• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Corky said:
Bought, thanks.

Going into a game knowing it has certain flaws will sometimes aid my enjoyment, or so I've found.

Check back through the thread for PC performance tips, particularly editing the .ini file to turn off the 30FPS lock. I went with the PS3 ver, but I'll pick up the PC version for the visual showcase when I get a new rig.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
D2M15 said:
Check back through the thread for PC performance tips, particularly editing the .ini file to turn off the 30FPS lock. I went with the PS3 ver, but I'll pick up the PC version for the visual showcase when I get a new rig.

Yeah I'm slowly backtracking in the thread. Frankly when a game has this kind of outrageous ( see : amazing ) art-direction in this day and age I can overlook some flaws and still hold the game in high regard.

JRW

TheExodu5 said:
Let's just say that even with 2x GTX 570, I never turn PhysX on in games because it just doesn't perform all that well. If I get Alice, I'm going to have to at least try it though, because it looks pretty awesome. I foresee myself turning it off anyways to maintain 60fps.

Im only running a single GTX 480 (i7 920 @ 3.6ghz) and get away with PhysX on High @ 1920x1080 the only downside is it drops into the 30fps range randomly (60fps set in alice .ini) but it looks much better with it on vs. Low so I decided to just live with it. Ive been meaning to try it without Vsync that might help balance out the framerate a bit.

psykomyko

I tried this game out at a friends house. Really cool game.

Aesthetically, it is a gorgeous game. Nothing amazing in the gameplay department, but its sufficient for the game. I still will probably wait for a price drop though since I am tight on cash.

the chris

How is this game on replayability? I was thinking of getting Shadows of the Damned, but I heard that game is pretty short with seemingly little replayability and was thinking about getting this instead.

Blair

Banned
Game looks incredible on PC and plays great with the dualshock. Increased the max fps from 30 to 45.

Platforming is great, love how the game controls. The combat is also suprisingly good. Only played a couple hours, can't wait to dig in again tonight.

Nishastra

Banned
Beat it. Missed plenty, though.

The story dresses gain special qualities once you've beaten the game. Ouch at the Royal Suit, though. Limits your health to 4 roses.

That sounds... unpleasant. I suppose if you want to prove that you're completely insane, you could play through the game on Nightmare wearing that dress :p

Tokubetsu

JohngPR said:
Did they really cut it?
I thought it was an artistic choice. I thought it was pretty cool how it was a non-boss fight, it added a little twist.

I thought it was cool too.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
OP isn't very helpful. Is this game pretty good then? Is it a pure level based shooter/slasher, or a little more involved than that with decent puzzles or with action adventure style variety, or does it have a continuous world with some backtracking Metroid style, or what?

The M.O.B

Alextended said:
OP isn't very helpful. Is this game pretty good then? Is it a pure level based shooter/slasher, or a little more involved than that with decent puzzles or with action adventure style variety, or does it have a continuous world with some backtracking Metroid style, or what?

The general consensus here is that yes it is good. It is a level based third person platformer with combat,with plenty of puzzles and lots of variety in the environments. No backtracking, the game is linear but with plenty of opportunities to go off the path to earn collectibles.

ymmv

Banned
I completely overlooked the Alice game but after seeing the hair gifs this game suddenly appeared on my radar. Looks cool. Gonna have to pick it up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ellis Kim said:
Wait, what?

Alice in Wonderland: An X-Rated Musical Fantasy.

Alextended said:

There are many impressions in this thread, just read some pages.

Finished the first chapter. Other than the cop out ending, it's been pretty awesome. Combat's keeping me on my toes, but then I'm playing on Nightmare for some reason.

tenz0r

I plan on getting this game after I finish Infamous 2, but Between the 360 and PS3 version, which one should I get?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
tenz0r said:
I plan on getting this game after I finish Infamous 2, but Between the 360 and PS3 version, which one should I get?

From what I heard they are almost the same, so go with the console that has your favorite controller.

ToyBroker

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
bought the weapons and dresses pack and now i wish i had started the game on the hardest difficulty lol.

LoL, same here. I think I might just make this game my first platinum though. I'm loving it THAT much.

The dresses and weapons in the DLC are so god damn awesome looking.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dave1988 said:
Yup, redeemed American McGee's Alice yesterday without any problems.

Dammit, I've tried redeeming my code, and purchasing Alice 1 HD through Alice: Madness Returns, but neither option works. For some reason it seems like the game isn't up on the EU store >_>

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the feeling of finding secrets in this game is so good

Rez said:

Some of the jumps getting to keyholes are downright tricky. So far in Chapter 3 some secret spots give you beautiful overlooks of the world. There was one where the color scheme changed and Alice was just a black shadow amongst a view of total white. It looked so good.

pakkit said:
Can a brother get some screenshots?

Alice is the first game I've played that I wish supported the PS3's photo capture mode. There have been times that I've positioned the camera just right, put the controller down, and taken a few minutes to appreciate in the beauty.

eshwaaz

You guys are killing me. Between the positive impressions here and Ryan Davis' review, I'm on the verge of ignoring the negative reviews and picking this up. It sounds like an experience I'd really enjoy.

