• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

amdnv

John said:
how're people on gtx260's handling physx? can you play with it on medium?
I'd like to know this too. If medium is possible, I might buy right away. If not I'll wait until I have a new system.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
nightside said:
ok...sorry but i really don't want to read all the thread, so i'll just ask:

I LOVED the first one and still think it's one of the most overlooked games ever, how much are the chances that i would love this one too if i buy it?

The first Alice was darker than the sequel, but otherwise the sequel is an overall major improvement. So if you liked the first game, you should like this too

StevePharma said:
Started this game on Nightmare difficulty....bad choice :D

Checkpointing during platform sections is really forgiving but sometimes not. I've spend a while on a battle with a lot of enemies and had to redo a specific platform section everytime when I died. Since enemies two hit kill you most of the time in can get frustrating if you're still learning the game mechanics.

I will soldier on though, the game is just fun to play
when you screw up platforming you don't actually 'die', you just butterfly back to the last 'safe' area, so generally the start of that platform string.

if you actually die in a fight, you go back to whenever it last saved, which is quite regularly much further back than that. it definately punishes you more for dying in combat, but you'll get the hang of it i think. dodge.

the only fight that had me pulling out my hair, so far, was the fourth shell in the second chapter. it's an optional fight, but it really kicked my ass.

Dave1988

Found a neat little Easter Egg in chapter 4.

After the third time (IIRC) the Executioner chases after you, you end up in an enderground cavern. In that cavern you can find a keyhole door which leads you to a breakable floor tile. After you break the tile, you can go down and collect a bottle. Sitting beside the bottle are the remains of Raz from Psychonauts, goggles and all. Oh, and he's doing his trademark pose, too. Nice little homage.

I did chapter 2 yesterday. AMR has that 7-8 rating material for me, definitely not a superb game, it has glaring pace issues for instance, but it's still very enjoyable, a special 7 game rather than what I like to call a "homework done" or a "check list" 8 or 9 game.

edit: regarding PhysX, I've got two OCed 480s and still have the same drops that most people are getting (down to 30fps with smoke).

TheExodu5

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
I wanna play it...

Can anyone who's playing on AMD please comment on how it looks without it? Or if they can run it with PHYS X on low? I think I read that her hair still moves right? That's a big part of it for me... cause that's cool.

Hearing about how cool the story is really tempts me... I want to play it - the spooky weirdness really makes me wanna play!

Let's just say that even with 2x GTX 570, I never turn PhysX on in games because it just doesn't perform all that well. If I get Alice, I'm going to have to at least try it though, because it looks pretty awesome. I foresee myself turning it off anyways to maintain 60fps.

Erebus

TheExodu5 said:
Let's just say that even with 2x GTX 570, I never turn PhysX on in games because it just doesn't perform all that well. If I get Alice, I'm going to have to at least try it though, because it looks pretty awesome. I foresee myself turning it off anyways to maintain 60fps.
I run the game with a GTX 460 1GB and have PhysX turned on at High using my old 8800GTS, yet the game runs at 60fps most of the time. The only time it drops below that is during combat when things get really chaotic. However, I'm not even sure if the culprit here is the PhysX as someone said that AA takes a hit on performance so I might try to turn off AA next time and see what happens.

JohngPR

I like that the float mechanic in this game takes some skill to use. You better have a plan before you float because its movement is limited and it will punish you for indecision.

It's comparable to the roadie run in Gears of War in that going anyway but forward with it is tricky. You can make up for it by timing the use of it correctly and that's where the skill (and IMO fun) comes into play.

TheExodu5 said:

That sounds borderline psychotic. And a waste of 2 excellent cards, considering you could get 60fps with physx on low on a shitty 8800 or 9800 probably.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
with a single gtx 460 oc, what can i expect ?

TheExodu5

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
That sounds borderline psychotic. And a waste of 2 excellent cards, considering you could get 60fps with physx on low on a shitty 8800 or 9800 probably.

