• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought someone said earlier the leaning system supports Kinect. Even with the controller it's by far the best leaning system I've seen in a game tho.

it's basically just Dishonoured's system, right?

Anyone know if Kinect is integrated with this game?

To my understanding both Kinect and the Sony camera thing for PS4 support leaning tracking and sound detection. So if you are screaming like a baby in your living room when the alien is near, it'll hear that.

It sounds pretty cool actually.

JMizzlin

Anyone know if Kinect is integrated with this game?

As komplanen said, head tracking is implemented.
Also, voice tracking! If you make any loud sounds (ie: shrieks or screams) Kinect can pick it up and it'll alert enemies to your presence.

I've only played with the latter and luckily haven't alerted anything.. yet.

Verger

Banned
They did say that the AI is designed in such a way that the alien learns from your behaviour, so perhaps you should try hiding in different places for a while. I often wonder if this is one of the problems reviewers didn't understand either. 'I bet she's under the table again ... Yep.'
That is pretty cool. I honestly look forward to that. I think this Alien AI is so jarring to so many players because we are so used to obviously scripted enemies who have clear set boundaries to their intelligence capabilities. We become so used to finding patterns, so when there isn't any, that is quite a change.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
I thought someone said earlier the leaning system supports Kinect. Even with the controller it's by far the best leaning system I've seen in a game tho.

Nice! I'm stoked. I haven't used motion controls in a game since BF4. Can't wait to see how well they implemented it.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
To my understanding both Kinect and the Sony camera thing for PS4 support leaning tracking and sound detection. So if you are screaming like a baby in your living room when the alien is near, it'll hear that.

It can track you for leaning and it can use the noise you make in game - both for distraction and fuck-ups ;)

You can enable both options seperately.

As komplanen said, head tracking is implemented.
Also, voice tracking! If you make any loud sounds (ie: shrieks or screams) Kinect can pick it up and it'll alert enemies to your presence.

I've only played with the latter and luckily haven't alerted anything.. yet.

Thanks guys! More hype and more impatient waiting for work to end to pick this up.

DukeBobby

They did say that the AI is designed in such a way that the alien learns from your behaviour, so perhaps you should try hiding in different places for a while. I often wonder if this is one of the problems reviewers didn't understand either. 'I bet she's under the table again ... Yep.'

It learns your behaviour. If you keep doing the same things it will realise.

Yes, but I thought that would happen as I got further into the game. Not when I die repeatedly on the same part.

Scoot2005

Banned
Yes, but I thought that would happen as I got further into the game. Not when I die repeatedly on the same part.

Well... If your doing the same thing then the AI is just being as static as you are. It shouldn't be learning upon each reload, it's just responding to what it knows at the last time of saving. That's my assumption anyway. Try something radically different and see how it goes.

Krejlooc

Banned

The VorpX build for this game should support 6DOF leaning with an Oculus Rift as well.

GeneralArrow

Neo Member
Watch the hundreds of twitch streams. The game looks amazing.

I strongly disagree that not having an automatic save system adds nothing of value. Of course it adds something! Otherwise it wouldn't be different than an automatic save system. E.g. having manual and scattered savepoints gives the progress you've made much more significance. It feels like progress you've made yourself. Concurrently, having to wait around the save point while the alien is roaming about provides discomfort and nervousness while you're looking around.

You have a similar kind of save system in terms of progress being made in games like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls where you have to backtrack. Surely you must see why such game design might be positive and how it actually "adds value".

If you like Alien, this is the game for you. It really shows that this is a labor of love.

I personally think it's amazing and refreshing thanks to atmosphere, sound design, visuals and "alternative" game mechanics.

Thanks, looks like I'll be picking this game up, the mod trying to defend the negative review vs positive reactions from people in the threads on IGN really turned me on as to this is going to be a fantastic game. Everyone I've seen commenting has seemed to really like it.

AGoodODST

Having a blast so far. One question (which has probably been answered) is it possible to kill the Working Joes without drawing attention to youself (or at all)?

komplanen

OK, OK, OK I take back some of that bs about scripting I said earlier.

I died getting shot by a human. "Oh great another fucking 5 minutes of re-tracing my steps due to the save system, I'd better just run around because the noises in the air ducts ain't gonna hurt me lmfao this game is so cripted". I literally got up one set of stairs from the save point when the fucker jumps down and wrecks me.

Taruranto

Also, not only do I have to contend with a falling-apart space station, murderous scavengers, psychotic androids and a ten foot tall xenomorph, but also the terror that is FLOATING GUNS.

Ahah, that happens to me a lot too.

Did a huge chunk of the game, can't say how far I am
got the flamethrower and they failed to trap the Alien.

