• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

AEREC

PooBone said:
Is the game on Origin? If so I'd put money on it not coming to Steam. You know how EA is positioning their store.

"ONLY AVAILABLE ON ORIGIN UNTIL JUNE 17TH!"

Cant tell if this means:

1. The complete edition is only available on Origin until June 17th but the complete edition will be available everywhere else after June 17th.

2. The complete edition is only available on Origin until June 17th and will be downgraded to the regular version on June 18th.

I think I will just hold out for a Steam version...random EA games seem to come a bit later to Steam...The Sims Medieval being the most recent one.

legbone

AEREC said:
Im so tempted to get this but Im still working on LA Noire/Infamous 2 on the PS3...AssBro on the 360 and The Witcher 1 on PC.

I really need to learn patience when it comes to buying games and I know the price will drop soon on Alice.

i was in the same exact boat. playing la noire and infamous 2. i waited until finishing la noire and then picked this up. i will give you a piece of advice. do not buy this unless you want to quit playing infamous 2. this game is so good it will suck you in. of course, it may just be me.

ecierif

AEREC said:
Cant tell if this means:

1. The complete edition is only available on Origin until June 17th but the complete edition will be available everywhere else after June 17th.

2. The complete edition is only available on Origin until June 17th and will be downgraded to the regular version on June 18th.

I think I will just hold out for a Steam version...random EA games seem to come a bit later to Steam...The Sims Medieval being the most recent one.
I'm pretty sure it's #2. The offer was available for preorders for a few months, and they're probably letting it run through the end of the week to persuade people to buy it now rather than later (if at all).

B-Dex

I have to say Origin worked out amazingly for me. It even installs the game discreetly and tells you when it's ready to play.

Also an option for it to save or delete the installers automatically and where to save them if you want to keep them.

Edit: I am not a viral marketer I swear!

Tokubetsu

B-Dex said:
I have to say Origin worked out amazingly for me. It even installs the game discreetly and tells you when it's ready to play.

Also an option for it to save or delete the installers automatically and where to save them if you want to keep them.

Yeah as much as I like steam...Origin is not terrible.

AEREC

B-Dex said:

I dont mind Origins at all but I do prefer Steam mainly because:

- It keeps tracks of how much time you put into a game

- easy to take and save screenshots and Alice seems like a good game for screenshots

- I have more friends on steam (not that it matters too much for this game)

Im hoping I can buy it on steam eventually and then put the cd key in Origins.

AEREC

legbone said:
i was in the same exact boat. playing la noire and infamous 2. i waited until finishing la noire and then picked this up. i will give you a piece of advice. do not buy this unless you want to quit playing infamous 2. this game is so good it will suck you in. of course, it may just be me.

Im struggling to get through inFAMOUS 2, not sure why as the game looks and plays better than the first.

Snaku

Banned
B-Dex said:

Does it limit the number of times you can download a game, and how many machines you can install it on?

Tokubetsu

B-Dex said:

Also, I love the UI. It's not and probably will never replace the kinda use I get out of steam but I don't mind it nor regret my purchase of Alice on it. I'm also one of those weirdos who doesn't really mind D2D release either so yeah.

AEREC said:
Im struggling to get through inFAMOUS 2, not sure why as the game looks and plays better than the first.

Get ready for DAT Clunkiness in controls when switching to Alice though. :-D

I'm so down with this. I have the original PC-version, original OST, new Madness Returns Artbook, MR OST and now the game.

I expected a lot less from a Chinese product but Spicy Horse did their best on this. The hair looks great. Controls are still clunky like in the first Alice but fuck it the atmosphere is still incredible. Game design is generic as hell but I don't care, this will be my guilty pleasure for the summer.

Only downside for me is the OST, it needed more Vrenna magic and the tracks are too short. "Vale of Tears" is magical though

B-Dex

Not sure on install limitations, if any, but it did do a one time online authentication/decryption before letting me play.

Lime

Any of you think messing around with these settings in Engine.ini will make the textures better? World textures seem low-res compared to the other, although the source textures might be low-res themselves.

[SystemSettingsEditor]
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=False
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
ResX=1280
ResY=720
TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=1)
TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,NumStreamedMips=3)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldImportant=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldImportantNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldImportantSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)

MrMephistoX

AEREC

MrMephistoX said:
Seems like the PS3 version has better AA and particles so like Mass Effect 2 it boils down to personal preference. Some like a softer look like me other prefer the sharpness of the 360 which always looks less realistic to me.

I prefer the softer look of the PS3 as well but the shots where the PS3 version is missing ground textures is pretty huge.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm, this looks pretty damn good. I hope it shows up on Steam at some point.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Played more this morning, The game continue to be great, more 3D platforming, more fighting and more crazy, the story is very good now,so far I really love this game.

