• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

ViviOggi

Oh, I had decided that because I only noticed the bug post flamethrower, that it was all the liquid fuel sloshing about.

You know what that actually makes a ton of sense, I'm near the end of the mission where you get the flamethrower and also don't remember encountering it before. I've read about the spacesuit thing several times here so it being flamethrower-related never crossed my mind.

The sound's a bit loud, though, if that was their intention.

€: Yeah, it's the exact same sound you get when you move around while aiming the flamethrower. The bug is just that the sound is permanent even when you unequip it. It stopped as soon as I equipped the Revolver and aimed with it just now, if this works consistently it's not that big of a deal I guess.

Οk without any kind of spoilers please (sorry for bolding and underlining it, just my OCD about spoilers) I am playing on Hard and I am on mission 11 now and so far I can manage my way through the game without many issues.

Am I good for the rest of the game? Or are there any frustrating rage/quit parts? My question is, what I've experienced as of now is representative of the "hard" difficulty or are there any crazy spikes?

Pls no spoilers, and thank you.

Having gone from 11 to 15 last night, I can tell you that it doesn't get much more difficult. One part of chapter 15 is tricky, but I wouldn't call it rage inducing.

My phone isn't letting me copy and paste this quote into my edit. Sorry for using up back to back posts.

SO.... I am on chapter 15 I think I love the game, has made me jump quite a few times,
I really like that the alien isn't just on rails and it constantly makes you need to check what you're doing and your game plan, I am playing through on hard which is indeed a challenge I really like this game.

The mission when you find the massive nest under the reactor. MAN WHAT AN AWESOME AWESOME LEVEL, those working joes though, such pricks, somehow managed to get past them by going back to the start area then hugging the opposite wall and just sprinting away... IDK how but I felt awesome

I would also like to say thank god Ripley is a skinny female, As if you were say peter griffin or something trying to get in half the hiding spots you'd be 99% fucked.

Using this to reintroduce the alie back into the game was brilliant. Just when I had been pretty much desensitized to her presence, I was in her nest with facehuggers. Lordy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if I had more spare time in my life, I'd spend it replaying this game on hard mode and then regretting it once I start stressing out again

ICPEE

Just minding my own business when all of a sudden

alien_gif_1_by_chabbles-d82lohb.gif
Lol

I can only play this game in small sessions, i get anxiety from playing it hahaha, shit is too tense.
When I'm playing I often think "this isn't so bad; I've been far more stressed in games before," but then I'll realize my neck is sore from being clenched in place for hours.

Solidsoul

Banned
I just finished the game, I will be starting the Nostromo DLC next. For anyone still debating on buying Isolation, if you are an Alien fan what the hell are you waiting for? This game could not do a better job of being a sequel to the movie no matter how much harder they tried. It's a tribute to everything that was Alien and none of the sequels that followed it.

I'd go as far as to say this is the second best piece of Alien media only to the original movie itself, even Aliens doesn't do Alien a sequel as proper as this game does IMO.

The game has some amazing lighting and a beautiful true-to-form art design. There are so many moments where i just stopped and said to myself "This is the Alien game I've always wanted, the one fans have always asked for."

Having said all those wonderful things i'd like to point out two flaws.

Number one is the performance issues. I played the Xbox One version which of course has the short end of the stick when it comes to current-gen offerings but I've heard (As you all have from DF) the problems persist on the other platforms as well. Frames will drop often in game mostly when stuff is getting intense but sometimes it will just drop for what seems like no reason.

Number two is just how much the game drags towards the end. Don't get me wrong, every moment was enjoyable and more content for your buck is always great but i really feel like they could have condensed the game a bit more and changed the flow a bit. I thought i was at the end of the game several different times but it always seemed to keep going where you never thought it would.

All in all if i was going to let those two issues slide i'd give it a 9/10 but being critical and including those gripes it's definitely a solid 8 anyway you look at it. It honestly seems criminal IGN gave this game a 5.9. I can't see that score in any capacity. By the way, if you get scared (or jump a lot) this game isn't near as bad as stuff like Amnesia or Outlast...i jump really easily and between the amazing sound effects and my radar, more times than not i was prepared for the alien's presence.

Basically, if you're considering this game BUY IT!

EDIT: Just beat the entire Nostromo DLC in 25 mins. Slightly nostalgic but ultimately very short and uninspired. I just realized the other half of Nostromo DLC is only if you pre-ordered the game at Gamestop...that really sucks.

