• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Did anyone encounter the Alien in vents early in the game? It wasn't until late in the game where it started to go in there with me (which scared the shit out me because I thought it was safe up until that point).
Only once, in
medical
. It was pretty funny (in retrospect). I was crouched beneath a vent opening, listening to the alien banging about and wondering if it was safe to go up...

...and then I realized the banging was coming from inside the vent.

Only once, in
medical
. It was pretty funny (in retrospect). I was crouched beneath a vent opening, listening to the alien banging about and wondering if it was safe to go up...

It must have seen you get in the vent. Otherwise, I have never seen it go into the floor vents.

Only once, in
medical

It must have seen you get in the vent. Otherwise, I have never seen it go into the floor vents.
Oh wow, I didn't know they could go into the floor vents either! I meant the vents w the circular openings.

Grisby

Did anyone encounter the Alien in vents early in the game? It wasn't until late in the game where it started to go in there with me (which scared the shit out me because I thought it was safe up until that point).
I had him pass through me one time when I was entering a vent. He was coming out just as I was going in. Crazy glitch but it was so a bit scary.
Man, how do you get killed by the tail? I always die with him pouncing on my face.

:(
Get killed from behind.

Something that occurred to me after reading some more reactions to the game after I finished it, regarding the Alien AI:

People are like "how does the alien know where you are at all times and is always on the level you're on?"

And the ending of the game basically explains that by saying "It was never just an Alien. You just thought it was."

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Something that occurred to me after reading some more reactions to the game after I finished it, regarding the Alien AI:

People are like "how does the alien know where you are at all times and is always on the level you're on?"

And the ending of the game basically explains that by saying "It was never just an Alien. You just thought it was.[/i]

To me it felt like
the Xeno was the same one through the game. Like it latched on to Ripley and never left her alone. It's why he learns how you play as you go through the game.

domlolz

Banned
is there a good lets play/walkthrough of this game that people recommend? ideally with little commentary.

i'm pretty sure i cant play this at all because i cant play scary games but i'd like to watch a bit and see if its a game i could perhaps handle

pulled a late night game session and finished this last night/this morning. my favourite game of next gen so far, by a long shot. if you like aliens at all do not hesitate to pick this up immediately

i'll list a few of my cons:
-aliasing on the ps4 version at least, is distracting. its the worst ive seen it on any next gen game. are they even using any AA here? or is it the design of the game that makes it stand out so much? otherwise this game is beautiful
-repetitive missions.. i enjoyed all of them due to the environment/intensity/sound design. but the game could have used with having some of the "turn the power on" objectives cut out. this goes back to it being a long game, IMO they could have shaved off 2 - 3 hours and it would have been for the better
-theres a few odd glitches, but nothing game breaking. floating weapons with no one holding them, repeating sound logs after dying, etc... nothing game breaking but i died on the same spot 5 - 6 times and had to hear the same 30 second audio log over and over again, which wasn't even from that part of the level oddly enough, it was something i listened to/found like 30 mins earlier in the level

this game is like bioshock and dead space 1 had a baby, with a badass xenomorph being the enemy instead of necromorphs

PS there is a shout out to jonesy in one of the nostromo logs later in the game ;)

EGM1966

Oh wow, I didn't know they could go into the floor vents either! I meant the vents w the circular openings.
One time I was creeping through the floor vents when ahead of me the hatch opens and two bony legs drop through... I started to back away but of course the second it folded itself fully down into the vent it was after me.

Biggest shock for me yet. I knew it would enter vents but had no idea it would open floor panel to join you in vents down below. I did accidently melee wall just before so it might only happen if you give yourself away.

Interfectum

ymwuid.gif

Chiggs

Gold Member
Some head-scratching moments:

Remember when you have to summon that android to help you find that missing piece for the elevator? So, after playing around with that scene, I noticed that there was an exclamation mark on the map in that room. Naturally, I walk over to it and press it (emergency override button). This button serves no purpose whatsoever, except for-DRUMROLL-to sound an alarm which summons the Alien. WTF.

