• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

jond76

Banned
Not too far in but wow they naked the atmosphere. The presentation is spot on.

I was hesitant to turn on head tracking but its amazing. Tracks really well, even from 10 feet away and with me leaning to one side. Very cool.

Catdaddy

Did this game bomb on pc only 7k playing?

Middle of the day with a lot of us at work/school still.

I posted yesterday that I know of at least two Gamestops here that had midnight releases, so either pre-orders were strong for Alien or the NBA release (or a combo of both).

Anyone go to a midnight release?

tumblr_mohn1oSXMk1s41ltto8_500.gif

The Cowboy

Dang it, dead - got trapped in a tube with only 2 exits.
1 locked and the other with 3 people with guns behind it.

Gotta say, i really would like a 1 death = save deleted ultra hard mode with no hud or map.

After everyone saying that the first Alien encounter in the main story was a slow burn, I decided to wait until tonight to tackle the story and just play a little bit of Crew Expendable last night.

I didn't get far at all but opening the door to MU-TH-UR 6000 hearing those beeping noises made me giddy like a little boy on Christmas morning.

So I'm still trying to decide if I want to get this or not (probably wait for steam sale) since Evil Within is coming next week. I had a question. Why cant you kill the alien with a gun or flamethrower? They did it a ton in Aliens.

Is it a special alien? If the answer is a spoiler then I don't want to know lol.

If you see humans, just toss a flashbang and let the alien take care of them.

I am streaming it while I play if anyone wants to check it out.

twitch.tv\damageinc84

I had gotten so wrapped up in Destiny I had totally forgotten that this game was out so soon.

I desperately hope it's good. I've always, always preferred the Alien style of things over Aliens (though I like them both). This is the Alien franchise game I've been waiting for. If Isolation is scary, unpredictable and has a remotely good story I'll be very happy.

Don't worry, about an hour> into AI, you already know more about this story than you ever did reaching level 20 in Destiny.

Middle of the day with a lot of us at work/school still.

I posted yesterday that I know of at least two Gamestops here that had midnight releases, so either pre-orders were strong for Alien or the NBA release (or a combo of both).

Anyone go to a midnight release?

I hope so man I want a sequel already... But it's not looking good shadow of mordor had 30k in the middle of the night when it unlocked.

After everyone saying that the first Alien encounter in the main story was a slow burn, I decided to wait until tonight to tackle the story and just play a little bit of Crew Expendable last night.

I didn't get far at all but opening the door to MU-TH-UR 6000 hearing those beeping noises made me giddy like a little boy on Christmas morning.

I didn't want to deal with the tutorials etc last night, and did the same thing. Just finished Last Survivor too. So fricking tense.

I'll dive into the single player proper tonight, but they did a really good job on the pre-order DLC. The original cast and the attention to detail are both spot on... and the ship after you turn on the self destruct system... all the steam, all of that stuff... this a great looking game.

Don't have a next gen system. PS3 version good enough?

I've been watching a few twich streams and I can safely say this is the Alien game I've been waiting for. I was a big big fan of ZombiU and I like that I'm seeing many of those same elements in Isolation. I would get it on the PS3 but I'm going to black friday a PS4 so I can get a better experience. This game is my wet dream.

I'd like to know this as well. I'd hate to wait. If the PS3 version is pretty close I may just get that.

Just get PS3, it's really not bad and looks better than the screenshots you've seen.

I did something similar. I played about half an hour of story and then I had to go to bed so I started a very quick game of Last Survivor. I say started because the moment I heard footsteps I ran into a locker and then quit the game when the alien walked into the room. Nope'd right out of there.

Won't have time to play again until tomorrow afternoon but I'm going to need diapers. Back to campaign mode.

I had a question. Why cant you kill the alien with a gun or flamethrower? They did it a ton in Aliens.

No spoilers about the alien below, but a possible plot/setting one:

No marines or military-grade weaponry on Sevastopol, at least not that I've seen after 2 hours in the game.

man, I felt like a scrub during the
first stealth section
I died around nine times.

