• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Chabbles

Just minding my own business when all of a sudden

alien_gif_1_by_chabbles-d82lohb.gif

I've only killed one thing, a Working Joe. In the earliest encounter, I panicked and shot him in the face five times and then ran for the elevator cause two more were coming at me. Otherwise, I've either avoided everything, or the Alien killed the humans and I snuck out.

Zomba13

Going to try survival modes tomorrow.

The survival mode was disappointing to me. It's just the one map. I was hoping there would be a few challenges of different kinds. It's ok for what it is but not something I'll play again to get a better score.

ElTopo

Banned
We'll probably get some DLC survivor modes in the coming months.

We better anyway. I get the feeling that this was very successful for Sega.

Holy hell, haven't seen the Alien films but man this game got the survival horror aspect so right, I'm so interested in buying Anthology and watch all films.

ElTopo

Banned
Holy hell, haven't seen the Alien films but man this game got the survival horror aspect so right, I'm so interested in buying Anthology and watch all films.

Might want to skip Resurrection. Or save any beer or other recreational substances for that particular film.

Also, watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 and skip the theatrical version.

Might want to skip Resurrection. Or save any beer or other recreational substances for that particular film.

Also, watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 and skip the theatrical version.

No amount of Alcohol and weed can cover up the damage that both Alien 3 and Resurrection did to the franchise, say what you want about Prometheus but at least it was better than the films released after Aliens.

Verger

Banned
The Directors cut of Alien 3 was enjoyable at least and felt like an "Alien" film

Resurrection was just so bad. I mean, a bad idea to begin with by allowing Joss Whedon of all people to write the damn script.

And is it just me, or is the acting in Whedon films always so terrible and overacted? He's no director so that's why it's weird to me.

nomis

So are the bad reviews BS?

Will I like this game?

I like alien movies stealth games and unique single player games.

Most of the complaints I've heard in reviews are:

The Alien seems to attack without warning and/or from an arbitrary direction.

This means the reviewer wasn't wearing headphones or didn't bother to recognize audio cues for the creature entering/exiting the ceiling vents. It's instincts are perfectly learn-able without it's routines becoming predictable. Sure, things like having to lean backwards when you're inside a locker to prevent it from detecting you may not have been fully communicated to the player, but not realizing things of that nature Mission 5 seems to just be a consequence of people being unwilling to experiment with the mechanics of the sandbox. Almost without fail, small little stealthy maneuvers I used functioned as I would logically expect, and an on screen tutorial wasn't necessary. It's stealth game 101. Mind you, I only hid in one locker for the entire game, it's perfectly possible to hide around the corner of a doorway and move counter to the Alien to stay out of sight. I've seen far too many people assume that the easiest course of action is to hide until the Alien finishes it's ground patrol, it isn't. If you hide for too long, it will probably find you. Move counter to it with a wall between you, moving towards your objective, hide temporarily if needed. If it's patrol is getting annoyingly long, cut to the chase and use your flamethrower to get it into the vents again. Use the window of opportunity to get to your objective without resorting to sprinting.

The save system is unforgiving.

It's an old school difficulty thing that was used equally to or even more effect than in Dead Space.

The game is too long.

I feel that CA gave us about two modern "blockbuster" games worth of content without us having to pay for both or wait for a sequel. I feel like the game was perfectly paced and (almost) every "ending" was proceeded by another for the improvement of the overall package.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, put me in the group that think Alien 3 (AC) was good. Though I can perfectly understand why people dislike it, and I don't blame them. The first 10 minutes are pretty brutal for those who adored the characters in Aliens.

Zomba13

No amount of Alcohol and weed can cover up the damage that both Alien 3 and Resurrection did to the franchise, say what you want about Prometheus but at least it was better than the films released after Aliens.

Looking at Prometheus as a completely seperate thing that was "inspired" by the Alien series it's alright. As a film set in the universe before Alien though? It's bullshit. They got holograms and fancy buttons and slim fitting suits and magic map balls. Bullshit. They'd still be using paper maps and talking over tin cans at that point. Maybe I could buy them having a full colour CRT or something at an absolute push because it's a special ship or something.

big_z

I cant stop dying :-(

GAF do I just suck or is this game hard?

its not that hard. its like dark souls where you have to be patient and play the game by its rules and for the most part you'll be successful. a controller and headphones/surround speakers are a must though, much of the aliens position is given to you by sound and rumble.

also make sure you craft and use items. complaints that the alien or droids wouldn't leave the area are easily rectified if you toss an item to distract. im guessing some gamers are still stuck in the horde and save every item possible mentality.

Arklite

Just barely made it out of that whole
medical
area. Fuck that entire place. I guess this is how the rest of the game is going to be? It's tense but it's so draining.

frontovik

Banned
The game definitely loses its scare factor once
you acquire the flamethrower and molotovs

However, you
definitely start to feel vulnerable again when you have to leave behind your weapons at APOLLO's core. That was one of the scariest sections in the entire game

Just barely made it out of that whole
medical
area. Fuck that entire place. I guess this is how the rest of the game is going to be? It's tense but it's so draining.

