• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yurt said:
I'm on chapter four now....

....and beginning to feel seriously bad for Platformers-GAF missing out on this gem.

I feel bad for anyone who is missing out this game( because of bad reviews scores or anything), Alice 2 is not only a good old school 3d Platformers in the age of modern military shooters and same old same Japanese games, but game with one of the best story and storytelling in this generation, combined amazing art style and satisfying combat system and it's a unique and refreshing experiences journey ,It's imho the surprise of the year, shame that reviews put people off.

I am playing this on 360 right now and while the graphics are at times ugly, the character models and art are beautiful. The game is also a lot of fun even though at times it can get a bit repetitive, solid sequel though so far.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
XeroSauce said:
Dragging through Chapter 2. :/

I felt that 2 and 3 dragged the most out of the chapters thus far (Pretty far into chapter 5)

Chapter 4 picks up the awesome again tho, so soldier on.

Spoilers, I guess? In the most generic sense.

I did feel it was odd on how much....filler, for lack of a better word, some of the sections in chapters 2 and 3 felt like. Yeah, there was the re-introduction of characters, but it felt to me like Alice isn't really given a chance to shine in either chapter, instead, it's focusing on the uniqueness of the environments, which will eventually lose its luster.

I agree with an earlier post in the thread that if the chapters were split in two and made into different areas, many aspects of the dragging problem would disappear. Otherwise, platforming is tight, combat is fine, can't see how this is getting 5s and 6s.

canadian crowe said:
My God, playing through the first game is torture. It really hasn't aged well at all.

It was always torture. Always. Alice was about 15% amazing, inspired gaming and 85% padding. That and Scrapland really made it hard for me to take American McGee seriously for a really long time. Actually, I'm not even sure I take him seriously now.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jim-jam bongs said:
It was always torture. Always. Alice was about 15% amazing, inspired gaming and 85% padding. That and Scrapland really made it hard for me to take American McGee seriously for a really long time. Actually, I'm not even sure I take him seriously now.
I enjoyed it :(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
luka said:

It's a good game, but the combat and platforming was kinda clunky even back then. Even moreso when playing it with a controller nowadays, considering the game was designed to be played with mouse and keyboard.

luka said:

Hey I did too in parts. Same goes for Scrapland, but let's keep that between the two of us. The art was consistently great all the way through for one thing, the scene with the stacks of books teetering in the abyss still stands out. There was just too much damned filler. It says a lot when you played a game for the better part of 15 hours and can only remember a handful of levels.

CO_Andy

I like Alice 1, and i never played it until last month.

32-bit platformers haven't honestly aged that well, but i will say Alice held up better than most.

Oneself

Finally started the game (PS3 version) and I must I'm pleasantly surprised. It is just as good as I hoped it would be. Artistically, it's a tour de force. It definitely suffers from the Unreal Engine syndromes and feels a bit clunky sometimes but if you're into great old school platforming with amazing art, well, buy it.
Also, I'm near the end of chapter 1 and didn't encounter "loading at strange places". Only some "chugging" as the system streams the next part... and I guess we're used to that.

_Xenon_

Banned
OK you guys hyped me up so I ended up buying the PC version of it. WOW the art design of this game really shocked me. I finished Chapter 1 in one go and almost forgot it was already 4am. However, some technical issues really started to bother me:

1. I have some wired ass game freeze issues (I suppose it was loading?) and one time it just froze when Alice was in the mid air jumping from one platform to the other.

2. All the control related in-game tips use keyboard mappings by default even though I actually use a 360 pad. And the controller screen in the config menu didn't help all: I couldn't find which button was for the umbrella block until I found it online.

3. I really like the physX environment particles such as the flowers in the valley and the leafs around Alice when you jump but since I'm running on an ATI card, setting physX to medium just made the combat unplayable for me (mostly the pepper grinder particles and the enemy shattering effects). Is there anyway to turn off those enemy shattering effects but still keep all those cool environmental particles?

