• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Dizzy-4U said:

Surprisingly solid review and what I expected. The game isn't perfect, and has some issues with story/level progression but overall its fantastical, and a taste of the old platform game design aesthetics. Not sure if reviewers can't grasp it, don't care, or just plain hate things that aren't derivative. For me, Madness Returns is a beautiful experience and brings to life, in a totally fucked up way, one of my favorite childhood stories.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
piratepwnsninja said:
I assume the the PC edition of the original that comes with the Origin version works fine on modern PCs. Does it have controller support?
Yes, it does.

B-Dex

Outtrigger888 said:
Do they look differnt at all? The dresses arent in the game without DLC correct? Or is this just a 2$ cheat code?

Knife looks like a
Meat Clever
Perpper Grinder looks like a
Squid

luka

Loves Robotech S1
luca_29_bg said:
There's a way to change physk settings and apex settings like mafia 2 to leave only clothing and flower when she jump physics based and cut off everything else. I have i7 860 3.7 ghz and a 5850 but with physics to medium don't hold always 60 fps.

Someone know about this thing ? ^^
I would like to know how to do this. Butterflies are pretty but I don't want to lose my 60fps in combat.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I might give Origin a try, then. $49.99 for this and the original game is not a bad price! Still gonna have to think about it some more, though. I'd much rather have it on Steam.

Himself

After having exactly zero interest in this game and barely being aware of it's existence, I stumbled into this thread and am now interested. Is demo-begging as strongly discouraged as port-begging in these parts? Everything about it looks great, and I'd love to give it a shot.

Here's my main question for those who've finished it: Does it start to feel drawn-out by the end? Does the appeal wear off and are you just going through the motions the last few hours in order to to finish it? Or does it feel fresh throughout?

Tokubetsu

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Surprisingly solid review and what I expected. The game isn't perfect, and has some issues with story/level progression but overall its fantastical, and a taste of the old platform game design aesthetics. Not sure if reviewers can't grasp it, don't care, or just plain hate things that aren't derivative. For me, Madness Returns is a beautiful experience and brings to life, in a totally fucked up way, one of my favorite childhood stories.

Pretty fucking much. Well said. ^5

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Blakero said:
Giant Bomb review makes me wanna try this thing out... wish there was a demo

No demo, no marketing,no nothing,forced origin crap, EA just dropped the ball hard on this game, and it's niche as hell so yeah it's already dead, the sad thing is it's a very good game.

If this how EA will handle all the Partners Program games then I feel sorry for all of the studio who signed to enter this bloody mess, Studios should go to THQ or 2K or someone else.

Linkified

Totobeni said:
No demo, no marketing,no nothing,forced origin crap, EA just dropped the ball hard on this game, and it's niche as hell so yeah it's already dead, the sad thing is it's a very good game.

If this how EA will handle all the Partners Program games then I feel sorry for all of the studio who signed to enter this bloody mess, Studios should go to THQ or 2K or someone else.

How is it a 'Partners Program' game, when EA owns the 'American McGee's Alice' IP?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Himself said:
Here's my main question for those who've finished it: Does it start to feel drawn-out by the end? Does the appeal wear off and are you just going through the motions the last few hours in order to to finish it? Or does it feel fresh throughout?
I'm only like four hours in, and while the overarching story/progression of the game still has a lot of drive there are definitely sections in the game that feel like unnecessary blockades. These parts of the game can feel somewhat tedious as the game sets up a hub and asks you to bring three things back to said hub from short or long branching paths. This structure repeats itself over and over, where you have to help someone who in return never seems to repay the favor beyond unlocking the gate to the next area.

These sections are still "fresh" in terms of the environments and gameplay aspects presented to the player however. So while certain sections can feel laborious the adventure itself never really drags on you from what I've played.

Lime

If one wants to toggle the HUD on or off, simply add the following line to aliceinput.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\Config folder:

Bindings=(Name="key",command="ToggleHUD")

Where 'key' refers to the key you want to press whenever toggling the HUD.

Unfortunately the 'ToggleFlyCam' does not work, but if there is another command for using a flying camera in UE3 please tell me.

Ceebs

Lime said:
If one wants to toggle the HUD on or off, simply add the following line to aliceinput.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\Config folder:

Where 'key' refers to the key you want to press whenever toggling the HUD.

Unfortunately the 'ToggleFlyCam' does not work, but if there is another command for using a flying camera in UE3 please tell me.
Not tiledshot either it seems.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's kind of shocking that people refuse to buy any game that isn't on steam. Is retail that abominable? I mean, next time you're at the mall or best buy or whatever, just...pick it up then?

TheExodu5

Banned
luka said:
It's kind of shocking that people refuse to buy any game that isn't on steam. Is retail that abominable? I mean, next time you're at the mall or best buy or whatever, just...pick it up then?

