• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Had a proper look tonight after leaving the frustration go down a bit, turns out I could reload at the last checkpoint of chapter 4, making the amount of that part of the game that I had to replay fairly negligible. Still annoying having to begin chapter 5 over again, but I was enjoying the game enough that I'm willing to jump back into it.

Those are Wii exclusives, and unless you own a Wii, Alice really is one of the few good platformers for the HD twins/PC this gen.

That's a bit like only owning a Wii and saying "Why are there so few good FPS this generation?" though, isn't it?

linko9

Wow, I just started this game and put 8 hours in, and this topic happens to be at the top of the forum. Game looks really, really good on the ol' personal computer. Overall pretty fun, but there are some really puzzling design choices.... I hate when games force you to guess which way to go, when one way will lock you out of all the other ways you could have gone. Getting all the memories/bottles is pretty much impossible on the first go-round.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
That's a bit like only owning a Wii and saying "Why are there so few good FPS this generation?" though, isn't it?

That's true. I'm not saying there aren't good platformers this gen, just that there are very few good platformers for the HD twins, since platformers apparently don't sell on the PS360 :/

Ledsen

Just started playing this game on my new gaming comp. It's GORGEOUS! It's also an ACTUAL PLATFORMER, as in it doesn't have pre-programmer variable length jumps and it's actually possible to fail, which is extremely rare these days. Just arrived in chapter 2 and loving it so far.

Pakkidis

Just beat the game and really really enjoyed it. Artistically it was amazing, however technically the game is very hit and miss.I probably will give it a go again in a few weeks.

linko9

Just bought this from Amazon. Is there a way to disable the horrible, horrible mouse acceleration?

Well I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but I started the game with mouse and keyboard and quickly switched to a gamepad. If that's an available option for you, I'd just go with that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Too bad this doesn't activate on Steam, would have bought it from Amazon if it did. EA, you're gonna keep losing sales if you keep this nonsense up.

Maffis

Just started playing this game on my new gaming comp. It's GORGEOUS! It's also an ACTUAL PLATFORMER, as in it doesn't have pre-programmer variable length jumps and it's actually possible to fail, which is extremely rare these days. Just arrived in chapter 2 and loving it so far.

I wish I had this game on a decent PC. I've been playing it on PS3, and while artistically it looks very nice, the texture looks like ass most of the time and the framerate suffers everytime in combat.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just got this for $2.50 and so far I'm very pleased with it (still in Chapter 1 or 2, I think). The art style is excellent and the combat isn't as bad as I was expecting based on reports. It actually feels pretty good far, even though it's not super deep. Gamepad is the way to go for any third person action platformer, IMO.

mantidor

I also ended up using a game pad, while it is superior is only because of design, I do miss the variety of weapons the first Alice game had for instance, and is obvious the only reason we don't have that in Returns is because of the limitations of a pad and the focus of development on consoles instead of PC.

bs000

I just started this game on the 360 and have some problems with blurry textures. Typically in UE3 games the high quality texture pops in after a second but not here. Sometimes when I wiggle the camera I can get the texture to pop in for a split second then it goes back to being blurry. Anything I can do about it?

cj_iwakura

And finished. One heck of a trip.

I feel like the writing was so good that I couldn't entirely grasp it all on a first play.

Very poetic game.

scitek

I just started volunteering as the video guy over at Dead Pixels, which is Bloody-Disgusting's gaming section, and I did it my first piece on this game. I'm trying to focus on overlooked games, and after playing through most of it now, I like this one a good bit. It's repetitive, but if you break up play sessions and don't marathon it, it's pretty fun. I'm playing the PC version, too, so the 60fps and 1080p thing helps.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished the game. (took me around 15 hours).

Not a bad game, the mechanics were solid, it was beautiful-looking, the level design and variety of environments was pretty neat. But it felt completely off pacing-wise, it had way to much padding for it's own good, yet at the same time it felt lacking in terms of cohesion and build-up, It somewhat felt like it was missing content in between levels, like boss fights etc.

Definitely don't regret my time with it though. Wouldn't mind playing a sequel if there ever is one.

twdnewh_k

Bought this game based on Gaf recommendation a few months back, just started it last week and I am really impressed so far. How did this game not get better reviews and hype?

The worlds are creative and beautiful, the platfomring is fun, and I am really enjoying the combat.

The game can be bought real cheap now, I hope more people can experience it.

PowerK

I am considering on getting this one. However, I see that the developer (Spicy Horse Games & EA) has not released a single patch/update for this game since its release back in June 2011. What's going on ?

Combichristoffersen

I am considering on getting this one. However, I see that the developer (Spicy Horse Games & EA) has not released a single patch/update for this game since its release back in June 2011. What's going on ?

EA sent the game to die and Spicy Horse has moved on to iOS development. Besides, there's not much to patch anyway, the game is generally fine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

it's my 2011 game of the year, buy it now, it's so damn good!!And why do you care that much about patches? the game is almost bug free really ( even on consoles) it do not need any.

If you meant DLCs..well EA treated the game like shit (no marketing + they own the IP yet they put it under EA Partners program so poor Spicy Horse handled everything ) so my guess that Spicy Horse just didn't had any plans for future dlc and just wanted to release the game (Also Spicy Horse is now a iOS/Web Browser only developers -deal with Popcap- so they will not work on DLCs or any sequel for it )if that what you asked for it.