But I guess now I know why reviewers gave it low scores, it's very old school in it's core style with more "hard" platforming and solving puzzles than omgholyshitbbq cinematic/follow the mark to complete the game like the modern games, combat require more of you and it does punish you if you play carelessly and die (kinda like Demon's Souls).

eXistor

I borrowed this yesterday for about an hour and a half. I returned it today...I did not like it. It looks good and the controls are decent, but it's just no fun. It's got the most generic level design ever and the basic platforming gets old really fast. The combat is solid, but again, it's not fun. I find myself trudging through every level instead of enjoying myself.

It's a shame because it is a very interesting game, they just went the predictable route with it instead of trying something new, which a game like this needs to be. I can totally see people enjoying it though, but it didn't do anything for me. I might pick it up when it's cheap, but I'll leave it be for now.

Carnby

I told a coworker that I bought a copy of it on PS3. He said, "uh oh. That game got a bad review on IGN." I wanted to say, "Well NeoGaf said it's great. Deal With It," but I didn't.

He always responds to anything I say with, "well IGN said..." It's getting annoying.

PooBone

jaekwon15 said:
I told a coworker that I bought a copy of it on PS3. He said, "uh oh. That game got a bad review on IGN." I wanted to say, "Well NeoGaf said it's great. Deal With It," but I didn't.

He always responds to anything I say with, "well IGN said..." It's getting annoying.
IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2/10.

IGN is dead to me.

These guys have fucking outstanding artists. Either that or i'm absolutely desperate for games that don't look identical bar a few post process wank effects.

The actual game itself reminds me of Beyond good and evil from what little i've played of it. Seems very promising so far. Unfortunately i'm going away for a fortnight so i won't be able to play more of it. :(

Pimpbaa

Truant said:
Runs at a locked 60fps whenever I'm not in combat. As soon as I kill enemies and particles start flowing, the game drops to 20-30 even with physX on medium.

But the game is locked at 30fps by default.

PooBone

fizzelopeguss said:
These guys have fucking outstanding artists. Either that or i'm absolutely desperate for games that don't look identical bar a few post process wank effects.

The actual game itself reminds me of Beyond good and evil from what little i've played of it. Seems very promising so far. Unfortunately i'm going away for a fortnight so i won't be able to play more of it. :(
It's probably a combination of both.

Acquiescence said:
One of those rare occasions where IGN nails it. Game deserved 2/10 alone for it's clusterfuck excuse of a map.
Negative sir.

GJS

ecierif said:
I'm pretty sure it's #2. The offer was available for preorders for a few months, and they're probably letting it run through the end of the week to persuade people to buy it now rather than later (if at all).
The 17th is the UK release date for the game and also the last date so it could also have been easier just to set a store wide date for when the pre-order offer ends.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
absolutely love alice's nightcrawler-like teleporting ability.

on chapter 1 but really impressed so far.

best looking 360 game?

Lime

I still cannot believe EA chose to fuck PC gamers who pre-ordered and bought the game outside of Origin by excluding the DLC dresses and weapons + the Alice "remake". Even though I eventually caved and got the Complete Collection before the offer expired (I know, I suck, but got a good deal for it), I feel sorry for the many customers who are fucked over because of EA's business practices.

Meanwhile, 360/PS3 customers get the full package regardless of Origin.

But it's a good game so far and I am really enjoying it. Works like a charm with the 360 pad connected to my PC. And the game looks amazing. Like Totobeni mentioned a couple of posts above, the reviewers probably didn't like the old-school platforming and combat. I don't mind it at all and I consider it to be sufficiently entertaining and worthwhile. It's like playing a game from the end-90's/early 2000's, except with beautiful visual art style.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
StevePharma said:
Get ready for DAT Clunkiness in controls when switching to Alice though. :-D
?

Totobeni said:
But I guess now I know why reviewers gave it low scores, it's very old school in it's core style with more "hard" platforming and solving puzzles than omgholyshitbbq cinematic/follow the mark to complete the game like the modern games, combat require more of you and it does punish you if you play carelessly and die (kinda like Demon's Souls).
Needs more QTE and sex minigames.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
B-Dex said:
Do the console versions come with the extra weapons and dresses? Or do you have to dl that separate?

Sadly, no, you have to buy them separately. You can get them for around $2 though from the respective stores. I'm kind of considering it myself, though using those dresses on your first playthrough (except the Cheshire Cat dress) would feel too much like cheating. But they would be pretty cool for NG+.

luca_29_bg

There's a way to change physk settings and apex settings like mafia 2 to leave only clothing and flower when she jump physics based and cut off everything else. I have i7 860 3.7 ghz and a 5850 but with physics to medium don't hold always 60 fps.

