• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

What's the best way to take down the first Android guys you encounter? I've tried shooting and meleeing them but theres 2 and they just keep grabbing and eventually killing me.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
What's the best way to take down the first Android guys you encounter? I've tried shooting and meleeing them but theres 2 and they just keep grabbing and eventually killing me.

At the start of the game? Don't fight them at all, they are very slow just run away.

And you should NEVER use your gun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ok. I need to access an elevator and I'm guessing I need to get on a computer in the room they are in. Will they attack me?

Yes, from this point on they will. IIRC you don't need to go into that room for long, just sneak in and disable the security camera from one of the hackable panels (your map will tell you where it is) then call the lift with the button next to it.

Yes, from this point on they will. IIRC you don't need to go into that room for long, just sneak in and disable the security camera from one of the hackable panels (your map will tell you where it is) then call the lift with the button next to it.

Thanks. Yeah they killed me when I snuck in there..gotta be stealthier I guess. Will give it another go

Got past those bastards. Man these androids are killing my exploration buzz, I've gone from checking every corner for supplies to just blazing through rooms to avoid detection. Hope I'm not missing anything important.

Got past those bastards. Man these androids are killing my exploration buzz, I've gone from checking every corner for supplies to just blazing through rooms to avoid detection. Hope I'm not missing anything important.

Don't worry about supplies.

I finished the game well overstocked with things I never used because I was a pack rat. Use the items to your heart's content.

Don't miss the ID Cards/Access Terminals.

I played on Medium if that helps any.

Don't worry about supplies.

I finished the game well overstocked with things I never used because I was a pack rat. Use the items to your heart's content.

Don't miss the ID Cards/Access Terminals.

I played on Medium if that helps any.

Good to hear. I'm doing pretty well for supplies now, also playing on Medium.

Markitron

I have to ask, is there a new game+?

No, there wouldn't really be any point to one though. Bar a few upgraded schematics, your the same at the start as you are at the end. Also giving you any of your mid-late game items early on would break the game progression.

Every time you start a mission the game makes a hard save and you can chapter select via these saves. There is a chapter later on where you can essentially free roam if you ignore your objective and head to the transit station instead. Since you now have all your equipment you can open every door on the station and get all the collectables.

It's Ch.
btw

refreshZ

Just finished the game and would like to add my voice to the many that have loved this game, the atmosphere it conjures, the stunning soundscape and lighting. Most of all to the loving recreation of Alien universe - something Alien/s fans have been waiting for seemingly forever. It truly is a sight (and sound) to behold, Creative Assembly have outdone themselves. I really do wish this franchise makes some serious cash and that there are further sequels down the road in the same mould.

CloudNein

No, there wouldn't really be any point to one though. Bar a few upgraded schematics, your the same at the start as you are at the end. Also giving you any of your mid-late game items early on would break the game progression.

Every time you start a mission the game makes a hard save and you can chapter select via these saves. There is a chapter later on where you can essentially free roam if you ignore your objective and head to the transit station instead. Since you now have all your equipment you can open every door on the station and get all the collectables.

It's Ch.
btw

Yeah, but isn't there a better time to do that somewhere?
There are points where the alien isn't following you. It's a major PITA to have the alien walking around while you're trying to straight up explore

There are points where the alien isn't following you. It's a major PITA to have the alien walking around while you're trying to straight up explore

That's the only point where you can go everywhere in the station to get all missed collectibles and you have all the fully-upgraded tools to open every locked door and vent.

Markitron

Just as Vaultboy said, it's the only time you have enough equipment to open every door/vent.
The Alien will never attack you as long as you don't run. I managed to get all the collectibles and only ran into him once when I shot a stray android with my shotgun.

Handily enough once you pick up any collectable or log, it's saved onto your profile whether you save your game or not. You can take advantage of this quite easily by loading previous saves after you pick it up

Just finished the game and would like to add my voice to the many that have loved this game, the atmosphere it conjures, the stunning soundscape and lighting. Most of all to the loving recreation of Alien universe - something Alien/s fans have been waiting for seemingly forever. It truly is a sight (and sound) to behold, Creative Assembly have outdone themselves. I really do wish this franchise makes some serious cash and that there are further sequels down the road in the same mould.

It's still doing well in the UK charts so hopefully that's a good indication of worldwide sales. CA really deserve success on this.

CloudNein

Just as Vaultboy said, it's the only time you have enough equipment to open every door/vent.
The Alien will never attack you as long as you don't run. I managed to get all the collectibles and only ran into him once when I shot a stray android with my shotgun.

Handily enough once you pick up any collectable or log, it's saved onto your profile whether you save your game or not. You can take advantage of this quite easily by loading previous saves after you pick it up

It's still doing well in the UK charts so hopefully that's a good indication of worldwide sales. CA really deserve success on this.

Hmm, I don't know what to say. Hasn't been my experience. I immediately went to the closest tram upon loading that level and went somewhere else upon that (the area of the second failed trap) and he's been stalking me like fucking normal.