Sega said:
Consumers who pre-order at GameStop will exclusively also receive "Last Survivor" in which players pick up the story as Ripley tries to escape on the Narcissus. On hearing the screams of Lambert and Parker, players must navigate their way back down through the Nostromo in order to activate the self-destruct sequence, before retracing their steps back to the Narcissus shuttle and their escape.

http://kotaku.com/original-cast-of-alien-joins-isolation-as-pre-order-1602308094

You know what that actually makes a ton of sense, I'm near the end of the mission where you get the flamethrower and also don't remember encountering it before. I've read about the spacesuit thing several times here so it being flamethrower-related never crossed my mind.

The sound's a bit loud, though, if that was their intention.

€: Yeah, it's the exact same sound you get when you move around while aiming the flamethrower. The bug is just that the sound is permanent even when you unequip it. It stopped as soon as I equipped the Revolver and aimed with it just now, if this works consistently it's not that big of a deal I guess.

Can you fucking spoiler tag shit...

fuck me.

One complaint I have is transitions between levels and missions are sometimes weak. There isn't even a cutscene covering
your flight on the ambulance vessel out to the Marlow's ship
. It's kind of jarring and even disorienting to just
press A in the cockpit, fade to black, and come back with a different level attached to the back door.

Sound design in this game is immense, the best of its class. I especially love how the door opening sound can be mistaken for the alien, ha.

Does anybody else (PC version) have an issue with no surround mixing? My receiver is decoding as Dolby Digital, but there doesn't appear to be any true rear-channel sounds. If I put a sound source behind my character, it still comes out of the front channels, and there doesn't appear to be any independent rear-channel audio.

Had the same issue with Bioshock Infinite.

ViviOggi

Can you fucking spoiler tag shit...

fuck me.

What the flying fuck are you on about? I'm always careful with spoilers and literally all that post reveals is that you obtain a flamethrower during an unspecified mission, an item that has been mentioned in most reviews and on pretty much any page of this thread, untagged. You put on a spacesuit 15 minutes into the game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I finished the game on hard yesterday. It was tough in spots, but manageable throughout, and I was eventually able to avoid the alien fairly easily. For the times I was caught, I feel like I'd probably have been caught/killed on normal/easy as well. Does anyone know exactly what is "harder" about hard, compared with the other two difficulties? I know normal enemies hit harder, but does the alien have an easier time detecting you on hard, or appear more frequently?

CHC

The bug that makes it sound like you're moving around in a spacesuit is so irritating, they really should issue a patch fixing the common glitches like this one and equipment models being spawned floating in the air.

To anyone with this annoying bug - just pop out the motion detector and jiggle the camera for a quick second. Super easy fix for now, though hopefully they'll patch it soon!

Skele7on

Banned
My phone isn't letting me copy and paste this quote into my edit. Sorry for using up back to back posts.

Using this to reintroduce the alie back into the game was brilliant. Just when I had been pretty much desensitized to her presence, I was in her nest with facehuggers. Lordy.

the face huggers made me spill TWO beers and cry a bit. good god I love this game.

The one guy that was watching my stream was laughing and shrieking with me.
One point you could tell I got scared as my screen just JERKED.

Playing this game a little tipsy is amazing would recommend...

Anyone had weird glitches of weapons just in the air doing nothing?

Scoot2005

Banned
I don't know if people know this or not but I'll post it anyway. If you don't have all the components to build an item you can still commit the ones you do have and it will stay committed. It's a good way to open up spaces in your inventory and it also cuts down on time when crafting by already having the pieces committed. You can actually have an item ready to craft even if your inventory is full of that particular item I believe. An example would be having 3 flashbangs already. You can't hold anymore but you can commit the components to the next one and they stay ready to be crafted.

Interfectum

I don't know if people know this or not but I'll post it anyway. If you don't have all the components to build an item you can still commit the ones you do have and it will stay committed. It's a good way to open up spaces in your inventory and it also cuts down on time when crafting by already having the pieces committed. You can actually have an item ready to craft even if your inventory is full of that particular item I believe. An example would be having 3 flashbangs already. You can't hold anymore but you can commit the components to the next one and they stay ready to be crafted.

Fuck, thanks for this. I was wondering if that were the case last night but I never experimented.

DieH@rd

Banned

Thanks for this.

The Cowboy

It seems to follow the movie scrip perfectly for me when i choose Dallas in Crew Expendable, i get to the main vents section and Lambert shouts out its right thee with me and - DEAD (i love this game).

He said he was sprinting, so maybe it heard the breathing. Could have been the motion scanner or an external mic too. It's never got me from in a locker, and I use those things a lot.

