• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
DarkFlow83 said:
Just watched my g/f play this for the last week, she just now beat it. She loved it and is now trying to beat the game on nightmare. I'm not much of a platform kind of person, but the game looks interesting. All and all I would say people should at least give this game a go, it seems worth a look.

Also we have it on PS3.
Maybe your gf should be on GAF and not you -_-

Ricker

I`m stuck again...just at the start of chapter 4,after the first few jumps you go into a big square room
with all the playing cards
and at the other end there`s 2 switches on the floor...the one on the right raises a door to another room in the distance but it`s way to far to jump and float to,and the switch on the left doesn`t seem to do anything but that switch is probably the key to what i`m missing to reach that sliding door in the distance.

Ricker said:
I`m stuck again...just at the start of chapter 4,after the first few jumps you go into a big square room
and at the other end there`s 2 switches on the floor...the one on the right raises a door to another room in the distance but it`s way to far to jump and float to,and the switch on the left doesn`t seem to do anything but that switch is probably the key to what i`m missing to reach that sliding door in the distance.
shrink. the one on the left lowers a platform to reach a higher platform to take you over to the other side.
i'll let you figure out which switch you need to put a clockwork bomb on ;)

edit: or leng jai will spell it out for you step by step.

leng jai

Ricker said:

The right switch controls the door. The left switch controls the elevating platform (its hidden, shrink to reveal it). Place the bomb on the left switch first, then press the right switch to open the door. The hidden platform should be low enough for you to jump onto it now. Detonate the bomb to elevate it to the path above...voila.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rez said:
It isn't, you know, Bayonetta, but it never gets old, always feels dynamic and, despite the aforementioned, you always feel in control of the space around you.

There's some great enemy types that they keep throwing at you up until the last chapter, which helps.
American McGee's Bayonetta
Platinum Games and Hideki Kamiya present Alice

I would buy both of these games

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm when it comes to physx how does it actually work.

How does it work when you have for example a 580 and no dedicated gpu.
How does it work when you have for example a 570 and a low-range dedicated gpu?

Ricker

leng jai said:
The right switch controls the door. The left switch controls the elevating platform (its hidden, shrink to reveal it). Place the bomb on the left switch first, then press the right switch to open the door. The hidden platform should be low enough for you to jump onto it now. Detonate the bomb to elevate it to the path above...voila.

Mmmm,I don`t have enough time to make it to the other platform before the bomb on the left detonates by itself so I`don`t get the last part of your answer,detonate the bomb to elevate it to the path above...I reach the first hidden one.

leng jai

Ricker said:
Mmmm,I don`t have enough time to make it to the other platform before the bomb on the left detonates by itself so I`don`t get the last part of your answer,detonate the bomb to elevate it to the path above...I reach the first hidden one.

By putting the bomb on the switch it keeps the elevated platform as low as it can go. It only starts rising again after the bomb detonates. You only need it for the rising platform, its got nothing to do with the door on the opposite side.

Ricker

leng jai said:
By putting the bomb on the switch it keeps the elevated platform as low as it can go. It only starts rising again after the bomb detonates. You only need it for the rising platform, its got nothing to do with the door on the opposite side.

Ah ok thanks,made it after countless tries hehe...

Corky said:
Hmm when it comes to physx how does it actually work.

How does it work when you have for example a 580 and no dedicated gpu.
How does it work when you have for example a 570 and a low-range dedicated gpu?
no one has really done any major benchmarking like this, but Physxinfo have some comments on performance and some suggested tweaks to even out the lower framedrops.

http://physxinfo.com/news/5883/gpu-physx-in-alice-madness-returns/

Nekrono

So I've played about an hour (according to my save) and I LOVE this game!

- The platforming is great and very old school which I particularly appreciate nowadays.

- The combat so far is very solid, attacking feels good and I like that Zelda-like type of camera/lock-on the game has also they nailed it with the dodge/teleport it feels great and I personally use it a lot.

I know it's still very early but I'm definitely liking what I'm playing so far, I have high hopes for the rest of the game and it's definitely delivering, probably sleeper hit of the year for me unless the game takes a nose dive and/or a better game comes along.