On Demand

Banned

Yeah man this game is really good. I'm only up to chapter 11 so far and i love it. I'm glad I gave it a chance because i originally wasn't going to buy it but I watched a few streams and read a couple if impressions on here and I was sold. Some of the reviews make no sense. I hope the game does well.

Creative Assembly is to Alien games what Rocksteady is to Batman games.

frontovik

Banned
For those who are wondering how the
facehugger got onboard the Anesidora. It was a stowaway on the ambulance that Ripley used to travel to the flight vessel.

She makes a comment about it to Ricardo when you arrive onboard the Anesidora. However the dialogue seems to have been removed on the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQxs7h0ldM
Starts at 1:20:05

-Deimos

facehugger got onboard the Anesidora. It was a stowaway on the ambulance that Ripley used to travel to the flight vessel.

She makes a comment about it to Ricardo when you arrive onboard the Anesidora. However the dialogue seems to have been removed on the PC version.

There was a facehugger on the Anesidora? I don't remember encountering any aliens on board it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There was a facehugger on the Anesidora? I don't remember encountering any aliens on board it.

Yeah, there were one or two Facehuggers. No full grown Xenos.

Another thing about the game in generel:

Werent there Screenshots of Runner Aliens? Like the one from Alien 3? I am wondering, how those pics were made, since I never encountered one.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Finally finished this. Such an amazing game.

Do we know sales numbers yet? Was this a success? CA should be applauded for the most atmospheric game I have ever played, and pure reverence for the source material.

I said this before, but who else thinks CA doing Jurassic Park: Isolation would be absolutely freaking brilliant.

This style of game fits JP ip perfectly.

Andrew.

Banned
This has been the best non Wii U game Ive played this gen so far. The atmosphere, lighting, art and sound design is all beyond exceptional to me. Mission 9 melted my fucking brainpiece.

Im up to the end of Mission 10 on Hard and have been taking my time exploring everyhwere and soaking everything in. Im gonna upset when its finally over for sure, but will deifnitely replay it to find all the Nostromo logs and ID tags.

Top five for the year easily.

Andrew.

Banned

Do we know sales numbers yet? Was this a success? CA should be applauded for the most atmospheric game I have ever played, and pure reverence for the source material.

I said this before, but who else thinks CA doing Jurassic Park: Isolation would be absolutely freaking brilliant.

No.

They need to tackle The Thing next. Carpenter and Russell version, not the piece of tripe that released a year or so ago.

EGM1966

Even with the dialogue it doesn't make sense but it's only a nitpick complaint i guess. I'd still rather they hadn't bothered with that jump moment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a point in the game where you can go collect everything you missed? Is Aliens McXeno still around at that point?

Andrew.

Banned
Is there a point in the game where you can go collect everything you missed? Is Aliens McXeno still around at that point?

Apparently its during Mission 16. Instead of entering the final tram or whatever, you're able to free roam between areas with your full arsenal and unlock previously locked doors.

Funny how journos and "reviewers" never mentioned this Metroidvania-lite aspect of the experience. Then again, 90% of them probably never finished the game to begin with.

EGM1966

C.16 is best. Reports of the big A vary. I found it was around but in what I came to think of as "sedate" mode myself and therefor not too much of a pain. Others have noted it being more challenging.

But that's the point you have all the tools you need to usefully backtrack.

shiba5

Apparently its during Mission 16. Instead of entering the final tram or whatever, you're able to free roam between areas with your full arsenal and unlock previously locked doors.

Funny how journos and "reviewers" never mentioned this Metroidvania-lite aspect of the experience. Then again, 90% of them probably never finished the game to begin with.

So the alien isn't around? Hmm... Guess I should go back and grab all the collectibles.

Oh that facehugger on the Anesidora still makes no sense, but whatever. I guess it decided to hide so it could setup the perfect jump scare later. Yeah...

ummm... hell yea. a truly scary JP focused on exploration and atmosphere would be something else.

i've only played this for a couple hours but i already love it.

lemmykoopa

Booted up the game, was pronpted with 1.02 update and now whenever i take the elevator in my chapter 5 save game the game crashes :-( i tried reinstalling / delete. Rebuild database on the ps4 too. Deleted profile and configuration but it keeps crashing. I don't know if it's because of the 1.02 update. I can't try on the standard patch because the game refuses to load a save game without the patch. Anyone else encountered this? Very pissed right now!

Oh and i loaded an older chapter 4 game and played up until the elevator in chapter 5 and it crashes too.

EGM1966

Booted up the game, was pronpted with 1.02 update and now whenever i take the elevator in my chapter 5 save game the game crashes :-( i tried reinstalling / delete. Rebuild database on the ps4 too. Deleted profile and configuration but it keeps crashing. I don't know if it's because of the 1.02 update. I can't try on the standard patch because the game refuses to load a save game without the patch. Anyone else encountered this? Very pissed right now!

