• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

xBladeM6x

Definitely, there have been times where I've been like "fuck he's found me" but I'll be under a desk or in a locker and after holding my breath for ages and he'll just leave.

There's definitely times when I should've been found but I wasn't. I've definitely lost the Alien post chase, especially if there's a big distance between the moment where he sees me and the time that I hide. (ie. if it's not point blank)

What difficulty?

spannicus

After getting my ass mashed playing on hard I decided to switch to normal. Getting my ass handed to me on normal made me switch to easy. One thing I can say is that if you hang in one place to long I.e a locker, the alien will figure it out after a few pass throughs of the area. One even came into the ducts after me. I move when I cant hear him on the monitor. Even when holding your breath sometimes the alien will snatch your ass out of the locker. Shits fun as heck. Like the ultimate horror game.

Nemesis_

How much of the
Derelict
is explorable?

The mission begins
on the outskirts of the planet. It's really rocky and very windy/blizzardy. You don't have a motion detector or any weapons - instead you have a detector that hones in on a "signal'.

You eventually step through, blow up a rock and you see the space ship in the distance. I can't remember what happens between then and now but I remember the derelict appearing really quickly up close. You enter some corridors and eventually enter a large circular area. In this area is where the Space Jockey is. Your team talks about how it could've been a life form, how it's now dead, and how it appears to be a cockpit.

You're then tasked to turn off the beacon, which is pretty close by. After that, you return to the space jockey as your team has discovered a shaft underneath it. You descend into it, and discover all the eggs. Your colleague touches one of them and dies. The flashback ends.

There's not HEAPS of space to explore and it's rather cock teasish since in this moment your character is moving really slowly because they're in a big space suit so there's not a lot of room to move around or crawl. You just see
the exterior, the creepy ass corridors, the beacon (both working and not working) as well as the space jockey room

Anteater

alienfuckl7y73.gif

hahaha

fuck

Kiyo

Anyone know when this unlocks on Steam? There used to be a timer on the store page but there doesn't seem to be one now. Wondering if I can use a Aus/NZ vpn to unlock it earlier.

Mr. Tibbs

Anyone know when this unlocks on Steam? There used to be a timer on the store page but there doesn't seem to be one now. Wondering if I can use a Aus/NZ vpn to unlock it earlier.

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. The 7th is only 3 & 1/2 hours away.

Edit: I guess not.

Please remember though that the game will not be available to play until midnight, on the dawn of October 7th.
Console gamers, we'll be keeping you posted on when you can start pre-loading so stay tuned to the news and here, on Facebook.

Neff

Seriously though, did you? How good would you say you are at stealth and being patient around the xeno?

I'm serious. He moves so fast (even when walking) and looks around so frequently that crouch movement means you're a sitting duck unless you're out of sight. Obviously running is asking for trouble, but you need the speed of walking just to keep away from him more than you need absolute silence. If you're in the same room as him, you can crouch walk so long as he's completely 100% distracted, ie investigating a sound, playing with a flare, or eating people.

I'm patient enough and have played enough stealth titles to know the advantage of waiting, but when you have to keep jumping in and out of the same locker because the Alien won't go away, it does compel you to take 'unnecessary' risks just so you can move on.

So are you recommending normal over hard? Or is the game worse because of the more stuipd alien?

I honestly can't tell much difference! The Alien seems to have slightly worse eyesight on normal, making encounters with him less frustrating. The Alien shows up in areas on normal that he didn't on hard, and I seem to be dying just as much, so I don't know what they had in mind when creating different settings.

I'm not sure. I just think it's easy, if you know what you're doing, to get the Alien to move somewhere else especially with items like the Noisemakers. Worst case scenario you can craft some smoke bombs and sneak out that way too if he's not leaving a certain area.

I find flares work better on him, I've had him ignore Noisemakers completely. Smoke bombs don't do much in my experience either. Pipe bombs are awesome, don't have a flamethrower yet.

WARP10CK

Banned
I also GIFfed my (and sped up, for effect) my scariest encounter with the Alien thus far. And funnily enough it's one of the randomised ones.

alienfuckl7y73.gif

Ok that looks fucking terrifying christ the fucking thing follows you into the airducts even I need this game ....