I'm a bit bummed about having to give up on Physx though, I'm running AMD and had it at medium but man after getting the pepper gun I was having some serious framerate drops as low as 8 FPS and they weren't just spikes the whole scene hovered around that for a long time so I had to turn it back to low, I sure miss some effects like when you jump or falling particles in some places but I have to admit that running Physx on low gives me 60 FPS steady everywhere and it feels good!

I just wish they wouldn't have used Physx on some really basic stuff that adds so much to the game.

Rez said:
It isn't, you know, Bayonetta, but it never gets old, always feels dynamic and, despite the aforementioned, you always feel in control of the space around you.

There's some great enemy types that they keep throwing at you up until the last chapter, which helps.

It isn't Bayonetta, but It also isn't a combo-based action game. It's less about knowing which combo to use and when, and more so about knowing which item to use on which enemy, the deliberate sequence of events needed to make that enemy vulnerable, processing audio and visual cues to know when to dodge or break focus from one enemy to the next, and reforming your tactical approach to adhere to the different enemy groupings the game throws at you.

When It all comes together, I'd say it's rather amazing.

Grisby

Wow, cheap price for all those dresses and weapons. Neat how they also each have different traits. Kinda laughable considering how much Dead Space charged.

Some of those outfits change the way Alice looks too (hair, eyes). Good stuff.

Question: Does new game+ keep all of your collectibles?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Yes. When you play through on NG+ all collectibles still appear, but only the ones you haven't previously collected have the gold or silver glow around them.

Just got to the start of Chapter 5 and...holy crap (Spoilers for Chapters 3, 4 and 5 incoming)
Chapter 3 was awesome. The Japanese touch seems kind of unfitting given the Alice in Wonderland setting, but still it kinda makes sense. Also it looks awesome. Porcelain stuff everywhere, half naked statues everywhere, japanese stuff everywhere. My background highlight were the trees made of porcelain. They looked so beautiful. Creepy stuff were the statues with insect heads. Yeah well, whatever turns Alice on, I guess. :p

The real world intermission between chapters 3 and 4 was waaaaay too short. Get out of your jail cell, get outside, KABOOM chapter 4...what? Did they run out of ideas or what?

Andway, chapter 4 was awesome as hell. Getting back to meet the Queen of Hearts again (which was the last boss of Alice 1, if I remember correctly?) was pretty cool and the whole castle looked sooooo good. Especially the introduction where everything is made of cards and the last part "inside" of the Queen were really cool.

The intermission between chapters 4 and 5 was pretty out there, holy shit. Waking up in an asylum with a straight jacket on? Why? Did I miss something? Then the wardens which turn out to be Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the "doctoring" done to Alice (drilling a hole in her head and the following result, well holy crap). The complete sequence kinda reminded me of the Scarecrow parts in Batman AA. Really creative in both narrative and gameplay (although Alice misses the gameplay part of that, the narrative still was pretty strong).

As I said, I'm at the start of chapter 5 now. This game is so good. Haven't had a game like this in a VERY long time.

My current playtime is something like 10 to 12 hours and I'm far from finished. And already I hope that there will be another sequel coming out in a few years. I really hope this game sells like hotcakes, because it deserves to sell like hotcakes.

Everyone, BUY THIS GAME!!! There is no reason at all not to buy it. So buy it. Seriously.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anerythristic said:
WOW at the start of Chapter 4. Just beautiful.

Just wait for Chapter 5, your head will get bukkakeed with awesome

And I demand American McGee's Oz by Spicy Horse ,like right now.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
A Huge Battleship said:
Possibly the least original thought to be expressed in this topic so far, but holy hell Chapter 4 is awesome.

But it's not an FPS to save America from alien terrorists and not some random stupid game by a famous Japanese director..let give it 5/10

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Totobeni said:
But it's not an FPS to save America from alien terrorists and not a some random stupid game by famous Japanese director..let give it 5/10

no mp , subtract another 12 points

:(

Kambing

I just got this game... and its BEAUTIFUL!