EDIT: any idea what is "EA Origin" supposed to be? I assume it's some kind of EA download manager but it didn't show anything (not even menu) when I launched it.

Pocketsfriend

Neo Member
God damn am I glad I impulse bought this the other day. Only problem is that I found out about the Alice2 store too late and a few of amazing posters are sold out. I did end up buying the artbook, vale of tears and wake up alice lithographs so I'm happy. I'm hoping that they ship the lithographs to the same standard that they use with the Mass Effect lithographs since it seems EA is using treehouse with their online merchandise stores.

Definitely in the top few visual and story experiences I've had this gen. Looking forward to playing the first one as well but I think I'll look around to get it on PC as the ps3 versions controls are pretty awkward at best.

leng jai

_Xenon_ said:
OK you guys hyped me up so I ended up buying the PC version of it. WOW the art design of this game really shocked me. I finished Chapter 1 in one go and almost forgot it was already 4am. However, some technical issues really started to bother me:

1. I have some wired ass game freeze issues (I suppose it was loading?) and one time it just froze when Alice was in the mid air jumping from one platform to the other.

2. All the control related in-game tips use keyboard mappings by default even though I actually use a 360 pad. And the controller screen in the config menu didn't help all: I couldn't find which button was for the umbrella block until I found it online.

3. I really like the physX environment particles such as the flowers in the valley and the leafs around Alice when you jump but since I'm running on an ATI card, setting physX to medium just made the combat unplayable for me (mostly the pepper grinder particles and the enemy shattering effects). Is there anyway to turn off those enemy shattering effects but still keep all those cool environmental particles?

EDIT: any idea what is "EA Origin" supposed to be? I assume it's some kind of EA download manager but it didn't show anything (not even menu) when I launched it.

I get a similar freezing issue...its like the game pauses for a second like it wants to crash but doesn't. Physx is probably a no go for ATI cards. On my GTX570 the game chugs to about 30FPS with the Pepper Grinder, but on medium it stays at 60.

Gigglepoo

It's strange that I can run The Witcher 2 on high with no problems but Alice moves in fits and starts. Oh well, it's worth putting up with some technical glitches. I'm surprised just how fun this game is.

Kambing

Totobeni said:
I feel bad for anyone who is missing out this game( because of bad reviews scores or anything), Alice 2 is not only a good old school 3d Platformers in the age of modern military shooters and same old same Japanese games, but game with one of the best story and storytelling in this generation, combined amazing art style and satisfying combat system and it's a unique and refreshing experiences journey ,It's imho the surprise of the year, shame that reviews put people off.

Mate i could not agree with you more. Alice really feels like a breath of fresh air this late (or midway for some) in the generation where many of the released games are very much samey. And the art style, man the art style. I hope enough people buy the game, i would hate to see a good game like this not sell well. This game deserves to be successful.

leng jai said:
I get a similar freezing issue...its like the game pauses for a second like it wants to crash but doesn't. Physx is probably a no go for ATI cards. On my GTX570 the game chugs to about 30FPS with the Pepper Grinder, but on medium it stays at 60.

I'm using a 570 and it stays constant, it is a EVGA superclocked version or whatever they called it, though. Did you tweak those .ini settings posted a few pages back? The maxsmoothed framerate one helps keeps things snappy throughout.

Vitor711

Anyone know how to keep the jumping effects (petals and butterflies) while disabling the rest? Can max out the game fine but the volumetric smoke is killing me.

I remember someone mentioning which values I should change in the .ini to get that effect but I've searched through the thread a couple of times and can't seem to find that post.

Just finished the game (12hr 37min 85% completion), shit's fucking awesome, buy it. I've already talked about a great many thing I think make this game great. So I'm gonna keep it fairly brief (also tired as all hell)

Chapter 4 is getting very just praise, but my personal favorite has to be Chapter 5. This is end game platforming done staggeringly well. Chapter 5 gets appropriately hardcore and I loved every minute of it.