Me too, and I was being so careful. Or at least I thought I was.

I'm really not having fun with this stealth section in Seegson comms. There's several enemies walking around with guns and apparently I have to sneak past them?

Faith

So I just started to play the game and have some technical questions:

- The Ingame AF kind of sucks, I set it to Bilinear and force 16xAF in Nvidia controls, is that the way to do it?
- Any chance for better AA? Ingame options don't seem to really work. Should I set it to SMAA 2xXT and try downsampling as much as possible?
- Which FoV are you guys using? I set it to 55 so that I still can see my character and keep the claustrophobic effect.

abracadaver

I have no idea how to avoid those assholes after I collect the broken decoder or whatever it was. They spot me as soon as I enter the room. Alien is nowhere to be seen. This is already annoying the hell out of me. Stuck here for at least 30 minutes now. WTF am I supposed to do?

Just completed 4 chapters and so far it's been pretty awesome.

- The sound design is probably one of the best've ever seen.
- The android's AI occasionally seemed a little dumb.
- I´ve no ideia how the combat system is, completed all chapters without alerting anyone.
- The cutscenes need an urgent patch, the drops of framerate are very very big. It breaks the immersion.
- The atmosphere is perfect.
- The misson design is very simplistic which I like in this kind of games.
- Love the slow pace of the game.
- The voice act is not bad but it should be better.

Now I'm ready for the big boy.

OneUh8

There is too many games to play right now! I am not even half way through Mordor and I picked up Driveclub and Isolation today. I think I will play through the beginning of this tonight though. Love reading the impressions. Gets me all giddy as a fan of the Alien franchise.

Chabbles

So whats the Difficulty to play this on, Normal or Hard ?. To the people who are playing or have tried hard, is it as frustrating as some of the reviews make it out to be ?

Kak.efes

Would playing on easy limit trial & error while maintaining the sense of immersion? I'm thinking about picking this up later tonight, and it'd go a long way to seeling my decision.

gossi

AI on normal I feel is a bit easy. Switching to hard.

Would playing on easy limit trial & error while maintaining the sense of immersion? I'm thinking about picking this up later tonight, and it'd go a long way to seeling my decision.

Put it this way, I got killed about an hour into the game on easy as I happened to walk into the path of a flashlight for an enemy that happened to turn as I snuck past them (quite far away too). It gave me no chance to correct my error.

The game is great, by the way. Very old school.

gossi

If you want to purchase the DLC with original voice cast (and ship!) it's ridic cheap by the way. A few UK pounds on Xbox One. I'm guessing the outrage about it being DLC caused them to lower price.

Vidpixel

Not too far in but wow they naked the atmosphere. The presentation is spot on.

I was hesitant to turn on head tracking but its amazing. Tracks really well, even from 10 feet away and with me leaning to one side. Very cool.

Wait, what now?

The game is so exciting, that it causes this poster to shed their clothes while playing, hence the Freudian slip. I see no problem with this.

Pre Alien Isolation hype got me in to Alien & Predator movies marathon and here is my list

1-Aliens (One of the best movies of all time)
2-Predator (You cannot go wrong with the cast)
3-Alien (Birth of Survival Horror)
4-Alien vs Predator (Blade's mother rocks and cheered for the Predators)
5-Predator 2 (Much better Predator designs than the first one)
6-Predators (It should have been much better)
7-Alien: Resurrection (Christie's Assassins Creed style double pistols)
8-Alien 3 (The first time I've watched it)
9-AVP Requiem (It was bad at cinema and even worse on Blu-Ray as it is all dark)

Interesting you put Predators below the very cheesy and boring Predator 2 and AVP, though I enjoy both. I guess it's pretty easy to clump those three together as middling Alien movies when you have shit like Requiem and Resurrection to contend with.

Mine would be: Alien, Aliens, Predator, Alien 3 (good movie, shit Alien movie), Predators, AVP then Predator 2. Resurrection and Requiem are just unwatchable.

Top Bottom