I'm not sure what chapter I'm on
I'm locking down the area to trap muncher.
, but I've gone a bit past that and it's much, much better to where it isn't as overbearing. Outside of the edge of radar behind you and open a door in front of you to see it casually strolling by coincidently at that moment type of moments, you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

There's even stretches that don't really involve it that much, so you'll get a bit of breathing room in between even if you're having a rough time dealing with muncher.

Looking at Prometheus as a completely seperate thing that was "inspired" by the Alien series it's alright. As a film set in the universe before Alien though? It's bullshit. They got holograms and fancy buttons and slim fitting suits and magic map balls. Bullshit. They'd still be using paper maps and talking over tin cans at that point. Maybe I could buy them having a full colour CRT or something at an absolute push because it's a special ship or something.

Prometheus is like MGS4 levels of over delivering on fan service (or what the filmmakers think is fan service).

The derelict in Alien was cool right? Here it is! You thought the space jockey was cool and mysterious, didn't you? Well, it's a space suit for this big blue nerd. Facehuggers are freaky, aren't they? Here's a HUGE one! That chestburster scene still freaks you out doesn't it? Us too, here's a weird xeno thing doing the same thing. Only it's totally not a xeno guys!

The game definitely loses its scare factor once
you acquire the flamethrower and molotovs

However, you
definitely start to feel vulnerable again when you have to leave behind your weapons at APOLLO's core. That was one of the scariest sections in the entire game
What was worse was that
none of the weapons and tools you were allowed to keep really worked

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I know somebody here can help me with this...reading terminals is realtime, right? Or can you not be stalked while you're reading one? I really want to read every log entry, but I can't because I'm so stressed out by the footsteps.

I know somebody here can help me with this...reading terminals is realtime, right? Or can you not be stalked while you're reading one? I really want to read every log entry, but I can't because I'm so stressed out by the footsteps.
They are real time. However, as soon as you view them at all, they are viewable at your leisure from the log screen.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I figured having to quote spoilers would be mean.

Alright so I'm on Chapter 5 and dying a lot less now that I'm learning the rules of this game. My impressions so far.

1. This game nails the Alien feel more than any game ever released.

2. So far its pretty damn tense / scary. More than I thought it would be.

3. The first time you see the Alien is terrifying even if you are a fan of the movies / lore.

4. Sound design is amazing. Headphones are a must.

5. Androids say some creepy stuff man.

6. Save system sucks. My only real complaint.

So far loving it. Long way to go still but the first 5 chapters have been great.

Sanke__

Most of the complaints I've heard in reviews are:

The Alien seems to attack without warning and/or from an arbitrary direction.

This means the reviewer wasn't wearing headphones or didn't bother to recognize audio cues for the creature entering/exiting the ceiling vents. It's instincts are perfectly learn-able without it's routines becoming predictable. Sure, things like having to lean backwards when you're inside a locker to prevent it from detecting you may not have been fully communicated to the player, but not realizing things of that nature Mission 5 seems to just be a consequence of people being unwilling to experiment with the mechanics of the sandbox. Almost without fail, small little stealthy maneuvers I used functioned as I would logically expect, and an on screen tutorial wasn't necessary. It's stealth game 101. Mind you, I only hid in one locker for the entire game, it's perfectly possible to hide around the corner of a doorway and move counter to the Alien to stay out of sight. I've seen far too many people assume that the easiest course of action is to hide until the Alien finishes it's ground patrol, it isn't. If you hide for too long, it will probably find you. Move counter to it with a wall between you, moving towards your objective, hide temporarily if needed. If it's patrol is getting annoyingly long, cut to the chase and use your flamethrower to get it into the vents again. Use the window of opportunity to get to your objective without resorting to sprinting.

The save system is unforgiving.

It's an old school difficulty thing that was used equally to or even more effect than in Dead Space.

The game is too long.

I feel that CA gave us about two modern "blockbuster" games worth of content without us having to pay for both or wait for a sequel. I feel like the game was perfectly paced and (almost) every "ending" was proceeded by another for the improvement of the overall package.

Thank you
It's downloading now
I like your explanation to #1
It's funny to me that people think you should be able to easily hide from a killer alien in a locker

Carm

Hrm, for Steam achievements, when you pull up the overlay while in game, what does the achievement on the right that has so close mean? I think I'm gonna get cheated out of the Self Defense achievement since I see there that and I haven't killed any humans. Just engaged androids and ran away and they caught a human. I never touched it and I didn't see the unfinished 0/10 killed humans pop up either.

Zomba13

Hrm, for Steam achievements, when you pull up the overlay while in game, what does the achievement on the right that has so close mean? I think I'm gonna get cheated out of the Self Defense achievement since I see there that and I haven't killed any humans. Just engaged androids and ran away and they caught a human. I never touched it and I didn't see the unfinished 0/10 killed humans pop up either.

