• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

vpance

Not to be that guy, but how is this particular complaint any different than Demons/Dark Souls where you pretty much get killed by cheaply-placed enemies which you'd never see on a first playthrough?

I was actually going to contrast it with a Souls game. Since you brought it up, at least in Souls I'm playing in 3rd person and can easily peek around my surroundings, and have relative safety with a shield. With this game I can see it's on a whole other level of frustration because each time you restart the checkpoint the alien will be in a different place, take a different route or whatever, which is fine. But if you're going to make a game like that then placing an insta kill enemy right behind a door is incredibly shit design, especially when you just spent 10 min or whatever trying to be stealthy and strategize. It's a major buzz kill. The game seems to be a lot of trial and error without skill being able to overcome the hurdles.

CHC

Just got Nostromo edition via B/T/S thread (first time using). $26, already pre-loading.

Can't wait to get spooked come Tuesday!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Why do guns not hurt the Alien?

Probably a game system based around dodging the Alien's biology. In the movie they're basing this off of, they didn't want to shoot it in the event that the acidic blood would eat through the hull and compromise the ship as the facehugger did. This is easy to keep track of in the film but not so easy to implement into a game. So they probably just opted for "fuck it, bullets can't hurt it"

Blinck

Not to be that guy, but how is this particular complaint any different than Demons/Dark Souls where you pretty much get killed by cheaply-placed enemies which you'd never see on a first playthrough?

Can you give an example of a "cheaply-placed enemy which you'd never see" from either of those 2 games?

The only enemy like that would be the mimic, and that's if you don't play online - if you do, there will be 500 signs warning you beforehand. It's also not a 1shot kill unless you aren't full health.

Neff

Regretstation 4 hahaha. Amazing name considering your posts here. Are you liking the game more in medium difficulty?

The name is a private joke only people who know me will get. I love all Playstations and despite mocking its initial failings quite a bit I don't regret buying PS4 one bit. It's fantastic.

And, um, for some reason normal is actually harder in the earlier sections than they were on hard, lol. More Alien appearances for one thing.

Nemesis_

Just got a Molotov blueprint. Alien becomes much more manageable after that point I reckon, it forces him to retreat pretty fast.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The name is a private joke only people who know me will get. I love all Playstations and despite mocking its initial failings quite a bit I don't regret buying PS4 one bit. It's fantastic.

And, um, for some reason normal is actually harder in the earlier sections than they were on hard, lol. More Alien appearances for one thing.

Oh, no, I didn't mean you didn't like the PS4, kinda meant your posts on this thread in particular. And interesting thing about the difficulty too. Hope it gets better!

So assuming that everyone playing it now is in Europe somewhere and happened to get a physical copy at somewhere that broke the street date?

Really hoping it can be VPN unlocked tomorrow, the wait is killing me.

Astral

So assuming that everyone playing it now is in Europe somewhere and happened to get a physical copy at somewhere that broke the street date?

Really hoping it can be VPN unlocked tomorrow, the wait is killing me.

I feel you. I'm planning on rewatching the first two movies so I can at least kill a good three hours.

H2Yo

After reading some reviews, it seems the thing that hinders the game is the sheer about of encounters by the alien. Otherwise, it's a brilliant game.

Could a patch not remove a share of these encounters thus making the game better?

After reading some reviews, it seems the thing that hinders the game is the sheer about of encounters by the alien. Otherwise, it's a brilliant game.

Could a patch not remove a share of these encounters thus making the game better?

Hmm, I doubt it, maybe a PC mod could do it but I don't know if that's the problem everyone is having or if it's just a personal opinion on the matter, I don't think they would change the full game after the fact though.

I feel with how much this question gets asked, it should be part of every OT's subtitle from now on lol.

xD

I just asked 'cause the pc benchmarks are crazy for this game and so I thought it could be 60 at least on ps4.

