• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Meesh

If you want to see Joss Whedon shit all over Alien, go ahead!
Actually, Alien 3 was the catalyst in my mind that propelled the series downward to Whedons' shit level, which he took full advantage of I'd say. But ya, I agree...sadly the shitting continued with Foxs' brainwave AvP series. Since then the "big chap" has never recovered. :( The only two that matter worth a damn are Alien and Aliens to me.

Actually, Alien 3 was the catalyst in my mind that propelled the series downward to Whedons' shit level, which he took full advantage of I'd say. But ya, I agree...sadly the shitting continued with Foxs' brainwave AvP series. Since then the "big chap" has never recovered. :( The only two that matter worth a damn are Alien and Aliens to me.
Well, at least we got good comics out of it.

Aliens Labyrinth had a really chilling look into a person as they're captured in the hive. Been stuck in my head for years.
Aliens_labyrinth1.jpg

f6ff9a7420d1a12274-100.jpg

I just wanna say, for the record... Greenmangaming's search function is fucking broken. Search for "alien" and the first result that shows up is "Sanctum." The second result is "Duke Nukem Forever."

nbthedude

Still waiting for a game as AvP for the Jag was in its place in time. It may not hold up in terms of Fps today but compared to what else was out at the time, it blew away everything else in terms do free form immersion into the world of the license.

Dead

well not really...yet
I actually thought the first one was ok, even though a lot of people hated it. Second one was an embarrassing joke tho
When saying AvP isn't that bad, keep in mind FOX passed over a Cameron/Scott partnership proposed Alien 5 and chose to go ahead with AvP instead.

H2Yo

It's been a very long time since I've seen Alien and Aliens so correct me if I'm wrong, didn't
Amanda die of old age (60s) on earth before Aliens and it's part of the reason Ripley decided to go with Bourke?

It's been a very long time since I've seen Alien and Aliens so correct me if I'm wrong, didn't
Amanda die of old age (60s) on earth before Aliens and it's part of the reason Ripley decided to go with Bourke?

thats what I remember as well, it talks about it in Aliens iirc.

And I hate ur pic

Well, either she makes it through this game or there's some kind of godforsaken retcon on the level of what Colonial Marines did(I'm still awed at how dumb that was). Although I guess that scene was in the DC, have never seen the theatrical version of Aliens

And Alien Resurrection is hilarious in a good way, plus the mutated version of the Alien in the movie is really neat.

JDHarbs

Yes, but for all we know that could have been a cover-up by Wey-Yu which opens up some great possibilities for this series.

Those of you talking about the Alien 3 director's cut...Are you referring to the "Assembly Cut" that came out later? To my knowledge there is no director's cut.

1337Sauce

Getting my hands on a copy tomorrow and I still can't manage to wait through the night. About to start a movie marathon right now. I can't imagine having to have to wait the whole weekend haha.

For anybody that is interested, I should be streaming the Xbox One version at around 12PM EST. However, I may totally switch to the PS4 version last minute haha

Karak

Getting my hands on a copy tomorrow and I still can't manage to wait through the night. About to start a movie marathon right now. I can't imagine having to have to wait the whole weekend haha.

For anybody that is interested, I should be streaming the Xbox One version at around 12PM EST. However, I may totally switch to the PS4 version last minute haha

If you can't wait a ton of stores broke street date for all versions.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Jim Sterling ‏@JimSterling 21 seconds ago
Alien: Isolation review finalized and ready for 8am tomorrow morning.

The embargo is for everyone, buckle your seatbelts crew.

rou021

Will the Steam version support the Oculus Rift? God I hope so after hearing all of those E3 comments about that demo.

Officially? No, not anytime soon. The E3 demo was an internal prototype version of the game. It's basically something they experimented with. Even now, Creative Assembly are still playing around with it, figuring out the best way to use VR. When or if they publicly release a patch/separate VR edition in the future is uncertain.

Unofficially, you can always use an injection driver like vorpX. Don't know how well that will work though. Either way, it's not ideal compared to native support.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Hmm that kinda sucks. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard if they already got it working just to add beta support or something.

Officially? No, not anytime soon. The E3 demo was an internal prototype version of the game. It's basically something they experimented with. Even now, Creative Assembly are still playing around with it, figuring out the best way to use VR. When or if they publicly release a patch/separate VR edition in the future is uncertain.

Unofficially, you can always use an injection driver like vorpX. Don't know how well that will work though. Either way, it's not ideal compared to native support.

I agree I have tried some games with vorpX and its just not the same. What a bummer, I didn't know about the demo being a prototype. Man I hope they release native support.

drotahorror

Oh please. There are HORRIBLY cheesy 90s CG shots of the alien when it's full body running around. I do believe they mixed in a puppet for closeups, but there's definitely some terrible CG in there.

And this is just one reason I don't like the movie. There are others, but I don't want to make the thread about dissecting Alien 3.

Not sure if you're only talking about Alien 3?

If so yeah Alien 3 and 4 had a ton of CGI, both are pretty awful.

Astral

Fuck. I was scared just watching that stream. How the hell am I gonna play this? The alien's footsteps alone are terrifying.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I saw Alien³ recently, like last year for the first time (Directors Cut too). As soon as I saw how quick that cow was impregnated and the burster hatched..... well the rest of the movie wasn't going to get much worse.

Fuck. I was scared just watching that stream. How the hell am I gonna play this? The alien's footsteps alone are terrifying.

Yep, I was the same. Heart was pounding just watching it. I imagine the game is at its best when you are being really slow and deliberate.

I cannot wait to play it, but also oh god I don't want to play it.

Karak

Wait till you hear that crinkle of metal so you decide to hide in a locker and when you do you notice the sound stopped. Oh so that means its gone right?!?
Right?
:)

I would say watching the stream of the whole game kind of ruins the experience of a linear horror game but maybe the unscripted AI doesn't spoil the surprises. That dude who did impressions of the game from vids on previous page though :p

rou021

Despite them aging poorly, the SFX in Alien 3 were actually nominated for an Oscar. The whole process with the puppet and editing it in was pretty impressive at the time (technologically speaking).

^ Hmm that kinda sucks. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard if they already got it working just to add beta support or something.
Yeah, I'm surprised they don't have it as an option at all. It could be that they want to fix some issues and get the VR experience polished before release. Or maybe they want to release a special VR edition (GOTY style) as an Oculus Rift CV launch title. Hell, maybe the game in VR is just too scary and they don't want to be liable for the psychological distress and heart attacks it could cause. Who knows.

Only in the directors cut of aliens is Amanda brought up, and I think someone at CA said that they are ignoring all other alien movies that aren't alien so its still likely that amanda dies in this game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've noticed that there's this group of people that pop up every now and then claiming that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 somehow turns an absolute turd of a movie into a brilliant masterwork.

Some amazing rationalization on their part.

pakkit

Banned
Can you remove that orange glow for items in the options? Takes away from the immersiveness of the game (which is otherwise very well done).

Superflat

Watching some parts of the stream, and I know it was talked about before, but her arm and wrist look weird when climbing ladders, interacting with objects. Looks super thin and strange. Might be a FOV thing.

I've noticed that there's this group of people that pop up every now and then claiming that the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 somehow turns an absolute turd of a movie into a brilliant masterwork.

Some amazing rationalization on their part.

Heh. I gave Alien 3 multiple tries including the Assembly Cut and I still found it hard to get through. It's a decent post-apoco sci fi b-movie at best, but a very bad Alien film when comparing it to the first two. Didn't bother watching Alien Resurrection aside from a few scenes I gleaned from televised broadcasts.

Top Bottom