Combichristoffersen

it's my 2011 game of the year, buy it now, it's so damn good!!And why do you care that much about patches? the game is almost bug free really ( even on consoles) it do not need any.

If you meant DLCs..well EA treated the game like shit (no marketing + they own the IP yet they put it under EA Partners program so poor Spicy Horse handled everything ) so my guess that Spicy Horse just didn't had any plans for future dlc and just wanted to release the game (Also Spicy Horse is now a iOS/Web Browser only developers -deal with Popcap- so they will not work on DLCs or any sequel for it )if that what you asked for it.

They did make those DLC costumes (which I gladly bought to support Spicy Horse and the Alice IP), but other than that.. And yeah, buy the game. It's great.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yes. I think it's "mousesmoothing" in the ini files.
EVERYONE who plays this on PC should tweak the ini accordingly. 60FPS gorgeousness.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963500

Finally used this for my new run,and now that I have a dedicated card for physx, huge different,and I am not sure if it's because I played too much already or the framerate but the game is ways easier now,got almost no challenge on nightmare difficulty.

XeroSauce

Finally used this for my new run,and now that I have a dedicated card for physx, huge different,and I am not sure if it's because I played too much already or the framerate but the game is ways easier now,got almost no challenge on nightmare difficulty.

Waiting on my new card before I get to finishing this. :/

Started playing this today. The gameplay itself is okay, but I am in love with the visuals. Such an incredible looking gameworld! They really hit it out of the park when it came to designing the characters, environments, and feel of everything.

Just finished up Chapter 1, and I am sort of shocked how much more there appears to be left.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Started playing this today. The gameplay itself is okay, but I am in love with the visuals. Such an incredible looking gameworld! They really hit it out of the park when it came to designing the characters, environments, and feel of everything.

Just finished up Chapter 1,and I am sort of shocked how much more there appears to be left.

..You ain't seen nothing yet, wait till you hit Chapter 3, 4 and 5, the artstyle and the levels in wonderland will blow your mind.

Wow, Chapter 2 got really dark there at the end. I mean, wow...

Really having fun with the game, but I'm not wild about every objective being split up into 3 parts. I know it's just to lengthen the game, but it's kind of dumb. Not too much of a bother, but whatever.

Maxed out my knife already, and I've got my pepper grinder to level 3. Making progress!

Combichristoffersen

Wow, Chapter 2 got really dark there at the end. I mean, wow...

Really having fun with the game, but I'm not wild about every objective being split up into 3 parts. I know it's just to lengthen the game, but it's kind of dumb. Not too much of a bother, but whatever.

Maxed out my knife already, and I've got my pepper grinder to level 3. Making progress!

Max out the Teapot Cannon next.

Tizoc

So I fainlly decided to start playing this game, but decided to play the first game.
So far the 1st game feels...dull, should I just skip it and play Madness Returns instead?

Combichristoffersen

So I fainlly decided to start playing this game, but decided to play the first game.
So far the 1st game feels...dull, should I just skip it and play Madness Returns instead?

You don't really need to play the first game to get a hang of what's going on in Madness Returns (just read a Wiki synopsis for the first game if you want to), so just skip the original if you don't enjoy it.

That's what I did. No reason to keep on with the first game if you're not enjoying it. It's not necessary for the second.

I would say yes as the original game has not aged well mechanically. It has some cool level design and set-pieces, but the combat is horrible and the platforming can be frustrating at times. Madness Returns improved over both considerably, but it is a bit easier than the original. However, I enjoyed Madness Returns far more than anything in the original game.

Tizoc

Thanks guys i'll start it later today and prob. consider playing the first Alice some time in the future when i feel like it =3

Sora_N

I tried this on PS+ trial the other night...wow. Amazing art (imo). I'm trying to find a copy of this game right now.

Combichristoffersen

It brings a tear of joy to my eye every time a new GAFfer discovers the awesomeness of this game. It truly deserved a better fate than what it ended up getting. But I did my part, EA, I did my part.

Can we have that Alice in Londerland sequel plz? ;_;

Sora_N

It brings a tear of joy to my eye every time a new GAFfer discovers the awesomeness of this game. It truly deserved a better fate than what it ended up getting. But I did my part, EA, I did my part.

I wanted to try it for a while, but when I actually tried the demo I was pretty amazed how lovely everything looks. I found a few copies on Craigslist for $10, maybe I'll go for that. If not I may just buy on PSN.

mantidor

Freudian slip or do you really just want an Alice game set in the "real" part of Madness Returns?

Well to be honest I wouldn't mind that either.

Danielsan

Just finished Alice Madness Returns on the PC. Definitely a rough but an under appreciated gem and great reminder of just how much I miss 3D platforming games. This game simply oozes style, has very solid platforming and combat mechanics and overall some great level design. Yes the game's chapters may have been too long for their own good and yes the mini games pretty much sucked. However, aside from the mini-games I never felt that the padding came at the cost of gameplay quality. That said, I did feel that chapter 4 was the game's high point. Really really enjoyed that chapter.

It's such a tremendous shame that this game didn't do well. I'd love for Spicy Horse to make another installment.

Also, why the fuck has no other developer bothered to license their hair tech?! Alice's hair is an amazing achievement.

Top Bottom