• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Flarin

Oh please. There are HORRIBLY cheesy 90s CG shots of the alien when it's full body running around. I do believe they mixed in a puppet for closeups, but there's definitely some terrible CG in there.

And this is just one reason I don't like the movie. There are others, but I don't want to make the thread about dissecting Alien 3.

From what I understand the shots of the Alien in Alien 3 that look horrible are the Alien puppet in front of a blue screen and then superimposed on live footage. Technology has come a long way since then it would seem, lol.

Google

I love Alien.

I think Aliens is average.

I really like Alien3.

I've never seen Resurrection.

Should I? I've got the Blu Ray Quadrilogy...

But... they weren't impervious to everything. Ash got his block knocked off by... what was it, a bat? And Bishop got split in half by a tail.

I think it was a fire extinguisher. But yeah, heavy blunt force trama seems to do the trick. Granted Ash still freaked for quite some time before he was really put down, head or no.

From what I understand the shots of the Alien in Alien 3 that look horrible are the Alien puppet in front of a blue screen and then superimposed on live footage. Technology has come a long way since then it would seem, lol.

Yeah, unless the making of special features is lying, they used puppets and blue-screen.

supernatural-change.jpg

I don't care how bad this game is as long as it's not another Alien Colonial Marines, I'm getting it.

The only question that remains if I get it along with a Xbox One or PS4.

LowParry

I don't care how bad this game is as long as it's not another Alien Colonial Marines, I'm getting it.

The only question that remains if I get it along with a Xbox One or PS4.

Nothing like CM at all. You're safe from that. We've seen the game in action. Mostly on PS4, mostly. XBO I don't think there is footage that I know of.

Jobbs

Banned

okay, it sounds like you guys were right, no CG. Foolish me.

I think something about the compositing and lighting just gave it this "bad CG" quality that fooled me.

I NEED TO SEE SOME REVIEWS, DAMMIT

So many varied opinions from watching streams, but that really doesn't mean anything. I want to hear from people who have actually played it.

The anticipation is killing me.

Mlatador

Banned
I love Alien.

I think Aliens is average.

I really like Alien3.

Should I? I've got the Blu Ray Quadrilogy...

I was reserved towards watching ressurection myself, but when I finally did it, it wasn't as bad as I expected. It almost felt like an alien comic book adaption.

Trouble

Banned
I'm gonna rent this from Gamefly. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna NOPE and eject the disk and send it back within 10 minutes. I'm a huge wuss when it comes to horror games. This looks too awesome to not try out, though.

Lettuce

Oh please. There are HORRIBLY cheesy 90s CG shots of the alien when it's full body running around. I do believe they mixed in a puppet for closeups, but there's definitely some terrible CG in there.

And this is just one reason I don't like the movie. There are others, but I don't want to make the thread about dissecting Alien 3.

Nah it actually was a small scale puppet they used on a blue screen, and then they superimposed it in the scene they wanted, no GC at all was used

Asbear

Banned
My impressions from the sideline so far, watching Felix' part 1 and 2.

Pros.
- Amazing graphics and atmosphere
- authenticity is off the charts
- music as well
- story seems interesting in premise
- buildup is properly drawn out

Cons.
- protagonist talks to herself which is both cringe worthy and immersionbreaking
- execution of the plot already has a couple of issues
- too many unplayable fps cut scenes and QTEs that get in the way
- unconvincing skybox when you look at the stars outside for example.

I've noticed that my Amazon order still doesnt have a ship date and the order page doesnt mention release day shipping.

Anyone else?

My impressions from the sideline so far, watching Felix' part 1 and 2.

Pros.
- Amazing graphics and atmosphere
- authenticity is off the charts
- music as well
- story seems interesting in premise
- buildup is properly drawn out

Cons.
- protagonist talks to herself which is both cringe worthy and immersionbreaking
- execution of the plot already has a couple of issues
- too many unplayable fps cut scenes and QTEs that get in the way
- unconvincing skybox when you look at the stars outside for example.

So now people make impressions of streams. This is why I don't like streams. In premise I'm glad they exist, but I generally don't like the culture that surrounds it in relation to unreleased games.

Nhutty

Aliens is a franchise that should produce awesome games, but sadly has failed in the past. This looks promising though!

Linconan

Don't watch Resurrection. Please, no.

Unfortunately i'm going to have to disagree with these comments.

Yes i didn't like it at first and thought it was the biggest insult to mankind. lol..
But after multiple watches, i started warming up to it. And, it's ok to watch on it's own.
But in saying that, it's nothing compare to earlier Alien movies.

But i'm still waiting for AvP to hit a soft spot,lol

All need to be watched and rated imo, in order that follows
1) ALIEN
2) ALIENS
3) Alien 3
4) Alien Resurrection
5) Prometheus

and following with great distance..
Avp/2

lol

Asbear

Banned
So now people make impressions of streams. This is why I don't like streams. In premise I'm glad they exist, but I generally don't like the culture that surrounds it in relation to unreleased games.

I usually watch footage of games before I decide to buy them, and typically I can make a pretty good approximation of how it feels and plays just by watching it so it sticks when I actually play them if that makes sense.

And I'm a huge fan of storytelling in games, so much so that if there is a focus on story but it sucks or feels too indulging - like might happen in Isolation - then I feel like I can dodge a bullet by watching other people play it until I know I won't bother.

Streaming culture is nice for seeing people play games that you are pretty sure you don't want to play yourself.

I think he just rage quit because he didn't save.

Ahahahha, I was wondering what happened.

It seems like trial and error if you don't play the game smart, also earlier in that video there were a couple moments where it sounded like there might be facehuggers in the vents.

I hate it when people complain about protagonists talking to themselves, it's not like they are actually talking out loud it's all inside the head of the person you are playing as.

I mean I think it is a nice realistic touch, and I hate it when protags are just silent until you get to the usual cutscene exposition dump.

So, saving is important, good to know.

Atmosphere is brilliant, Alien AI "looks" good, hopefully encounters will get a bit rare over time just to build up the tension.

ezekial45

Banned
Fucking save system is brutal. Is bru-tal.

To be fair, there IS a checkpoint system. You just load mission save on death, and you'll load up the checkpoint (usually after story beats).

However those are so few and far from each other to actually rely on them constantly. The save points is your main save system.

Just finished watching Alien (Director's Cut) for the second time. I first watched it a year or two ago (I was either 16 or 17 at the time, can't remember). Didn't really get it, I got kind of lost with some of the finer plot details and thought it didn't live up to the praise it always gets. But now that I watched it again, WOW, I really loved it. And comparing it to the footage we have of Isolation, it looks like CA has really nailed the tone and aesthetic.

The director's cut of Alien hurts the tension and pacing of the movie. It's an inferior version.

Now go do Alien3 Directors Cut and fall in love with the visuals and tone. It's a glorious movie that deserves better.

What they did to Alien 3's ending is terrible though. I wish I could watch the director's cut with the original ending.

Karak

To be fair, there IS a checkpoint system. You just load mission save on death, and you'll load up the checkpoint (usually after story beats).

However those are so few and far from each other to actually rely on them constantly. The save points is your main save system.

Right.

I think it's a couple feet bigger, unless it's an illusion of perspective. The one in the first movie never really got bigger than about 7 feet tall.
I've been to Giger's museum (in Gruyères) twice. They have a couple of aliens manequins from the original movie on display and I've been shoked at how big the creature actually is. At least 8 feet I'd say. Then again, might just seem biger since it's so intimidating in person.

Top Bottom