• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

The Cowboy

Anyone else re-watching the Alien films? I started with the Assembly Cut of 3 (it was my introduction to the franchise) and it still holds up I think. Damn underrated film. Gonna' watch Aliens next.
I watched Alien right before i started the game, due to how well it runs together it makes an excellent intro cinematic :D.

Edit.
Not relevant due to reading skills :p.

Fantasmo

I'm early on at the room
where the girl drops a hacking tool for the elevator. She runs off to get 3 of her friends, so there's 4 enemies (and by the way they act they as well have thermal vision on, peeking seems to be pretty useless because they see me).

Anyway I have no idea how to pass all of them. The first time I got there I managed to draw one enemy into the previous room, get him to aim at me from the vent, went around and killed him. That proved useless the second time around when two enemies followed me there. Then I tried using the air purification system but they turn it off. The last thing I tried was hiding behind the pillar at the stairs they come down, then going upstairs and going around them, but after getting upstairs and turning on the air purification again, I ended up going head on into one of them.

After wasting an hour on this room, I'm seriously getting mad, what do I do here?

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone else really like Amanda's hands...?

Yep. They look nice.

I'm nearing the end of my hard, no human kill, no death run and its not been that difficult really. Just avoid most robots and reload my last save if the Alien so much as starts a kill animation.

Don't think I'll finish in time for TEW tomorrow but I'll come back and dust it off soon.

I finished it earlier this afternoon. What a ride. I can't believe some of these complaints in reviews I've seen with low-average scores were that the AI was too good(hard)at times and the game was too long.

Yet, TLoU is sitting at 95+ on Metacritic with decent length and some of the worst AI I've seen in a game.

I enjoyed the length and while the AI is definitely challenging, it's not perfect in AI. 10/10...it really was one of the best games I've ever played.

Zomba13

I'm early on at the room
where the girl drops a hacking tool for the elevator. She runs off to get 3 of her friends, so there's 4 enemies (and by the way they act they as well have thermal vision on, peeking seems to be pretty useless because they see me).

Anyway I have no idea how to pass all of them. The first time I got there I managed to draw one enemy into the previous room, get him to aim at me from the vent, went around and killed him. That proved useless the second time around when two enemies followed me there. Then I tried using the air purification system but they turn it off. The last thing I tried was hiding behind the pillar at the stairs they come down, then going upstairs and going around them, but after getting upstairs and turning on the air purification again, I ended up going head on into one of them.

After wasting an hour on this room, I'm seriously getting mad, what do I do here?
  1. Trigger her running away
  2. Explore room for the log and items and whatever
  3. pick up hack tool to trigger the return
  4. move quickly (walk don't run) up the stairs they come down (left if you've just turned around after picking up the tool)
  5. hide behind the box there (I think it's yellow)
  6. wait for them to walk past
  7. creep past the last dude at the end of the hall (he will turn around and go into the room after a little bit)

MRORANGE

A03C417F41690013512E82893EDB0B8E51C70FB3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just got the [weapon spoiler]
flamethrower
but I feel like this is going to ruin the game. And I still feel like I'm early in the game. Thoughts?

Toa TAK

Banned
On mission 16. I can almost taste that ending.

Was expecting
a bigger reaction from Ripley about her mother Ripley.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm early on at the room

I went up the staircase opposite the one the woman runs through. I headed all the way round, smacked one of them in the head, and ran out the door. They won't follow.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
  4. move quickly (walk don't run) up the stairs they come down (left if you've just turned around after picking up the tool)
  7. creep past the last dude at the end of the hall (he will turn around and go into the room after a little bit)

I did almost the same as hiding behind that box you.mentioned the first guy said "I hear something" (possibly my breathing?) and shot me. Instead of hiding behind the box I turned left and hid by the corner of the top of the stairs. Wait for them to go down, then sneak past the last guy.

The last guy might eventually see you but they won't follow you through the door.

