• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

MattyG

Banned
Only really significant glitch I experienced was at the very end, I caught on fire, and tried to put it out and my hands were always on fire after that.
I was in the very last act of the game and just wanted to finish it. It made aiming and killing the facehuggers much harder.
Yup, the exact same thing happened to me.
And every time I would put on a suit or pull a lever, the flames would stay floating next to whatever I'd interacted with.

Ulysses 31

Any Alien expert know
what layed the eggs? There no hint of a queen anywhere. Also how do aliens decide to kill and when to use victems for breeding?

I really wish the "hacking" thing was more fleshed out. The damn animation for opening up the machine and getting it started takes so long that it's usually too much of a risk to bother with them. It's also very unclear what the benefits are to turning on and off the various systems.

There's also an interesting aggression system with human enemies, but there's so few human encounters that you rarely get a chance to play around with it.

The game really should have utilized these systems better to break up the monotony of hunting for switches and levers. As it stands they could have shaved off about a third of the game's levels and it would have been better for it.

ElTopo

Banned
You're a whiny poo baby.... Grumble grumble.

Yes. Yes you are. It's an Alien game.
Who isn't expecting Facehuggers? Seriously? I revealed absolutely nothing else. Bitching about someone revealing that is just so petty.

Any Alien expert know
what layed the eggs? There no hint of a queen anywhere. Also how do aliens decide to kill and when to use victems for breeding?

1: not revealed. I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed in a log. My guess is that the scavengers grabbed a couple of eggs from the derelect. It's possible that there's a queen. Maybe this will be revealed in a DLC chapter?

2: it's up to dramatic convenience. In the original film the Alien did take the bodies of Brett and Dallas and cocooned them and transformed them into eggs. But, that isn't cannon. In Alien 3 it was scripted at one point that the prisoners would discover a hive of cocooned bodies and some would still be alive. But this was never filmed but one of the cocooned bodies was fully sculpted.

JON4495

]blacky[;134007968 said:
I know but what is the matter about rerouting power to speakers or something? I did not find a change.

Rerouting power to the speakers will turn them on so they start making noise. If you look at the small map it will show you where the speaker is that will activate.

If you're talking about the rewire system next to the tram then you wouldn't have noticed a change right away, as the the speaker is a little further ahead.

Any Alien expert know

Hey there!

I think the makers of this game are using a deleted scene from ALIEN (reinserted into Scott's "Director's Cut" in the early 2000s) that shows the Alien can grab a person, and through some unexplained bit of bioengineering, TURN a person into an egg/facehugger.

Ulysses 31

Hey there!

I think the makers of this game are using a deleted scene from ALIEN (reinserted into Scott's "Director's Cut" in the early 2000s) that shows the Alien can grab a person, and through some unexplained bit of bioengineering, TURN a person into an egg/facehugger.

That's what I thought. Was kinda wishing a missed a
queen
reference during my playthrough.

ElTopo

Banned
Hey there!

In the Hive scene you can spot at least one body arranged like he's being turned into an egg but if you take a closer look he's not actually being turned into an egg. And since the whole "being turned into an egg thing" was a deleted scene and not part of Scott's director's cut (The director's cut with the cocoon scene is a director's cut in name only, Scott has gone on record that the theatrical version is his preferred cut and the "director's cut" was something Fox made for marketing) and predates the concept of a queen. So most fans would say the "turn into an egg" process isn't cannon.

In the Hive scene you can spot at least one body arranged like he's being turned into an egg but if you take a closer look he's not actually being turned into an egg. And since the whole "being turned into an egg thing" was a deleted scene and not part of Scott's director's cut (The director's cut with the cocoon scene is a director's cut in name only, Scott has gone on record that the theatrical version is his preferred cut and the "director's cut" was something Fox made for marketing) and predates the concept of a queen. So most fans would say the "turn into an egg" process isn't cannon.

