• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Sephzilla

Since Steam is unlocking a little early someone should go pester a local Wal-Mart or Gamestop to see if physical copy street dates were broken

Dash_

For Alien watch the theatrical cut. In my opinion, outside of once scene, the director's cut adds little to nothing and kind of wrecks the pacing of the movie.

Aliens is the one that warrants watching the director's cut.

I mostly agree with this. The problem I have with the director's cut for Aliens is that the segments on the colony pre-alien infestation ruin the tension and the mystery of what happened to it compared to the theatrical cut. But then the theatrical cut should never have cut the scene of Ripley learning about Amanda's death back at the start. It's important context with regards to her relationship with Newt.

Sephzilla

I mostly agree with this. The problem I have with the director's cut for Aliens is that the segments on the colony pre-alien infestation ruin the tension and the mystery of what happened to it compared to the theatrical cut. But then the theatrical cut should never have cut the scene of Ripley learning about Amanda's death back at the start. It's important context with regards to her relationship with Newt.

Agreed. The scene where Newt's parents find the alien ship is the one scene from the directors cut I would remove. The movie benefits greatly from never seeing Hadley's Hope until after everything goes down because then you experience the same feelings the characters are supposed to be going through.

I fucking wish I just purchased this game and spent my free AMD key on somthing else, fuck waiting. I just know AMD could release the key now but I'm waiting for someone asshole to start work somewhere around the world so he can press the unlock button or some shit.

Agreed. The scene where Newt's parents find the alien ship is the one scene from the directors cut I would remove. The movie benefits greatly from never seeing Hadley's Hope until after everything goes down because then you experience the same feelings the characters are supposed to be going through.

Reading this I am just now realizing that I have never once seen anything other then the director's cut. I can't imagine the movie without the scene with Newt's parents or without Ripley learning of Amanda.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I wonder if Gamestop is throwing a tantrum and now pulling the nuclear option, refusing to stock Sega games.

GavinUK86

Reading this I am just now realizing that I have never once seen anything other then the director's cut. I can't imagine the movie without the scene with Newt's parents or without Ripley learning of Amanda.

In relation to this game the DC works better with the scenes about Amanda.

Catdaddy

Steam is showing a release date of 10/6/2014 now. Called Gamestop, appears at least the one I use, isn't selling early... but they are having a midnight launch...

Be nice to get my hands on it tonight, but working late next couple of days; so can't play much until later in the week.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've never seen the director's cut for Aliens and only with this post am I finding out about these extra scenes. I watched Aliens last night in preparation for this game but now I think I'm gonna have to check out the director's cut or at least just see these extra scenes somewhere.

I'm really, really tempted to get this, and the pre-order bonus is tempting too. I'm a huge Alien/Aliens fan. The problem is I was unbelievably bored with Amnesia, Slender, and SCP. I liked Outlast though. It had good pacing and interesting environments, and the mechanics of hiding were clearly defined, meaning there wasn't as much guesswork associated with escaping. I'm probably gonna have to wait for more impressions from people who liked Outlast, but not other non-combat horror games.

PC version running and looking pretty good on max settings at 1600p.
15272782769_99080751ba_o.png

15459548045_8847f3f9f8_o.png

15272981537_6b4ee069b2_o.png

spannicus

I'm really, really tempted to get this, and the pre-order bonus is tempting too. I'm a huge Alien/Aliens fan. The problem is I was unbelievably bored with Amnesia, Slender, and SCP. I liked Outlast though. It had good pacing and interesting environments, and the mechanics of hiding were clearly defined, meaning there wasn't as much guesswork associated with escaping. I'm probably gonna have to wait for more impressions from people who liked Outlast, but not other non-combat horror games.

Loved Outlast but this game is much scarier than Outlast. Intense the whole way through. Especially when you hear the Alien crawling around in the Vents. The music the sounds in the game, all superb. Hehe. Damn, those PC screens.

pottuvoi

Banned
There seems to be Engine config file
SteamApps\common\Alien Isolation\DATA\ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML

Haven't had really time to do any testing, but you can change values like shadow map resolution etc.
New quality name is visible within game config, do not know if the INT value actually works though.)

AsfaeksBR

Wait, how much does it cost?
My steam is showing R$55, which is around $22, and the Season Pass is for $4.
Was it always like this, or is it a price error?

Carm

Wasn't the Last Survivor dlc suppose to be Gamestop exclusive? Does the pc version just come with it when preordered, because it's in my list and playable along with crew expendable or whatever.

jfoul

The game unlocked for me on Steam around 11am EST. I immediately started up Crew Expendable. 7.1 surround sound is killing me right now. I have watched this movie so many times. Why am I so scared!?

Steam is showing a release date of 10/6/2014 now. Called Gamestop, appears at least the one I use, isn't selling early... but they are having a midnight launch...

Be nice to get my hands on it tonight, but working late next couple of days; so can't play much until later in the week.

Gamestop is doing a midnight launch for this?

Catdaddy

Gamestop is doing a midnight launch for this?

My local one is, not sure about others. I asked one of the employees for another game that they weren't having a release and they said they only do the midnight launches if the pre-orders reach a certain level with Alien... So either it hit that level or there is another popular game being released tomorrow.

Top Bottom