Nemesis_

I'm serious. He moves so fast (even when walking) and looks around so frequently that crouch movement means you're a sitting duck unless you're out of sight. Obviously running is asking for trouble, but you need the speed of walking just to keep away from him more than you need absolute silence. If you're in the same room as him, you can crouch walk so long as he's completely 100% distracted, ie investigating a sound, playing with a flare, or eating people.

I'm patient enough and have played enough stealth titles to know the advantage of waiting, but when you have to keep jumping in and out of the same locker because the Alien won't go away, it does compel you to take 'unnecessary' risks just so you can move on.

I've been able to walk past him pretty regularly as long as I do it slowly and while crouching, even when he hasn't been distracted. :/ I do agree though that if you're both in a corridor, it's very hard to walk fast since he has such a greater speed, even when walking, than you. But most times I've been able to duck into another room or another corridor to break the line of sight so he doesn't come after me. It's usually during these moments that I'll turn around and throw something behind him so he'll get distracted and turn around too.

I also find it easier to judge where he is because of Surround sound.

I honestly can't tell much difference! The Alien seems to have slightly worse eyesight on normal, making encounters with him less frustrating. The Alien shows up in areas on normal that he didn't on hard, and I seem to be dying just as much, so I don't know what they had in mind when creating different settings.

It's completely randomised, honestly. Looking at people's achievement order on Xbox Live has them encountering the Alien in an earlier mission than what I did. There are "canon" appearances that are more scripted, but he definitely appears randomly.

I find flares work better on him, I've had him ignore Noisemakers completely. Smoke bombs don't do much in my experience either. Pipe bombs are awesome, don't have a flamethrower yet.

Do Pipe Bombs work on him? I've noticed the description doesn't mention they work well on the Alien so I've been reluctant to use one since they're so expensive to make.

Flares are a good idea, I just don't like the idea of having to light up an area permanently and restrict my movement options. I guess if he's not close enough he won't hear the noisemaker. But I've never had an issue where he's completely ignored one......yet

Ok that looks fucking terrifying christ the fucking thing follows you into the airducts even I need this game ....

Yeah, from what I can tell the game has two "stories" of vents. There's the vents you travel in for whatever reason and they're connected to a higher level of vents that the Alien can use to jump around the level. The player can't access these.

I know this is directly in contradiction to Neff's experiences but I've never felt the Alien "pop up" out of nowhere that he wasn't meant to be. If you follow his blip on the motion detector he's quite clearly jumping from vent to vent, albeit very quickly.

There's also times, like in that GIF, where I've thought the motion detector was picking up the Alien in a neighbouring room, jumped into a vent, and then horrifically realised the Alien was literally in the walls of the same vent I've just entered.

When you think about it, it's an error that should be obvious and easy to avoid (if you work out how far away that blip is and if the wall is indeed that thick) so I also don't find it particularly unfair.

The mission begins
on the outskirts of the planet. It's really rocky and very windy/blizzardy. You don't have a motion detector or any weapons - instead you have a detector that hones in on a "signal'.

You eventually step through, blow up a rock and you see the space ship in the distance. I can't remember what happens between then and now but I remember the derelict appearing really quickly up close. You enter some corridors and eventually enter a large circular area. In this area is where the Space Jockey is. Your team talks about how it could've been a life form, how it's now dead, and how it appears to be a cockpit.

You're then tasked to turn off the beacon, which is pretty close by. After that, you return to the space jockey as your team has discovered a shaft underneath it. You descend into it, and discover all the eggs. Your colleague touches one of them and dies. The flashback ends.

There's not HEAPS of space to explore and it's rather cock teasish since in this moment your character is moving really slowly because they're in a big space suit so there's not a lot of room to move around or crawl. You just see
the exterior, the creepy ass corridors, the beacon (both working and not working) as well as the space jockey room

Damn that really is a tease but still, it sounds excellent and a nice little portion to play especially for the fans.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

Also, does the design of the
Derelict
mirror the first movie or the one from Prometheus?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how long do you think we'll be waiting for the AMD codes? I should be easily able to wait a few days but I'm bummed at missing the bonus content from the preorder - which I assume will be a paid DLC later on?

tempted to buy from the B/S/T thread or GMG and then sell my code when it arrives, but that would be stupid, right?