Well, no, not exactly:

Scott did put that scene in there. He did oversee the editing. It is HIS cut. It's not an "in name only" cut. He did it. It's not his PREFERRED cut, no. He got what he wanted back in 79. But it's not like he just slapped his name on someone else's cut. He reinserted the scene of Brett & Dallas being transformed into eggs/facehuggers. I put "the Director's Cut" in quotes for a reason.

Also, it's Canon. One N. :)

EGM1966

Any Alien expert know
They seem to be using the original lifecycle intended for Scott's Alien but never confirmed in the final film so far as I can tell. Interesting choice if true as that implies they're cutting off certain aspects of all subsequent films (including Aliens). I'm not fully done with game yet though so can't say until then.

They seem to be using the original lifecycle intended for Scott's Alien but never confirmed in the final film so far as I can tell. Interesting choice if true as that implies they're cutting off certain aspects of all subsequent films (including Aliens). I'm not fully done with game yet though so can't say until then.

There's an easy bit of retcon/workaround for that, basically:

If a single alien finds itself with no queen, it can turn one person into an egg, and that egg will birth a facehugger that can/should implant a person with a queen.

EGM1966

There's an easy bit of retcon/workaround for that, basically:

If a single alien finds itself with no queen, it can turn one person into an egg, and that egg will birth a facehugger that can/should implant a person with a queen.
Yah - funnily enough I thought of that way back when Aliens came out. You could even argue the subtle differences in Alien design are down to that too - for example smooth done head in Alien vs ridged in Aliens.

And of course pretty sure certain insects do this and insects provided a lot of inspiration both for Alien and Aliens.

Jetman

Yeah, I've been collecting a handful of glitches as I go.

music will randomly just kick on immediately after a save - I've gone in an elevator and had the mission parameter change to a completely different mission's objective - killed a Seegson security guard, saved, came back, and the character model was gone, but his holstered gun was just hovering in the air over where he should have been.

edit: Alex reminded me about the hands-on-fire glitch, got that one too. Made the flashlight redundant for as long as that lasted.

Part of the reason I think I was having such a problem with Mission 12 is that doors were not triggering the events they needed to trigger, so I'd just end up running around to different save points/reloading save points and trying them again.

Out of curiosity, are you playing on Normal or Hard?

Scoot2005

Banned
Yah - funnily enough I thought of that way back when Aliens came out. You could even argue the subtle differences in Alien design are down to that too - for example smooth done head in Alien vs ridged in Aliens.

And of course pretty sure certain insects do this and insects provided a lot of inspiration both for Alien and Aliens.

Were there any particular insects or was it just in general?

EGM1966

Were there any particular insects or was it just in general?
I think bees and some ants if I remember rightly. Been a while since Biology but definately remember some insects had way to deal with issue of no Queen and it's not too hard to extend to the alien in principle as a fail safe mechanism.

I should probably Google it.

Scoot2005

Banned
I think bees and some ants if I remember rightly. Been a while since Biology but definately remember some insects had way to deal with issue of no Queen and it's not too hard to extend to the alien in principle as a fail safe mechanism.

I should probably Google it.

With what Captain Dillhole spoiled for me above makes me yearn to see a
stationary/mobile queen segment in a game like this.

EGM1966

Stan Winston said that the rigged head Alien seen in Aliens were in fact a warrior class that had evolved a bit.
That was the final idea but they originally planned to go with dome head from original and even made some. But they found keeping done head attached was a pain for the faster movements Cameron wanted and more extensive wire work; us Cameron when he saw the ridged head preferred the look so they decided to go with idea it defined warrior Alien or was a mutation.

The ridged head in Aliens is pretty much what was under the semi translucent dome in Alien - although for mass production purposes they used moulds vs Geiger hand crafting a skull into the head I presume.

6 missions in and I gotta say, when I first saw the alien, I was shook. Now that I know if I hide behind a couch he won't find me, I'm not that scared.

EGM1966

With what Captain Dillhole spoiled for me above makes me yearn to see a
stationary/mobile queen segment in a game like this.
Would be cool.

My personal wish would be ability to replay levels where you're a ghost and ca just observe Alien and humans going about their business (and taking photos of course).

