• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

jfoul

I've played for about 2 hours. The story, voice acting and atmosphere are all top notch. So far, it's a slow burn while keeping up the tension. The game is easing me into the inevitability of pooping my pants with fright. I suggest playing the main story before hitting "Crew Expendable", unless you want to be thrust into a high tension scenario.

hlhbk

Anyone know how to bypass the opening stuff that is there each time you start the game (20th century fox, Creative Assembly, and AMD)?

So it sounds like the game doesn't have Oculus support after all? They demoed the hell out of the game with the Oculus, I guess I was a bit overzealous to assume they'd have support for an unreleased product in the final game.

So it sounds like the game doesn't have Oculus support after all? They demoed the hell out of the game with the Oculus, I guess I was a bit overzealous to assume they'd have support for an unreleased product in the final game.

It was never announced to have actual OR support. What they talked about was just a demo of it and said it wouldn't be in the final version

Could be added in later down the line (which it should) but they were always clear on the fact it wouldn't be there at launch

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to start the Crew Expendable DLC/level first and then have that lead into the main game.

I picked Dallas' character and I'm currently crawling around vents with a flamethrower. You can make the alien run away by blasting it with a dose of flame (but not kill it). However I'm nearly out of fuel and I'm fucking shitting it :(

Regardless of how well/how much I like the full game the absolute love for Alien is just standout and extremely apparent. The menus, the intro 20th Century logo, the set design within the game etc. These guys love Alien and I really appreciate that, especially after Colonial fucking Marines.

Spookie

This game so far is totally not what I expected. But the visuals, sound and story all feel, for a lack of a better word, correct. I know it sounds daft, but, even the lighting is adding to the experience! Considering this was made by a team who make Total War it boggles my mind how well this, both runs, and looks.

Neff

This is a wonderfully succinct explanation of the core mechanic as it directly relates to gameplay. Thank you so much for this insight because I was on the fence on this title, but now I have an idea of how it feels to play and the word that comes to my mind is relentless. Tension is great, especially for a movie, but even then breaks are required so that it doesn't become exhausting. I think I'll wait for a sale.

I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from buying the game. Yes, the Alien is annoying, but everything else the game does is so good that it almost doesn't matter. The fact that such an old-school game managed to get itself made is also something to be celebrated in itself. If you're a glass half full kind of guy and/or an Alien/horror game fan, it's still a solid title.

xBladeM6x

How is the Anti-Aliasing in Alien Isolation on PC? I'm curious because if it's eh, then I'll see if I can force it through the control panel.

How is the Anti-Aliasing in Alien Isolation on PC? I'm curious because if it's eh, then I'll see if I can force it through the control panel.
FXAA, SMAA T1x and SMAA T2x.

Downsample and use SMAA.
Is it true there's no Oculus Rift support despite all the early promotion?
They've said multiple times that there wasn't going to be support in the final game. They were testing it and may add it in the future.

Krejlooc

Banned
Is this Rift compatible? If so I fear people may be killed by death in genuine life.

Is it true there's no Oculus Rift support despite all the early promotion?

No, but the rift implementation they showed off was simple headtracking, no positional tracking of limbs. That can be done easily with VorpX, which is how I'll be playing the game.

I'll be live streaming the game on dual feeds tuesday wednesday with 2 of my buddies. One feed will be the duplicated output of the OR so people can see what we're seeing, the other will be a webcam fixed to the currently-playing person's face so you guys can see our horrified reactions.

It has arrived! Digging in tonight.

MgO8brpl.jpg

Played about 2 and a half hours. The alien has arrived, but I haven't had a 1v1 encounter yet. I think I saved and stopped right before the first proper alien encounter. Thus far I have to say I am really, really impressed. The slow build up and subsequent reveal of the alien is superb. The visuals, sound design, and general atmosphere could not be better. It's basically flawless in that department. Voice acting isn't great, but that's fine. There isn't too much of it so far. The creaking and groaning of the ship, the music, the alien scurrying around in the vents, all sound amazing. I am very much looking forward to playing a whole lot more of it.

reminds me of dead space in some areas. really loving it so far
I get that vibe too. It's so interesting that a few hours after the PC thread unlocked not many people posted. I guess everyone is either playing or in the tweakers thread. I can't never seem to get MSI afterburner to display FPS. Should've kept FRAPS installed..
WTF. 2 questions. How do I use my med kit I just built and how do I put the flare away?
Yeah that's super annoying to me. You press R to use an item I believe, hold for the med kit. But no clue how to holster it once selected.

I'm lost looking for some piece of equipment to open doors. No real clue where I'm going.

edit. I resent loading screen tips that spoil the game. Here's some tips for areas of the game you haven't even been to yet. Enjoy.