I was watching a friend play this weekend for a few hours. Early in the night, he frequently used the lockers to hide and the xeno NEVER opened them up.

However, as the night progressed, the xeno checked them more and more often, to where it was almost guaranteed the locker would be checked if he got in them.

Luckily, he learned the button prompts to hide/hold breath, but I am curious how the AI works in this regard. Could have been a complete coincidence. He didn't have the sound/mic sensor turned on, btw.

shiba5

Number two is just how much the game drags towards the end. Don't get me wrong, every moment was enjoyable and more content for your buck is always great but i really feel like they could have condensed the game a bit more and changed the flow a bit. I thought i was at the end of the game several different times but it always seemed to keep going where you never thought it would.

I too thought that the game was too long for a survival horror game, but then I started thinking about how much content there is - could almost be two games. Just in terms of terms of value, you get a lot for your money.
P.S. I also got the Last Survivor DLC when I downloaded on Steam. I wasn't expecting that.

shiba5

I was watching a friend play this weekend for a few hours. Early in the night, he frequently used the lockers to hide and the xeno NEVER opened them up.

However, as the night progressed, the xeno checked them more and more often, to where it was almost guaranteed the locker would be checked if he got in them.

Luckily, he learned the button prompts to hide/hold breath, but I am curious how the AI works in this regard. Could have been a complete coincidence. He didn't have the sound/mic sensor turned on, btw.

It learns. Try jumping in and out of the same locker when it's around and watch what happens. It will start checking the room more frequently and then the locker itself.

Scoot2005

Banned
I may have already asked this but is there a quick way to take out working joes? Does the E.M.P. kill them or stun them. These things are like my worst fucking enemy lol.

God damn this game is LONG!! How is this not over after chp14?

I'm not conplaining, because I am loving every min of it. It is just so unusual for a game to be this long these days.

I just realized the other half of Nostromo DLC is only if you pre-ordered the game at Gamestop...that really sucks.
Yep. This was the first and probably last PC game I preordered from GameStop. But it was so worth it. Last Survivor is really really good.

One complaint I have is transitions between levels and missions are sometimes weak. There isn't even a cutscene covering
your flight on the ambulance vessel out to the Marlow's ship
. It's kind of jarring and even disorienting to just
press A in the cockpit, fade to black, and come back with a different level attached to the back door.
Yeah I noticed this started happening a lot in the last few chapters of the game.
The most jarring of all is when you enter the nest.

S1kkZ

gamebreaking bug?

i am in mission 16 right now and my right analog stick doesnt work. tried everything (reconnect, reload, different controller, works fine in every other game). it works fine until i
step into an elevatorand it loads the next area, where the soldiers/security first appear

what now? is there a workaround?

gamebreaking bug?

i am in mission 16 right now and my right analog stick doesnt work. tried everything (reconnect, reload, different controller, works fine in every other game). it works fine until i
step into an elevatorand it loads the next area, where the soldiers/security first appear

what now? is there a workaround?

Sometimes on save/load points if you've had a button pressed down it doesn't register it anymore. You have to restart the game. I've had that happen a few time with the triggers on the PS4 controller.

S1kkZ

Sometimes on save/load points if you've had a button pressed down it doesn't register it anymore. You have to restart the game. I've had that happen a few time with the triggers on the PS4 controller.

no button was pressed, i restarted, still the same issue.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Go to the room w/ the save point. Across from that room is a vent. Once you exit the vent, you will be in a room. Leave the room. Then, you will see a room directly in front of you. Do not to into that room, instead head to the room directly to the right. A-29? I believe. Search the body on the ground, grab the key card, and on the map you should see a room that will let you use the security scanner and cut through the map a bit and lead you safely back to wherever you need.
Hope that helps.

Can someone detail me this a little bit more..? I am stuck and a little bit frustrated....

Bumhead

Banned
I may have already asked this but is there a quick way to take out working joes? Does the E.M.P. kill them or stun them. These things are like my worst fucking enemy lol.

It stuns them for long enough to melee kill them without interruption.

However, be warned that they create a hell of a lot more noise and chaos than I ever expected them to make. The one and only time I've used the EMP thus far I absolutely shit myself at how much light and noise it created, knowing that it would bring the Alien right to me. Which sure enough.. it did.

They're great for buying yourself time from or taking out the Synthetics but.. caution required.

Did anyone encounter the Alien in vents early in the game? It wasn't until late in the game where it started to go in there with me (which scared the shit out me because I thought it was safe up until that point).

Top Bottom