• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Any suggestions on how to get past that door on Ch. 15?
It takes 5+ minutes to get to it and I only ever get 1 shot at it before the Alien Kills me. Musta tried 10 times now, I have tried tossing a noisemaker out of the room but it doesn't seem to buy me anymore time.

laxu

I still wish they had bothered making the alien move like it does in the first AvP game. Crawling on walls and every possible duct, kinda slithering along the walls. It's a big bugger so it would've still been noticeable. A lot harder to code and animate of course.

I still wish they had bothered making the alien move like it does in the first AvP game. Crawling on walls and every possible duct, kinda slithering along the walls. It's a big bugger so it would've still been noticeable. A lot harder to code and animate of course.
After watching scenes from the film, I'm hoping for that as well. That, and it hiding from YOU.

And for drippy mcdrips in the mouth region.

It takes 5+ minutes to get to it and I only ever get 1 shot at it before the Alien Kills me. Musta tried 10 times now, I have tried tossing a noisemaker out of the room but it doesn't seem to buy me anymore time.

15? Are you sure you don't mean 16 or 17? Nothing like that really happens in that chapter as far as I know.

KingKong

I'm really impressed how the game ramps up in the last few missions. Just when you've gotten used to basically everything, they really sic the alien on you and if you're like me you have so few resources that these are some of the tensest moments in the entire game

So the Isolation Xenomorph is new mixed with some old designs, right? I'm asking because I was confused by the leg joints in game and remember the original appearing a bit goofy as a man-in-suit look when seen in the full body shot outside of the ship. I'm actually asking because I want to buy a figure based on Isolation but may have to settle for the straight-legged original figure instead. (I'm more fearful of the one in Iso and therefore more attached to it, though)

So the Isolation Xenomorph is new mixed with some old designs, right? I'm asking because I was confused by the leg joints in game and remember the original appearing a bit goofy as a man-in-suit look when seen in the full body shot outside of the ship. I'm actually asking because I want to buy a figure based on Isolation but may have to settle for the straight-legged original figure instead. (I'm more fearful of the one in Iso and therefore more attached to it, though)

Yes. It's basically Alien upper body, Alien Resurrection-ish legs (which I always liked) in how the joints work though the feet aren't wide and dinosaur-like from what I could tell, and a tail design that while design-wise is from Alien is much longer and relaxed than any other iteration.

I'm not sure if there's any merchandise that really fits the Isolation model, though who knows if McFarlane (Those are still around, right?) or someone in that line of work will get contracted to make new models/figures and take inspiration or be directed to that design.

I do not know which I find more scarier. The Alien or the Androids. Those slow walking, here for your assistance, but actually on a killing spree zombies are scaring the living crap out of me.

Superflat

I do not know which I find more scarier. The Alien or the Androids. Those slow walking, here for your assistance, but actually on a killing spree zombies are scaring the living crap out of me.

I love how it's fairly common to run your into a corner and trap yourself with androids coming in from all possible exits, like a scenario straight out of a horror movie. Their calm composure and refusal (inability?) to run give them a very old school zombie vibe where they're easy to outrun, but dangerous when underestimated.

I love how it's fairly common to run your into a corner and trap yourself with androids coming in from all possible exits, like a scenario straight out of a horror movie. Their calm composure and refusal (inability?) to run give them a very old school zombie vibe where they're easy to outrun, but dangerous when underestimated.

One of my favorite moments and a testament to how well they nailed the interactive horror element was when *spoiling to leave this as a surprise for other players*
I opened up some kind of hub door and heard an android approaching from the room. I crouched down and watched it stand in place for a while and finally realized that the game is probably allowing me to move on to the next room before it starts patrolling again. So, still full of tension, I slowly crouch walk my way to the new room all the while keeping my eyes on the android until I pass the doorway. I then turn around and juke to the side so I'm out of its line of sight in case it turned when all of a sudden I hear the typical kind greetings I've come to fear. I panic and immediately turn around only to see it continue on its way past me doing its thing and asking if I was lost. Fuck, that got me real good.

Yes. It's basically Alien upper body, Alien Resurrection-ish legs (which I always liked) in how the joints work though the feet aren't wide and dinosaur-like from what I could tell, and a tail design that while design-wise is from Alien is much longer and relaxed than any other iteration.