Nemesis_

Also, does the design of the
Derelict
mirror the first movie or the one from Prometheus?

I definitely got an
Alien vibe from it rather than a Prometheus one. Similarly, the space jockey was super big. Like huge, I don't remember it being that big in Prometheus. Makes me wonder if FOX cared about continuity or anything regarding it.

I'll do a proper run through and upload it when I get a chance next. I'm just endeavouring to finish the single player at the moment so I'm a bit busy.

And for anyone wondering, there's optional collectibles hidden away called NOSTROMO Logs. I've only found one, but I assume there are quite a few as achievements are tied to them.

They're a great throwback for fans of the original film - here's one of them I recorded just as a sample: http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...s556&vid=ee55db6f-7ed4-45cc-8ebd-615f8dc04991

how long do you think we'll be waiting for the AMD codes? I should be easily able to wait a few days but I'm bummed at missing the bonus content from the preorder - which I assume will be a paid DLC later on?

tempted to buy from the B/S/T thread or GMG and then sell my code when it arrives, but that would be stupid, right?

I caught myself thinking the same thing, but I can't. That's just what they want you to do, man.

For what it's worth, they were also late delivering the Murdered: Soul Suspect codes when that game came out. I think it took a day or two until the codes were delivered.

I definitely got an
Alien vibe from it rather than a Prometheus one. Similarly, the space jockey was super big. Like huge, I don't remember it being that big in Prometheus. Makes me wonder if FOX cared about continuity or anything regarding it.

I'll do a proper run through and upload it when I get a chance next. I'm just endeavouring to finish the single player at the moment so I'm a bit busy.

And for anyone wondering, there's optional collectibles hidden away called NOSTROMO Logs. I've only found one, but I assume there are quite a few as achievements are tied to them.

They're a great throwback for fans of the original film - here's one of them I recorded just as a sample: http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...s556&vid=ee55db6f-7ed4-45cc-8ebd-615f8dc04991

Oh man that makes me so hyped, the ones from Prometheus were cool but it needed more of the Giger aesthetic, it didn't have enough of that biomechanical flair.

It's good to hear, it sounds like this is the Alien game we've all been waiting for in regards to a lot of things(aesthetics, design principle, sound, tone).

I'll have to jump in when I have money, which is usually never lol.

Smash88

Banned
Okay one thing I want to know, is there a reason why the developers didn't include the motion detector from Aliens that beeps. I'm just curious why they opted for the non-sound motion detector.

derFeef

Okay one thing I want to know, is there a reason why the developers didn't include the motion detector from Aliens that beeps. I'm just curious why they opted for the non-sound motion detector.

I guess it's not appropriate for stealth sections since it's making sounds the alien should hear. And maybe canon.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that considering Aliens takes place 50 years after the events of the first movie, and this game takes place only 15 years after the events of the first movie, it probably hasn't even been invented yet or the fact that it could be Colonial Marine gear that engineers and scientists and civilians wouldn't have access to.

But I'm going to go with, it hasn't canonically been invented yet.

Nemesis_

It does beep? Or am I missing something? It's been a long time since I've seen Aliens >_>

kubus

It does beep?
Maybe you watched a PS4 stream? The beeps come from the controller speaker.

Norci7

Because the game is based on Alien, not Aliens. That simple.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm so psyched for this game. Because I'm going to play it in VR with VorpX, I'm actually nervous about playing it. Like I feel like I'm having to mentally prepare for something that should be terrifying.

I've never felt this way about a game before.

Nemesis_

That motion tracker isn't even in the original Alien. It first appeared in the sequel.

Ripley specifically says when she picks it up "Some kind of motion tracker, it's been heavily modified".

Guess that's how they explain it.

Neff, I've just picked up the Level 2 Noisemaker blueprint. Much louder noise that lasts for longer too.

One thing I will say I don't like about this game is that there is no way to determine if someone is friendly or not. I am currently playing it like a murderer, so I'm killing most humans I come across. I found some in a lobby, snuck up on them, and then killed them only to be sent to a game over screen.