Spookie

First hour spoilers:
I totally didn't know there would be people alive on the ship. STOP FUCKING SHOOTING AT ME.

Truant

I went from GOD THIS IS AMAZING THE ATMOSPHERE THE PRODUCTION VALUES to this is just terrible.

Then the game started and the first stealth part is seriously the worst stealth gameplay I have ever played. What a terrible way to itroduce the very base mechanic of a game to new players. I'm playing on easy and it's impossible to get anywhere without the omnipotent AI spotting me. I haven't even gotten to the damn alien!

BigDes

I went from GOD THIS IS AMAZING THE ATMOSPHERE THE PRODUCTION VALUES to this is just terrible.

Then the game started and the first stealth part is seriously the worst stealth gameplay I have ever played. What a terrible way to itroduce the very base mechanic of a game to new players. I'm playing on easy and it's impossible to get anywhere without the omnipotent AI spotting me. I haven't even gotten to the damn alien!

I've not had a problem with the AI spotting me, I was about to complain it was too generous. I'm playing on medium and I walked in between two androids and neither of them noticed me

Just from watching the walkthroughs on youtube the game looks great but the voice acting isn't the greatest. The writing also feels pretty sub-par which doesn't help. I think I'm gonna hold off on this one until it drops to a cool $40. Shouldn't take too long with everything else this is gonna get buried under and the holidays quickly approaching.

Amazon should be bringing it tomorrow cause I'm a Prime.

Good to hear the positive impressions. I hope CA gets to take a crack at another Alien/Aliens game. Hell, they could probably do something more interesting with the Engineers than Ridley Scott if they wanted to.

Huh that's weird.
I didn't pre-order it because I found the price to be a little too high for me right now.
Now suddenly the game is selling at Steam for 55 Reais(about 23 US dollars), so I bought it.
Was it some mistake by Steam?

spannicus

Lol u must suck bro. Didnt have this problem with the androids. If youre getting spotted its u not the game. Step yo game up.

Lrrr

I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from buying the game. Yes, the Alien is annoying, but everything else the game does is so good that it almost doesn't matter. The fact that such an old-school game managed to get itself made is also something to be celebrated in itself. If you're a glass half full kind of guy and/or an Alien/horror game fan, it's still a solid title.

I'm a huge fan of Alien, but $60 is a lot for a game that may have little-to-no no replay value. I'm sure that first playthrough is exhilarating, but scripted sequences, as well as a relentless nemesis, are only effective once. Like I said, I'll get the game, but I'll wait for a sale (perhaps Black Friday). There's no way I won't play this game at some point. :)

Arkanius

To play with controller, or KB/M. Hmmmm.

Keyboard definitely
Loving the game so far and I'm still in the intro

I tried playing Crew Expendables first... die like a bitch
Every time

As an Alien fan, this is a dream made true

And this engine... Creative Assemble are fucking wizards. It's an inhouse solution and they talk about it like they hacked it together just because so.

Silky smooth and it's the best visuals I've seen in a Survival Horror game

Ulysses 31

Kinda sucks they went with the floating arms approach here. There's some nice lighting and shadow effects and passing by a bright light source doesn't show anything that you're there in the environment.

Oh hey, this is neat:

So the Launch Trailer song is 'Red' by Mirel Wagner. Googling more, here's an interview excerpt:

http://www.rookiemag.com/2014/08/mirel-wager-the-dirt/

What kind of movies did you like growing up?

I’ve been into horror movies for as long as I can remember. One that made a huge impression on me when I was small was Alien. It’s one of my horror and science fiction favorites. Sometimes I feel like those genres don’t get enough credit, because people just see the monsters and assume [the movie] is immature. For me, [horror and science fiction movies] have always been about people. They deal with dark issues like our fears and our inner demons—things that I find interesting.

Alien is one of the best movies ever in terms of having a strong female lead. You don’t really see movies like it anymore!

No, you don’t. That character made a huge impact on me when I was small.

Wonder if someone at CA or Sega read this interview and found the song. It's a perfect fit.

Gonna buy her album now. Really love that song.

Just completed the first alien encounter.

Dear lord that was nerve wracking. Almost snuck up on me twice but my surround headphones tipped me off. Really enjoying the game so far.

Anybody else not able to play the game on Steam, despite it being unlocked? I have been looking at this screen for ten minutes now. My Internet is working fine.

BzSqwuECEAA0idq.png

Krejlooc

Banned
Kinda sucks they went with the floating arms approach here. There's some nice lighting and shadow effects and passing by a bright light source doesn't show anything that you're there in the environment.

I was under the impression that this game used a lot of baked, static lighting.

Top Bottom