• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

ok, I need help. I have a 1260x720 monitor and apparently the game's resolution is running higher than that because when I launch the game it displays unsupported. I tried using the launch options from steam but the ususal (setting to windowed, -w 1280, etc) doesn't work. so....help?

edit: got it fixed. thank you OBS!

Lime

Quick question: Should I re-watch Alien before starting this game just to get in the mood? Or should I just dive straight into it?

xbox digital just unlocked for me

Don't toy with my emotions boy! I skipped my classes because I'm sick so if this is the real deal, my day will be redeemed.

*Edit* Fuck. "You're Too Early! We know you really wanted to get started, but you'll have to wait a bit longer. Check the store for the launch date."

Catdaddy

Quick question: Should I re-watch Alien before starting this game just to get in the mood? Or should I just dive straight into it?

If you haven't seen it in a while then yeah. I watched it over the weekend, been a couple of years since I've seen it.

I'd suggest re-watching ALIEN, for a couple reasons

1) It's always a good idea to re-watch ALIEN
2) It'll remind you that the xenomorph in that movie isn't the general purpose monster-bug from the following movie. There are similarities, yeah, but there's things the Alien does back in 79 that they don't really do in ALIENS or even Alien 3.

Yum.

iyWEEvrfelWpH.png

Is anyone with a single GPU rinning the game @4K?

I have a 680 (and an i7-2600k at 4.5) and tested it at 4k. Runs at about 30-40fps with everything maxed out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PC port seems pretty great. Everything set to ultra + HDAO/SMAA T2X and I get locked 60 fps at 1080p so far on an Nvidia 760 + i5 2500k combo. That makes me very excited to test 4k when I eventually pick up a pair of 970s.

The FOV slider goes up to absudly fisheye settings too lol.

Lime

Thanks for the replies. Yeah i might as well watch it and be patient with playing the game.

Alien 1 is still my favorite Alien film by far and prefer it much more to Cameron's Vietnam in space. Scott is in his prime and the ambience, pacing and set design are impeccable. I can't believe it's from 1979.

Faith

I'm still not sure if I should pay full price (found a Steam key for 35$) or wait till Steam Winter Sales or something like that.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone post a screenshot of the video settings menu?
Edit: nvm, was just posted in PC performance thread.

Seth

Are there any differences between the ps4 and xbox one version? Apart from any graphical/fps/resolution stuff.

Krejlooc

Banned
lol @ steam breaking the release date

I'm playing the ever loving shit out of this tonight. Gotta get ready for a live stream tomorrow.

kubus

Are there any differences between the ps4 and xbox one version? Apart from any graphical/fps/resolution stuff.
Don't think so. Both support head tracking (for peeking over cover/around corners) and noise detection (enemies can discover you if make noise), but obviously the Xbox One version used Kinect for these features, and the PS4 the PS Camera.

Seth

Don't think so. Both support head tracking (for peeking over cover/around corners) and noise detection (enemies can discover you if make noise), but obviously the Xbox One version used Kinect for these features, and the PS4 the PS Camera.

Considering getting the xbox one version for the kinect stuff since i don't have a ps camera. I wonder if either of the kinect features are worth it or if they would just get annoying.

kubus

Considering getting the xbox one version for the kinect stuff since i don't have a ps camera. I wonder if either of the kinect features are worth it or if they would just get annoying.
Noise detection is... quite useless. You're not gonna scream or anything while playing the game and it would only be annoying if you died because your phone started ringing or something.

The only situation I can imagine where noise detection actually adds something to the experience is when you're playing with someone. I'm playing the game together with my boyfriend and we actually have noise detection enabled, so when the alien is around and we want to say something to each other, we have to whisper :p. I guess that makes every situation feel slightly more tense.

Head tracking works surprisingly well but after a couple of hours we turned it off. When things get heated it's faster to just use the buttons.

Lrrr

I'd say this is exactly right. The game is great except for the Alien himself who is just a massive, massive asshole. He looks awesome, moves great, makes all the right Alien-y noises, but for some reason the game abandons the movie's portrayal of an effortless, inconspicuous shadowy killer, instead making him a relentless, hyper-active marathon runner who has decided that you're his most favourite thing in the world and never leaves you alone.

I've played a few hours on normal, and the Alien is a little more pleasingly sedate and stupid than he is on hard, but the game is still choc-full of his seemingly random behaviour flits and sudden impossible appearances. Your first encounter is harrowing, thrilling, and a sweet relief when it's over. But it isn't over. It starts again. And again. You do get a chance to breathe and stretch your legs with a little Alien-free time eventually before he turns up again, but only after you've died about 20 times in one area. There's a very fragile balance to crafting a satisfying horror game, and Alien Isolation comes so close, but screws up its focal component, and forgets the most important element of a horror game- yes, it's supposed to be bleak, scary and intimidating, but it's also supposed to be fun. When the Alien is around, it's not, sadly.

This is a wonderfully succinct explanation of the core mechanic as it directly relates to gameplay. Thank you so much for this insight because I was on the fence on this title, but now I have an idea of how it feels to play and the word that comes to my mind is relentless. Tension is great, especially for a movie, but even then breaks are required so that it doesn't become exhausting. I think I'll wait for a sale.

Top Bottom