Similarly, I've been sneaking around this one area where an Android was patrolling trying to avoid his line of sight so the Alien doesn't appear either. Suddenly I fuck up, and he sees me, but he just says "hello" to me or something and walks off. Considering every other Android has been the complete opposite, it was relaxing if not annoying I wasted so much time, haha.

Also worth noting I've not made a single sound in this one mission and while I can hear the Alien in the vents he hasn't appeared on the actual game floor once.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I've seen some of the stream this weekend and the game looks amazing. It realy has some of the Alien movie vibes.

The graphics are look also really good!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Postman been,and still nothing
WTF GAME you posted it last week!?

AHA-Lambda

Any word on how many missions are in this? I'm trying to divide my playtime effectiv so I can finish it before the evil within comes out xD

Shopping at GAME, the one retailer who respects street dates. What do you expect?

From past experience GAME are actually really good at get games in early if you buy them online.
I remember get Uncharted 2, Deadly Premonition and Demon's Souls from them early.

valkyre

I've seen some of the stream this weekend and the game looks amazing. It realy has some of the Alien movie vibes.

The graphics are look also really good!

Τhe only thing that gfx lacks is anti alliasing. Every stream or video I watch has a lot of jaggies, but maybe it is just the quality of the streams/videos, dont know.

I really badly want to play this game but I don't think I can because of my inherent fear of a xenomorph hunting me around a map without so much as a pulse rifle to protect me. I may just play the first few sections of the game where I assume there is no Alien? and see how I go haha

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Last Survivor is available now and is playable. Crew Expendable is locked (presumably until the game goes up). It's installed on my system, but is behaving like a locked pre-order. Xbox One.

Anyway, just finished up Mission 9 I think. Pretty fantastic and atmospheric missions. I took a few screenshots of it, I know a few people had questions about this. But it's also spoileriffic so don't click if you want to be truly surprised. I do know some people were hanging out to see this kind of stuff make an appearance, though.

DONT CLICK IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE SPOILED I WARNED YOU (although honestly it's not a huge part of the story)

SERIOUSLY CONSIDER WHAT YOU ARE DONT

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-11swzxf.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-11kryyh.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-11ulxxa.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-129jp5h.png

By the way, I'd totally do a stream of Last Survivor for you guys but for some reason Twitch won't let me. But it will for other games.....is the Twitch app really that smart?

I also GIFfed my (and sped up, for effect) my scariest encounter with the Alien thus far. And funnily enough it's one of the randomised ones.

alienfuckl7y73.gif
Are these part of the Nostromo edition you can pre purchase on XB1? I had this pre purchased on XB1 but cancelled it (second time doing that lol), but now after this I really want to get it again... I just don't really enjoy horror/survival games but LOVE the Alien movie... I'm so conflicted!
They mostly deliver early, mostly
/dead

hepburn3d

Ripley specifically says when she picks it up "Some kind of motion tracker, it's been heavily modified".

Guess that's how they explain it.

Neff, I've just picked up the Level 2 Noisemaker blueprint. Much louder noise that lasts for longer too.

One thing I will say I don't like about this game is that there is no way to determine if someone is friendly or not. I am currently playing it like a murderer, so I'm killing most humans I come across. I found some in a lobby, snuck up on them, and then killed them only to be sent to a game over screen.

Similarly, I've been sneaking around this one area where an Android was patrolling trying to avoid his line of sight so the Alien doesn't appear either. Suddenly I fuck up, and he sees me, but he just says "hello" to me or something and walks off. Considering every other Android has been the complete opposite, it was relaxing if not annoying I wasted so much time, haha.

Also worth noting I've not made a single sound in this one mission and while I can hear the Alien in the vents he hasn't appeared on the actual game floor once.

That would add to the experience for me. not knowing who is and isn't friendly. Although it would be better that if you killed friendly the game didn't go "game over" but more gave a consequence :D would make you think through your encounters in a careful way. Like reveal yourself but in a way where you can escape quickly

Mask

Changed my Xbox One region to New Zealand and nothing's happened. Just says to buy it again instead of the "play it on 07/10/14" it usually has.

Top Bottom