• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Took advantage of the Game deal, too good to pass up. I was on the fence because I'm not sure the unpredictable difficulty spikes are something I'll enjoy but the atmosphere looks great.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Man, I really like Ripleys voice actress, she does a really good job.

Same, I thought she was incredibly convincing.

I have seen a few people bitch about this and I don't really get it. She barely talks and when she does she sounds scared out of her mind, which is the way it should be AFAIK

I watched Pewdiepie finish his LP of this game and
the ending looked lame as hell

I actually quite liked the end, felt appropriate after what I had been through.
There's no way she has a chestburster in her btw, that scene in Aliens is almost certainly cannon

EGM1966

Has this game had any patches to fix the stuttering?

£25 for this game for the Ripley edition seems like a stupid price, just a little put off by the hitches I've read about.
Just to check you know the stuttering is purely in the cutscene videos right? It's a shame but it has zero impact on gameplay whatsoever.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just to check you know the stuttering is purely in the cutscene videos right? It's a shame but it has zero impact on gameplay whatsoever.

This is true, also the cutscenes are about 5-10 minutes of a 20-25 hour game.

I'm really enjoying this game at 4K resolution! Had to make some screenshots.
RZgb.png

The HUD is a bit of a mood killer. They should have gone HUDless for this game imo, it's not really needed.

Still haven't finished it, I really like the game but I'm starting to feel that it will outstay its welcome.

I am playing it in 2-3 hour streaks and I absolutely love it. Do you want to rush and finish it because you know more games are coming up in a week?

The HUD is a bit of a mood killer. They should have gone HUDless for this game imo, it's not really needed.

I agree. The HUD is already pretty small but it can still ruin the immersion.

I am playing it in 2-3 hour streaks and I absolutely love it. Do you want to rush and finish it because you know more games are coming up in a week?

I usually don't play for more than a couple of hours either, I guess I feel that I've seen what the game has to offer. I just did a segment that I thouht was the end since it seemed fitting for a climax, but now that I see that the game still goes on I felt my motivation drop. Getting that "been there done that" feeling you know?
It's still a goty contender for me though.

I usually don't play for more than a couple of hours either, I guess I feel that I've seen what the game has to offer. I just did a segment that I thouht was the end since it seemed fitting for a climax, but now that I see that the game still goes on I felt my motivation drop. Getting that "been there done that" feeling you know?
It's still a goty contender for me though.

It can happen. More people and reviewers tend to agree that the game tends to go on for far too long, but right now I am in the segment that never wants the game to end.

Malcolm9

The game is fantastic, the only stuttering is in the cutscenes but the rest of the game is smooth.

The pacing and length are just right personally, which is about between 15-20 hours depending on if you want every collectible/audio logs etc.

The ending is fine as you build up the story as you go along, as well as fill in gaps about the original Nostromo crew. If you want a fairly decent challenge without it being too frustrating then play it on Easy. I never felt the HUD was distracting, it's pretty minimal to be fair.

This is definitely one of the best games this gen so far, and for me the best video game based on the Alien movies.

GrazGamer

Just finished this today, in about 20 hours on normal.

For me this is one of the finest games I have ever played.

Atmosphere, gameplay, graphics, sound design, all outstanding.

Pitch perfect pacing, game definitely did NOT out stay it's welcome for me and I was really disappointed it was over. I really enjoyed the story too.

For me, the game was not frustrating in any way once I adjusted to how to play. I loved every second, even when I wasn't playing I was desperate to play it and I know I will replay it many times in the future.

Hope I like survivor mode as I am not ready to let go off this game yet, AW can wait.

IpsoFacto

I finished it recentely as well. It was glorious. There was one or two minor issues I had, some areas in particular were ubber difficult, so much so, I had set the difficult on Easy because in some areas, there are a couple of things that are even scarier than the gosh darn Xeno.

Timeaisis

Every time I think this game is over, something else happens. Seriously. I think I'm up to mission 15 at this point?
I just finished the part in the reactor core, and I made it over to the orbiting ship which I don't remember the name of.

That
reactor
section. Holy shit. That was intense.

Every time I think this game is over, something else happens. Seriously. I think I'm up to mission 15 at this point?
I just finished the part in the reactor core, and I made it over to the orbiting ship which I don't remember the name of.

That
reactor
section. Holy shit. That was intense.