Like I said, Mirror's Edge couldn't manage 60fps. On the first level, with PhysX on, I'd get around 55fps. If I dedicated one card to PhysX, it actually got worse at around 45-50fps. GPU usage on both cards was well below 100%. Some cloth physics and flying glass isn't worth going below 60fps, IMO. It seems clear to me that PhysX is just kind of broken. If one GTX 570 can run the game at well over 60fps, then you'd think a GTX 570 + another dedicated to PhysX would maintain that 60fps...but no, you'd be wrong.

I've never like the PhysX additions anyways. Alice is the first game that looks significantly better with PhysX on, IMO. When I get it, I'll see what configuration works best and what kind of framerate I can get. If I go below 60fps, PhysX will be taking a hit.

DryvBy

Did anyone buy that $1.99 DLC? I did, but I have no idea how to access the 6 new dresses. Any idea how?

Varna

DarkUSS said:
I run the game with a GTX 460 1GB and have PhysX turned on at High using my old 8800GTS, yet the game runs at 60fps most of the time. The only time it drops below that is during combat when things get really chaotic. However, I'm not even sure if the culprit here is the PhysX as someone said that AA takes a hit on performance so I might try to turn off AA next time and see what happens.

It's PhysX. Just unload the pepper grinder and the smoke will just rape your performance. This happens on any system. Even those during a 580gtx and a 460 or higher for physX.

PhysX is just traditionally like that. Always takes a huge chunk of performance. For example in Batman AA my frames average 140 but but during the the heavy physx segments it drops to 60. Over a 50% loss!

Grisby

Dave1988 said:
Found a neat little Easter Egg in chapter 4.

After the third time (IIRC) the Executioner chases after you, you end up in an enderground cavern. In that cavern you can find a keyhole door which leads you to a breakable floor tile. After you break the tile, you can go down and collect a bottle. Sitting beside the bottle are the remains of Raz from Psychonauts, goggles and all. Oh, and he's doing his trademark pose, too. Nice little homage.

That was out of the blue. Cool.

Game was reminding me I need to play that game, >>. Sitting on my shelf.

Ceebs

amdnv said:
I'd like to know this too. If medium is possible, I might buy right away. If not I'll wait until I have a new system.
Friend of mine is running it fine maxed out and PhysX on medium with an i7+260. He said High destroys it though.

DryvBy2 said:
Did anyone buy that $1.99 DLC? I did, but I have no idea how to access the 6 new dresses. Any idea how?
on the main menu screen with all the options you should see an Equip option. it lets you change to any dress you've unlocked (by finishing a chapter) and to change into the DLC dresses.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is medium just missing the smoke and liquid effects? I find those to be very overdone and distracting from the videos I've seen. I'd rather play with them off.

I like the butterfly/petal flutters and the ambient particle effects the most.

Ceebs said:
Friend of mine is running it fine maxed out and PhysX on medium with an i7+260. He said High destroys it though.
i like Phys X. it's definately the limiting factor here if you have it on high. i'm running at 1080p in 3D with physx on high (i have a dedicated physX card, nothing special, just a 9800 GTX, but it seems to do fine with everything so far.

so, sure, i drop down near to 30 fps at times, but for all those bells and whistles? i'm alright with that, espescially given that the console games are locked at 30.

just know that Alice has vsync forced on in the ini file. either force tripple buffering or turn it off if you don't mind tearing.

TheExodu5 said:
Is medium just missing the smoke and liquid effects? I find those to be very overdone and distracting from the videos I've seen. I'd rather play with them off.

I like the butterfly/petal flutters and the ambient particle effects the most.
yes. medium has all the particle effects and none of the fluid effects.

I woke up thinking about this game and can't wait to play some more. It's so good.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
For those who have completed this, how long did it take you? Is there much else to unlock, collect etc.? I really wanna play it, but I might wait for a price drop. :/

I haven't completed it yet but if you have the money there is no reason to wait. This is a fantastic game and worth every hard earned cent. Support the developers so that we can have Alice 3!

nightside said:
I LOVED the first one and still think it's one of the most overlooked games ever, how much are the chances that i would love this one too if i buy it?

There is a 100% chance that you will love this game. Buy, buy, buy!

