• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Lime

Okay as an Alien 1 fan. This is the definitive Alien video game so far. Unless CA completely fumbles the last part of the game, this is like a dream Alien game in terms of horror and reliance of the Alien being all-powerful, along with exceptional aesthetics and great sound design.

taoofjord

Just saw some PC vs PS4 comparison video CVG did but it looks like they screwed up the contrast. There's no way the PS4 version will look that washed out. Anyone know of a reliable source for how the PS4 version compares? Or are we just waiting on Digital Foundry's eventual article on it?

RedAssedApe

Banned
how long is the actual game?

footage i've seen so far looks great...except the
android
thing...that kind of...uhhh. i dunno, some of that stuff also looked as silly as the stabby stabby gif from wolfenstein

Skyzard

Banned
This game is so fucking hard. I can't even make it past the encounter with the regular old
humans!

Took me ages.

Sorry about that, to whoever was watching.

I'm pretty certain I'm at the point where he's around now. Crawled to the save spot and got the fuck out of the game :p

Lettuce

God DAMN, the Crew Expendable DLC is tense.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-DmHONm5Io&feature=youtu.be

I played Dallas and didnt even last 10 minutes, i didnt want to move was paralysed with dread!!!

Am i right in think each of the 3 characters have different campaigns??..

Dallas has to seal the bulk heads in the ventilation ducks

Parker has to stock up with the oxygen tanks

Ripley has to set the self destruct

~Kinggi~

Banned
Good glorious god CA are tech wizards. Please put this engine on everything. So many ultra options running at over 100 fps on a 770 lol. Game looks amazing.

Am i right in think each of the 3 characters have different campaigns??..

Dallas has to seal the bulk heads in the ventilation ducks

Parker has to stock up with the oxygen tanks

Ripley has to set the self destruct

I am pretty sure it is the same for all three characters. I loaded it up briefly and played as Ripley and the first objective was to seal ventilation ducts.

Lettuce

I am pretty sure it is the same for all three characters. I loaded it up briefly and played as Ripley and the first objective was to seal ventilation ducts.

ah damn thats a shame, begs the question whats the point of having 3 characters to play if nothings different

Two hours into the game on Normal and I'm loving it. So pleased I sat down and re-watched Alien last night - totally worth it as there is so much fan service and attention to detail here. I'd say this is a must-have if you are a fan of the films. I played Alien 3 on the Mega Drive and Alien Trilogy on the PS1 when I was younger. This is first Alien game I have played since those and it's quite a step up!

Add to that, my four year old GPU is running it on Ultra with no sweat! It looks incredible, the lighting and atmosphere are so spot on with the films.

I first encountered
the Alien waiting for the train thing to appear at the terminal. The tense music started playing and I just kinda, crouched in the corner next to the gate and shat myself. When it appeared, I didn't realise you had to press A after getting on board. I turned around for some reason and it was at that point I saw it gunning for me. Proper pooped myself.

Skyzard

Banned
ucDNAGE.jpg

I caved. I caved hard. I had a digital Xbox One pre-order but I'd have no time to play tomorrow night and the download wouldn't finish in time so I went to the closest GameStop off Campus and pre-ordered a 360 version to get at midnight.

I'm... I'm so weak.

TheCalGee

What the fuck, Amazon.ca. They have no idea if it's shipping to me tomorrow or not. Prime is useless. My Orders page says shipping on the 16th, and this person I'm talking to is no help at all to clarify this.

I had the exact same experience. Cancelled my preorder with Amazon last week because of this. They told me the late shipping date was because they weren't sure if they'll have this title in stock on the release day.

Picking it up tomorrow at EB instead. If I'd seen you were ordering from Amazon earlier I'd have said something, sorry dude.

spannicus

I caved. I caved hard. I had a digital Xbox One pre-order but I'd have no time to play tomorrow night and the download wouldn't finish in time so I went to the closest GameStop off Campus and pre-ordered a 360 version to get at midnight.

