• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Something that occurred to me after reading some more reactions to the game after I finished it, regarding the Alien AI:

People are like "how does the alien know where you are at all times and is always on the level you're on?"

And the ending of the game basically explains that by saying "It was never just an Alien. You just thought it was."
Yeah, I thought about this a lot and it creeped me the hell out.

The moment where you see
the flood of xenos coming up from the destroyed hive is chilling.

Does the Alien reset its position after every save? It may have saved you from having a load that places it right behind you every time.
Yes, actually. I've managed one or two saves when it was furious at me nearby, died seconds after saving, and then reloaded to an empty room. Kind of immersion-killing, but there you go.

"Hostiles Nearby" never deters me from getting a save in for that reason.

Scoot2005

Banned
Does the Alien reset its position after every save? It may have saved you from having a load that places it right behind you every time.

Considering I just died 6 times with a relative quickness....I don't think so. It does act differently each time though. It really has no pattern that can be mapped. It's amazing but it leads to really cheap and infuriating deaths.

Edit - Or Not^^

Also, I know it spawns from the overhead vents but does it spawn or patrol inside the side vents?

Yes and no. It can show up in the vents (not only via the round & ordinary entrances you use to enter the vents), but it won't patrol in the vents to my knowledge. If it sees/hears you in the vents, it will go and look for you and probably find you.

But I don't believe "spawn" is the right word. You can almost always hear and see it with the motion tracker before it shows up.

Yes, actually. I've managed one or two saves when it was furious at me nearby, died seconds after saving, and then reloaded to an empty room. Kind of immersion-killing, but there you go.

"Hostiles Nearby" never deters me from getting a save in for that reason.
Odd. The two times I tried that, the enemy was still in the vicinity and I was forced to revert to a previous save.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I am debating between this and evil within.

Any quick feedback?

The game is about atmosphere and immersion. If you're a fan of the series, or sci-fi/horror, you owe it to yourself to give the game a shot.

It's not perfect, it's not forgiving, but it largely accomplishes what it sets out to do. It's also a long game.

DieH@rd

Banned
ymwuid.gif

6a0134873aa66a970c014x1uhb.png

3AQmK.gif

EGM1966

Seems to from what I can tell. I had the usual string of early deaths in Medical and every time the Alien seemed to start from somewhere fresh (not spots miles apart from say a different corridor or room).

Yes and no. It can show up in the vents (not only via the round & ordinary entrances you use to enter the vents), but it won't patrol in the vents to my knowledge. If it sees/hears you in the vents, it will go and look for you and probably find you.

But I don't believe "spawn" is the right word. You can almost always hear and see it with the motion tracker before it shows up.

I've had it patrol in the vents in Ch.5 without having entered them myself, but that was the only occurrence.

Catdaddy

Seems to from what I can tell. I had the usual string of early deaths in Medical and every time the Alien seemed to start from somewhere fresh (not spots miles apart from say a different corridor or room).

Same experience here, once he was right outside a room I dropped into, finally I got a clean run and didn't see him once and only a couple of beeps on the tracker.

Valravn

Fuuuuuu.

Best spoiler tag this

Only read when you finished the game or something:

Ricardo is dead and in in this part of the game one of the many Aliens knows actually in what room you are. And to make things easier, he can enter vents! Totally shit my pants when he came running straight for me and dived in the vent.

Soi-Fong

This game will legit give you a heart attack in the Rift... Running it at max settings except SSAO and at a smooth 75 hz without judder. The experience is something else entirely and it's a looker as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Same. I threw a noise maker just to enter the code. The bullshit started AFTER that. Fuck the medical bay.
Yeah, missed the noise Blueprints. Fuck, I would really need some of those. Where do you found them? I will try to go back and find them. I helped out with some flares, but noises were much better.

Alien does not fuck around from that point forward. You will get wrecked! I am playing on medium and can't imagine playing this on a harder difficulty level. I think it would be pretty frustrating.
...and I am playing on hard D:

Teknoman

This game will legit give you a heart attack in the Rift... Running it at max settings except SSAO and at a smooth 75 hz without judder. The experience is something else entirely and it's a looker as well.