The
rolling baby head sections
are awesome and funny, best of the main gameplay diversions for me, second place going to
Chapter 3's 2D sections
. (also it the
baby head levels
kind of remind me of Igneous despite being a lot slower)

To anyone feeling hesitant about buying this game, because of reviews or any other reason, let it be known: The art design is astounding, jumping controls are some of the best around, the combat is visceral is deep and demands a tactical approach. If you are a fan of games and/or having fun in general, I recommend it.

Love this game, surprise hit of the year for sure!

Also just finished the game. Chapter 4 is a strong contender for my favourite level in the history of everything. If all the other chapters were as brilliant this would be my game of the forever, but as it stands it's just excellent.

Despite playing on Nightmare, the Teapot Cannon still broke the combat a bit. I'm glad the Royal Suit (aka the best of the story mode outfits) is a handicap outfit, since I'll likely use it on my next playthrough when I track down the things I missed.

Fady K

CO_Andy said:
I like Alice 1, and i never played it until last month.

32-bit platformers haven't honestly aged that well, but i will say Alice held up better than most.

Interesting to know, as I plan on playing the touched up original Alice that comes with the console versions of this game.

By the way, your avatar rocks, that was such an awesome gem and I wish we get more titles like Haunting Ground.

Ken

Amazon just sent me an email giving an earlier shipping date for late June/early July for the art book, in case anyone wanted to get it from Amazon.

I don't really understand why everyone is praising Chapter 4. I just finished it and nothing about it really stood out to me. The beginning portion with the
floating houses of cards
was admittedly gorgeous, but apart from the
awesome chess puzzles
nothing else really seemed to stand out afterwards. Being
Giant Alice
was a bit of a chore and became boring very quickly.

My favourite Chapter thus far is 2. Granted, it overstayed its welcome but the whole
Tundra portion
was incredibly atmospheric and bolstered by some serene ambient music. The main bulk of the chapter too,
the underwater locales
: it was the most immersed I've been in the game yet.

leng jai

Ken said:
Amazon just sent me an email giving an earlier shipping date for late June/early July for the art book, in case anyone wanted to get it from Amazon.

Mmm wonder if that applies for my order from Amazon UK as well

A Huge Battleship said:
Also just finished the game. Chapter 4 is a strong contender for my favourite level in the history of everything. If all the other chapters were as brilliant this would be my game of the forever, but as it stands it's just excellent.

Despite playing on Nightmare, the Teapot Cannon still broke the combat a bit. I'm glad the Royal Suit (aka the best of the story mode outfits) is a handicap outfit, since I'll likely use it on my next playthrough when I track down the things I missed.

Maybe it's because it was the last thing I leveled fully, but I didn't find the Teapot Cannon all that useful past Chapter 3. In Chapter 5 especially, when
it introduces the new flying enemy flying doll-head thing. They move so quick I found myself always switching to the Pepper Grinder.
Also found it of little use against
those giant doll girls that you needed to target specific spots on then cut out the hears off
. Since most of the combat scenarios towards the end of the game involve those two enemy's, I didn't use the Teapot Cannon all that much.

On another note, people who have finished the game. What did you guys think of the ending?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Otacon said:
thanks =)
no differences at all?
sadly no DF face-off (yet)

The 360 version has some ground layer texture in the first level that the PS3 lacks, and I think the PS3 version has some sort of AA that the 360 doesn't have (but don't quote me on the last one). But these differences are so small and negligible it really doesn't matter which version you buy, the game is amazing on both consoles.

AEREC

Otacon said:
thanks =)
no differences at all?
sadly no DF face-off (yet)

I dont think we will know until there is a DF or LoT comparison. I just know that the the PS3 version has some framerate dips that are a bit annoying, they are mostly in combat and did not really appear until chapter 3 for me.

None of the technical issues have affected the platforming part of the game so far (Im towards the end of chapter 3).

frequency

The PS3 version also pauses to load/save occasionally. When I collect a memory, it pauses for a second to load the sound clip or something. I don't know if the 360 version has this, but it's a pretty minor thing. From what I can tell, it's the usual case where you should decide based on controller preference, trophies/achievements, etc, etc.

