice either?

EDIT: It seems we have received codes for the UK. I tried the code on a UK account on my PS3, and it's currently downloading. Praise be. So I'll finally be able to play it. But it's still a problem that we've gotten wrong codes... I still haven't been able to get hold of EA, the line's always busty there...

Fuck both of you, EA and Sony. But mostly Sony.

I made a UK PSN account on my PS3, and the code worked like a charm, So Alice 1 is downloading ATM. What the Hell is that for a cock-up, EA?

Ricker

Riposte said:

They introduce most of the ennemies slowly,one or 2 at a time at first,then gradually raise them...there`s one spot kinda early where I died for the first time in the game because it was so easy until then that I played loosely and it`s from there on that you really need to start using the dodge and switch weapons etc...was watching my nephew play last evening and he died at the same place but beat it on the second try...there`s also a room similar to this in chapter 2 with a new type of ennemy plus a wave of all the others that is a blast to play and very satifying...so yes,it gets much better =)

Varna

Bmul said:

I don't think it looks bad. It kind of stands out a bit though. Almost like it doesn't fit with the style of the rest of the game.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Heads-up for anyone, like me, who had no idea the OST's been on iTunes since May. It has!

Card Castles In The Sky = not-at-all-manly tears.

Combichristoffersen said:
EA and Sony are still shit and incompetent.

Translated from Danish:

Fuck both of you, EA and Sony. But mostly Sony.

I made a UK PSN account on my PS3, and the code worked like a charm, So Alice 1 is downloading ATM. What the Hell is that for a cock-up, EA?

Why Sony? It's the publisher's error, and that's EA.

Anyway, is this game good or not? I'm not asking whether this is "solid" or "fun" or "if you look past this and this and this you might be able to enjoy it", just a straight up yes or no non-bullshit answer.

Combichristoffersen

MalboroRed said:

Anyway, is this game good or not? I'm not asking whether this is "solid" or "fun" or "if you look past this and this and this you might be able to enjoy it", just a straight up yes or no non-bullshit answer.

Because sony haven't even put up Alice 1 or the Madness Returns DLC on the Scandinavian store, it seems. So both EA and Sony have fucked up here :p

And yeah, the game is very good.

ymmv

Banned
MalboroRed said:

The fault also lies with the Danish shop who sold a UK game. There have been similar cases in the Netherlands where shops were importing and selling UK games and then got complaints from customers because DLC from the Dutch PSN store didn't work with a UK game.

The situation could be rectified if Sony made it law there were no arbitrary country limits for downloadable content anymore. I've also been burned by buying DLC from the US store for a Euro game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm thinking about picking this up on the 360. Is it horribly gimped compared to the PC version? Any difference between the 360 and PS3?

Ricker

What`s the way to kill those tall guys with multiple little heads on them that sometimes run after you and grab you...I killed a few before but at the end of Chapter 3,or close to the end,where
there`s that giant frog in the room with one of those tall guys and a few samurai flying things
,it just doesn`t seem to want to go down....I stopped for now before I rage quit lol.

frequency

Ricker said:
What`s the way to kill those tall guys with multiple little heads on them that sometimes run after you and grab you...I killed a few before but at the end of Chapter 3,or close to the end,where
there`s that giant frog in the room with one of those tall guys and a few samurai flying things
,it just doesn`t seem to want to go down....I stopped for now before I rage quit lol.
Spoiler-tagged just in case.
After you shoot all the faces, it starts spewing fire at you. You shoot the big face on top. I had a lot of trouble in that particular room as well. After killing all the wasps, I cheated it by standing at the top of the broken stairs (where it can't reach you) and shooting it with the teapot thingy.

Ricker said:
spoilered strategy on fighting Colossal Ruin for anyone that wants to work it out for themselves.

when they run after you, you want to release the lock on them, and use your dodge to stop them grabbing you. their bodies show china faces at times, and you want to destroy those. generally i pepper the faces. once it spits out the flame pipes, you want to switch to the teapot cannon, wait for the flames to start, teapot it in the big face, and then go and hack up the big face when it's stunned. should only take a couple of goes hacking up the big face.

Ceebs

Ricker said:
Once you get it to the part where it starts chasing you with fire pouring out just jump up on the stairs to the right side of the room. When it stops spewing fire it drops it's head. Go down and whack it until it starts up again with the fire. Repeat that a time or two and it will die.

Combichristoffersen

GuardianE said:
I'm thinking about picking this up on the 360. Is it horribly gimped compared to the PC version? Any difference between the 360 and PS3?

The 360 version has some ground texture layer or something in the first chapter that the PS3 lacks, but it's such a small detail it really doesn't affect the game in any way. It's fine on both consoles, really.

Nishastra

Banned
Ricker said:
Just stay away from it and fire ranged weapons most of the time.

If it's going to try to grab you, keep dodging until it gives up.

If it's about to start using its flamethrower, get far away and hit it with the teapot cannon as soon as the flames start. It'll be stunned and a big face will come out near the ground, which you can stab up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Combichristoffersen said:
The 360 version has some ground texture layer or something in the first chapter that the PS3 lacks, but it's such a small detail it really doesn't affect the game in any way. It's fine on both consoles, really.

Alright, great. Thanks!

Ricker

Okay thanks for the tips guys...been kinda doing all that but it just won`t go down...the stair trick for that room in particular might help though hehe...

Top Bottom