Yeah...I love survival horror games, but my heart would probably be going pretty fast with the sound design + the general tenseness of the situation.

Scoot2005

Banned
Yeah, missed the noise Blueprints. Fuck, I would really need some of those. Where do you found them? I will try to go back and find them. I helped out with some flares, but noises were much better.

...and I am playing on hard D:

It's in a room a table. The room is locked with a maintenance jack. I haven't missed it in my 2 initial plays so idk if your just missing it or what. You do get upgrades that you can find later so you don't need to restart. Just... Improvise.

Alien does not fuck around from that point forward. You will get wrecked! I am playing on medium and can't imagine playing this on a harder difficulty level. I think it would be pretty frustrating.

Is it this annoyingly aggressive at all times?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's in a room a table. The room is locked with a maintenance jack. I haven't missed it in my 2 initial plays so idk if your just missing it or what. You do get upgrades that you can find later so you don't need to restart. Just... Improvise.

Can I go back? Or does the game make backtracking impossible?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm about to hit mission 11 and I just don't see where the unfair Alien complaints are stemming from. I'm using the motion tracker/crouching and while I have died multiple times so far, I feel as if the vast majority of them where caused by a mistake on my part and not "cheap" AI. I've also found that the Alien will monitor the overall area of the mission until he hears/spots you, then it will frequent the area in which you are in. So I've gone through full missions without the Alien ever seeing me and therefore only seeing it maybe three times total (but constantly hearing it roaming about in the vents).

Maybe I've just gotten lucky and my experience has been different than others' experiences, but the alien-related complaints seem exaggerated from what I am playing.

Scoot2005

Banned
Can I go back? Or does the game make backtracking impossible?

That I don't know. I know there is backtracking in the game but I don't know if you'll be able to go back to that area. I also have no idea if you'll find the upgrade sooner. Sorry. I'd say google it but my searches have been hit or miss so far.

I was playing with a group of friends last night, and we were passing the controller around between deaths. One of my friends got the motion tracker and melee buttons mixed up, and accidentally started smacking the computer in front of him with the wrench. We all started yelling to hide, but it was too late - he found the motion tracker button, only to reveal a green dot FLYING towards the room we were in. I've never seen that fucker move so fast. He killed us instantly, but it was too hilarious to be scary.

So yeah, don't hit things with the melee attack.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The atmosphere and sound design in this game is truly second to none.
So so good. This is basically System Shock 3 minus the more RPG elements. Many of the things that made Shock 2 so intense are here. Haven't felt this kind of tension from a game like this in ages.

DukeBobby

Finished this about an hour ago.

What a fantastic experience. I was not expecting a game of this caliber. This will definitely be in my top 5 by the end of the year.

I think I'll look back fondly on this game for years to come. I've heard the term 'flawed masterpiece' being thrown around in this thread. That's exactly what this game is. Not perfect by any means, but it's everything I could ever want from an Alien game.

Bravo, Creative Assembly. Bravo.

Catdaddy

Regarding crafting, can you store/commit some of the components on items you would like to build but may not have everything you need?

I was watching a Let's Play for a part that I seem to be having problems and looked like the guy was doing this (at work now so can't test until later)

Scoot2005

Banned
Regarding crafting, can you store/commit some of the components on items you would like to build but may not have everything you need?

I was watching a Let's Play for a part that I seem to be having problems and looked like the guy was doing this (at work now so can't test until later)

Yes. Once you commit a component you can't undo it however.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well i did. It was scary. Because when i passed the opening, it came out again.

It definitely goes through the floor vents. It did this numerous times with me at the end of Mission 10. I was trying to be cute and non-confrontational and it failed.

One thing I disliked about Hard difficulty is that crafting materials and ammo were still plentiful. I think a TLoU-style Survivor difficulty with less drops would've been even better.

Top Bottom