Overall I'm not really impressed, game is not bad, but I feel like it's mostly fanservice for the movies fan. It's not scary and the gameplay can get a bit repetitive (It's basically go from point A to B while you play around with the Alien and the Androids). I was expecting something like Metroidvania or CT1, but it's quite linear and guided, so far.

The complaint about the difficulty are indeed exaggerated, there were few bullshit deaths and the I.A. can get a bit crazy at time, but overall it's just a game that requires patience.

I just beat Last Survior and now it's time to sit down in some PJ pants, make some chicken soup, close the blinds and play the main story.

"Lucky... Lucky... Lucky... You. Are. My. Lucky. Star. Lucky.. Lucky.

BigDes

Ahah, that happens to me a lot too.

Did a huge chunk of the game, can't say how far I am
got the flamethrower and they failed to trap the Alien.

Overall I'm not really impressed, game is not bad, but I feel like it's mostly fanservice for the movies fan. It's not scary and the gameplay can get a bit repetitive (It's basically go from point A to B while you play around with the Alien and the Androids). I was expecting something like Metroidvania or CT1, but it's quite linear and guided, so far.

The complaint about the difficulty are indeed exaggerated, there were few bullshit deaths and the I.A. can get a bit crazy at time, but overall it's just a game that requires patience.
Pretty much.

I was much more unsettled by the androids than the alien. I think blaming the game itself may be a little unfair, I think that the Xenomorph is so ingrained in our consciousness now that it feels too familiar.

Astral

It's crazy how my hype for a game goes to zero once I have it in my possession. The game is in my bookbag already and I'm stuck in school, but I'm totally cool with it.

LowParry

It's crazy how my hype for a game goes to zero once I have it in my possession. The game is in my bookbag already and I'm stuck in school, but I'm totally cool with it.

Happens to me all the time. Before I get the game, super pumped. When I get the game, not so pumped. But when I start up the game and see the title screen, shit gets real. :D

How do you hold your breath while inside of a locker? Preferably both the keyboard and the controller way since I'm alternating between both.

Scoot2005

Banned
Pretty much.

I was much more unsettled by the androids than the alien. I think blaming the game itself may be a little unfair, I think that the Xenomorph is so ingrained in our consciousness now that it feels too familiar.

I think this quote nailed it. I'm more interested in seeing the appearance, behavior and sound of the Xeno. I grew up with this thing. It's simply something to avoid....So far at least. The humans and androids pose way more of a threat.

Also, as far as the Xeno encounters go. I'm playing the game at an incredibly slow pace. This may make it much less threatening.

Volcane

I've played a few hours today, and I just love the tension. The soundtrack is just gives a ominous and foreboding feeling. Surprised some people don't find it scary, as it has creeped me out. I believe it is one of the scariest games I have played.

Pretty much.

Exactly. I haven't been scared by the Xeno once, it's just an interesting creature. I grew up watching all four movies so they have become too familiar to be something scary to me.

BigDes

I've played a few hours today, and I just love the tension. The soundtrack is just gives a ominous and foreboding feeling. Surprised some people don't find it scary, as it has creeped me out. I believe it is one of the scariest games I have played.

Well I mean, I'm wearing a shirt with the Weyland Yutani logo on it, on the desk next to me is an Alien Queen action figure and on the shelf behind me is a Colonial Marine action figure.

To me the Xeno is almost a friend. I don't think its the game's fault. I think that I am inured to the fear the Xenomorph is supposed to instill in me. Over exposure to it I suppose.

The mannequin like nature of the androids however is a brilliant touch, I find them horrific.

slapnuts

damn this game looks very nice ..playing the PC version on my big screen plasma in living room with a nice surround sound setup with two 12inch powered polk subs..the game is simply awesome, i want to play more once it gets dark and i can turn off all the lighting in the room..i have a lot of windows in my living room, i think the immersion factor by playing this at night with a nice surround sound setup and big screen is ACE for this type of game.

strafer

O'boy,
just watched Axel get killed by the Alien.

And so it begins.

That's enough for me tonight I think. I can't handle too much.

Toa TAK

Banned
So it appears these Androids didn't get the memo about, oh I dunno...THE THREE LAWS OF ROBOTICS?!

My first death was at the hands of one. So much for that achievement.

Zeliard

People should try to follow the tips Amnesia: The Dark Descent lays out at the player right as you start the game, which is to play both 1) in a darkened room and 2) with headphones on (or alternatively to 2, a nice surround system).

I don't think Alien: Isolation or really anything in gaming so far can come close to matching the sheer mounting dread that Amnesia 1 evokes, but it makes a respectable stab at it, and it's naturally heightened if you take some steps to put darkness and sound at the forefront.

Top Bottom