• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

shiba5

So apparently I missed the Noisemaker V.1 blueprint.

Whoops. Am I screwed?

It's very helpful early on, less so later as you get more toys and more ways to deal with encounters. I probably used it twice in the 2nd half of the game, but it was handy when I needed it.
Someone earlier in the thread missed the health kit which I imagine makes the game nearly impossible.

Has anyone picked up the Art Of Alien Isolation book? Not seen anything of the contents; from what I'm expecting/hoping might be in there, it'd be a great book to flick through with a coffee after finishing the game.

Just finished the Synthetics mission - this game never ceases to impress the hell out of me with the art direction and lighting. Just gorgeous.
Didn't even know there was an art book of the game might check it if it's on Amazon.

It's very helpful early on, less so later as you get more toys and more ways to deal with encounters. I probably used it twice in the 2nd half of the game, but it was handy when I needed it.
Someone earlier in the thread missed the health kit which I imagine makes the game nearly impossible.

Oh shit. The devs should probably have made it impossible to miss that one.

Can I pick up the noisemaker v2 later on without getting v1? Does it work on its own or does it only upgrade?

Chapter 11 and 12 are not all the amazing. I've had a lot of issues with trying to figure out where to go, just in these two chapters though. Maybe I am just being dumb. They are a lot more relaxed though, which is nice. Some kind of interesting story stuff happening to, just felt like I was walking in circles a few too many times.

danwarb

Chapter 11 and 12 are not all the amazing. I've had a lot of issues with trying to figure out where to go, just in these two chapters though. Maybe I am just being dumb. They are a lot more relaxed though, which is nice. Some kind of interesting story stuff happening to, just felt like I was walking in circles a few too many times.

The map always shows you where to go.

ciddative

Yeah I grinned when I saw this

What mission was this in?

I caught another, more subtle
Ash
reference in
Mission 6 when you activate the 2 evacuation buttons and the Working Joe comes out, one of his animations looks exactly like Ash warming up/psyching himself up
near the beginning of the film.

The map always shows you where to go.

I know, it was more the layout of those levels that was confusing, they were more open then most of the stuff prior. It was harder to tell which doors were ones you could go through, they were using the metal shutters with just a regular light to mark which ones were useable. I'd gotten used to the red or green of all the other doors. I'll also say it was a bit on me, as I was being blind and dumb and missed a pretty clear path. Just little things adding up and only for those two levels. Never had any issues finding where to go before.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not really.
That section where you deal with the Synths in the Hazmat suites might be a little harder though. Because you need to distract them long enough to use the terminals.

I used the terminals without distracting them. ;)

ElTopo

Banned
I used the terminals without distracting them. ;)

Every time I tried to do it, they would hang out right in front of the terminals (and yes, in both rooms) and if I tried to distract them, they would endlessly chase me, even if I crouched. I had to use a noisemaker and electrocute two of them, I could never kill the other two in the other room and just skipped them.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You know, in many ways this game feels like a game that was designed around the early 2000s than around what most modern AAA games try to do these days (although it seems that this is starting to fade out) and I really love it for it. I think the save system is perfect and helps make the game on keeping you on your toes and worrying because you actually have to make a lot of effort to keep alive than being hand guided. It's awesome.

I agree, although not quite as unforgiving as games from 15yrs ago it is pretty close given what constitutes as a game these days with narrow, linear paths, highlighted routes, constant checkpoints and regenerating health.

It's interesting reading the love and the hate from both sides of the fence.

Carm

So how long can you actually keep the motion tracker up before he hears you?

I try and just fast equip it and then take it down before anything beeps

In my experience it only hears the tracker when it's really close, about 0.20 and under.

Yea, that's about right, a little over 20 though. I spent 2 hours last night, messing around with the Alien in the same spot in Mission 10.

4(maybe 5) vents
1 locker
1 Alien
1 Flamethrower

Lets play a game

I never died till this video below while hiding in the same exact locker. So yea, anything under 30 I wouldn't pull out the motion tracker in a locker when it's this close.

Mission 10, extremely small spoiler in that you see a direction sign with 3 locations on it.
http://youtu.be/FrSVPcGfNFA?t=5m19s

Edit: if you watch earlier in the video I actually pull out the motion tracker and it's only .17 away but, it was in the other room behind the door. So I'm thinking it has to be in the same room and in your visible range maybe.