It's just out of the numerical ones thats your closest (only have to kill 10 more guys rather than more for the other ones). I had that there the entire game but I had a no kill run.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They are real time. However, as soon as you view them at all, they are viewable at your leisure from the log screen.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I figured having to quote spoilers would be mean.
That's weird, because I cycle through all the entries, then go check my menu and its empty...

Arklite

There's even stretches that don't really involve it that much, so you'll get a bit of breathing room in between even if you're having a rough time dealing with muncher.

Good to know, glad to be out of that maze, though it's a very nice horror set. I'm liking the difficulty but it made me want to punch that creeper in the face after a while.

Carm

It's just out of the numerical ones thats your closest (only have to kill 10 more guys rather than more for the other ones). I had that there the entire game but I had a no kill run.

Hopefully that is it. It was the beginning of mission
11 two androids, I thought just wiped out the guys that were shooting at you earlier. I fought them, fps went down the drain and then I back off and saw a human run past me straight to them. I also panicked and kept missing with the shotgun heh, hopefully not a stray bullet on a human.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Mission 10, in my eyes, is where the game makes its first big mistake. It just keeps going and going and going until you really just want to turn the game off.

And Mission 11 ain't that great either.

Killer

Banned
Mission 10, in my eyes, is where the game makes its first big mistake. It just keeps going and going and going until you really just want to turn the game off.

And Mission 11 ain't that great either.

I thought i played through 2 or 3 chapters lol.

Now in Chapter 11. I don't know how to restore power to the shutter.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

sosage

Am I the only one that needs to turn the music off entirely in this game? The quality of the songs isn't horrible, but the experience is hindered a bit by having a soundtrack. Especially when I have to listen for shit going down around me and trying to figure out where the Alien is by listening for all of its stomping and hissing.

Speaking of. Noisiest xenomorph in the history of the Alien franchise (and thank fuck for that).

So, my PC only has headphones and the only way I play my games on PC is with headphones.

This game becomes incredibly terrifying when you can hear every single little audio cue with big comfy, audiophile headphones. The audio design in this game is Thief 2/System Shock 2 levels of amazing.

Actually, this is pretty much a System Shock sequel without the name and lore.

I really regret playing this at 1AM with headphones.

What'd those britches ever do to you, Deimos?

The whole thing with the technology I kind of just thought that because it was a Weyland research vessel it would be a lot more high tech, and the Nostromo/Sevestopol are just the poor man/everyman technological equivalent. I will say that, to be honest I was more excited for Prometheus when it was going to be a direct prequel to Alien, and when it came out as a sort've butchered hackjob of a movie that was still good, and pretty, but felt like it was missing something, perhaps the DNA they ripped out of it to try and make it its own thing. At the end of the day I'll take more Prometheus over what we got with the sequels to Alien, minus Aliens.

Anyway, just beat it.

I am THOROUGHLY satisfied with my purchase, even after last night's severe frustration with levels 12 and 13.

The game IS too long. The story is completely forgettable, and all the best parts of the game don't need any real story beyond "you're in outer space, you can't get off this fucking low-budget space station, and there's an Alien up there with you, along with some REALLY maladjusted androids"

Hell, even in the final missions,
It seems to have more in common with Gravity than with an ALIEN movie. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as hell about that. I'm still a little buzzed/freaked out about the final 25-30 minutes
but the the combination of the game's length plus a sub-par story do detract from the overall quality. But only a little. It's not a masterpiece, maybe, but it's damn sure one of the most fun games I've played in a couple years, and EAAAASILY the best game set in that particular universe.

Daigoro

question about... Ch 4 i think it was. before you find the
cattle prod

The part where the guy is behind glass telling you that he we should use teamwork to get out and you have to go fine the passcode and keycard. when i get those thing and come back he goes into the other room and says that we need to use the code ant take the elevator, then he goes back and when the door opens the alien grabs him.

first time i did this part, my game ended like 5-10 seconds later saying my companion died, game over. so the second time, i left the room as soon as he came in and just rushed to the elevator and finished the level. did the guy still die? did i cheese the level?

im not even sure what happened there exactly.

question about... Ch 4 i think it was. before you find the
cattle prod

The part where the guy is behind glass telling you that he we should use teamwork to get out and you have to go fine the passcode and keycard. when i get those thing and come back he goes into the other room and says that we need to use the code ant take the elevator, then he goes back and when the door opens the alien grabs him.

first time i did this part, my game ended like 5-10 seconds later saying my companion died, game over. so the second time, i left the room as soon as he came in and just rushed to the elevator and finished the level. did the guy still die? did i cheese the level?

im not even sure what happened there exactly.
I've never gotten that game over message before.

My first time through that area I let him get eaten, watched, then got killed myself as I stood around too long and got ganked by the Alien. Second time I was in the elevator before he even got eaten. I dunno.

Going to try streaming this on twitch later. So far I am at the medical bay.

Twitch username is LightningCamaro.

Word of warning I am new to this whole streaming business, so I am getting to grips it with it.

Top Bottom