• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

ColEx

Was going to get this on PS4, but then decided to get it cheap on PC because it will probably be a one time play through for me. I feel like these types of games don't have that much re-playability to them. Cant wait to play it though!

Was going to get this on PS4, but then decided to get it cheap on PC because it will probably be a 1 time play through for me. I feel like these types of games don't have that much re-playability to them. Cant wait to play it though!

Yeah. First person horror games that follow the formula of being the prey don't have too much replay value to them. I'm still looking forward to playing this.

Yasae

Banned
It's been a very long time since I've seen Alien and Aliens so correct me if I'm wrong, didn't
Amanda die of old age (60s) on earth before Aliens and it's part of the reason Ripley decided to go with Bourke?
(Ellen) Ripley was in hypersleep for 57 years between the events of Alien and Aliens. Amanda reportedly died at the age of 66; her mother is notified of this two years after her death. Technically Amanda Ripley was around 11 years old during the events of Alien, going by this wobbly timeline. This age is referred to in the deleted scene for Aliens.

Canonical or not, this would make her around 26 years old in Alien:Isolation, which is certainly reasonable going by what we see in the game.

F311

Can get this delivered by tomorrow, the only catch? I've gotta order before 12pm bst. Reviews go out at 1 :/

Dilemma!

Linconan

Mines being sent! Whoohoo!
But, it'll arrive on Monday :(
A day earlier than the release date, so who can complain ;)

It's got tracking too,
I hope i get a good reading before it's here.
GIFSoup

Toxa

these gifs remind me of how pretty the first film was:

tumblr_malazvTM071rbdidqo1_1280.gif

]

on blu-ray

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've noticed that there's this group of people that pop up every now and then claiming that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 somehow turns an absolute turd of a movie.

The only problem with that is that Aliens 3 is not a turd of a movie.

Only in the directors cut of aliens is Amanda brought up, and I think someone at CA said that they are ignoring all other alien movies that aren't alien so its still likely that amanda dies in this game.

Not a chance in hell. No way are they going to launch a new franchise with the progeny of its main character and just off her A3 style. Besides, they wouldn't make you go through the entire game avoiding that thing just to die off, and if CA aren't considering Aliens canon with respect to her fate, she's more than likely going to survive.

Even money says the game ends with her having to go into cryosleep, just like her mother, and waking up at some undetermined point down the road.

Jobbs

Banned
It's a turd alien movie. It's basically a prison drama movie featuring alien.

the way they killed off principle characters from the past movie between movies could be considered a ballsy move, but ultimately I just found it to be stupid and lazy. Principle characters deaths were written in service of some movie idea someone had that didn't allow for them to exist.

If you remember Aliens, Newt and Ripley's drive to protect Newt adn all those mommy issues were central to the film. There was palpable relief in them surviving at the end and finally having some peace. Oh BTW Newt died between movies lols. Terrible.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a turd alien movie. It's basically a prison drama movie featuring alien.

Even ignoring the Alien stuff. The prison drama bits elevate above turd move status.

This bit alone is more memorable then 90% of the movies out there.

"I ain't much for begging"
0.jpg

Brilliant.

derFeef

Even ignoring the Alien stuff. The prison drama bits elevate above turd move status.

This bit alone is more memorable then 90% of the movies out there.

"I ain't much for begging"

Brilliant.

I really like that movie, Alien or not. Fincher probably could have made it better with his vision, but it'S still a memorable movie imo.

RAIDEN1

Alien 3 is a hell of a lot better than the dire Alien 4...which was a complete waste of the franchise apart from maybe seeing the Aliens go underwater for the 1st time..

Yasae

Banned
the way they killed off principle characters from the past movie between movies could be considered a ballsy move, but ultimately I just found it to be stupid and lazy. Principle characters deaths were written in service of some movie idea someone had that didn't allow for them to exist.

If you remember Aliens, Newt and Ripley's drive to protect Newt adn all those mommy issues were central to the film. There was palpable relief in them surviving at the end and finally having some peace. Oh BTW Newt died between movies lols. Terrible.
Frankly I don't give a fuck about those characters, but the manner of their deaths was very uh... Screenwriter-y. And there was also the egg! Two scenarios off the bat which people weren't going to buy into much.

Awesome my copy of Isolation has been dispatched!
As soon as I get home tomorrow I'm going to immerse myself in a the first true horror based Alien game. Think I'll watch the original film tonight to get in the mood.

Oh and the DC of Alien 3 is brilliant. The theatrical cut is pretty bad though so avoid that.

TJP

Ehhh... Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but Alien 3 is atrocious.
You can thank Fox for that - writing & rewriting the script whilst shooting the film is like moving the goalposts every minute and the studio rode Fincher - a first time director - like they tried to do to Ridley Scott on Alien. Unfortunately Fincher didn't tell the studio heads to fuck off and stick to his guns like Scott did which is explained in the extras for both films.

A great reason to buy the quadrilogy: the docos for each film are superb.

Yep. Aliens 3 is worth watching just for the visuals alone.

And the soundtrack. Also love how it focus on the human drama / paranoia element and uses the Alien as a backdrop. The DC is about 2.5hrs and a real slow burning pensive horror. Great stuff.

OT - excited to see reviews in the next hour...

The snippet out of that Labyrinth comics.

Holy fuck.

Yeah, pretty messed up and worth a read if you can grab a copy. It's funny, I only came across it in a local library. It was the best, had graphic novels of everything. I wonder if Labyrinth is still there, still in the same town.

Jobbs

Banned
PC > PS4 > XB1 >>> X360/PS3

That will be the entire gen.

pretty much, but it's always an interesting question how the PS4 and XB1 compare specifically, since this can vary. Sometimes they're identical/virtually identical, other times there are quite notable differences (e.g., Tomb Raider DE, which ran 15-20 frames higher on PS4).

She did it her self and I think intentionally. This girl knows her audience. She's like the female DSP and I hear she has 49 plats.

The streamer chose to save at that point. She's pretty awful at the game, but I'm glad she's streaming it.

I'm waiting for the reviews tomorrow, but I'll probably pre order unless they are universally terrible. They got the look down for sure, and that might be enough to make it worthwhile to me.

Okay, that's a huge relief and makes a lot more sense. Thought they'd lost their minds with what looked like a completely broken checkpoint system.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alien 3 extended cut is a great movie.

Top Bottom