• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

luka said:
Hi. I'm spoilers without tags.

So wait..why are we spoiling the ending to the original? There are a lot of people in here who are going through the first one for the first time since it's packaged with it.

B-Dex

I loved the original Alice and I am not disappointed by the sequel. In fact, it makes the old one look clunky and cumbersome in comparison. But I will def. revisit it for some nostalgia. Too bad Origin doesn't have Trophies!

JohngPR

luka said:
Are you playing the original on PC? As a Q3-engine game designed for keyboard and mouse I can't imagine it would be very fun on a pad.
No, I never had a PC growing up so I never got to play the game on there. I'm playing it on the 360 via the online pass that came with Madness Returns.

The game looks surprisingly good for an 11 year old game and it runs smoothly but it's pretty rough with a gamepad, the jump is horrible.

I'm glad I glossed over the spoilers. I'm not sure if I'm going straight to Madness Returns or not yet.

:p

Jomjom

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Whoa, holy shit. I think I might return the PS3 version. The 360 version is much brighter resulting in a lot more colors. The PS3 version is still gorgeous in motion but yeah, 360 takes it here.

Yeah seriously what the heck happened? They forgot to add the colors in the PS3 version or something? Colors aside though, the PS3 version looks like it's better graphically.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Square Triangle said:
So wait..why are we spoiling the ending to the original? There are a lot of people in here who are going through the first one for the first time since it's packaged with it.
Sorry. The story is such a non-entity that I didn't think anyone would give a shit. It's like spoiling the ending for Quake. The best part of the game is the atmosphere and dialogue. Plus, I mean, the ending is basically given away in most of the previews and the opening for the sequel.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Square Triangle said:
Whoa, holy shit. I think I might return the PS3 version. The 360 version is much brighter resulting in a lot more colors. The PS3 version is still gorgeous in motion but yeah, 360 takes it here.

I think the PS3 version is missing a layer of the ground texture. Is it like that through the whole level? Maybe it's only like that for that level and the other levels are probably identical.

B-Dex

Tokubetsu said:
I knew I forgot one haha! (
I'm also like, deathly afraid of caterpillars IRL so...yeah. I must have blocked it out.
)

I think it's one of the cooler looking ones!

I'm gonna have to head out to a brick n' mortar to pick a copy up later tonight, that giantbomb playthrough pretty much sold me on the game.

I've got a GTX 480 but no seperate physx card, what's the recommended course of action there.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Can't get original Alice HD off the EU PSN store. Seems like Sony haven't put it up yet :(

And the game is absolutely gorgeous. Gonna double-dip and get the complete collection off Origins. I have to experience this game on PC.

jaundicejuice said:
I'm gonna have to head out to a brick n' mortar to pick a copy up later tonight, that giantbomb playthrough pretty much sold me on the game.

I've got a GTX 480 but no seperate physx card, what's the recommended course of action there.

You'll probably be all right on medium physx. High doesn't seem to make too much of a difference anyway. At least to me.

Game is really great, and looks surprisingly good for an UE3 game.

Square Triangle said:
From what I read you can ONLY get and play Alice if you own Madness on consoles.

No you get it on PC too, and it even has 360 pad support. Unless you mean you can't buy it separately on consoles, in that case, I'm not sure.

Poona

StevePharma said:
Only downside for me is the OST, it needed more Vrenna magic and the tracks are too short. "Vale of Tears" is magical though

Have you got it on CD? I'm trying to locate one but can't seem to find anything out there yet apart from it being downloadable. Would really like a physical something to hold much like the original game had.

Want the art book as well, but that looks possibly a month or so away of being available again.

Amir0x

Banned
huh. Man age does shit things to some games. The original Alice was always only decent to me, but now it's borderline unplayable compared to so many platformer/adventure games that have come out. Standards have evolved too much in the genre. Meanwhile playing the original Alice has gave me much greater appreciation for the NEW Alice, which controls much more tightly and incorporates many of the advances of the platforming/adventure genre since that title first released. And of course it does have a really trippy, sight-seeing type art direction where every new area is kind of a joy to visit. As for the actual level design, as in the type of platforming challenges and such I've encountered so far, that has fair well been on the mediocre side but it's early.

Definitely exceeding my expectations and I'm mean as shit to games so...

Lijik

The M.O.B said:
O_O Mad hatter Alice with the short hair

:swoon
For serious.

Wish my crummy laptop ran this game better, can even get past the first dominoes section.
Will have to try on a more capable rig later because the little I saw really really appealed to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I took the plunge with Origin and bought the Complete Collection. It only shows up as one item in the "My Games" list, though. Is it downloading both games, I wonder? The DL size is 9GB.

LocoMrPollock said:
You'll probably be all right on medium physx. High doesn't seem to make too much of a difference anyway. At least to me.

Game is really great, and looks surprisingly good for an UE3 game.

That's good to know, just in the middle of installing the game right now so I'll be able to test it out pretty quick. I think now that I own a few games that I like, that have physx support (Mirror's Edge and Mafia II) and wouldn't mind replaying, I might look into building my next rig with a dedicated phsyx card.

Amir0x said:
huh the game has some fairly tight platforming controls for a title that is supposed to suck. much tighter than the first Alice game imo
i almost feel like i'm cheating playing it in 3D.

reviewers just don't seem to get this game generally. looks like maybe EA didn't either with the lack of advertising.