Been taking this game really slowly so far just to take in the atmosphere and everything, and wow it's like you're in an Alien movie. Around 4 hours in so far and only had my first encounter with the Alien, just wow.

I wish this game was shorter, so I could rent it for a few days and beat it in two or three sittings.

I'm turned away by it by how much it apparently drags, but something inside of me still wants to play it. I guess it's the Alien fan inside of me, but I've never been a super fan.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I wish this game was shorter, so I could rent it for a few days and beat it in two or three sittings.

I'm turned away by it by how much it apparently drags, but something inside of me still wants to play it. I guess it's the Alien fan inside of me, but I've never been a super fan.

I am on mission 10 and it hasn't really dragged yet. This is actually the most intense as it has been and this mission is long as hell.

Chabbles

How about buy it ? Its a brilliant game.. or just rent it for afew days extra.

Pakoe

Just got done after 15 hours, of one the best games i've played, ever i think.
Sure it had some things that made me rage, but overall the total package was perfect.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Does killing the Working Joes count as a fail for trying to go for the 'No Kills' cheevo/troph? I got grabbed by one I thought was dead on the ground and the qte forced me to kill it.

DukeBobby

Does killing the Working Joes count as a fail for trying to go for the 'No Kills' cheevo/troph? I got grabbed by one I thought was dead on the ground and the qte forced me to kill it.

The achievement is for finishing the game without killing any humans. Working Joes aren't human, so no.

Bumhead

Banned
Interesting to see others have a bit of beef with Mission 10.

Came here specifically to comment about that. I feel like I've spent as much time here as I have with the rest of the game up to now. Even though some of that was my fault.
I completely forgot that not all Working Joe's are hostile. Trying to deal with or avoid Synthetics that never wanted to attack me anyway cost me a LOT of time!
. But yeah, it's a long ass chapter, despite at least one obvious cut off point that could have split it to 2. The Alien is fucking pissed on this level too, for me.

Not really a complaint though. I seriously love this game.

Toa TAK

Banned
I actually really loved Chapter 10.
It's length was great and the mission was pretty fun overall. It helps that it ended pretty chaotically, and that the entire time that Alien was agitated as all hell. It didn't let up for a moment.

The Cowboy

So, i started to do the DLC today and decided to do it full movie mode, i set the movie aspect ratio etc and turned on film grain to maximum for the extra cinematic feel - is it just me or does the film grain not work at all? (on PC), no matter what setting i put it on i looks exactly the same as though its not on at all.

Anyone have this issue, and if so have you managed to fix it?.

Astral

Interesting to see others have a bit of beef with Mission 10.

Came here specifically to comment about that. I feel like I've spent as much time here as I have with the rest of the game up to now. Even though some of that was my fault.
I completely forgot that not all Working Joe's are hostile. Trying to deal with or avoid Synthetics that never wanted to attack me anyway cost me a LOT of time!
. But yeah, it's a long ass chapter, despite at least one obvious cut off point that could have split it to 2. The Alien is fucking pissed on this level too, for me.

Not really a complaint though. I seriously love this game.

Yeah I wasted so much time because I didn't realize that. My alien was pissed too lol. I think it was all the flamethrower abuse.

ElTopo

Banned
Anyone else re-watching the Alien films? I started with the Assembly Cut of 3 (it was my introduction to the franchise) and it still holds up I think. Damn underrated film. Gonna' watch Aliens next.

Decided to open my PS4 Nostromo Edition. Early impressions:

-The game doesn't have great textures, geometry or animation, but it makes up for that with fog, lighting and carefully placed bits of detail. Looks stunning; some rooms took my breath away in ways that other PS4 lookers haven't. Art design goes a long way.
-The story does its job very well. Nothing garish so far. Lots of little touches remind me that this is someone else's sequel to a classic movie, which is a good design approach.
-A few technical issues. Small bits of pop in, the usual cutscene stutter. Oh well, no big deal.
-The intro is a beautiful slow burn. It's not boring at all, it's tense and building just like the movie does.
-It's been very tense so far, but I wouldn't say it's scary or ooga gooba. It's way more subtle than that. I love that its methodology of horror is different.
-I can see why some reviewers don't like it. The game has a narrow focus. The stealth used here could feel frustrating to some people (maybe me after a while).
-There's a lot in this game I expect to see used for the rest of the generation. Lots of creative choices that paid off.

Top Bottom