I'm not sure if there's any merchandise that really fits the Isolation model, though who knows if McFarlane (Those are still around, right?) or someone in that line of work will get contracted to make new models/figures and take inspiration or be directed to that design.
Thanks, I thought so. McFarlane is still around. Most recently in the videogame world, they've been making Asassin's Creed figures. I'd love an Iso figure for sure.

I honestly thought Shadow of Mordor would become my GOTY this year because I do not see Unity becoming one with all the issues Ubisoft is having recently.

But damn the presentation of this game is the best I have seen the past two years. Not only that, but the game just clicks in every regard.

The small attention to details like climbing in vents screws up your motion tracker and the fact that the person you are playing as is not a skilled shooter so the revolver sways across the screen in tense moments.

The 70's style with the love and propaganda for space exploration, that there is nothing but beauty beyond earth and never danger. The posters and commercials portray such a thing.

Gearbox must feel terribly ashamed of themselves.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Gearbox must feel terribly ashamed of themselves.

I really don't think they do, they probably blame Sega and the other dev for that excuse of a game. As far as I'm concerned this game has completely vindicated Sega, there can't be many publishers that would back such a hardcore game.

I really don't think they do, they probably blame Sega and the other dev for that excuse of a game. As far as I'm concerned this game has completely vindicated Sega, there can't be many publishers that would back such a hardcore game.

Agreed, Pitchford is too much of a slimeball to think he did anything wrong. Plus, he pulled a Dyack and got away with it while laughing all the way to the bank.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey, what if instead of a sequel to this, they got the rights to The Thing?

c7NJRa2.gif

Holy shit that would be amazing- especially if they resisted the urge to make it an action-based FPS and (like A:I) leaned heavily on the atmosphere/sound design/vulnerability aspect/etc.
Imagine if the gameplay revolves almost exclusively on who you want to trust, minding yourself going into dark rooms, being alone with someone who may be infected, the ability to either kill or convince the group to kill another person who may not even be infected. Just allowing that amazing theme of 'paranoia' to play itself out in a first-person game format would be fascinating.
The key, IMO, would be if they could design it where the characters who are/get infected is completely randomized.

Carpenter is apparently a video game enthusiast, so get him involved, too. :}

Markitron

This will probably not be a popular opinion but I'd like to see their take on Aliens.

I wouldn't have it be a full-on FPS but maybe keep it 50% horror and 50% gunplay. I'd like it balanced in such a way that 1 Alien is a challenge to kill but 2-3 will require you to hide etc.

Aliens is my favourite film of all time and I have waited a long time for a game to do it justice. The most painful thing about the Colonial Marines disaster, is that the very game I thought would end my long wait ended up ensuring that my Aliens game is further away than ever.

Carpenter is apparently a video game enthusiast, so get him involved, too. :}

He's a massive Borderlands fan, if he wanted to involve Gearbox then I would be against it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This will probably not be a popular opinion but I'd like to see their take on Aliens.

I wouldn't have it be a full-on FPS but maybe keep it 50% horror and 50% gunplay. I'd like it balanced in such a way that 1 Alien is a challenge to kill but 2-3 will require you to hide etc.

Aliens is my favourite film of all time and I have waited a long time for a game to do it justice. The most painful thing about the Colonial Marines disaster, is that the very game I thought would end my long wait ended up ensuring that my Aliens game is further away than ever.

I would like to see them doing somekind of adaption of Alien 3. Yes, the movie sucks, but it is the only thing that would fit in the Isolation gameplay.

I would love to see them make Aliens, too. Its my favourite movie of the saga and I want to see what Creative Assembly would do with it.

Superflat

Their take on Aliens or The Thing would be stellar. I just hope they advance what they made with Alien Isolation by creating a better narrative, likable characters, and less repetition/tighter game.

Markitron

I would like to see them doing somekind of adaption of Alien 3. Yes, the movie sucks, but it is the only thing that would fit in the Isolation gameplay.

I would love to see them make Aliens, too. Its my favourite movie of the saga and I want to see what Creative Assembly would do with it.

Their take on Aliens or The Thing would be stellar. I just hope they advance what they made with Alien Isolation by creating a better narrative, likable characters, and less repetition/tighter game.

Whatever they do next I am just hoping it's not a retread of AI. For what it is, the game is almost perfect imo.

EGM1966

Emergency Ambulance door? No idea but I can tell you it can be a bitch. First time I got to it then every time I got out hacking device the Alien jumped me - like 5 or 6 times in a row.