Should've been the ending imo, that's the section I was reffering to in my previous post, it was much more fitting to be the final act of the game. I finally finished it and thought the ending was really lame. With so many great moments like the part mentioned in the post I quoted and the final section consists of
walking slowly for 10 minutes and a QTE in the end? Really? Everything after overloading the reactor felt unnecessary to me. The part in the nest is the highlihght of the game for me and the sequence where you overload the reactor would've been an excellent climax for the game. They ended up dragging the game on only to eventually present us with a very unsatisfying conclusion with the typical cliche of implying that the protagonist is going to die only to show a glimmer of hope in the last frame.

Still an excellent game though, provided me with some of the most tension filled moments I've ever experienced in a game. The Xeno is genuinely scary, the atmosphere is incredible and absolutely nailed the vibe from the first movie, the gameplay is excellent and the game really nails that feel of controlling and actual person instead of just a floating camera thanks to the excellent animations.
Then there's the music, oh my god, that music. If the point of a soundtrack is to enhance what the player is supposed to be feeling then this one excelled at it. There were times when I actually held my breath and was avoiding making noise in real life, that's how tense I was, if you're not playing this with a good set of headphones you're doing it very wrong.
Honestly it's hard to imagine a better Alien game, one of the best uses of a license ever.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just finished the game. I agree with the general consensus: great game, but it drags a bit (to a lot) in some sections. Especially after
the reactor
. And
the ending
is just... bland. Very, very, very bland.

This is probably a stupid question, but how to I "put away" an inventory item?

I just crafted a medkit and I'm running around holding the stupid thing in my hand.

jond76

Banned
Not the best quality gif but I wanted to share.

Keep watch above the Joe's right shoulder (left side of screen) when he pins me against the wall to see when I started screaming. Haha.

doubl.gif

tcrunch

This is my first PS4 game, been playing for the past 3 days or so, just had to take a break now when: 1) I walked into a room and it exploded, 2) I woke up and heard a familiar robotic murmuring, 3) I stood up and got strangled to death by a Working Joe that was on fire after backpedaling a few useless steps.

djm9lMk.gif

Good game.

AlexMogil

It's 4:30 am and I am just starting the Seegson Synthetics level with all the uh, resting Joes. Nope. Fuck that fuck everything I'm 42 years old and I'm sleeping with the lights on. Nope no way.
I turn a corner and there's one of those things just standing motionless, arms frozen in a pose.
Nope. I'm playing on a 130" screen with a 7.1 system with the lights completely out.

Nope. No way. I'm going to read my bible or something. Im out for a while.

Enjoying the game but i really hate the small fetch quests that really pad out areas too much. Reminds me of dead space in that aspect. A longer game doesnt always equal a better one

Keep watch above the Joe's right shoulder (left side of screen) when he pins me against the wall to see when I started screaming. Haha.

Jeepers I would have jumped out of my seat at that moment regardless of the time of day or night that I played it.

EGM1966

doubl.gif
Terrific. Perfectly sums up the game's insane intensity levels. Love the way it just shoved the Joe out the way.

Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.

Markitron

Mission 13 is a real pain in the ass.

The joes are immune to my stun baton. :(

Take your time and line up a headshot with the
bolt gun
. Failing that a
shotgun blast to the head at close range
or a
pipe bomb
will do the trick. You may have to run in and smack them with the wrench after the
pipe bomb
detonates though.

Try to conserve as much as possible in this chapter as (late ch 13 spoiler)
you will have to face at least 12 more towards the end. And there is no getting around them.

Beat the game last night.

Hated the ending!

Can't say much more without spoiling it:

After that shitty section where you're forced to backtrack into vents and put on another space suit, you get the station dissolving into the atmosphere and still one Of the fuckers still made it into that pod??

Was planning to trade it in today. Is there any reason to redeem the Nostromo codes to play or is the same experience reskinned?

EGM1966

Beat the game last night.

Hated the ending!

Can't say much more without spoiling it:

After that shitty section where you're forced to backtrack into vents and put on another space suit, you get the station dissolving into the atmosphere and still one Of the fuckers still made it into that pod??

Was planning to trade it in today. Is there any reason to redeem the Nostromo codes to play or is the same experience reskinned?

Never had issue with that at all. Just moments before
you saw multiple Aliens swarming over the ship and it's perfectly feasible one got inside before the engines fired.