TheExodu5

Banned
plagiarize said:
i have a dedicated physX card, nothing special, just a 9800 GTX, but it seems to do fine with everything so far.

What's funny is that the 9800GTX is pretty much the upper limit for PhysX cards. Getting faster cards doesn't seem to help performance at all.

plagiarize said:

Glad to hear it.

Dizzy-4U

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 at the moment and loving every minute of it.

Alice's VA sounds very familiar to me. Was she the same VA that did Zoe from Dreamfall?

XeroSauce

plagiarize said:
i like Phys X. it's definately the limiting factor here if you have it on high. i'm running at 1080p in 3D with physx on high (i have a dedicated physX card, nothing special, just a 9800 GTX, but it seems to do fine with everything so far.

so, sure, i drop down near to 30 fps at times, but for all those bells and whistles? i'm alright with that, espescially given that the console games are locked at 30.

just know that Alice has vsync forced on in the ini file. either force tripple buffering or turn it off if you don't mind tearing.

I'm playing on Low and I still have butterflies and petals?

Maybe I'm missing more then I thought because the game started up as Low so I left it like that (4800 Radeon ATI card).

Grisby

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 at the moment and loving every minute of it.

Alice's VA sounds very familiar to me. Was she the same VA that did Zoe from Dreamfall?

I was trying to place her voice. Maybe?

Is it the same VA who did the original Alice as well?

Grisby said:

There were rumors that it's the same Alice (Susie Brann) and Cheshire Cat (Roger L. Jackson), but they don't sound the same to me.

Susie hasn't done any other games according to IMDB.

Grisby said:

Yes. This was from an interview with American Mcgee:

American Mcgee said:
We were also fortunate enough to have Chris Vrenna re-join for some of the music, Susie Brann and Roger Jackson for the voices of Alice, the Cheshire Cat and Mad Hatter (among others) . . .

Moaradin

Sweet. Finally a game that I can use my PhysX card for. I've been longing for a platformer forever also. Can't remember the last time I played one.

I can't wait to rage as I fail a jump once more.

Dizzy-4U

LocoMrPollock said:
There were rumors that it's the same Alice (Susie Brann) and Cheshire Cat (Roger L. Jackson), but they don't sound the same to me.

Susie hasn't done any other games according to IMDB.
Well, I watched the credits and both of them are listed there.

XeroSauce said:
I'm playing on Low and I still have butterflies and petals?

Maybe I'm missing more then I thought because the game started up as Low so I left it like that (4800 Radeon ATI card).
You get less butterflies and petals, and they just drop slowly down instead of interacting with the environment and any wind or what have you.

It looks really nice IMHO and I'm really glad I found out how to get physx working on my hybrid setup.

DryvBy2 said:
There is an "Equip" option in the Main Menu of the game. From there you can access the DLC costumes and weapons.

Can't change them in-game though.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
And done on Nightmare. My opinion of the game has been fittingly manic depressive, which is weird since I love bad games, and only sometimes tolerate perfect ones. It's a shame that it's so uneven - the missing boss fight(s), the brevity of Chapter 4, the narrative hiccups, even the text errors - since in a game leaning so heavily on a glorious aesthetic they're even more noticeable than usual. It has far better platforming mechanics (especially the PS2 Shinobi-esque jump-dash, which is sadly underutilised) than it has level design. Combat peaks in a Radula Room in Chapter 2 and from there on you can just cheese it, especially post-Teapot Cannon. And, endgame spoilers,
the final stretch and payoff manage somehow to both take too long and feel incredibly rushed.

But it's a real platformer, one where you feel your platforming skills develop over the course of the game, and that makes replay - well, I wouldn't say 'a breeze', but faster. And there are dozens of moments that will stick with me forever, where a lot of objectively better games only manage one or two.

So though Metacritic has probably been a deathknell for the series, I look forward to Alice: Madness Uses Another Verb in 2022. Maybe R.J. Berg could do a new Faery Tale Adventure in the meantime.

XeroSauce

plagiarize said:
You get less butterflies and petals, and they just drop slowly down instead of interacting with the environment and any wind or what have you.