I really
thought there was going to be a boss fight with a queen at one point.
Not sure if anyone else was getting those vibes.

Grisby

flamethrower
but I feel like this is going to ruin the game. And I still feel like I'm early in the game. Thoughts?
The alien can still charge you and if you're not careful you can run out of ammo pretty fast. He always comes back as well.
So are the bad reviews BS?

Will I like this game?

I like alien movies stealth games and unique single player games.
Yes. This game fits all three of your criteria.
On mission 16. I can almost taste that ending.

Was expecting
a bigger reaction from Ripley about her mother Ripley.
Sometime Amanda's VA is good, mostly during the panicked moments. A lot of other times it isnt though.
So, [Late game weapon spoiler]
I'm in mission 14, just picked up some bolt gun ammo. Is it coming up soon or did I miss it somewhere?
I got the ammo before I got the gun so yeah, it should be coming up.

Pollux

I stood in one locker for 15 minutes. I usually wait for the alien to go back in the vents. It just so happens that he WON'T at times and you have to rely on your stealth skills.

I went back and replayed the 2nd mission, and by a ladder is a spray painted message on the wall that says "Keep Moving". That is the key to getting through this game.

Yeah I'm figuring that out. It's amazing how terrifying the alien is when he decides to show up. The fact that there's nothing I can do and it's basically a one hit KO if he sees me makes every encounter suspenseful as hell.

This is easily in my top 3 so far for GOTY.

Ricker

EDIT: Completly stomped in chapter 11....I have to find an alternate route...everything is done/killed and all in that section but I cant seem to reach where the flashing green circle is pointing...is this when you have to start backtracking back with the elevators or what...?

This is when I have to rejoin Marshall and at one point Ripley asks for help with a door but Waits sounds like he is getting strangled on the com...this is also where the Working Joe's are even more bonkers,sometimes they stand and start dancing or running without moving...I killed them all,killed one of the guys in there that was equipped in S.W.A.T. like gear,etc etc

Completly stomped in chapter 12 or 13....I have to find an alternate route...everything is done/killed and all in that section but I cant seem to reach where the flashing green circle is pointing...is this when you have to start backtracking back with the elevators or what...?

This is when I have to rejoin Marshall and at one point Ripley asks for help with a door but Waits sounds like he is getting strangled on the com...this is also where the Working Joe's are even more bonkers,sometimes they stand and start dancing or running without moving...I killed them all,killed one of the guys in there that was equipped in S.W.A.T. like gear,etc etc
I ended up needing to use a guide for that part. A lot of the shutters/doors in that area don't open until you're right next to them, so just check everywhere.

Spaghetti

just finished the game. people weren't joking when they said it was long, but what's pretty surprising is that the game still manages to be frightening and incredibly tense right up until the ending.

other titles in the stealth/horror subgenre fail to really make the ending as scary as the earlier moments, and they're usually far, far shorter than alien. cudos to creative assembly for creating a long game that never particularly feels baggy.

truly the perfect alien game. colonial marines is a distant memory.

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh my God, the end of chapter 16.

It was nice to have a break from the titular monster, but boy, this game is nothing without it. The sense of dread came flowing back immediately as it relentlessly stalked me for the rest of the level.
Let's see if I can beat this thing tonight before The Walking Dead airs.

Ricker

I ended up needing to use a guide for that part. A lot of the shutters/doors in that area don't open until you're right next to them, so just check everywhere.

Yeah,just checked a walkthrough also and I missed some stairs going up lol...and its mission 11...I swear I went back one section,using the elevator and back again 2 times damnit...

ElTopo

Banned
ugh, alien 3. *shudders*

I like Fincher's dark vision. It was a great ending for the franchise until Resurrection fucked it all up.

I liked alot about the original version of Alien 3, except some things didnt make sense. The Assembly cut pretty much fixed most of these. I think its quite good.

Then again I also enjoy Predator 2. The predator in that is such a badass jerk.