Playing on my PC with Physx turned on to high and i am seriously blown away by both the physic and the art style, so much character in the world. After playing with both the k+m and the xbox controller, i think i prefer the controller more, it just seems to flow better. And the graphics man, sogood.gif

Even though i am only about 1 hour in, i am really surprised at how well the developers were able to mix the figthing, platforming and exploration. They all blend so well. And it controls very nicely too.

The only con i have is that even with what i consider to be a beefy rig (4.5 ghz + gtx 570) with physx turn to high the fps can dip down to 20, which really slows things down. Is there a tweak around this? The frame drops occur when i fight the liquid enemies.

I decided to take the plunge based on the impressions in this thread and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The writing captures the spirit of Lewis Carroll far more effectively than the first game, I actually laughed out loud at "following furry animals down dark holes is quickly becoming a habit. I do hope it's not a vice." The first part isn't very Alice, but the second part is perfect so it really does capture the "Alice but grown-up" vibe.

My only complaint is the visuals but I was expecting that based off the preview media. It does look a lot better in motion because of all the PhysX and particle effects, it's just jarringly inconsistent at times. Also, I can count on one hand the number of texture seams I've seen in recent games but Alice totally breaks the curve if you catch my drift. It would definitely be substantially improved by higher resolution textures though, the major immersion killing visual issue is jumping from a platform with a really sharp texture and landing on one that looks like a puddle of vaseline.

Still, it's really fun so far and I think it would be a shame if people let the visual deficiencies turn them off the game, especially as the art is really gorgeous when it's given the chance to shine through.

JohngPR

I absolutely love how much story is being told without the game really saying much at all. Up to chapter 2 spoilers:
Seeing everyone belligerent, trying to drink their cares away and seeing how depressed everyone looks in real world London...it's a rich contrast to Alice's Wonderland. I almost can't blame her for creating this place that's way more exciting and way more interesting to live in compared to the stark reality of where she actually is.

Great, great stuff.

Ceebs

I hope none of you are overly creeped out by creepy dolls, and hairless doll heads.

That said Chapter 5 has a wonderful look to it.

Kambing said:
The only con i have is that even with what i consider to be a beefy rig (4.5 ghz + gtx 570) with physx turn to high the fps can dip down to 20, which really slows things down. Is there a tweak around this? The frame drops occur when i fight the liquid enemies.

There's a "maxsmoothedframerate" setting you can tweak in AliceEngine.ini in "\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config" change the value from 30 to 60. You can also turn off Vysnc in that file. It's probably defaulted to on, since it did for me as well, and I also have a 570.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Kambing, try this out. It was posted by plagiarize a few posts above you.

\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceGame.ini

Set:

[Engine.WorldInfo]

MaxPhysicsSubsteps=4

To perform less physics calculations per frame (default for UE3 – 5, default for Alice – 10).

Next, File:

\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini

Set:

[Engine.Engine]

PhysXGpuHeapSize=128

PhysXMeshCacheSize=16

To increase amount of GPU memory, allocated by PhysX calculations (default – 64/8).

In addition, you might also want to decrease number of rigid body chunks, produced by destructible APEX objects (but they can be found only on several game levels).

[SystemSettings]

ApexDestructionMaxChunkIslandCount=50

ApexDestructionMaxChunkIslandCountHigh=150

For PhysX Medium (default – 150) and PhysX High (default – 500) settings.

To check out if our tweaks will have any practical effect, we used a scene from the beginning of “Chapter 1 – Assemblage” level – an intense fight with “Ruins” (6-7 Malicious Ruins + 1 Menacing Ruin = a lot of SPH Fluid) using only Pepper Grinder (a lot of particles and volumetric smoke).

I've only had time to play part of Chapter 1 so far
just reached the area with the old Mock Turtle train
but I'm extremely pleased with what I'm seeing so far. It's almost criminal that platformers like this are so few and far between this gen.