Ceebs

EchosMyron1 said:
Maybe it's because it was the last thing I leveled fully, but I didn't find the Teapot Cannon all that useful past Chapter 3. In Chapter 5 especially, when
it introduces the new flying enemy flying doll-head thing. They move so quick I found myself always switching to the Pepper Grinder.
Also found it of little use against
those giant doll girls that you needed to target specific spots on then cut out the hears off
. Since most of the combat scenarios towards the end of the game involve those two enemy's, I didn't use the Teapot Cannon all that much.

On another note, people who have finished the game. What did you guys think of the ending?
Ch. 5 enemy spoilers
Against the big dolls I used the teapot exclusively. Wait until they dashed at you then get behind, 2 shots to take out the screws then strafe around and fire like another 4 shots to kill it.

I had what is probably the same stuttering issue as others. It happened maybe once an hour or so and felt like it was a streaming issue. I have had a similar issue with other UE3 games as well. Not a huge deal as the game ran at a smooth 60 fps for like 99% of the game.

frequency

Tizoc said:
There's a DLC for Alice MR on the PS Store, is it worth getting or can I skip it?
It's just outfits and weapons with various bonuses. If you sift through this thread, you'll find details on it.

I wouldn't buy it unless you plan on playing through the game more than once.

Tizoc

frequency said:
It's just outfits and weapons with various bonuses. If you sift through this thread, you'll find details on it.

I wouldn't buy it unless you plan on playing through the game more than once.
Thanks for the info, guess I'll wait for it be sold for free or a discount.

Ceebs said:
Ch. 5 enemy spoilers
Against the big dolls I used the teapot exclusively. Wait until they dashed at you then get behind, 2 shots to take out the screws then strafe around and fire like another 4 shots to kill it.

It may have something to do with my approach but
I found those giant dolls would turn around so frequently when up close that I couldn't ever get a shot in with the Teapot because of it's arch. They also did that fire knife lunge with the vulnerability period fairly infrequently. So I almost never waited for it, only took advantage when it would happen to occur. Or if only they were left in a fight.

Still though if we're talking about the Teapot being a bit overpowered, which to be fair, I'm not sure is your point or not.
2 shots to take out the screws and 4 shots to kill
, while having manage many other enemy's with that require their own tactical approach, doesn't necessarily sound like it makes combat a cake walk.

Or at least, using it when I did,
Chapter 4, fucking up those brutish card guards' shit
I never felt that way.

JRW

Man this game just keeps getting better and I'm only just starting Chapter 3, They actually did a pretty good job with the PhysX effects as well (running it on High w/ GTX 480).

I hate to say this because I normally always go for mouse+key controls but this game just feels right with a gamepad (using a PS3 controller plugged in via USB & set to 360 emulation mode in Motionjoy version 0.6.0003)

JRW said:
Man this game just keeps getting better and I'm only just starting Chapter 3, They actually did a pretty good job with the PhysX effects as well (running it on High w/ GTX 480).

I hate to say this because I normally always go for mouse+key controls but this game just feels right with a gamepad (using a PS3 controller plugged in via USB & set to 360 emulation mode in Motionjoy.)
don't hate. lots of multiplatform games play better on PC with a pad. you aren't turning your back on the PC brotherhood to use a pad ;)

rented this from gamefly because of this thread and so far its pretty awesome (maybe about an hour or so in).

the only review i saw on this game before reading this thread was the OPM review which gave it 5/10. i don't understand that at all. i guess everyone has their own opinion but just based on the controls, art, graphics and voice acting i can't see how they give it that rating.

hopefully the momentum keeps up in the game. really surprised by it so far

Grisby

Combichristoffersen said:
I use the
teapot cannon
, but they still take forever to kill. Is there somewhere specific you have to shoot them?

Your hitting all of the faces that pop out right? The
teapot cannon has nice spread damage, which hits more faces.

Top Bottom