• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Truant

Alright, stealth isn't too bad, after I played some more. My main gripe is that it's hard to tell if you're hidden or not. Sometimes I can almost stand upright in front of someone, other times I can be crouched in a shadow, and an anroid will just grab me and kill me.

I always play stealth games like this:

1. Get a feel for the area.
2. Take out enemies one by one. Preferably permanent takedowns such as knockouts or kills.
3. Explore and loot.
4. Do the mission/quest.

This game is completely different. As far as I know there's no way to one-hit kill androids or humans silently. Any tips? I now just avoid enemies completely as they're a fucking pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe I'll find some new equipment later on. I got some EMP mines, although they're just a temp stun.

The way the stealth is communicated makes me not want to explore the world.

The alien is a major douche. He always seems to just casually stroll down tight hallways in my direction.

Joeku

Weird, I swore I preordered this on PS4 (being Canadian and getting next-gen for $50 with E3 deals, yay). However I have no package and no order history at FutureShop. Whoops.

PC is the way I'd rather go, anyway. I know it's release day but are there any deals on the game anywhere?

Also, anyone playing on PC with a controller? I'm normally a mouse and keyboard guy for first-person games but having a stick to control slow movements seems better. How's the controller play?

spannicus

Alright, stealth isn't too bad, after I played some more. My main gripe is that it's hard to tell if you're hidden or not. Sometimes I can almost stand upright in front of someone, other times I can be crouched in a shadow, and an anroid will just grab me and kill me.

I always play stealth games like this:

1. Get a feel for the area.
2. Take out enemies one by one. Preferably permanent takedowns such as knockouts or kills.
3. Explore and loot.
4. Do the mission/quest.

This game is completely different. As far as I know there's no way to one-hit kill androids or humans silently. Any tips? I now just avoid enemies completely as they're a fucking pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe I'll find some new equipment later on. I got some EMP mines, although they're just a temp stun.

The way the stealth is communicated makes me not want to explore the world.

The alien is a major douche. He always seems to just casually stroll down tight hallways in my direction.
There are stun Batons that knock human enemies out with one hit, or you can creep behind them and whack them twice with the hammer. Androids I think can only be killed with fire, nothing I've tried has worked otherwise. Loud weapons just draw the Aliens attention. Android aren't that bad. You can distance yourself from them and they will forget you are there, thats if you find a decent spot to hide for a few seconds. Keep trying, the game isn't perfect but, its an amazing experience. Also you can use the Alien to your advantage by throwing anything loud into the area where the humans are, then running like hell or hiding

Krejlooc

Banned
So far, when I launch Aliens Isolation in VR using VorpX, it crashes as soon as the game actually loads, and the menus are pretty fubar. Gonna try VireIO next.

Krejlooc

Banned
Progress! got it displaying through the rift right now, but it's not in stereoscopy, just a single large screen across both eyes. Headtracking is enabled, though.

Just had a small session with the game. Played about 80 minutes and finished the first 2 missions. Having a pretty good time so far and constantly in a state of terror, but I'm usually pretty bad with horror games. PC port seems solid so far, everything maxed out and stable 60fps on my OC'd 2500k and GTX 980.

Hopefully I can push through the fear and keep playing and hopefully it keeps up the momentum. Kind of hope the rumour of the game being like 15 hours long is wrong though.

Guys, which FOV are you guys playing at? Just found out that with FOV at 75 I don't see the player body anymore. But 47 and 55 are just so fucking zoomed in

I'm playing at 75. Didn't even try it at anything else, immediately shifted it when I saw it had a FOV slider. Not too bothered about not seeing the character though, I hate low FOVs in games.

Krejlooc

Banned
I got it working! It only worked for a brief moment, then I hit the vorpX menu key and it all broke. But for a split second, it completely worked! I was playing the game in VR with full headtracking!

Please don't say this is too scary. Alien Isolation will be the first ever horror game I've purchased new on release in my life because I rarely finish them. Silent Hill and Fatal Frame scared the shit out of me just from the atmosphere alone.

Might play with the light on tonite. And my security blanket.

You're a better man than me. I'll be lurking in the thread and watching streams, because I don't do scary games at all. Love Alien the movie, but it scared the fuck out of me as a kid and I just know this game would give me full on cardiac arrest.

DukeBobby

Hopefully I can push through the fear and keep playing and hopefully it keeps up the momentum. Kind of hope the rumour of the game being like 15 hours long is wrong though.

Well, there are
chapters, so I'm guessing it's close to that length.

You're a better man than me. I'll be lurking in the thread and watching streams, because I don't do scary games at all. Love Alien the movie, but it scared the fuck out of me as a kid and I just know this game would give me full on cardiac arrest.

I don't do scary games either, but I keep buying them for some reason. I've had the game paused most of the time.

Razorback

Boo. We need a fix.

I doubt there will be a fix. It's probably by design.

If you had the POV slider all the way to the left, either the camera clips through the body, or you'll be able to see that the arms aren't attached to the body or something,

What the fuck, Amazon.ca. They have no idea if it's shipping to me tomorrow or not. Prime is useless. My Orders page says shipping on the 16th, and this person I'm talking to is no help at all to clarify this.

Ozium

Are PC people playing with a kb/m or a controller? I've heard that kb/m is unwieldy but would like to hear people's opinions

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wait what i didnt realize this was releasing today. I thought it was tomorrow! Went to preload it and its ready to play. When did it release?

Spoo

Getting some serious Dead Spce vibes off this, which I guess was modeled after Alien to begin with

Yeah, it's kind of like Dead Space, System Shock 2 had a baby while TLoUs crafting system was watching it all happen. It has a really solid gameplay loop. I am playing on hard and loving how brutal it is -- the Alien has never once done anything "cheap" to me -- there's some random-ish events that can really set the alien off (doors opening / closing, kicking stuff around), but every time I've died in the game it's been a fair death all else being equal.

The atmosphere in the game is perfect. I am just loving the fuck out of how stressful the game is, how beautiful it is (on PC at least), and just how good it feels to have this pretty massive game with a lot of really cool systems in it you wouldn't normally expect to find (the crafting and hacking/power rerouting stuff is great, and there's a lot of places to explore if you are brave enough).

Also (not a huge spoiler):
Alien in the fucking vents godDAMN

MattyG

Banned
I can't get a good mouse sensitivity and it's driving me nuts. I either feel like I'm turning super fast or like I'm fighting to turn.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hey Jacksepticeye

pH5xGBN.jpg

You brave enough?

Just had a bit of a marathon session on this. I don't think I've ever been on such a heightened sense of alert for such an extended period of time.

Gameplay-wise it's reminding me of Outlast a lot, just with tools and crafting which pretty much makes it better.

Top Bottom