It looks really nice IMHO and I'm really glad I found out how to get physx working on my hybrid setup.

Fuuuuuck. Guess I'm missing out a lot. :(

In Chapter 2, just started,
are you supposed to miss all that teeth on the slide/on high up platforms you can't jump to etc.?
The collector in me is getting ansty at all that stuff I'm missing.

MrTroubleMaker said:
Strange bug, but ..
There is a work around to stop that. Play a custom soundtrack before you boot to the game (either from the HDD or a memory stick). The music will turn off at the logos but will turn back on at the title screen. The disc should not be spinning now, then just turn off your custom music.

maybe add it to the op?
Wow that actually worked, thanks also WTF why does that work ?

JonCha

I'm really tempted to buy this sometime soon with Child of Eden not seem to have great depth. I was surprised how interesting it looked.

Nishastra

Banned
XeroSauce said:
Fuuuuuck. Guess I'm missing out a lot. :(

In Chapter 2, just started,
are you supposed to miss all that teeth on the slide/on high up platforms you can't jump to etc.?
The collector in me is getting ansty at all that stuff I'm missing.
Don't worry, teeth are just for upgrading weapons. There's not some finite number of them. When you get near the end of the game, you'll probably have way more than you need to max everything out.

Mind you, all teeth are reachable, and ones on odd platforms might be pointing you towards other things, but you certainly can't get every one on a slide part :p

XeroSauce

Nishastra said:
Don't worry, teeth are just for upgrading weapons. There's not some finite number of them. When you get near the end of the game, you'll probably have way more than you need to max everything out.

Mind you, all teeth are reachable, and ones on odd platforms might be pointing you towards other things, but you certainly can't get every one on a slide part :p

They aren't finite? That makes things so much easier them scrambling around trying to get every last one.

Thanks. Chapter 2:
You're right, the two teeth on that platform had a horse-door next to them, I'll have to get it during my second playthrough.

Ricker

D2M15 said:
, the narrative hiccups, [/spoiler]

I love the hiccups ;) j/k =)

Couldn`t play for 3 days so i`ll try and beat that last rescue the soul of sailors part at the end of chapter 2(or is it 3)...the last is one is kinda hard because the first few tries you are not sure where to jump and the sequence is like on a timer since you are pushed by some clouds or something hehe

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Ricker said:
I love the hiccups ;) j/k =)

Haha. Well played.

The hiccups and the way she lets the handle spin out on the Pepper Grinder if you stop firing before it overheats are my favourite character flourishes since Bayonetta.

Acquiescence said:
Cor blimey, the last Redula room in Chapter 2 is kicking my arse mercilessly. A difficulty spike if ever I encountered one.
yeah. i'm actually relieved to hear it's the hardest combat in the game. you can do it! fight through!

at least it's optional, kind of makes the spike more excusable for me, but then i was surprised when the next radula combat room was so much easier.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I really want this game.

1) This game looks amazing, how is the general level of "polish" in the game? I'm not looking for valve levels but it would be nice to know it is consistent throughout.

2) what seems to be the general gaf-consensus about the game?

3) How is the pc-port? I'm steadily growing more and more annoyed at lazy, unoptimized, lacking polish ports.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
1 - Inconsistent, but generally the production design's above average and frequently it's astonishing. The highs mostly cover the lows.

2 - Sleeper hit, unfairly maligned for being an OK action-platform game considering we don't really get action-platformers any more.

3 - By far the superior version for performance (presumably the original version, too?) and for visuals, particularly with PhysX black magic.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
D2M15 said:
1 - Inconsistent, but generally the production design's above average and frequently it's astonishing. The highs mostly cover the lows.

2 - Sleeper hit, unfairly maligned for being an OK action-platform game considering we don't really get action-platformers any more.

3 - By far the superior version for performance (presumably the original version, too?), particularly with PhysX black magic.

Bought, thanks.

Going into a game knowing it has certain flaws will sometimes aid my enjoyment, or so I've found.

nightside

ok..downloading the game right now..can't wait to play it :)

EDIT: aaaand..it's 39.90€ on origins...while i bought it on steam...damn XD

Top Bottom