No silly "if it's 30 I won't play it" thing from me ;)

Neff

I'd say this is exactly right. The game is great except for the Alien himself who is just a massive, massive asshole. He looks awesome, moves great, makes all the right Alien-y noises, but for some reason the game abandons the movie's portrayal of an effortless, inconspicuous shadowy killer, instead making him a relentless, hyper-active marathon runner who has decided that you're his most favourite thing in the world and never leaves you alone.

I've played a few hours on normal, and the Alien is a little more pleasingly sedate and stupid than he is on hard, but the game is still choc-full of his seemingly random behaviour flits and sudden impossible appearances. Your first encounter is harrowing, thrilling, and a sweet relief when it's over. But it isn't over. It starts again. And again. You do get a chance to breathe and stretch your legs with a little Alien-free time eventually before he turns up again, but only after you've died about 20 times in one area. There's a very fragile balance to crafting a satisfying horror game, and Alien Isolation comes so close, but screws up its focal component, and forgets the most important element of a horror game- yes, it's supposed to be bleak, scary and intimidating, but it's also supposed to be fun. When the Alien is around, it's not, sadly.

It's possible. Do we have direct-feed PS4 shots, preferably not horribly compressed ?

I've uploaded some to the PS4/Bone/Wii U screenshot thread here.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd say this is exactly right. The game is great except for the Alien himself who is just a massive, massive asshole. He looks awesome, moves great, makes all the right Alien-y noises, but for some reason the game abandons the movie's portrayal of an effortless, inconspicuous shadowy killer, instead making him a relentless, hyper-active marathon runner who has decided that you're his most favourite thing in the world and never leaves you alone.

I've played a few hours on normal, and the Alien is a little more pleasingly sedate and stupid than he is on hard, but the game is still choc-full of his seemingly random behaviour flits and sudden impossible appearances. Your first encounter is harrowing, thrilling, and a sweet relief when it's over. But it isn't over. It starts again. And again. You do get a chance to breathe and stretch your legs with a little Alien-free time eventually before he turns up again, but only after you've died about 20 times in one area. There's a very fragile balance to crafting a satisfying horror game, and Alien Isolation comes so close, but screws up its focal component, and forgets the most important element of a horror game- yes, it's supposed to be bleak, scary and intimidating, but it's also supposed to be fun. When the Alien is around, it's not, sadly.

Did you try crouch-walking?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm sure somebody in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread can hook you up.

This shit is getting out of control. Shady as fuck. Hopefully steam shuts it down soon. Any mention of wanting a game for cheaper and people are getting private messages from guys wanting to sell their Russian keys or whatever international trading thing they are doing on the cheap. There must be a whole load of viral sellers on these boards trying to make a business out of the key selling thing. Rubs me the wrong way.

Neff

Did you try crouch-walking?

It won't make any difference.

ApVn9C.jpg

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This shit is getting out of control. Shady as fuck. Hopefully steam shuts it down soon. Any mention of wanting a game for cheaper and people are getting private messages from guys wanting to sell their Russian keys or whatever international trading thing they are doing on the cheap. There must be a whole load of viral sellers on these boards trying to make a business out of the key selling thing. Rubs me the wrong way.

I've bought tons of Steam games from sellers in the B/S/T thread. If it weren't for them, I would've had to wait months to play Isolation. For those of us with tight gaming budgets, they're incredibly helpful.

Bought a copy from dmix90 for $25.99. I think it's the third of fourth thing I've bought from him, and I will continue to hit him up when I'm looking for something new. Guy is quick and almost always offers the best deal.

I reserved this at a local library. Hopefully they'll get it in in good time.

I'm not confident enough that I'll like it to spend money on it, because of the slightly mixed reviews and its stealth focus.

I've uploaded some to the PS4/Bone/Wii U screenshot thread here.

Sooo can you try it on easy now? Lol. I know the xeno is probably still an unbalanced death machine on that too but I wanna believe there's a way to play this without feeling janked so often by the alien.

Top Bottom