Predator 2 is badass dude.

*High five*

Toa TAK

Banned
FUCK!
There are multiple monsters roaming the area right as I use the terminal for the EVA suit.

How am I supposed to get passed these aliens without getting killed?

Fantasmo

This did it. I can't believe how easy this strategy is. And time saving too, thanks!

FUCK!
There are multiple monsters roaming the area right as I use the terminal for the EVA suit.

How am I supposed to get passed these aliens without getting killed?

Run while using the various guns you have collected or sneak and use noisemakers.
Spoilers -
Surprised you didn't encounter multiple Aliens earlier. The hive was ridiculous for me.

ElTopo

Banned
Oh my God, the end of chapter 16.

It was nice to have a break from the titular monster, but boy, this game is nothing without it. The sense of dread came flowing back immediately as it relentlessly stalked me for the rest of the level.
Let's see if I can beat this thing tonight before The Walking Dead airs.

You're almost at the end.
I'd try to conserve Flamer ammo a bit, at least keep it at about 30. Try and use Pipebombs and Moli's. Failing that, try and hide and wait for the Alien to go away. There should be plenty of Save Spots though.

ezekial45

Banned
flamethrower

It doesn't. You'll feel powerful now because this is the first time you have something to fend it off, but depending on it too much can be dangerous. It drains ammo fast, and the Alien can adapt to it. If you use it often enough, it'll only be stunned by it and won't retreat. For me, towards the end of the game there was a moment where I was basically crouch-walking backwards while using the flamethrower to fend off the Alien. It was very tense, as the exit was near, but he wouldn't go away.

Don't think of it as a power-up or a get the Alien to go away card, it should only be used as a last resort.

Toa TAK

Banned
Run while using the various guns you have collected or sneak and use noisemakers.
Spoilers -
Surprised you didn't encounter multiple Aliens earlier. The hive was ridiculous for me.

You're almost at the end.
I'd try to conserve Flamer ammo a bit, at least keep it at about 30. Try and use Pipebombs and Moli's. Failing that, try and hide and wait for the Alien to go away. There should be plenty of Save Spots though.
I ended up just following the first one down the steps. Threw a noisemaker to throw them all off and used the vents to get under them.

And THUS began an insane, stressing, and suspenseful endgame.

This game was so good. The Evil Within has some competition this Halloween.

Some sections, the game can get pretty demoralizing when you die over and over again.

But it is addictive. Eventually you get to a point where you don't fear the Alien, you just fucking hate him. You detest him, and every save you make and mission you complete is to just spite him and give a giant "fuck you" to him.

Just beat the game. Haven't played a game with so much tension in a while and the entire game was well done from start to finish.

Got kind of emotional hearing E. Ripley's Nostromo Flight Recorder Message for Amanda. Having Sigourney Weaver say those lines that take place when she's on the lifeboat is such an awesome, touching moment that extended the Alien legacy a bit. I also didn't expect the walkthrough on LV-426. I like how the end is set up for a sequel. I'm hoping Samuels somehow reactivated and was able to pilot a lifeboat near the Torrens.

Creative Assembly was amazing. The art, sound design, story integration, detail, all incredible. The game was announced out of nowhere with very little hype and low expectations after Colonial Marines. They just had their eye on the ball the entire time and their focus is apparent throughout the entire game.

Nemesis_

flamethrower

It won't.

Anyway, I've got the Anthology. Just finished watching the Alien film, but the director's cut. This box set includes all kinds of alternate cuts too.

Should I watch the alternate ones wherever possible?

ElTopo

Banned
It won't.

Anyway, I've got the Anthology. Just finished watching the Alien film, but the director's cut. This box set includes all kinds of alternate cuts too.

Should I watch the alternate ones wherever possible?

Stick to the theatrical cut of Aliens and the Assembly Cut of Alien 3.

Either cut doesn't save Resurrection.

Top Bottom