Kambing

EchosMyron1 said:
There's a "maxsmoothedframerate" setting you can tweak in AliceEngine.ini in "\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config" change the value from 30 to 60. You can also turn off Vysnc in that file. It's probably defaulted to on, since it did for me as well, and I also have a 570.

Thanks a lot, i must have skimmed it in the OP. 60 FPS is oh so glorious.

Yurt said:
Kambing, try this out. It was posted by plagiarize a few posts above you.

Reading comprehension i am fail. Will definitely try this out. Thanks!

B-Dex

Maffis said:
How is this game on the ps3? Is the framerate good and such?

Yup. Silky smooth. I think there may have been a one or two times i got some dips in fps but it was random, like when smashing open containers, and not actually during any fighting/platforming.

And yes I have PC and PS3 versions...wat? (Waiting on new rig for master race playthrough)

Totobeni said:
But it's not an FPS to save America from alien terrorists and not some random stupid game by a famous Japanese director..let give it 5/10

That's the sad truth. I'm sure the storyline is a bit too mature for the average reviewer too too. This is like the equivalent of Alan Moore comics in the 80s. It's on a whole 'nother level.

AEREC

god damn...does chapter 3 ever end? Im not hating but I can see why some reviewers knocked the game for dragging on in parts.

Ceebs

For Anyone that has finished it, approximate length of chapter 6? Wondering if I have time to finish it off or if I should wait til tomorrow.

AEREC

Maffis said:
How is this game on the ps3? Is the framerate good and such?

It runs at 30fps 98% of the time with some minor image tearing up until chapter 3. Im getting alot more framerate dips in chapter 3 for some reason, mainly during combat...hopefully the rest of the game doesnt continue this trend.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm on chapter four now....

....and beginning to feel seriously bad for Platformers-GAF missing out on this gem.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 and my god, the art in this game is fucking insane. I even see a lot of the messy textures, but it doesn't stop this from being one of the most eye appealing games I've ever seen. I really like Alice's model and the different dresses she gets as well.

Papercuts said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 3 and my god, the art in this game is fucking insane. I even see a lot of the messy textures, but it doesn't stop this from being one of the most eye appealing games I've ever seen. I really like Alice's model and the different dresses she gets as well.

You haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet

iammeiam

Started a Nightmare playthrough (DLC dresses/weapons+ New Game Plus meaning I start with the full arsenal should make this manageable for me), and I have to give them some major credit for a fairly minor detail in the beginning that becomes ninety times creepier after you complete the game.

After Alice's first therapy session, as you're leaving the orphanage, there are needlepoints on the wall. I think I initially assumed they said "Home Sweet Home" on them. On replaying, I realized they said "Home Safe Home" which is unbelievably disturbing given what is being done to the children living there.

Ceebs

And done...Chapter 3 is for sure the low point of the game as once you hit chapter 4 it picks right back up and that last 1/3 has some of the best stuff in the entire game. Total playtime of 11:23 and 84% completion.

I may go back and try another difficulty once someone figures out how to edit the bonuses to the dresses (I want to play with the chapter 5 dress and the rabbit dress full time without the extras)

frequency

Chapter 3 was probably the weakest for me too.

But I didn't really feel like anything dragged on too long. I suppose you would if you sat through entire chapters at a time. It took me at least 2 sessions to complete a chapter, except for 1 and 6. I guess I'm also way more tolerant of "repetition", growing up with RPGs and all.

Ceebs

I think I did 1,2,6 in one sitting.

Oh the minigame bits of chapter 5 were god awful as well. That idea should have been cut completely. It was super tedious even though there was not much of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I Iiked the idea of the Chapter 5 minigames, it's just they were a little long.

frequency

The least enjoyable mini-game to me was the
side scrolling
stuff in Chapter 3. It looks cool and all, but didn't play very nicely.

Ceebs

ToyBroker said:
My GOTY thus far.

It's hanging around Assassins Creed Brotherhood on my list so far, so about #4-5 on my top 10.

It's a very good game if you have the patience for it.

Did anyone else find the fact that there seemed to be more EA marketing people in the credits than Spicy Horse staff amusing/sad.

Top Bottom