I'm... I'm so weak.

It be's like that sometimes. haha

My dad hasn't bought a game for himself in a very, very long time. Technically the last game he bought for himself was Gears of War, but he had been away from recent gaming so long before that even, so I don't think he enjoyed it. Well before Alien: Isolation it was gears.

Alien is one of his favorite movies and series', he even loved Prometheus. He bought a pretty nice tower about a week ago and yesterday his Gaming Headset came in the mail, so he was happy and surprised to see he was already able to download before work today.

When did the game become available? Is easy mode actually easy? It would be sad to see him turned off on this game due to the difficulty. Last game he was really into was Mario 64, his GOAT, so he's just not accustomed to 3D games and especially not FPS games. He tops me any day at a game of Street Fighter II or Magician Lord though.

Holy shit. I just got to the first proper Alien encounter, where it is stalking you 1 on 1 and it is literally paralyzing. I don't do tons of horror, but I got this because I am a huge Alien fan and this is utterly terrifying. Like I just am sitting here hiding in a locker listening to it jumping up into the vents and running around the vents and realizing that I never, ever want to leave this locker.

I think that is a huge, huge compliment to the game. Don't know how I am going to get through this.

Oni Jazar

Anyone having a problem trying to order the PS4 version now? I tried on the system, on Chrome and on my iPhone with no luck. Get errors every time. Edit: Nevermind it's my Credit Card.

GavinUK86

I've just come to the conclusion that it isn't the Alien that's scary to me, it's the idea of losing your progress and restarting 10 minutes ago after you went round and read all those emails. The xenomorph might aswell be a giant pink cuddly bear and I would still feel the same.

Krejlooc

Banned
Man, it sounds and looks like survival horror fits Alien way better than the crappy action games ever did. This is legitimately an awesome game.

Nemesis_

The Xbox One version is pretty good, I haven't noticed any dips barring the cutscenes (which are allegedly a problem for everybody on every platform).

The game also uses Kinect for head tracking and noise detection - so if you want you can move your head to peek around a corner instead of holding LB and doing it. You can also yell shit at Kinect to create a distraction, but I don't find it particularly practical considering all the others tools the game gives you to do the same thing.

On the rare occasion that you'll actually be shooting stuff, it also uses the impulse triggers rather well.

orava

This game is very tempting but i'd really like to wait and play it with oculus rift. Does the game support it out of the box?

orborborb

I was pretty excited about how they planned on recreating the look and sound of the first movie in every detail. But despite committing fully to the idea, I don't think they had high enough standards. The feel is just not right, too much of the environment has that plastic Ubisoft contracted-art sheen to it.

But it's also possible I'm exaggerating because I'm so disappointed that their CRT monitor filter looks NOTHING like the real thing.

Skyzard

Banned
Holy shit. I just got to the first proper Alien encounter, where it is stalking you 1 on 1 and it is literally paralyzing. I don't do tons of horror, but I got this because I am a huge Alien fan and this is utterly terrifying. Like I just am sitting here hiding in a locker listening to it jumping up into the vents and running around the vents and realizing that I never, ever want to leave this locker.

I think that is a huge, huge compliment to the game. Don't know how I am going to get through this.

I knew this would happen with me too. And it still does, but just having a couple people watching you play via twitch really does help.

That feeling of not leaving the locker...had the same thing...but it doesn't make good entertainment.

The Xbox One version is pretty good, I haven't noticed any dips barring the cutscenes (which are allegedly a problem for everybody on every platform).

The game also uses Kinect for head tracking and noise detection - so if you want you can move your head to peek around a corner instead of holding LB and doing it. You can also yell shit at Kinect to create a distraction, but I don't find it particularly practical considering all the others tools the game gives you to do the same thing.

On the rare occasion that you'll actually be shooting stuff, it also uses the impulse triggers rather well.

