• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Have they patched the cutscene judder yet, haven't gone back to the game on console since
Are those realtime? I figured a reason they could be weird like that is because they're just videos, but I do see jaggies.

Skirn

Has anyone found any use for the Speaker System option in the power boxes? Does it mask the noise your character makes? Will it attract the Alien? I feel like it doesn't do shit, same goes for Lighting. The only useful one is the Air Filtration - great for sneaking by androids and survivors.

I'm playing on Hard and absolutely loving the game so far (5-6 hours in). Really excited to see what CA might do in the future.

Neff

Are those realtime? I figured a reason they could be weird like that is because they're just videos, but I do see jaggies.

They're just very high quality (aside from the judder) videos of touched-up game assets, rendered at a very crisp 1080p, which is why you see jaggies. If you look closely you'll also see minor artifacts and slight compression bleeding. It's definitely video.

-Deimos

Has anyone found any use for the Speaker System option in the power boxes? Does it mask the noise your character makes? Will it attract the Alien? I feel like it doesn't do shit, same goes for Lighting. The only useful one is the Air Filtration - great for sneaking by androids and survivors.

I'm playing on Hard and absolutely loving the game so far (5-6 hours in). Really excited to see what CA might do in the future.

It attracts the alien. Comes in real handy in one section of the med bay.

I am starting to turn on this game.

Missions 12 and 13 are some of the most tedious, annoying bullshit I've played in awhile.

It's a good thing the preceding 11 missions were fun as shit (and the game as a whole is so dead-on with the atmospherics)

but this is rapidly becoming dull as fuck.

No idea how far into the game I am, but I've played for 12 hours or so on hard and I've enjoyed it all... or at least I've enjoyed it up until about the point where SPOILER
you get rid of the Alien and have to fight avoid Androids and People. I miss the Alien, the lovely Alan.

Toa TAK

Banned
I am starting to turn on this game.

Missions 12 and 13 are some of the most tedious, annoying bullshit I've played in awhile.

It's a good thing the preceding 11 missions were fun as shit (and the game as a whole is so dead-on with the atmospherics)

but this is rapidly becoming dull as fuck.
Don't say that. I just got to 12.

Jetman

Just started it on Hard mode
(Hold Me)
. Only up to Mission 3 so far but loving the atmosphere, music, and tension of the environment so far.

Playing on PS4 and noticing a lot of slowdown and hiccups on the cutscenes. Also glitching doors that just disappear, and a few glitching humans popping up in areas then disappearing before my eyes.

Just did missions 10 and 11. Jeez louise. Those were great. This game is really intense.

I think I see where the plot is going here, with APOLLO and the androids having turned hostile, and Samuels intentions currently being unknown. These motherfrackin cylons are gonna bring the alien back inside the station.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought there was a blowtorch in this?
(Hold Me)
. Only up to Mission 3 so far but loving the atmosphere, music, and tension of the environment so far.

Playing on PS4 and noticing a lot of slowdown and hiccups on the cutscenes. Also glitching doors that just disappear, and a few glitching humans popping up in areas then disappearing before my eyes.
First I've heard of this.

I thought there was a blowtorch in this?

I'll spoiler this just cos it's just gameplay though

you get different kinds of torches used to open different doors and panels. you also get a full blown flamethrower for combat/warding off the alien temporarily.

So, I never found the med kit plan. And I'm well half way through it. So now I have a sliver of health and can't heal. Is it possible to find a med kit plan? Or can I finish the game with never really healing?

It's possible to backtrack all the way to the beginning of the game (after the intro). I don't remember where you pick up the medkit schematic but you should be able to go back and grab it.

TGO

I'll spoiler this just cos it's just gameplay though

you get different kinds of torches used to open different doors and panels. you also get a full blown flamethrower for combat/warding off the alien temporarily.
I'm on
I'm on mission 7 and haven't seen anything

Phii

Banned
Mission six wasn't too difficult, except I
couldn't figure out how to escape from the Medical Reception. The ladder was even right infront of me.