Even better if love ability to start an empty level then define starts points for some people, androids and the Alien.

Whole other game right there is sink hours into.

At minimum of love them to patch in a "walk the set" mode where nothing is spawned and you can just stroll around marvelling at it all.

Would make an interesting New game plus mode.

Scoot2005

Banned
Would be cool.

My personal wish would be ability to replay levels where you're a ghost and ca just observe Alien and humans going about their business (and taking photos of course).

Even better if love ability to start an empty level then define starts points for some people, androids and the Alien.

Whole other game right there is sink hours into.

At minimum of love them to patch in a "walk the set" mode where nothing is spawned and you can just stroll around marvelling at it all.

Would make an interesting New game plus mode.

This is an amazing idea. Also a character viewer would be nice. I would love to observe some of the finer details on the character/alien models.

JON4495

]blacky[;134016233 said:
And what is the benefit that they are making noise?

It can attract enemies to them.

Spoilers for that section
When the girl and 3 guys come out to look for you, I ran back to that rewire and activated the speaker. One of them would come over to investigate, I'd kill them and then activate the speaker again so another one would come over.

Scoot2005

Banned
It can attract enemies to them.

Spoilers for that section
When the girl and 3 guys come out to look for you, I ran back to that rewire and activated the speaker. One of them would come over to investigate, I'd kill them and then activate the speaker again so another one would come over.

How did the others
not notice the bodies?

JON4495

How did the others
not notice the bodies?

Because the bodies were behind a door, so by the time one of them got through the door I'd whack them with the maintenance jack. For some reason only 1 person would come over each time I activated the speaker and the rest would stay in the big room, so I'd just crouch by the door, kill one then repeat the process.

I was playing on hard so this was the easiest way for me to kill them all and progress

Scoot2005

Banned
Because the bodies were behind a door, so by the time one of them got through the door I'd whack them with the maintenance jack. For some reason only 1 person would come over each time I activated the speaker and the rest would stay in the big room, so I'd just crouch by the door, kill one then repeat the process.

I was playing on hard so this was the easiest way for me to kill them all and progress

Good tactic to know.

This game is too scary for me, i really don't think i'll finish it. :(

The sense of dread I have walking around the place is crippling, i'm really fucked.

Also, what's with the super poor framerate in the cutscenes? All the big action scenes seems to take place during them and it's really jarring when the framerate is so bad (PS4 here).

strafer

The sense of dread I have walking around the place is crippling, i'm really fucked.

Also, what's with the super poor framerate in the cutscenes? All the big action scenes seems to take place during them and it's really jarring when the framerate is so bad (PS4 here).

Yeah, but I doubt they'll patch it since they are pre-recorded.

ElTopo

Banned

tumblr_ms0dwr0RhR1rxsjyqo1_500.jpg

WUSS!

Birathen

You hang in there! If I managed to find balls enough to play it anybody can! :) I was surprised I managed to get in about two hours of playing befor my nerves shut me down.

I hate.. I really hate the droids! I think one glitched on me and decided to block my way to the transit. It refused to move. I had to use a noisemaker to get it out of the way. On my way to medical now and Ive heard nothing but lovely things about that place.

Is it possible to miss something crucial to completing the game and not realise until much later, crippling your game? I meen I almost missed the noisemaker bp and that would have sucked but I would still have been able to complete the game. Ive passed a few places where I need a iontorch or something but I havent found that tool yet. Do you back track later on and use it then or have I missed it.

Thriller

I have got the feeling as if I can not get into all the rooms / areas / doors because I just got my
blowtorch
and I do not know if I can find all the places I was using the transit system.

Anyone else with the same problem?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Who thinks they might try to rebalance the alien appearances in the chapters everyone keeps complaining about? At least on the easier difficulties...

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
Has anyone picked up the Art Of Alien Isolation book? Not seen anything of the contents; from what I'm expecting/hoping might be in there, it'd be a great book to flick through with a coffee after finishing the game.

Just finished the Synthetics mission - this game never ceases to impress the hell out of me with the art direction and lighting. Just gorgeous.

Top Bottom