I gave up, had a break, reloaded and went straight to the door and got it right away no interruptions from the Alien.

I watched a few streams and everyone seemed to just stroll up and open it. Guess we must be unlucky in being pestered by Alien at that point.

It is an interesting tribute to the genuinely random nature of the Alien.

I agree. I think a follow-up to Isolation would have to be more than just a retread of the first game. Spice it up a bit, but also don't forget what made people love A:I so much.
I think Colonial Marines could have been really great, but there was just so much wrong with it. I'd love to see what CA could do with a project like that.

I just hope CA gets the chance to make another Alien game. I have no idea if Isolation has sold well or bombed. :/

Markitron

Emergency Ambulance door? No idea but I can tell you it can be a bitch. First time I got to it then every time I got out hacking device the Alien jumped me - like 5 or 6 times in a row.

I gave up, had a break, reloaded and went straight to the door and got it right away no interruptions from the Alien.

I watched a few streams and everyone seemed to just stroll up and open it. Guess we must be unlucky in being pestered by Alien at that point.

I actually did it yesterday. I walked up and grabbed the hack upgrade then immediately threw a noisemaker outside the room down the corridor. I then set off a smoke bomb at the locked door itself and hacked it.
After the first time I did this the Alien killed me
as I walked through the door, but I managed to make it the second time.

I think it was only the second time I found the game to be truly frustrating, the first being early on with the humans in the large open space. This game is significantly easier if you actually use your crafted devices decently.

EGM1966

I actually did it yesterday. I walked up and grabbed the hack upgrade then immediately threw a noisemaker outside the room down the corridor. I then set off a smoke bomb at the locked door itself and hacked it.
After the first time I did this the Alien killed me
as I walked through the door, but I managed to make it the second time.

I think it was only the second time I found the game to be truly frustrating, the first being early on with the humans in the large open space. This game is significantly easier if you actually use your crafted devices decently.
Good to hear although that "nearly" attempt must have hurt - so agonising when Alien gets you right before end of objective like that.

Distractions well used definately make a number of sections easier that's for sure.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck yeah. Imagine members of the cast being randomly infected each time you play, to keep things fresh; having to juggle (possibly) multiple AI as they hide and try to sabotage the base; testing your "man-management skills" as your team starts mutinying for accidentally killing a human or taking to long to find the alien; and where all the kinds of monsters the infected turn into are generated on the fly.

Did I say fuck yeah?

I hate myself. I have not been able to touch this game since two days ago because my life has been busy as fuck. It will probably be a 3-4 hour streak on Thursday. I need my Alien fix.

kasatka

Neo Member
I just love this game. It's the first time since Bioshock: Infinite that I just can't wait to have some free time to dive back into this world and see what the designers came up with. It's the type of game where I savor the first play-through because I know that down the line I will miss that feeling so much!

The game itself is very akin to Bioshock 1 where you get to explore this huge place where something has gone awfully wrong and some of the environment design really makes me recall Minerva's Den which also had a very nice retro-futuristic look.

laxu

I got extremely lucky. As I got the access tuner level 3 I heard the Alien stomping around and went the exact right way and quickly hid under a bed. Alien comes around the corner (from behind me) right after I get under the bed. I wait for it to get out of the room, then try to open the emergency ambulance door. I fuck up once with the tuner causing noise, get it right on the second try and have just enough time to turn around and use the flamethrower on the Alien that was coming up behind me.

A really rare case in the game where your valiant effort didn't end up in tears. :)

axb2013

I just love this game. It's the first time since Bioshock: Infinite that I just can't wait to have some free time to dive back into this world and see what the designers came up with. It's the type of game where I savor the first play-through because I know that down the line I will miss that feeling so much!

163.gif

I still fire it up once in a while and it's fun but much like everything else in life it's not quite as exciting as when it's new to you. A:I should be a mandatory study for any AAA studio on how to create a strong SP experience.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I was thinking this last night while playing Isolation - the way they've done crafting/tasks in this game would have worked so much better than the way they did it in Colonial Marines. (To be fair, everything in this game is better than that turd). Welding doors shut, etc.

With their attention to detail it'd nail the atmosphere. Could definitely be an interesting take on the game if they took it on, but I'd worry it'd veer too far into FPS territory. For now I just gotta power through this ! Still only on chapter 6. Life getting in the way.

