• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Wow! I have not seen the Alien or any enemy yet, but this opening is amazing. One of the best game openings I've seen for a long time. It's not easy to do, because starting off with no action and slowly building up things can easily turn off a lot of people and thus devs are usually loathe to do it (despite healthy precedents for such openings with Half Life and others).

It really does feel like an Alien movie.

As has been said so often, they simply nailed the atmosphere. This is a game that you really really need to play with headphones (or have a damn good sound system) to appreciate it. Such a big part of the immersive experience is how they captured those ambient sounds from the film and nailed their execution. The visuals help as well, the environment really takes after the 1970's Sci-Fi look Alien had (no fancy-looking tech) and really complements everything.

The presentation values are definitely there and this is definitely shaping up to be the best game of the "Alien" franchise.

On a side note. Openings and settings like this make me long for more games like Dead Space. I'd love it if a developer would make a game where you have to go explore a Sci-Fi ghost ship (like Event Horizon).

I haven't gotten here yet. But I thought I remembered someone on this forum mentioning that the Cameras follow you and make noise as they do so. So it could perhaps be beneficial to shut them off so they don't make noise to attract the Alien (if this is the case)

That intro is beautiful... ;_;

For anyone wondering, PS3 version doesn't look as bad as the screenshots posted. Frame rate also appears fine.

Way too busy with Skylanders, Mordor, DriveClub and another game to pick this up this week via rental.

Maybe in December or something.

Hopefully most of the impressions are good.

Skyzard

Banned
Don't get in an elevator with one of these guys:

sIC8wmV.jpg

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There's also something with kinect tracking that someone mentioned. Leaning and looking around I think.
Oh, that would be cool if it worked well. I don't think I've ever used leaning as much as I have in this game.
Did he mention if there was any difference graphically?

I think they're supposed to be the same. Everything I've seen of the console versions looks excellent. Aside from some shimmering jaggies even when downsampled and with the highest AA settings applied, I'm really pleased with it on PC.

Oh man, I didn't know you could hold your breath when the alien gets really close and is investigating a locker or something similar. By the time I had read the hint about holding RMB to hold your breath he'd gotten me.

I've spent more then an hour on the very first proper alien encounter, where it is stalking you. Going so slow and cautious. The game is going to be like 40 hours long though if I continue at this pace.

Skyzard

Banned
First time I saw it come up to me I thought I was a goner, instantly hit escape.

Then I thought, lets see if the framerate drops while I get killed like someone mentions...he just walks RIGHT BY me and up through a vent in the roof. I was in shock.

Haven't seen him since.

Oh, that would be cool if it worked well. I don't think I've ever used leaning as much as I have in this game.

I think they're supposed to be the same. Everything I've seen of the console versions looks excellent. Aside from some shimmering jaggies even when downsampled and with the highest AA settings applied, I'm really pleased with it on PC.

Thanks for that.

From what I've seen from the PC version it looks amazing but I'll have to stick with the console versions.

The tracker keeps picking up something right next to me. I can hear something rustling above me when I move. Not sure if I should keep moving.

Trickster

Anyone know if the alien will react to the beeping of the motion tracker? Just got discovered while hiding in a locker while my motion tracker was beeping like crazy

The tracker keeps picking up something right next to me. I can hear something rustling above me when I move. Not sure if I should keep moving.

The alien will move around and get picked up by the motion tracker even if it's isn't out in the open. I had a section where I could see that it kept crawling back and forth in straight lines really quickly and making a lot of noise. I imagine that if situations like that occur, you don't want to start running around and making a lot of noise. At least it never crawled out of any vents in that particular instance ( still not that far ), and I was only moving around crouched

No, just get in a locker and stay there forever. You'll eventually learn to sleep standing up without issue. All will be fine.

Anyone know if the alien will react to the beeping of the motion tracker? Just got discovered while hiding in a locker while my motion tracker was beeping like crazy

Pretty sure they do hear it, but only when very close.

Skyzard

Banned
If people see you go through a vent, and that vent leads to a dead end...when you come back a bullet awaits you :p At least so far in my experience (once).

Curious myself about the beeping but apparently holding your breath while in the locker works well.

Teggy

On a scale of Resident Evil 4 to oops I peed my pants, how scary are people finding the game? I can handle a Dead Space like experience but I don't think I'm down for an Outlast/PT kind of thing right now.

Akibared

Picked up my copy time to play in the dark with my headphones!

On a scale of Resident Evil 4 to oops I peed my pants, how scary are people finding the game? I can handle a Dead Space like experience but I don't think I'm down for an Outlast/PT kind of thing right now.

Based off of this thread the fear levels sounds like Outlast/PT which makes me very happy I need a good next gen horror game.

Verger

Banned
Still in the opening but the setting and sounds are already adding to the tension.

Id imagine if you're looking for something like Dead Space then you'll be best served to really check out The Evil Within in a week :)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Oh it was close lol, could hear it breathing, sounded like it was half a meter from me and then BAM

Yeah, it definitely heard your tracker. If you've gotten his attention while you're in a closet, push down on the left stick. You'll lean back farther and be harder to spot.

Oh it was close lol, could hear it breathing, sounded like it was half a meter from me and then BAM

Yep, when it's that close you need to be completely silent, even have to hold your breath sometimes.

I love how vital the sound is in this game. So rarely do games utilize sound so well. It's basically it's own mechanic. You get so much information from listening to the sounds coming from all around you. I also really appreciate that the alien can hear so well. The tiny little stressed out breaths of Ripley are enough for it to get you. So good.

JINYX

Neo Member
Played through the opening hour or so, I've almost broken down already and I haven't seen an enemy yet. sogood.gif

Having a nasty issue on PC. Ran fine the first time, got a surprisingly poor framerate in the first room, alt tabbed out to find if it was a serious problem (I saw that others had experienced this and it's apparently isolated?), it crashed, now it crashes on boot with a black screen with the reported fault module being gameoverlayrenderer.dll, which is related to the Steam overlay. I tried disabling the overlay, same result. Need help.

EDIT: Works if I rename gameoverlayrenderer.dll. It's an annoyance, so I'd still appreciate advice on how to get the game working with the overlay, but it's not as urgent.

GameSpot similarly. And it was one of my most trusted reviewers. But then I've not played the game much so, who knows. 6 isn't bad. It's above average or 'OK'.

This stealth and horror genres aren't for everyone, that's for sure. Which is why I understand the pretty polarizing reviews.

Does headshotting an android with the revolver kill it instantly? If so, I have an easy way to get out of the mess I have created.

EDIT: can confirm it is useless.

Played for less than 30min. Need to sleep.

So far: Wonderful atmosphere, great audio, and art direction.

Man is the framerate in those cutscenes bad though. They should really patch that. I can see the criticism of lip syncing too but it isn't a sync issue the animation is just a little wonky.

Will play more tomorrow night, I'm already excited to do so!

Played about an hour in when you get the hacking tool near the elevator then my interest dropped off significantly.

I love the entire Alien franchise and have played every game based on it but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting into this.

Could it be because I'm going into it knowing the whole "You can't hurt it, just run and hide!" gimmick?

The Evil Within on the other hand has my hyped as hell.

Top Bottom