The androids are great! So creepy

I'm on
I'm on mission 7 and haven't seen anything

gameplay spoilers:
Yeah, I don't remember when but you should be picking up the first torch soon. I think there are 3. I'm on mission 12 and I have 2 of them now. You need to get them to progress and it's all clearly laid out. It might be possible to leave the flamethrower, I don't know, but likewise, it's marked out clearly for you.

TGO

gameplay spoilers:
Yeah, I don't remember when but you should be picking up the first torch soon. I think there are 3. I'm on mission 12 and I have 2 of them now. You need to get them to progress and it's all clearly laid out. It might be possible to leave the flamethrower, I don't know, but likewise, it's marked out clearly for you.
thanks I saw some doors earlier in the game and thought I missed it, you must back track then

shiba5

Thanks shiba. Just kept moving stayed behind cover even when it was in the same room and the results were far better then trying to hide. I'm guessing they have some kind of script going on that makes it try and sniff you out if you are hidden.

I'm glad that helped!
When the game first came out, the same scenario with the lockers was also playing out on Twitch. The people who weren't progressing were the ones reluctant to leave the lockers. I'm not convinced the alien doesn't hear the huge racket they make, and I think they are basically a big troll - "Come on in, it's safe in here. We promise."
The lockers are a lie.

EGM1966

I'm glad that helped!
When the game first came out, the same scenario with the lockers was also playing out on Twitch. The people who weren't progressing were the ones reluctant to leave the lockers. I'm not convinced the alien doesn't hear the huge racket they make, and I think they are basically a big troll - "Come on in, it's safe in here. We promise."
The lockers are a lie.
The lockers are definitely odd in the game IMHO. One, you make way to much noise with them given the circumstances; I really doubt she'd burst out noisily every single time.

Two they are placed in good spots to hide often as though you should be using them, for example halfway down a long corridor or next to a save point; yet the Alien AI seems designed to punish their use vs risking being more exposed, the thing definitely seems to home in on them if you use them a lot.

Finally, even if the Alien doesn't home in on you being in a locker while on the same level it does seem to eventually settle in the vents above you making leaving the locker pretty dangerous if there's a vent nearby.

I've experimented staying in a locker for extended periods and on average they do seem to become death traps eventually. Like everything to do with the Alien AI nothing's 100% but a bias does seem to be present.

If you use them sparingly and quickly they do seem ok though; its staying put in one too long that seems to go wrong.

15513088522_8965eb91ed_o.gif

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Was so close to finishing the 4th Mission tonight, like literally one room away. I could hear the Alien overhead trekking back and forth and so I was sneaking so slowly. Had to enter one of those vents. Creeping, creeping, creeping, not making a sound, then just as I was at the other side of the vent I heard this massive *THUD* followed by a *HIIIISSSSSSSSSSS* and then a scream as my characters hands reach out in front trying to grab the floor and I am dragged backwards towards my death. Screen goes dark.

(Hold Me)

Hmmm, I'm on PS4 as well and the only problems I've experienced during gameplay is occasionally I don't hear the sound for a door or vent opening. Aside from that (and the cut scenes) I'm very happy with it.

CoolZombie

I'm a fair way into this game now, absolutely loving it (PS4 version). Seriously I think that CA knocked it out of the park, you can see that a lot of love went into making this game and it just nails the aesthetic and claustrophobic nature of the original movie perfectly.

I just cannot for the life of me understand what outlets like IGN were thinking with the review score they handed out, and reading that some people are put off by the game because of this is a shame. Its as if they played a different game to the one that I am playing :-/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I adore the game too, but it's confusing to see so many people name-checking IGN in this thread. I feel like all we've done for the last decade is bitch about the review hive-mind. And now between this, Destiny and almost certainly The Evil Within, we're finally seeing some real discourse and variation of opinion in the games media. That is a laudable, good thing.

The best creative things usually aren't for everyone.