I have other games to play. I'm not going to go out of my way to clutter my PC library.

luka said:

Steam Personal Console

Nishastra

Banned
luka said:
The whole reason I started getting everything I could on Steam was because I realized I had a ludicrous amount of old game discs and such and really didn't have room to be storing them any more. So I try to avoid adding yet more to my collection.

Also, it's nice to be able to install Steam on a machine and have a ton of games easily available.

Not to imply that I won't ever buy from DD services other than Steam, but being on Steam is a plus for me :p

That said, I may well just buy it next week. I'm not too bothered about the "Complete" version whatever, as I already own the original game.

Said fuck it. PS3. Put about two hours into it. Wow. The game is gorgeous looking- suffers from some technical issues but gawl damn is this game a gem. The combat, when targeting isn't always your friend though. I cannot wait to play with the other weapons.

luka said:

Yeah I don't get it. I'm just gonna buy it from GG, download it, add it to Steam, and then there's no difference.

luca_29_bg

please someone knows if it's possible to tweaks physk to leave only clothing and flower effect when she jumps and cut off the other things ? I really need that effect but 60 fps too. Help me! :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lastplayed said:
Yeah I don't get it. I'm just gonna buy it from GG, download it, add it to Steam, and then there's no difference.

There are a few differences.

- You have to download the install file, install the game, then do what you will with the install file if you get it from Gamersgate.
- You can only download the game from Gamersgate, so you'll have to keep track of your user information and all of that.
- Steam doesn't track your in-game time when playing games that you don't actually own on Steam.

Minor stuff to some people, but a big part of why people buy everything on Steam is because of convenience and peace of mind that Steam is sticking around.

AEREC

Square Triangle said:
Has anyone said which of the two console versions is better?

Id like to know as well but haven't been able to find a straight answer on this. I want to go with the PS3 version but not if performance is considerably worse than the 360.

Guess Ill just have to wait from DF or LoT to put out a full comparison.

commissar

lastplayed said:
Yep. Installing Origin and having it recognise and launch Burnout through Steam made me pretty happy. I dislike web based account management like GG etc. but GOG's no DRM installers and Origin's dedicated steam-alike I am happy with.

Add Non-Steam game to Steam people. It is not rocket science.

On topic, the game is good fun. Slightly twisted and inventive environments.
It all seems wonderfully sinister.

I am most pleased with it :D

Square Triangle said:
Has anyone said which of the two console versions is better?
I looked at the comparision from Lens of Truth and the results were weird.
The PS3 version seemed to have better AA or perhaps MSAA where the 360 did not.
The texture work seems equal on both except on what seemed to be one specific level (bright and pretty level) seemed to be much better on 360. Bizarre I'd say.

Amir0x

Banned
huh the game has some fairly tight platforming controls for a title that is supposed to suck. much tighter than the first Alice game imo

MrMephistoX

Zeouterlimits said:
I looked at the comparision from Lens of Truth and the results were weird.
The PS3 version seemed to have better AA or perhaps MSAA where the 360 did not.
The texture work seems equal on both except on what seemed to be one specific level (bright and pretty level) seemed to be much better on 360. Bizarre I'd say.

It seems that UE3 devs are playing to the strengths of each console in a way now so the net result is some things are better on one platform vice versa: it all comes down to personal preference. I couldn't really tell if one of their shots actually showed missing ground textures though since the PS3 shot was way too dark to tell for sure.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Amir0x said:
huh the game has some fairly tight platforming controls for a title that is supposed to suck. much tighter than the first Alice game imo
It's averaging 70-80.

tearsofash

Is it necessary to beat the original? I really can't seem to get the hang of how janky it feels. It was fun, but I kinda just want to jump into the new one.

Yamibito

Goddamn why did this have to come out a week before Shadows of the Damned, I really want it after that Giant Bomb review.

commissar

tearsofash said:
Is it necessary to beat the original? I really can't seem to get the hang of how janky it feels. It was fun, but I kinda just want to jump into the new one.
You can jump straight into the new one no problems. I did just that :)
A passing knowledge of the novel would help, but you probably know all you need to just from popular culture.

JohngPR

tearsofash said:
I'm in the same boat. The game controls pretty badly compared to todays standards.

what the hell I didnt realise there was a collection of dresses and new tier weapons at origin

I bought from gamersgate

will I be able to get these dresses/weapons later? Or is only way to buy this complete collection.

Whoa, holy shit. I think I might return the PS3 version. The 360 version is much brighter resulting in a lot more colors. The PS3 version is still gorgeous in motion but yeah, 360 takes it here.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
JohngPR said:
I'm in the same boat. The game controls pretty badly compared to todays standards.
Are you playing the original on PC? As a Q3-engine game designed for keyboard and mouse I can't imagine it would be very fun on a pad.

Story of the original game:
Alice kills the Dutchess. Alice kills Tweedle dum and dee. Alice kills the Hatter. Alice kills the Jabberwock. Alice kills the Queen, gets better and leaves the asylum. The end.

Top Bottom