When Kuhlman gets attacked in that sealed off room by the Alien, if you run back to the original room where you first met him, the original cut scene starts playing, but only Ripley's lines are delivered. Also, there is no unfolding violence like I hoped.

Others have mentioned this, but it's lame the Alien ignores the androids.It breaks immersion for me. Especially when you have summoned the androids to help you.

Finally picked up the game yesterday and ran into some gameplay halting bugs right away. Didn't make a great first impression on me, but will keep playing anyway.

At the beginning the guy you talk to in the med bay, if you play with the CT scan machine and the bed touches his body when he walks around it fails to trigger him walking to the main deck and you can't advance the game.

The first time you use a melee attack, if you press R2 and you're close enough to the character that the jack clips through him they get locked in that chokehold stuggle, the audio keeps playing and you can't advance the game.

Dunno if these are exactly spoilers but apparently the in game scripting engine breaks if the characters clip through another character or the level geometry. CA should really issue a patch for that.

Atmosphere is great though.

Never run. Ever. EVER.
If the alien isn't around (don't hear banging around in vents or stomping in the distance), you can run pretty safely. Otherwise, best to stick to walking.

Anyway, I found that good surround headphones helped me pinpoint the alien's distance better than the motion tracker did lol.

Chiggs

Gold Member
If the alien isn't around (don't hear banging around in vents or stomping in the distance), you can run pretty safely. Otherwise, best to stick to walking.

Anyway, I found that good surround headphones helped me pinpoint the alien's distance better than the motion tracker did lol.

Yeah, I switched to my Corsair H2100s and stopped using the motion tracker entirely, except for the end of Mission 10. It served no purpose.

Yeah, I switched to my Corsair H2100s and stopped using the motion tracker entirely, except for the end of Mission 10. It served no purpose.
I still needed it for the android sections, though. I hated fighting those fuckers so I avoided them as much as I could.

ezekial45

Banned
Some head-scratching moments:

3. Others have mentioned this, but it's lame the Alien ignores the androids.It breaks immersion for me. Especially when you have summoned the androids to help you.

You don't have to spoiler tag this. The Alien doesn't attack the Androids because they're not human, or living creatures for that matter. They don't have pheromones or any other aspect to clue the creature in that they're something more than a piece of the environment.

Chiggs

Gold Member
You don't have to spoiler tag this. The Alien doesn't attack the Androids because they're not human, or living creatures for that matter. They don't have pheromones or any other aspect to clue the creature in that they're something more than a piece of the environment.

Better safe than sorry with the spoiler stuff. :)

I guess the Alien queen was just really pissed off at Bishop for helping Ripley, Newt and Hicks escape.

Scoot2005

Banned
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT! I was hiding in a locker, had to hold my breath. Successful hiding attempt. Alien leaves the room and goes around the corner. I lean forward to start breathing again THEN BOOM the Alien teleports straight to the locker. Literally teleported right into the animation where it grabs the door and rips it off. FUCKING BULLSHIT.

HAPPENED IN MEDICAL TO BOOT

ezekial45

Banned

I guess the Alien queen was just really pissed off at Bishop for helping Ripley, Newt and Hicks escape.
Or he (in the case of the Queen, it) was just in the way of Ripley and Newt. The Queen ignored Bishop after that, though.

Or James thought it would make for a really great shot and reveal for the Queen and didn't think of repercussions to lore. :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT! I was hiding in a locker, had to hold my breath. Successful hiding attempt. Alien leaves the room and goes around the corner. I lean forward to start breathing again THEN BOOM the Alien teleports straight to the locker. Literally teleported right into the animation where it grabs the door and rips it off. FUCKING BULLSHIT.

HAPPENED IN MEDICAL TO BOOT

Yeah, it's annoying and cheap. Save often is the best advice I can give you; also desks and tables are better than lockers since you can move when its back is turned.

Lockers are death traps.

Scoot2005

Banned
Yeah, it's annoying and cheap. Save often is the best advice I can give you; also desks and tables are better than lockers since you can move when its back is turned.

Lockers are death traps.

Is the Alien way more sensitive to the motion tracker beeps or is it just me?

And I'm anal retentive about saving as much as possible.

Top Bottom