Unfortunately, the last poorly reviewed game GAF convinced me to buy was Two Worlds 2, and I ended up thinking that game was a clunky, unrefined mess.

Grisby

Rez said:

I'm missing so many though (I think) and I hate that.

The one secret achievement in ch3 was pretty neat.
Finding the special Spicy Horse logo whilst shrunk.

Grisby said:
I'm missing so many though (I think) and I hate that.

The one secret achievement in ch3 was pretty neat.
Finding the special Spicy Horse logo whilst shrunk.

I honestly thought when this game said it had secret areas, "okay, they'll all be easy to find." Fuck no. I've seemingly scoured the levels and I'm still missing a shitload of stuff.

AppleMIX

eshwaaz said:
You guys are killing me. Between the positive impressions here and Ryan Davis' review, I'm on the verge of ignoring the negative reviews and picking this up. It sounds like an experience I'd really enjoy.

Unfortunately, the last poorly reviewed game GAF convinced me to buy was Two Worlds 2, and I ended up thinking that game was a clunky, unrefined mess.

If you makes you feel any better, I thought the Two Worlds 2 was garbage and Alice is pretty fucking amazing.

Tokubetsu said:
They start getting really sneaky with the snouts too.

Do they ever. :(

I mean, those sonsabitches start going invisible! With no way to really hear them because they're off in midair some place!

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Chiggs

Gold Member
I really wish I had purchased this instead of Red Faction: Armageddon.

Between this and inFAMOUS 2 - what's the call?

Combichristoffersen

Chiggs said:

inFamous 1 was decent enough, and I guess the sequel is more of the same, but Alice is so so so so good.

Buy Alice.

Edit: Anyone else who've been able to get Alice 1 off the EU store, or are Sony just slow and terrible as usual, and haven't put it up in Europe?

Chiggs said:
I really wish I had purchased this instead of Red Faction: Armageddon.

Put it this way, I hate most video games these days. Hate them. In my opinion so many of them are riddled with poor design choices, uninspired art direction, bad voice acting, sloppy HUDs, shoehorned-in multiplayer, and downright boring game play.

But Alice... is something else entirely. I'm firmly convinced we won't see another game like this for a long, long time. It really is something special.

I personally want to shake the hands of the staff involved in making this game, simply because they took a huge chance with a game like this.

leng jai

I hope chapter 2 is the weakest one in the game, still going through and its pretty long and tedious. Some of the art was kind of bland.

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 at the moment and loving every minute of it.

Alice's VA sounds very familiar to me. Was she the same VA that did Zoe from Dreamfall?

She sounds a lot like Lara croft in the newer games. She also did alice's voice in the first game.

I had no idea the cat is the same voice actor. This time he sounds almost completely different. The old voice sounded like Anthony Hopkins but this ne is much deeper

Joe Molotov

Just made it to the Mysterious East. Pretty good stuff.

disappeared said:
I personally want to shake the hands of the staff involved in making this game, simply because they took a huge chance with a game like this.

I want to buy the artbook, which is something I never do.

eshwaaz said:

If it makes any difference, this game is refined and generally technically solid. The controls are really great too.

iammeiam

Beat the game. Enjoyed it, but I do think it would have been top-tier quality if they'd gone with twice as many chapters at half the length. While each chapter has a defined end goal (find and talk to person X), the journey to get there can often feel plodding since you rarely really know how far along you've progressed in a chapter and since they go on for hours and hours they really can feel aimless after a while. Especially when they resort to reusing the chapter gimmick--I didn't so much mind Chapter 3's
2D Platformer
, but the stupid
Doll Head slide course thing
in chapter 5 was aggravating and felt like padding. Since the aesthetic is a huge part of why the game works, I'm guessing reviews would have been more forgiving of the same-y gameplay if the visuals changed more often.

Chapter 4 was pretty much perfect, though--it felt about the right length, moved you through things in a way that made sense, didn't over-rely on the
Giant Alice
it used as its unique gameplay bit, and just completely worked.

I actually really appreciated the story, too. It was unobtrusive for the most part, mostly made sense at the end, and explained why the
doll-headed Ruins
were everywhere.

eshwaaz said:

Yeah, GAF burned me on that too. What a fuckin' turd that was. But rest easy, Alice is solid. The reviewers got it all wrong and I'm not sure why.

disappeared said:
Put it this way, I hate most video games these days. Hate them. In my opinion so many of them are riddled with poor design choices, uninspired art direction, bad voice acting, sloppy HUDs, shoehorned-in multiplayer, and downright boring game play.

But Alice... is something else entirely. I'm firmly convinced we won't see another game like this for a long, long time. It really is something special.

I like this quote.

Combichristoffersen

Seems like the Alice 1 code not working on the EU store is a common problem, and apparently EA don't know why it doesn't work, and seemingly recommended customers to wait for June 22nd. So it seems Sony fudged up the PSN release of Alice 1. Good job, Sony!

disappeared said:

I would thank John Richotello and management of ea for giving an obscure ten year old franchise another chance. McGee and his team are very talented they should be making the AAA games of tomorrow not shovel ware for Facebook.

Top Bottom