I rather see Creative Assembly improving on this survival horror genre. There is so much they can do in terms of refinement and narrative that I would hate to see the slow approach being ruined with the huge chance of it becoming another stale shooter trying to "refine" the genre. They have created an amazing chemistry with the player and alien, and the success of this game hugely relied on the survival mechanic of it. Taking a slow approach in a game filled with attention of detail and love for the movie is what made this game one huge success for me. I can not help but feel that detail will get lost when you have a weapon in front of your screen, with a bunch of aliens and perhaps even one predator attacking you. Let other developers try that approach. We all saw what happened with Colonial Marines.

Terrified

PSA for anyone looking to pick this up cheap in UK...

Game is selling the Nostromo version for the following prices:

PS4/XB1 - £24.99
PS3/360 - £19.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/alien-isolation-ripley-edition-only-at-game-303319?categoryIdentifier=737261&catGroupId&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-Tradedoubler-_-HotUKDeals-_-Banner

(Apologies if already posted - at work and haven't been able to look through the past couple of pages).

Edit: Apparently this is instore too, at least in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

What's the difference between the Ripley edition and the Nostromo edition and any preference for either one? I'm tempted by this, the only problem is i'm not sure if it's my kind of game. there again my mate doesn't like it and will lend me their copy to try out so i'll go that route but this does seem like a good Christmas holidays game :)

Liamc723

What's the difference between the Ripley edition and the Nostromo edition and any preference for either one? I'm tempted by this, the only problem is i'm not sure if it's my kind of game. there again my mate doesn't like it and will lend me their copy to try out so i'll go that route but this does seem like a good Christmas holidays game :)

The Ripley edition includes two pieces of DLC, whereas the Nostromo edition only has one.

EGM1966

I just did mission(9?) showing
LV-426
. God damn. So good.
Yah loved that mission. I almost wish it was a tad longer. I'm glad that unlike Ridley Scott with Prometheus they didn't overly expand on background to anything related to the Alien. I think they could go further in a sequel (if we get one) while essentially keeping things mysterious.

Daffy Duck

Has this game had any patches to fix the stuttering?

£25 for this game for the Ripley edition seems like a stupid price, just a little put off by the hitches I've read about.

Had a mini heart attack(or three) when
the FaceHugger appeared on the screen after I finished destroying the nest in the Hospital Ward.

I was turned around trying to fight off the Xeno and...bam.

Fuck, this game still gets me!

man, the flame thrower makes the game easier yeah, I wish the game just had the wrench, no guns whatsoever.

To be honest I think I used the revolver maybe three times the entire game- and pretty much every time was exclusively against androids. The bolt gun was key against those shithead hazmat androids. Honestly one of the few designs I disliked with the game. Those ones were jerks.

I tried the shotgun once in a desperation move against the alien, but naturally it did jack shit. :p

The flamethrower became my best friend- until the final few chapters when I was running dangerously low on fuel. That's what the real fear set in.
I put way too much reliance on that thing and in the end it almost fucked me.

cjp

PSA for anyone looking to pick this up cheap in UK...

Game is selling the Nostromo version for the following prices:

PS4/XB1 - £24.99
PS3/360 - £19.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/alien-isolation-ripley-edition-only-at-game-303319?categoryIdentifier=737261&catGroupId&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-Tradedoubler-_-HotUKDeals-_-Banner

(Apologies if already posted - at work and haven't been able to look through the past couple of pages).

Edit: Apparently this is instore too, at least in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Has this game had any patches to fix the stuttering?

£25 for this game for the Ripley edition seems like a stupid price, just a little put off by the hitches I've read about.

No but they are working on a fix for the stuttering and some gamebreaking bugs.

I saw the same deal and I'm really tempted. If it has already dropped to this price though, how long will it take to drop a little more?

I checked out the forums and a CA staff member made the following post today about the reported issues:

Hi all,

I appreciate that everyone's really keen to get a date for a fix for the mentioned issues that you're all raising. We are working to sort this and we're hoping for an update very soon. The moment that we can confirm more information, we will absolutely let everyone know.

We're as keen as everyone else for this and we do appreciate your patience whilst we work at the issues you've been reporting in.

I can only say thank you to everyone who has waited patiently, we will have an update soon.

best,

Nee

I'm thinking I could ask for this as a present from one my sisters and by the time Christmas rolls around it'll be patched. I'm assuming any included DLC codes won't have expired by then, right?

Top Bottom