Oh and i loaded an older chapter 4 game and played up until the elevator in chapter 5 and it crashes too.
I got this replaying game and checked their forums. Seems common problem and they're working on it. But of a bummer but advice seems to be wait for another patch rather than trying to continue.

It's a known problem, their twitter feed said they're working on it. I'm gonna avoid playing until then just to be safe

Lrrr

This title was on my Black Friday list but if there's one thing I simply cannot tolerate in a game, it's losing my progress or a crash that prevents me from continuing. Everyone has their own personal deal breakers and that is mine.

RedSwirl

So there is really no physical PC version of this game in North America? I'm really gonna have to download all 35GB of this game?

EGM1966

This title was on my Black Friday list but if there's one thing I simply cannot tolerate in a game, it's losing my progress or a crash that prevents me from continuing. Everyone has their own personal deal breakers and that is mine.
The game was solid crash wise, but patch for some cut scene issues has introduced a bug.

Honestly the game is so good you should get it. They'll clearly fix this as and initially just don't let it update until you know it's fixed.

Bust Nak

It's called Metroidvania if you enjoy it, it's called pacing problem with back tracking if you don't enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

C.16 is best. Reports of the big A vary. I found it was around but in what I came to think of as "sedate" mode myself and therefor not too much of a pain. Others have noted it being more challenging.

But that's the point you have all the tools you need to usefully backtrack.
thanks, guys!

It's called Metroidvania if you enjoy it, it's called pacing problem with back tracking if you don't enjoy it.
I thought the game was really good about never making you cover ground you'd already walked needlessly. There was some intersection, but it was always brief and mixed in with something new. It felt earnt.

Lrrr

The game was solid crash wise, but patch for some cut scene issues has introduced a bug.

Honestly the game is so good you should get it. They'll clearly fix this as and initially just don't let it update until you know it's fixed.

Hmm.

That's very good.

A couple of questions for owners -
- I heard lots of complaints about the A.I. Has it been patched?
- Would you guys say this is a one-and-done type game?

Markitron

That's very good.

A couple of questions for owners -
- I heard lots of complaints about the A.I. Has it been patched?
- Would you guys say this is a one-and-done type game?

- There's nothing wrong with the AI and it doesn't need to be patched. I hate to just accuse reviewers of playing the game wrongly, but they played the game wrongly. Some reviewers claimed the AI was unfair and random, this couldn't be further from the truth. Problem was that these reviewers expected to hide until the Alien goes away, at which point they would be free to explore. The game explicitly tells you in the loading screens not to do this, if you stay in one place the Alien will find you eventually. You are also given abundant materials with which to craft useful items that will distract the Alien, yet these were also barely mentioned in the negative reviews despite the fact that they are incredibly useful. You will learn quickly the hard way that the usual methods of progression in a stealth game will not work here, which is what makes it such a suspenseful experience. These reviews also complained about the game being too long, which is also complete crap. Criticising a game your not enjoying for being too long is fucking ridiculous. It's as long as it needs to be to tell an effective story and make you feel like you have survived a nightmare experience.

- It's a long game, but I started it again immediately after finishing it.

Lrrr

- There's nothing wrong with the AI and it doesn't need to be patched. I hate to just accuse reviewers of playing the game wrongly, but they played the game wrongly. Some reviewers claimed the AI was unfair and random, this couldn't be further from the truth. Problem was that these reviewers expected to hide until the Alien goes away, at which point they would be free to explore. The game explicitly tells you in the loading screens not to do this, if you stay in one place the Alien will find you eventually. You are also given abundant materials with which to craft useful items that will distract the Alien, yet these were also barely mentioned in the negative reviews despite the fact that they are incredibly useful. You will learn quickly the hard way that the usual methods of progression in a stealth game will not work here, which is what makes it such a suspenseful experience. These reviews also complained about the game being too long, which is also complete crap. Criticising a game your not enjoying for being too long is fucking ridiculous. It's as long as it needs to be to tell an effective story and make you feel like you have survived a nightmare experience.

- It's a long game, but I started it again immediately after finishing it.

Thanks for the response. Question - why are you doing a second playthrough? Clearly you enjoyed it, but is there any in-game reason to do so? Is there a NG+ option? Are there different story paths to take?

Markitron

Thanks for the response. Question - why are you doing a second playthrough? Clearly you enjoyed it, but is there any in-game reason to do so? Is there a NG+ option? Are there different story paths to take?

No, it's an entirely linear game and there is no NG+ mode. I started it again for a few reasons. The first and foremost being that I really enjoyed the game and just want to keep playing it. I played it on normal mode the first time and now want to play it on hard (even though there isn't that much of a difference apparently) so that's a factor. I would also like to get the platinum trophy and need a few other random trophies from a second playthrough, as I finished the game with roughly 80% completion. Tbh I would probably be playing Assassins Creed Unity right now if it hadn't turned out to be a technical mess on PS4. To answer your original question, I'd say for most people it's a one time experience that you will want to revisit at some point in the future if you liked it.

Top Bottom