The only genuine "it couldn't have got there" moments for me where
the facehuggers running around
and in particular the one on
Marlowe's ship which was left stationed after they took his implanted wife about the station. While I had trouble with the idea facehuggers were waiting patiently behind piles of cardboard boxes like headcrabs in Half Life that one in particular simply couldn't and shouldn't have been where it was.

The ending I was fine with and it was a nice way to blend elements of
the end of Alien and to an extent the beginning of Aliens together

Just finished Chapter 2, still early but loving the game so far.

Question - are the cutscenes really choppy for anyone else? The game runs quite well but when I'm watching a cinematic the framerate seems really low, or some kind of other stutter is going on. It's super distracting.

Also, I just got to my first combat encounter and keep dying. There's 3 people with guns and a bunch of rewiring panels. Any tips?

strafer

bolt gun
. Failing that a
or a
pipe bomb
will do the trick. You may have to run in and smack them with the wrench after the
pipe bomb
detonates though.

you will have to face at least 12 more towards the end. And there is no getting around them.

Bolt gun? Where do you get that?

And I had to leave all the weapons before Mission 13 so I dont have the Shotgun.

Markitron

Bolt gun? Where do you get that?

And I had to leave all the weapons before Mission 13 so I dont have the Shotgun.

I may have gotten my timeline a little confused here so apologies for potential spoilers, It's still good advice though! Pipe bombs are your best bet right now, you will need a few so keep crafting them and make sure you don't leave any of their materials behind.

Just finished Chapter 2, still early but loving the game so far.

Question - are the cutscenes really choppy for anyone else? The game runs quite well but when I'm watching a cinematic the framerate seems really low, or some kind of other stutter is going on. It's super distracting.

Also, I just got to my first combat encounter and keep dying. There's 3 people with guns and a bunch of rewiring panels. Any tips?

Everyone has problems with the cutscenes, they're extremely irritating. They make up only about 10 minutes of the entire game so it's not a problem in the long run.

The section your describing has caused most people bother. Your best bet is to throw a craftable item over one side of the room and sneak upstairs or lure them out of the room 1 by 1 and kill them with the wrench (this is what I did, but it will lock you out of an otherwise easy trophy/achievement). You will be glad to know sections like this are not repeated in future.

bolt gun
. Failing that a
or a
pipe bomb
pipe bomb
detonates though.

12?
There are only 4 Joes you have to kill in the reactor section of chapter 13. You can get around the rest.

Just finished my 4th playthrough of the game.

Markitron

12?
There are only 4 Joes you have to kill in the reactor section of chapter 13. You can get around the rest.

Just finished my 4th playthrough of the game.

Turns out I was talking about Ch. 14, I got a little mixed up. I was referring to when your
descending the lift and having to kill 4 immediately, then 4 soon afterwards. When I came back up the lift after you-know-what There were 4 more.

Turns out I was talking about Ch. 14, I got a little mixed up. I was referring to when your
descending the lift and having to kill 4 immediately, then 4 soon afterwards. When I came back up the lift after you-know-what There were 4 more.

That's what I was talking about too.
The only ones you have to kill are the 4 immediately after you come back up the lift. You can run past all the others with a bit of luring.

Markitron

That's what I was talking about too.
The only ones you have to kill are the 4 immediately after you come back up the lift. You can run past all the others with a bit of luring.

Really? I only played it the once but it seemed like their grab radius is a bit too wide.
Knowing now what happens next I would probably run past them as I thought when I was descending into the area for the first time that I would have to solve puzzles/throw switches and the androids wouldn't let me. I would say most players probably killed them for the same reasons.

Really? I only played it the once but it seemed like their grab radius is a bit too wide.
Knowing now what happens next I would probably run past them as I thought when I was descending into the area for the first time that I would have to solve puzzles/throw switches and the androids wouldn't let me. I would say most players probably killed them for the same reasons.

Yeah, agreed. I did it on my first playthrough too. I mean, it's probably just as easy anyway since
you only need Bolt ammo a couple more times in the game after that, and there's plenty lying around if you're a thorough scavenger.

Markitron

Yeah, agreed. I did it on my first playthrough too. I mean, it's probably just as easy anyway since
you only need Bolt ammo a couple more times in the game after that, and there's plenty lying around if you're a thorough scavenger.

Exactly. I have seen people complain about it a lot but I thought it was really freaky. The lighting was fantastic, seeing
the androids lit up by intermittent flashes from the reactor was really cool. Especially the second set when I thought I had cleared them out.

Top Bottom