• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

-Deimos

So I'm still in the beginning of the game terrified the alien will show up at any moment. Is the initial meeting scripted or can he show up at any random time?

Jedi2016

This game is terrifying and I haven't even seen the alien yet. They nailed the atmosphere. And the SOUND. Headphones, cranked, only way to fly.

What's everyone using for screenshots on PC? Fraps gave me some really weird messed up art prints, but nothing usable. Does it have a built in screenshot key? I didn't even try, I figured Fraps would pick it up okay.

Krejlooc

Banned
This game is terrifying and I haven't even seen the alien yet. They nailed the atmosphere. And the SOUND. Headphones, cranked, only way to fly.

What's everyone using for screenshots on PC? Fraps gave me some really weird messed up art prints, but nothing usable. Does it have a built in screenshot key? I didn't even try, I figured Fraps would pick it up okay.

good old print-screen.

Skyzard

Banned

It could be the TV noise the game adds? There is a slider for it in video options.

I always use fraps for screens. It's pretty basic (really basic for the price tbh, esp with nvidia shadowplay being much less resource demanding on the video side), but never gives me dodgy shots.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's sooooooooooo good

Love it. CA should do a full action Alien(s) game at this point.

I'd say let Team Yakuza try an action aliens game. They have people who made Shinobi, Binary Domain, and Yakuza on their staff.

Then let CA make a horror-themed Ecco the Dolphin title.

Er...wow, not sure how to feel about the events near the end. I mean, (obvious large spoiler warning)
am I forgetting some part of the films? I didn't know Aliens could survive just fine in a vacuum? I guess I could accept ultimate killing machine, but surviving the ridiculous temperature swings of space despite running away from a flamethrower seems a bit much.

Will delete if there's a spoiler thread I'm not seeing...

Steam screenshot key. I just set it to save an uncompressed copy and use that one.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm watching twitch streams of this game trying to get hyped for tomorrow when my copy shows up and the most depressing thing I'm seeing is the comments section. I was unaware that so many people have never seen Alien!

SZips

I'm over 3 hours into it and well, it's not exactly frightening. The atmosphere and sound design are top notch, save for Ripley's voice acting. There was just one instance where I jumped a bit and that was thanks to an Android sidling up to me Creepy Watson style after I turned around from looking at something. Still a ton better than Colonial Marines at least and maybe this picks up the tension and scares a bit as I dive in deeper.

Krejlooc

Banned
I want a Classic Friday the 13th game just like this. Nighttime, raining in the woods at Camp Crystal Lake. Mmmmmmm

Even though I just pined for a horror-themed Ecco game, I would love to see CA stretch their legs. Everyone knew they could make awesome RTS games, it appears they can make good horror games too. I wonder what other genres that studio would be good at making.

Dead

well not really...yet
Picking up the game tonight. Went to pay off my preorder at gamestop and had wondered why there was a midnight opening for this and drive club

apparently some sports game is out as well lol

PureYeti

So I'm watching twitch streams of this game trying to get hyped for tomorrow when my copy shows up and the most depressing thing I'm seeing is the comments section. I was unaware that so many people have never seen Alien!

Yea that makes me sad lol

-MD-

You guys think this is the kinda game you can play halfway through, drop it for awhile and came back with no problem?

Verger

Banned
Wow! I have not seen the Alien or any enemy yet, but this opening is amazing. One of the best game openings I've seen for a long time. It's not easy to do, because starting off with no action and slowly building up things can easily turn off a lot of people and thus devs are usually loathe to do it (despite healthy precedents for such openings with Half Life and others).

It really does feel like an Alien movie.

As has been said so often, they simply nailed the atmosphere. This is a game that you really really need to play with headphones (or have a damn good sound system) to appreciate it. Such a big part of the immersive experience is how they captured those ambient sounds from the film and nailed their execution. The visuals help as well, the environment really takes after the 1970's Sci-Fi look Alien had (no fancy-looking tech) and really complements everything.

The presentation values are definitely there and this is definitely shaping up to be the best game of the "Alien" franchise.

On a side note. Openings and settings like this make me long for more games like Dead Space. I'd love it if a developer would make a game where you have to go explore a Sci-Fi ghost ship (like Event Horizon).
In the rewire boxes, what's the pro/con from turning on/off the cameras?
I haven't gotten here yet. But I thought I remembered someone on this forum mentioning that the Cameras follow you and make noise as they do so. So it could perhaps be beneficial to shut them off so they don't make noise to attract the Alien (if this is the case)

carlsojo

Presentation is A+ so far, I'm surprised my computer can run it so well. This game reminds me of Dead Space in the best way (in the same way Dead Space made me think of Aliens)!

shuri

Banned
Well, What I've learned so far: There's always a convenient vent available if a door gets locked or the path is blocked. Always!

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game has a bunch of little gadgets and gizmos you can press A on and activate. Its like remnants of old-school pc games.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I don't really understand the rewire boxes. I get you can open a previously locked door with some but what's the O2 bit? I can't tell any difference.

It seems like turning off the O2 purifiers can create areas of dense smoke that you can use to sneak around in.

Imagine this, but in VR. You can't turn away from your screen. its all around you, inches from your face.

Fuck.

Tried it at E3. Not for the faint of heart, haha. While visuals are a major portion to succeed in survival. The most terrifying part was the audio.

Currently installing my copy on PS3. Excited! ...Fuck you, Prometheus >=(

I just ran into the alien for the first time. *eep*

image.php

Trickster

I don't really understand the rewire boxes. I get you can open a previously locked door with some but what's the O2 bit? I can't tell any difference.

O2 I think is the air purification right? That seems to case "smoke" to appear at vent near the O2 marker on the map, which makes it harder to see, I imagine that could be used to make an escape easier

So, do I get the Xbox One version of this or the Ps4? I like achievements more but I also have 50$ credit for the psn.. Not to infer I won't be getting many more games this holiday anyway..

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So, do I get the Xbox One version of this or the Ps4? I like achievements more but I also have 50$ credit for the psn.. Not to infer I won't be getting many more games this holiday anyway..
Earlier, Nemesis was discussing the only major difference: in the PS4 version, the sound of your motion tracker comes through the controller. The Xbox One utilizes the vibrating triggers, but you won't be triggering it very often.

Krejlooc

Banned
Fuck.That. NOPE. Underwater Horror? Sharks with the Same AI as the alien? THE MUFFLED SOUND OF BEING UNDERWATER?!?!?

Fuck. That.

Sitting in a corner, waiting for this to pass for you to proceed:

EXiLTk4.png

Except, unlike the lockers in Alien Insolation, you have an air timer this time.

Jrs3000

Earlier, Nemesis was discussing the only major difference: in the PS4 version, the sound of your motion tracker comes through the controller. The Xbox One utilizes the vibrating triggers, but you won't be triggering it very often.

There's also something with kinect tracking that someone mentioned. Leaning and looking around I think.

Did he mention if there was any difference graphically?

Top Bottom