Thrakier

I'm a fair way into this game now, absolutely loving it (PS4 version). Seriously I think that CA knocked it out of the park, you can see that a lot of love went into making this game and it just nails the aesthetic and claustrophobic nature of the original movie perfectly.

I just cannot for the life of me understand what outlets like IGN were thinking with the review score they handed out, and reading that some people are put off by the game because of this is a shame. Its as if they played a different game to the one that I am playing :-/

I actually didn't read any review. I'm put off by the useres stating that the game is:

- too long
- too repetitive
- looses it's appeal once you understood all mechanics (which is linked to the first two points anyway)

These three are killer contra arguments for every game, especially though for a horror game. You can't be scary if you are predictable. That's opposite things.

ViviOggi

I actually didn't read any review. I'm put off by the useres stating that the game is:

- too long
- too repetitive
- looses it's appeal once you understood all mechanics (which is linked to the first two points anyway)

These three are killer contra arguments for every game, especially though for a horror game. You can't be scary if you are predictable. That's opposite things.
These points are rather broad and highly subjective. Are you familiar with the posters in question and do their tastes usually align with yours? Because only then does it make sense to value their opinions over others'.

That being said there's nothing wrong with waiting for a better deal if you're unsure.

Neff

- too long
- too repetitive

If you're a fan of the Alien films, particularly the first one, you won't care about any of this, seriously.

It's a flawed masterpiece, but a masterpiece all the same.

Toa TAK

Banned
I actually really like the length of the game. It's good for me, personally as it keeps being interesting and there's something to accomplish as I play whenever I can.

I just started the game and I don't think I can do this, I have the sound virtually off and every jump scare makes me scream. I'm usually pretty good for horror games but just something about the Alien universe completely freaks me out.

Wow, this
Galleria
section really sucks. Lots of
androids and humans wandering around in big open spaces, and it's not really clear which doors can open or not at a distance.

Arkanius

Just finished the game:

Loved it to the end. God damn Ripley, not even the Torrens was a safe harbor :(

Ready for the Evil Within

Thriller

My dear lord! this game just got even better!
I am in the derelict!! Spacejockey and everything!

Hmmm yeah all over my face!

Arkanius

By the way the trick to git good at the game is:

- Wear headphones
- Never run
- Rarely walk
- Crouch walk a lot.

I'm going to play the DLC's now, loved the experience. I'll miss it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
On normal I feel like the alien is actually too forgiving at times. I've been walking down a hallway and BAM it will be on the other side of the corner walking towards me. I quickly 180 and then hide in a locker and I survive as it walks by. That really shouldn't happen. But whatever! I'm not complaining.

I think Chiggs had good advice before. Move quickly and constantly.

strafer

On normal I feel like the alien is actually too forgiving at times. I've been walking down a hallway and BAM it will be on the other side of the corner walking towards me. I quickly 180 and then hide in a locker and I survive as it walks by. That really shouldn't happen. But whatever! I'm not complaining.

I think Chiggs had good advice before. Move quickly and constantly.

The alien is blind so...IT could happen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
By the way the trick to git good at the game is:

- Wear headphones
- Never run
- Rarely walk
- Crouch walk a lot.

I'm going to play the DLC's now, loved the experience. I'll miss it.
You can actually regular walk much more than you think! It doesn't make much noise. The main downside is the extra vertical space you take up. :p

Scoot2005

Banned
I just started the game and I don't think I can do this, I have the sound virtually off and every jump scare makes me scream. I'm usually pretty good for horror games but just something about the Alien universe completely freaks me out.

Your completely safe until your first encounter with a group of humans. Soak up the atmosphere and get used to the controls.

Not the big of a spoiler. Just a helpful hint.

Astral

It looks like the alien can in fact teleport sometimes. I was hiding in a locker from him and he was sniffing me out. He gave up and left the room so I stopped holding my breath. I was giving Ripley a few seconds to catch her breath when it all of a sudden rips open the locker and kills me. It literally just popped in front of me.

Top Bottom