Someone know about this thing ? ^^

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I'm tempted to give EA's Origin service a try to get the Complete Collection. I've never played the original game, and it would be pretty lame to miss out on those dresses (lol).

Has anyone used the Origin client before? Does it offer unlimited number of downloads on any number of computers/hardware configurations as long as I'm logged in like standard Steam stuff? Does it have an offline mode at all?

Ceebs

Finished the Hatter's Domain and the next section looks downright fantastic after all the drab industrial browns and orange. Love the atmosphere of the London sections as well.

This game is absolutely GORGEOUS. I really didn't expect the game to look this good. When I got to wonderland my jaw fucking dropped and I said holy shit.

Lime

Zefah said:
Damn, I'm tempted to give EA's Origin service a try to get the Complete Collection. I've never played the original game, and it would be pretty lame to miss out on those dresses (lol).

Has anyone used the Origin client before? Does it offer unlimited number of downloads on any number of computers/hardware configurations as long as I'm logged in like standard Steam stuff? Does it have an offline mode at all?

Origins is an install-only client. Once you have downloaded the game, you can run it independently from the client.

Upsides:
-You get the remake of Alice 1, a soundtrack sample, dresses and weapons DLC

Downsides:
-You can download a copy of a game 3 times each week.
-The client software is still shitty as fuck though. Think Steam anno 2002.
-EA has the right to remove a game after 2 years (but in rare circumstances they say)
-EA has the right to deactivate your account after 2 years of non-use
-It's EA.

Otherwise, read this faq: http://help.origin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5291/kw/frequently

B-Dex

Yeah I just made it to Hatter's Domain before work and the last little area with all the tea pots was very cool looking.

AEREC

Lime said:
Origins is an install-only client. Once you have downloaded the game, you can run it independently from the client.

Upsides:
-You get the remake of Alice 1, a soundtrack sample, dresses and weapons DLC

Downsides:
-You can download a copy of a game 3 times each week.
-The client software is still shitty as fuck though. Think Steam anno 2002.
-EA has the right to remove a game after 2 years (but in rare circumstances they say)
-EA has the right to deactivate your account after 2 years of non-use
-It's EA.

Otherwise, read this faq: http://help.origin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5291/kw/frequently

What the crap...hopefully it's easy to get it reactivated.

Mau ®

Quick question:

Once you download the original American McGee's Alice on PS3... do you need the Alice Returns disc to play it or you can launch it anytime you want?

Ceebs

AEREC said:
What the crap...hopefully it's easy to get it reactivated.
The same kind of thing is all the TOS's you just click ok to. Valve can yank away your Steam account for whatever reason as well.

That said, I need to get the tiledshot command working and the UI turned off. Some good wallpaper material in the game.

Oh my dual core + 4870 is running the game at a steady 30fps with the PhysX on medium until you get in a long drawn out fight where the debris starts to pile up. It still remains very playable if you really want the extra effects.

B-Dex

Where did you see the 3 times per week thing? this is all I see:

Q: Can I re-download old games I purchased?
A: Absolutely. All your previous purchases are still accessible from Origin.

Q: Can I re-download my games in general?
A: If you need to, yes. Please note that your already installed and previously purchased games are safe, sound, and work in exactly the same way as before.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of computers on which I can install my game?
A: Origin enables you to access your games from any PC, anytime, anywhere. Should you have an issue, contact Origin Help and we'll get you fixed right up!

Are the weapons included in the DLC just differnt variations of the ones in the game or are they new? I thought the pepper grinder was always in this game but see its in the DLC pack.

Ceebs

Outtrigger888 said:
Are the weapons included in the DLC just differnt variations of the ones in the game or are they new? I thought the pepper grinder was always in this game but see its in the DLC pack.
They are all pretty much cheat versions of the normal ones.

Lime

B-Dex said:
Where did you see the 3 times per week thing? this is all I see:

It was in the other thread about Steam vs. EA yesterday:

from this link:
http://support.ea.com/app/answers/de...-error-message

"Every time the download button is clicked, a download count will be added to your lifetime total. If you have installed your game via Origin on more than three computers within a ten day period, you will need to wait until the first installation expires.

Note: Re-installing your operating system, or interrupting a current download, will count as a new computer installation."

But the link is now dead, so maybe it is a change of policy.

Amir0x

Banned
well i took a gamble and got this since I had a $25 and a $15 off coupons at K-Mart.

I hope it's not terrible...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Game feels much better with a controller. Wish I'd plugged it in from the start.

Top Bottom