Damn. I went for the PS4 version, wondering if this stuff is worth a change. I love impulse triggers.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Been watching all day on Twitch. Game looks like a blast, save the retarded human AI that just sort of stands around like zombies or some such.

No lies told.

Playing this on a theater setup is going to ruin me. lol. The sound design is pure fukkery. Hearing shit in the walls had me stressed just watching a stream with headphones on.

Lime

I was pretty excited about how they planned on recreating the look and sound of the first movie in every detail. But despite committing fully to the idea, I don't think they had high enough standards. The feel is just not right, too much of the environment has that plastic Ubisoft contracted-art sheen to it.

But it's also possible I'm exaggerating because I'm so disappointed that their CRT monitor filter looks NOTHING like the real thing.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your first statement. I literally just watched the film before playing the game and they really nailed the aestethics with lighting, smoke, architecture, little things cluttered around. There's a lot of attention to detail and it really really fits the Alien aesthetics, imo.

Hawk269

Damn. I went for the PS4 version, wondering if this stuff is worth a change. I love impulse triggers.

In light of the shit storm in the Assassins Creed Unity Thread about resolution, any word on the resolution of the Xbox One version?

To the person that has the xbox one version is it 30 or 60fps?

Skyzard

Banned
I wholeheartedly disagree with your first statement. I literally just watched the film before playing the game and they really nailed the aestethics with lighting, smoke, architecture, little things cluttered around. There's a lot of attention to detail and it really really fits the Alien aesthetics, imo.

I did the same, in fact it was my first time watching it yesterday, it looks awesome.

GavinUK86

I can't wait for a pc trainer that'll allow you to freeze the alien in place so you can go around investigating every nook and cranny without the whiff of death around every corner.

I knew this would happen with me too. And it still does, but just having a couple people watching you play via twitch really does help.

That feeling of not leaving the locker...had the same thing...but it doesn't make good entertainment.

I suspect playing it with even one other person around will help greatly. Plus I am probably going to be switching to PS4 (for the bigger screen and surround sound) and that might make it easier. Right now it's dark, I am a foot and a half from my monitor, my headphones are on, I can hear it in the vents, and I am never leaving this locker. NEVER!

Skyzard

Banned
I can't wait for a pc trainer that'll allow you to freeze the alien in place so you can go around investigating every nook and cranny without the whiff of death around every corner.

Yes please.

I suspect playing it with even one other person around will help greatly. Plus I am probably going to be switching to PS4 (for the bigger screen and surround sound) and that might make it easier. Right now it's dark, I am a foot and a half from my monitor, my headphones are on, I can hear it in the vents, and I am never leaving this locker. NEVER!

I hear you man.

Besides the lockers have tonnes of space...although I heard a rumour the alien gets pretty nosy after a while...

sorry! :p

Nemesis_

I don't think so. The Xbox One version has impulse triggers but the PS4 version has something even better that I didn't realise - the motion detector plays through your DualShock 4 speaker. To me, that's a much better gimmick than impulse triggers since there's little to no combat in this game were the triggers will be used to such an effect.

They're both incredibly minor things, mind you, but yeah, if I was getting it on PS4, I'd stick with PS4. I don't think I got it for any particular reason on Xbox One. Maybe because the green cover matched well with the green case? :p haha, honestly, there was no reason why I went with it. I just did.

In light of the shit storm in the Assassins Creed Unity Thread about resolution, any word on the resolution of the Xbox One version?

To the person that has the xbox one version is it 30 or 60fps?

It's definitely 30fps. I'm not sure about resolution because quite frankly I don't care but I'm sure there's a thread somewhere that goes through all that stuff. Previous reports confirm 1080p for both but apparently it's not clear if they're talking native or upscaled.

I really don't care though, it's not like I'm noticing anything wrong with it.

spannicus

you can do that, you just gotta be careful. Thats the best part of the game, the FEAR.

Krejlooc

Banned

Imagine this, but in VR. You can't turn away from your screen. its all around you, inches from your face.

Fuck.

Top Bottom