Grisby

I might buy those costumes, 2 dollars isn't bad. The Dead Space ones were like 5 bucks a pop or something right?

fernoca

LocoMrPollock said:
No you get it on PC too, and it even has 360 pad support. Unless you mean you can't buy it separately on consoles, in that case, I'm not sure.
Yeah.
Combichristoffersen is wondering (I think :p) why he can't buy the original on the EU-PS Store, but on consoles to get the original you have to redeem the code/online pass in the game-menu and can only access the game through the Madness Returns menu.

On PC, you get the original by buying the Complete Collection. Regular PC copies don't include an online pass/voucher to get the original game.

Basically, the original game is DLC for Madness Returns in consoles as not only you can only access it through the game; but the 6 achievements you can earn are also tied to the achievements-list of MR.

I am completely pissed that I bought the retail PC version of this, and got shit on. No DLC options, no remake, and the soundtrack I was promised..didn't even get THAT.

Rage all around.

And on top of all that, the retail version is lame as fuck. I got one slip of paper, in black and white, telling me how to install the game. God damn.

At least the game is fun, but fuck. I might just have to buy the complete collection, right now, and let my girlfriend have this one or something. Between the retail PC version, complete collection, and the art book..I might as well just fucking bend over and let McGee have his way with me at this point.

Nemesis_

XeroSauce said:
I haven't finished McGee's Alice yet, do you guy think it'd be okay for me to jump into this one now?

I have the same question. I've heard that the second one's story draws a lot from the first one, hence why they've included it in the overall package.

I don't know what to do. I will probably just finish Alice and then start Madness Returns, unless I get distracted by FEAR3 and Shadows of the Damned too. =/

Thankfully holidays start in three days! Haha.

In the main menu of the game, there's an option to read a quick history of Alice. It basically summarizes everything you need to know to get yourself up to speed. So if you don't mind some light reading, there's that option.

Otherwise..you could actually just jump into the game. So far(I'm only on Chapter 2), nothing has really been heavily referenced from past games. There's a few nods to the old game, but nothing about the story really relies on the player having played it before.

Amir0x

Banned
TwinIonEngines said:
I might have to get this game; my tastes align with yours more often than not.

Really the one negative is that the combat is definitely unimpressive as far as these things go. But it's unimpressive in a sort of inoffensive way. It works, it's shallow, but it works. It's not going to stop the rest of the game, which is actually rather well designed so far, from clicking if it does indeed click with you.

I dunno I'm still early going so I'll come with a fuller set of impressions when I nearer beat the game but so far, as someone who wasn't even particularly enamored with the first Alice game, this has really faaaar exceeded my expectations

After I installed Alice, I registered my key in my Origin client, alongside my lonely copy of Darkspore, but when I tried to launch the game from the client, it always crashed on launch. You hear the beginning of the EA logo animation but never see anything and the game would just freeze. When I just double click on the executable itself, the game runs fine. Whatever.

Gonna run fraps and take some screenshots. The art direction in this game, or what little I've seen, is stunning. Walking through the orphanage and the streets of early industrial London was amazing, everyone is so fantastically ugly while the world so beautifully stylised.

XeroSauce

Ajemsuhgao said:
In the main menu of the game, there's an option to read a quick history of Alice. It basically summarizes everything you need to know to get yourself up to speed. So if you don't mind some light reading, there's that option.

Otherwise..you could actually just jump into the game. So far(I'm only on Chapter 2), nothing has really been heavily referenced from past games. There's a few nods to the old game, but nothing about the story really relies on the player having played it before.

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

I made the mistake of renting this game. I'll be sending it back to Gamefly tomorrow.

And spending $60 to buy a copy of my own.

Amazing. Absolutely loving it.

Alright put 2 hours into the game and so far have been really enjoying it. The graphics are really good for the 360 version, it can look like shit in areas but the art style keeps it from being a mess. The atmoshphere and enemys are pretty damn awesome, just somthing about fighting a troll with a giant fork or spoon. The combat is entertaining but nothing technical. The animation from melee to using the pepper shaker to dodging around has been fun to watch while alice's physics enduced hair flails around. So far its been a good gaf suggestion

EDIT: fuck it im biting on the 2$ DLC, first time ive boughten DLC of this nature. The dresses in the DLC are nowhere in the game correct?

The M.O.B

Alligatorjandro said:
Is this game worth a $60 purchase?

Well...

The Antitype said:
I made the mistake of renting this game. I'll be sending it back to Gamefly tomorrow.

And spending $60 to buy a copy of my own.

Amazing. Absolutely loving it.

I guess it is.

@Alligatorjandro, read the impressions in this thread, if what people are saying gels with you then do it.

Personally, I say yes though I only payed $46 for the PC version hehe

fernoca

The game's also $45 at Toys R Us till this Saturday. Online too and they allow for in-store pickup....just saying. :p

EDIT:
Currently out of stock..on 360, and no store-pick up...oh well.

Alligatorjandro said:
Is this game worth a $60 purchase?

Go to toys r us its 45$, or best buy priced matched it for me. Its not in there ad but there customer service looked it up on there computer. Also theres lots of hidden items in each chapter. So its replayable, plus it comes with the original. Id say its worth it for 60$

Top Bottom